Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Just make a damn top bezel as thin as you need it to be for 2018 tech. No need to add ears to the top corners. This is where I think Samsung is still nailing hardware design. They don't feel the need to give into 2018 design limitations by adding a notch.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That’s what’s been rumoured
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Yuck! :confused::eek::( Disgusting.

Not notches themselves. When I had the X I really stopped seeing it when I was using the phone, except when I tried to watch a movie on it once and then, yeah, it was awful and I had to zoom out and make the picture smaller and letter boxed. :( But it was bearable.

What’s making me sick to my stomach is the very idea Google or any Android manufacturer would think that’s a necessary design choice, let alone one that is desirable and needs copying. I didn’t even think it was a great idea for Essential to make that little bump that reminds me of that thing that hangs down in the back of our throat. Apparently, neither did Essential and they had a design that didn’t need it that hadn’t been ready to implement last year. Or perhaps they decided it was too bold to implement until they saw the clone circus that’s starting to happen around the notch. I’m looking forward to Essential coming out with the pop up camera to get rid of their notch.

I don’t care if Android makers never come out with the same kind of Face ID apparatus Apple has. I find my fingerprint scanner on my Pixel 2 much more convenient and effective than Face ID was. And I was one of the lucky people for whom Face ID worked really well, until something went wonky and it stopped working and I had to re-register my face. A software issue, I presume.

Anyway, there’s nothing wrong with a top bezel. There’s nothing wrong with small bezels at all. They’re lovely. We just didn’t need ones that were two centimeters thick anymore. That’s the problem with any new movement, it always gets carried to unnecessary extremes. Whether it’s social, or political or a campaign to reduce bezels, some fruitcake always carries it too far and then a bunch of sheep jump on the bandwagon.

I never thought Samsung would be the one to show originality and restraint, but there you have it. :eek::rolleyes:

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I think the Pixel 3 will have enhanced facial recognition because the HTC U12 has “HTC Facial Unlock.” This probably isn’t something like trusted faces.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Yuck! :confused::eek::( Disgusting.

Not notches themselves. When I had the X I really stopped seeing it when I was using the phone, except when I tried to watch a movie on it once and then, yeah, it was awful and I had to zoom out and make the picture smaller and letter boxed. :( But it was bearable.

What’s making me sick to my stomach is the very idea Google or any Android manufacturer would think that’s a necessary design choice, let alone one that is desirable and needs copying. I didn’t even think it was a great idea for Essential to make that little bump that reminds me of that thing that hangs down in the back of our throat. Apparently, neither did Essential and they had a design that didn’t need it that hadn’t been ready to implement last year. Or perhaps they decided it was too bold to implement until they saw the clone circus that’s starting to happen around the notch. I’m looking forward to Essential coming out with the pop up camera to get rid of their notch.

I don’t care if Android makers never come out with the same kind of Face ID apparatus Apple has. I find my fingerprint scanner on my Pixel 2 much more convenient and effective than Face ID was. And I was one of the lucky people for whom Face ID worked really well, until something went wonky and it stopped working and I had to re-register my face. A software issue, I presume.

Anyway, there’s nothing wrong with a top bezel. There’s nothing wrong with small bezels at all. They’re lovely. We just didn’t need ones that were two centimeters thick anymore. That’s the problem with any new movement, it always gets carried to unnecessary extremes. Whether it’s social, or political or a campaign to reduce bezels, some fruitcake always carries it too far and then a bunch of sheep jump on the bandwagon.

I never thought Samsung would be the one to show originality and restraint, but there you have it. :eek::rolleyes:

After Mwc it looks like almost all android oems have copied the notch for 2018.

c731f5e46f5074ffd3d0ef79f32dbe2e.jpg

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I don't mind the X notch since that's what Apple chose and needed for the sensors used. But for other phones to copy it mostly because it's become trendy is just dumb. Be original. Make your own path.
Perhaps they see it as an efficient use of maximising the screen, rather than a trend....function over form.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
After Mwc it looks like almost all android oems have copied the notch for 2018.

c731f5e46f5074ffd3d0ef79f32dbe2e.jpg
Thanks for post that. Well, I’m glad that I’m very happy with my 8 Plus and Pixel 2. I hope to be a happy owner of an S9+ as well. And that delightful sample of iOS and Android flagship phones will definitely hold me for however long it takes for notches to go away. I’m happy to see the new rumors have Apple ditching the notches around the time I might be thinking about trading in my 8 Plus.

