Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Ok, so I've only had my new iPhone SE for a day so have only taken a handful of photos but already there is a noticeable difference - a noticeable improvement - from my old, 1st generation, iPhone SE. Here are just a couple of snaps.

View attachment 913412 View attachment 913413
[automerge]1589010749[/automerge]
One thing I've noticed is with my 1st generation SE my photos always came out as JPG but with my new SE they are in HEIC format. I was unable to upload the HEIC ones on this forum, so converted them to JPG first. Does MacRumors not allow HEIC or do I need to alter a setting so my photos come out as JPG's from now on? Bit of a novice with regards to this!

I just have to say I love the mud kitchen - my husband is building my grandson one of these for his birthday.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
711F5298-AA61-4B46-A8DB-D5F05A6374D1.jpeg
12675807-E080-4504-8B66-BAD113B96069.jpeg

Ryguy18

macrumors member
May 15, 2020
Jersey City
Let's see if this works! Received my SE2 today and sampled some quick shots on the Pixel 4XL stock cam vs the SE2 using stock cam w/focos for portraits.

Focos app portait mode has trouble with objects that vary in depth but works very well for flat or small objects. Example here is the aloe plant I couldn't fully get into view on the SE vs P4. Pixel isn't perfect either and also brings side objects into clear view. Might try halide next for portraits. Some of the shots from above are great and I'm looking forward to playing around with new SE.

SE2:
2ZQ7x2d.jpg

P4:
5pyjyvz.jpg

Last edited:

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Let's see if this works! Received my SE2 today and sampled some quick shots on the Pixel 4XL stock cam vs the SE2 using stock cam w/focos for portraits.

Focos app portait mode has trouble with objects that vary in depth but works very well for flat or small objects. Example here is the aloe plant I couldn't fully get into view on the SE vs P4. Pixel isn't perfect either and also brings side objects into clear view. Might try halide next for portraits. Some of the shots from above are great and I'm looking forward to playing around with new SE.

SE2:
2ZQ7x2d.jpg

P4:
5pyjyvz.jpg

Focos app isn't the best, Halide is much better and will produce better results. With Focos you often need to go onto the paintbrush and paint in the edge detection of the object you want in focus, or the background if you want it blurred using the colours for each level of bokeh.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Really nice iPhone SE pictures everyone. I took some photos yesterday on my SE yesterday and am impressed with the results, definitely an improvement from my 8 Plus. I have a problem however, I took a couple of Portrait pics where the background blurs, but when I view them on my iPad via photo stream, the image appears as normal with no portrait/blur effect! This is very annoying as was looking forward to seeing the portrait effect on a bigger screen. Anyone know how to enable Photo stream so it shows the portrait images on my iPad as it was taken on the iPhone?

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Really nice iPhone SE pictures everyone. I took some photos yesterday on my SE yesterday and am impressed with the results, definitely an improvement from my 8 Plus. I have a problem however, I took a couple of Portrait pics where the background blurs, but when I view them on my iPad via photo stream, the image appears as normal with no portrait/blur effect! This is very annoying as was looking forward to seeing the portrait effect on a bigger screen. Anyone know how to enable Photo stream so it shows the portrait images on my iPad as it was taken on the iPhone?

Using the stock camera app or third party one? They should save with the bokeh (blur) on the photo if it was taken that way. It seems like they are trying to revert to the regular photo, try editing the photo even if you don't actually change anything, confirm the changes and then try to view it.

Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Using the stock camera app or third party one? They should save with the bokeh (blur) on the photo if it was taken that way. It seems like they are trying to revert to the regular photo, try editing the photo even if you don't actually change anything, confirm the changes and then try to view it.
Overboost, I only ever use the stock apple camera app on the iPhone not a third party one. I did try editing the photo on my iPad, and then even if I don’t make any changes it saves it to my iPad but without the background blur portrait effect i.e stays as the regular photo. It’s odd as when I send the portrait photo from my SE to my missus via WhatsApp (missus has a galaxy s20 plus) it sends the full portrait photo bokeh effect.

Apple photos is good for the way it accumulates all your photos into one stream, so you can see all your photos on all your apple devices, but it has shortcomings like the issue I explained above. In the past I also edited images taken on my canon 1200d on photos on my Mac, but then if I share those photos to my family via a shared album, the edited images do not appear only the original ones. Annoying to say the least.

Greg Ressin

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
Hello everyone!
Does anyone here experience a problem with front camera where your face is looking kind of too white and a little bit over exposed?
Same applies not only to face but to other things and it feels like every color is whiter than it`s supposed to be.
I`ve compared my new SE`s camera to X and it seems like on X all colors are more natural and less white.

My another suggestion is that it started after I`ve spent 30 minutes or so using my phone outside
(it`s quite cold where I live rn, about 0 ℃ ) and the little change on exposure and WB came after that.

P.S. English is not my native language so I might sound funny at times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.