Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I know it’s early to think about, but what are your expectations for the 2018 Pixels?

I expect the Pixel 3 to have a 2100 x 1080p display, 4gb-6gb RAM, 845 processor, dual cameras, a stronger metal build quality, Android P of course, and better dual speakers.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Would love see a few things

Wireless charging.
Better display hopefully from Samsung.
Same size as the current Pixel 2 models.
Fingerprint sensor under the display.....maybe too soon for that would love it!

Reactions: v0lume4

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Forgot: hopefully HTC built this time!

I expect the Pixel 3 XL to be HTC built this time. HTC doesn't really work with OLED screens, so Samsung should look to supply them with additional panels. P-OLED isn't that great because LG supplied those for the Pixel 2XL.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Dual lens camera is the only thing I personally would wish for. Maybe. I don’t know. I’m really happy with Snowball as-is! I’m out of town with family right now so don’t need iMessage, so I’ve just been carrying my Pixel 2. It’s been great.

It’s hard to say what they’re going to do with Pixel 3, but I hope it wows people as much as the Pixelbook has. I’d expect to see excellent build quality and beautiful fit and finish. They had better make it stronger so Zack from JerryRig Everything can’t snap it like a graham cracker.

This is not an expectation but a fervent wish: put the headphone jack back in. I’ve been using my AKG wireless headphones from my S8+ preorder package with the Pixel 2 and the sound has been great compared to what I’m used to with my iPhone and my Beats Studio headphones. But I still like to use my wired earbuds a lot and it frustrates me that I can’t without dealing with dongles because I also have to deal with my iPhone dongles now, too. “The future” is supposed to be better, but it’s actually a big fat pain in the assets so far.

I do hope they keep making a flat display. If they make the displays all curvy like the Pixel 2 XL has, then I will probably hold onto Snowball until the extended warranty expires.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
With the current efforts to use ML to fix zooming in, I doubt they're going to add a second camera. What else do you need the second camera for?

Reactions: widgeteer

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
With the current efforts to use ML to fix zooming in, I doubt they're going to add a second camera. What else do you need the second camera for?

I have yet to use a single flagship with dual lenses that takes pics as good as the Pixel's.

Only thing that I'd request for the next Pixel is a leap in screen tech. Mine is really good but if they're charging flagship prices, it should be equal to Apple and Sammy's offerings.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I’m fine without dual cameras since the single lens on the P2XL is better than everything else on the market thanks to what Google is doing on the software side. My shortlist below for the P3 is probably similar to many others.
  • Wireless charging (not a must, but it’s a nice thing to have)
  • Better AMOLED screen
  • Trim the bezels a bit more. At least the side bezels
  • Continue to evolve the design language

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I'm cautiously hoping they slim the bezels down a little more, improve the screen quality, add a second lens (for wide-angle) to the camera and add iPhone X like gesture support via software.

Other wishes or unlikely things would be a moto mod type of color customization. Wireless charging would be cool, but not a deal breaker. Face ID (but only if Touch ID remains on the back).

Reactions: 5105973

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I have yet to use a single flagship with dual lenses that takes pics as good as the Pixel's.

Only thing that I'd request for the next Pixel is a leap in screen tech. Mine is really good but if they're charging flagship prices, it should be equal to Apple and Sammy's offerings.

It is a Samsung offering ironically with the Pixel 2. It's just not the best Samsung screen out because those are on the iPhone X and Galaxy lines. I get your point though. 1080p is more for budget level and mid-range. We definitely could benefit from HDR capable QHD screens on a 5.5-5.8" display with an 18:9 aspect ratio with the Pixel 3.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think they're trying to fix the zoon with ML is what I'm saying. They could always have one lense and have it be a super wide.
I’ll take the super wide. I really wanted one and wished I had the LG last year when I took my cousin’s kids to tour DC Museums. It’s hard to fit one exhibit into standard view on an iPhone 7 Plus I was using at the time.

Reactions: Michael Goff

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Hopefully they get the screen thing fixed. I'd like them to keep the FPR on the back, only go dual cameras if they can make it look nice, I'd like to see 16:9 on the XL, wireless charging would be great.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Never really cared about dual lens cameras before....

Before last Tuesday, that is, when I went to a Kendrick Lamar gig and my Pixel was taking great shots but a telephoto lens genuinely would have made all the difference in that scenario.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Nothing definitive. I expect those rumors to come up in a couple of months. 6gb RAM better be available for both new phones.
I hope it will be pretty, in nice colors like an HTC 11 or Samsung, but I can’t say I want it made of glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.