Again, it’s not that the notch was that horrible in actual use. I’ll give Apple and Essential a pass on it because I understand why they went with a notched choice. But these other guys are just being obnoxious. I mean look at one of the Xiaomi phones—I think it’s the Redmi Note 5 Pro. https://m.androidcentral.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-pro Great phone, but the camera bump is said to be absolutely identical to the one on the iPhone X. Get outta here with that! If my kids were to copy that blatantly in school they would be expelled. :rolleyes:

Reactions: jamezr and tbayrgs

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
There may be more truth to the notch rumors. The Android P dev preview has the system clock on the top left of the status bar. A move that OnePlus is doing in order to incorporate a notch on the OP6....

Definitely speculation in the comments that this move could signal the inclusion of a notch on the Pixel 3. Or, it could just be there so that OEMs who do use a notch can easily work with Android P.

Android P feature spotlight: Time is now shown on the left side of the status bar

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I don’t mind the notch, but I prefer something without one because it’s easier to watch something with consistent sides.

Reactions: 5105973

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
It's certainly plausible for Google to add a notch to the Pixel 3, purely based on hardware design limitations in 2018 if they are trying to go fully bezel-less, but I don't think this developer preview adds any evidence to that being a possibility.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Is a notch an ideal setup? Of course not. But all the bluster in this forum about it is much ado about nothing, IMO.

I’ve been using an X since launch and while of course I’d love to not have a notch, it really has just blended into the background in my everyday use. I don’t stare at the edge of any of my phones so it really hasn’t made a difference.

FWIW, I’ll take a notch up top if it mean I can have no chin. But if an OEM is going to use a notch layout, please only do so if it serves a valid function. Using it to ‘follow the fad’ is just ridiculous. Just my own personal opinion of course.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Is a notch an ideal setup? Of course not. But all the bluster in this forum about it is much ado about nothing, IMO.

I’ve been using an X since launch and while of course I’d love to not have a notch, it really has just blended into the background in my everyday use. I don’t stare at the edge of any of my phones so it really hasn’t made a difference.

FWIW, I’ll take a notch up top if it mean I can have no chin. But if an OEM is going to use a notch layout, please only do so if it serve a valid function. Using it to ‘follow the fad’ is just ridiculous. Just my own personal opinion of course.
Welcome back!
My only gripe with the notch is that eliminates functionality. It eliminates room where normal app notifications would be if there was no notch or if the notch stretched accross the display.
Things like a battery percentage is now gone from the iphone X but is present on the iphone 8 plus without a notch.
Now we come to hear Apple is going to eliminate the notch in the 2019 iphone models

Reactions: 5105973 and tbayrgs

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Welcome back!
My only gripe with the notch is that eliminates functionality. It eliminates room where normal app notifications would be if there was no notch or if the notch stretched accross the display.
Things like a battery percentage is now gone from the iphone X but is present on the iphone 8 plus without a notch.
Now we come to hear Apple is going to eliminate the notch in the 2019 iphone models

Don't disagree regarding the limits of the notch. I just wanted to share that for me personally, after having much the same opinion when the X was first revealed, it's quickly just blended into the background in everyday use. That section of the display has historically displayed very little information on iOS so I don't feel like I'm sacrificing much at all (Android provides more information in that same space so I concede it's a less ideal setup for that OS). The advantage it has afforded is more welcome, specifically, a smaller overall device with no added length. The move to 2:1 display ratios is making these devices really tall so I'll take a little notch as a trade-off in the meantime.

I'll absolutely welcome the day when we have true edge-to-edge displays without a notch but the iPhone X's current design hasn't been disruptive for me. As always, YMMV.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
BGR...not sure how reliable they are...had a small speculative article discussing that it’s a strong possibility Pixel 3 would have a notch and I had to agree with their reasoning why it probably would. Ugh. If they allow the notch to be disguised as a faux bezel when viewing videos and apps in which a notch would be intrusive I could be okay with it. But not if they force developers to embrace the notch the way Apple did.

Reactions: jamezr

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I don't mind the X notch since that's what Apple chose and needed for the sensors used. But for other phones to copy it mostly because it's become trendy is just dumb. Be original. Make your own path.
What's the difference? I think the others copied the full screen up top instead of the notch since most of th other notches are smaller but either way it was a bad idea. They all need it for the sensors. I like what Samsung did better instead. I don't mind a small bezel and I got a tempered glass screen protector that is white that will cover the black bezel which I like better.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I made my mind up, Pixel 3 will be my next major smartphone purchase. Once I get that, I am retiring from frequent phone switching because I won’t have time to follow news and keep up with the market as much. The differences between new phone specs became more marginalized than it was 5 years ago.

Pixel 3: top of the line hardware, timely updates, no OEM bloat, and Google’s device support.

I’ll avoid Samsung’s Note 9 because of lack of proper software support. HTC is too overpriced for my tastes. LG’s software and hardware is iffy. Sony is a non-starter. Anything else would be too much of a compromise.

Pixel 3 is my way to go. Notch or no notch.

Reactions: Cryates and 5105973

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
I made my mind up, Pixel 3 will be my next major smartphone purchase. Once I get that, I am retiring from frequent phone switching because I won’t have time to follow news and keep up with the market as much. The differences between new phone specs became more marginalized than it was 5 years ago.

Pixel 3: top of the line hardware, timely updates, no OEM bloat, and Google’s device support.

I’ll avoid Samsung’s Note 9 because of lack of proper software support. HTC is too overpriced for my tastes. LG’s software and hardware is iffy. Sony is a non-starter. Anything else would be too much of a compromise.

Pixel 3 is my way to go. Notch or no notch.

What do you use now?

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
What do you use now?

iPhone 8+. Looking to ditch iOS and go with an Android device. It's either Pixel 2 to Pixel 3 now or go with the S9+ with no plans to upgrade from that for a long time.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
iPhone 8+. Looking to ditch iOS and go with an Android device. It's either Pixel 2 to Pixel 3 now or go with the S9+ with no plans to upgrade from that for a long time.

Same boat as you. I got used to wireless charging with the iPhone 8 Plus though and no wireless charging with the pixel 2.

I also had the X for a bit and was not a fan.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Same boat as you. I got used to wireless charging with the iPhone 8 Plus though and no wireless charging with the pixel 2.

I also had the X for a bit and was not a fan.

I like the X, but it's overpriced for what it does. It also doesn't offer features to take advantage of a big screen like split-screen multitasking. It was too many hoola hoops to get the quick charge at more affordable rates too. Apple includes Galaxy like hardware and asks you to pay $1000. They can FOH with that.

The Pixel 2 felt really small and wasn't worth $600 to me when I had it. However, if I can get it for $400-$450? Then totally worth it since the Galaxy S8 and S8+ aren't at reasonable price points yet. I can get a LG G6 for $270 online, so why would I go S8/S8+ Samsung or third party sellers?

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
That’s the problem with any new movement, it always gets carried to unnecessary extremes. Whether it’s social, or political or a campaign to reduce bezels, some fruitcake always carries it too far and then a bunch of sheep jump on the bandwagon.

I’m sorry, GM. But I thought this was such a great commentary on our world that I just had to quote it. Thank you for posting it.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
There is an image shown in the P beta of a device with no bezels. Is it a first look at the Pixel 3 -- as was the case in the O beta last summer that showed an early look at the Pixel 2? Or is it just a nondescript image to represent this years devices? This makes me very anxious to see the next Pixel as I'd much prefer this over a notch design.

screenshot_20180519-203612.png

screenshot_20180508-225631-461.png

Source: http://www.slashleaks.com/l/possible-3rd-gen-pixel-leaked-in-android-p-beta-settings

Reactions: epicrayban

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
There is an image shown in the P beta of a device with no bezels. Is it a first look at the Pixel 3 -- as was the case in the O beta last summer that showed an early look at the Pixel 2? Or is it just a nondescript image to represent this years devices? This makes me very anxious to see the next Pixel as I'd much prefer this over a notch design.

Source: http://www.slashleaks.com/l/possible-3rd-gen-pixel-leaked-in-android-p-beta-settings

I think I might just buy a cheap android and go to the Pixel 3.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Google must have known this would be found in the P beta, right? Perhaps it's a generic placeholder mock up. I hope not though!

Reactions: Lava Lamp Freak

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
BTW, the OnePlus 6 and the Bullets Wireless... more proof that you can build a flagship with a headphone jack and still help push the future of a wireless bluetooth world. At this point in time, you don't have to sacrifice one for the other.

Any argument from any OEM to not include it is just plain bullocks. Be it Apple's "not enough internal room" or Google's "we actually never removed it. It just became a USB C jack." They're all poor excuses.

The Google explanation is particularly frustrating. Ok, so it's a USB-C jack now instead of a 3.5 mm jack. Then why not include a pair of USB-C earphones in box? And where exactly are the affordable and reliable USB C earphones out in the market? Furthermore, the dongle they include is an absolute piece of turd accessory, in that it hardly ever works.

Speaking generally now, this third generation, Google is out of excuses. They need to nail down the hardware. From questionable design to lack of standard features like wireless charging, to poorly sourced screens in the Pixel 2 XL. They need to resolve these growing pains. The Pixel 2 design gets more embarrassing each passing day in 2018. What's more embarrassing is that the S9+ dual speakers sound louder and better than the dual speakers of the Pixel 2. You don't need gargantuan bezels to have dual speakers, which is evident even in the Pixel 2 XL. I really don't know what went wrong with the Pixel 2 design...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.