Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Love the look of that Pixel design, but I think it could just be Google trolling us. Hope not though!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I think Jobs once said plans for new iPhones are made about 2 years ahead of release dates. i expect most others are close to the same.

Yeah. I recently was able to speak to someone working in an engineering team at Apple and as he obviously couldn’t divulge specific details, he said just about everything hardware-wise starts its development 5 or more years out at a minimum.

When we’re seeing a brand new product, OEMs are likely already trying to finalize next years model. Which also makes so much of the copying criticism so funny. Pretty safe to assume any of the recent ‘notch’ designs were in development long before the iPhone X came out. There is no way that One Plus, LG, or Huawei decided to implement a notched display in the 6 months since the X came out. ;)

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yeah. I recently was able to speak to someone working in an engineering team at Apple and as he obviously couldn’t divulge specific details, he said just about everything hardware-wise starts its development 5 or more years out at a minimum.

When we’re seeing a brand new product, OEMs are likely already trying to finalize next years model. Which also makes so much of the copying criticism so funny. Pretty safe to assume any of the recent ‘notch’ designs were in development long before the iPhone X came out. There is no way that One Plus, LG, or Huawei decided to implement a notched display in the 6 months since the X came out. ;)

Very cool info.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I think Jobs once said plans for new iPhones are made about 2 years ahead of release dates. i expect most others are close to the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if's 1 year though, especially since Tim Cook is more about shareholder returns and margins rather than planning the intricate details about future iPhones. Apply's supply chain management is exceptional, but 1 year design rate could be pretty standard in the mobile industry.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Concepts probably start years in advance, and then within a year of release, they finalize and proof it all.
[doublepost=1527084509][/doublepost]I hope Google doesn't price the Pixel 3 models too high.

The Pixel 2 XL is straight up overpriced.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Concepts probably start years in advance, and then within a year of release, they finalize and proof it all.
[doublepost=1527084509][/doublepost]I hope Google doesn't price the Pixel 3 models too high.

The Pixel 2 XL is straight up overpriced.

Considering the entry level Pixel 2 is $649, I wouldn't be surprised $750 or $799 starting point. Seems like the only way for me to get a 2018 device on a $500 budget is the OnePlus 6.

Edit:

HTC U11 started at $649 last year. The Pixel 2 is based off the HTC U11 a bit, so price points are similar. The new HTC U12 is $800, so we can definitely see a price hike for the Pixel 3. Question is if it is a starting point of $800. I think it could be, so I may hang onto the Note 8 if I decide to open it.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Considering the entry level Pixel 2 is $649, I wouldn't be surprised $750 or $799 starting point. Seems like the only way for me to get a 2018 device on a $500 budget is the OnePlus 6.

Edit:

HTC U11 started at $649 last year. The Pixel 2 is based off the HTC U11 a bit, so price points are similar. The new HTC U12 is $800, so we can definitely see a price hike for the Pixel 3. Question is if it is a starting point of $800. I think it could be, so I may hang onto the Note 8 if I decide to open it.

The HTC 12+ is much larger than the HTC 11–likely the counterpart to the Pixel XL model, which starts at $849 this past year.

I’ll be surprised if Pixel 3 prices deviate much from last year’s.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
The HTC 12+ is much larger than the HTC 11–likely the counterpart to the Pixel XL model, which starts at $849 this past year.

I’ll be surprised if Pixel 3 prices deviate much from last year’s.

But it's also still a base model though. Apple's pricing allows companies to aspire to higher price points too.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
But it's also still a base model though. Apple's pricing allows companies to aspire to higher price points too.

Apple gets away with it because, well, they’re Apple and people have shown a willingness to pay for it. Samsung is Apple’s Android equivalent. Nobody else can pull off those high prices with the same level of success.

If Google had knocked it out of the park with their first two Pixels, maybe they could push prices up higher. They didn’t—they’re good phones, not amazing, and sales reflected that.

Google needs to move significantly more quantity if they’re going to pretend to be a hardware company as well and pushing those prices up even high just because Apple isn’t going to help them.

Also, weren’t their rumors that Apple phone prices might actually be lower this next cycle, ie $899 for the X replacement and $699 for the new larger ‘budget’ model with a 6.1” LCD?

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Apple gets away with it because, well, they’re Apple and people have shown a willingness to pay for it. Samsung is Apple’s Android equivalent. Nobody else can pull off those high prices with the same level of success.

If Google had knocked it out of the park with their first two Pixels, maybe they could push prices up higher. They didn’t—they’re good phones, not amazing, and sales reflected that.

Google needs to move significantly more quantity if they’re going to pretend to be a hardware company as well and pushing those prices up even high just because Apple isn’t going to help them.

Also, weren’t their rumors that Apple phone prices might actually be lower this next cycle, ie $899 for the X replacement and $699 for the new larger ‘budget’ model with a 6.1”
LCD?

Apple will have to lower price points to win the market penetration war since many other non-American segments may not be buying iPhones due to the entry price points in different form factors and the peripheral pricing to get quick charge for the device. I spent $10 to get the quick charge components; so I got lucky. However, people pay $25 for the USB C to Lightning cable and $40 for the 18W or higher charging brick.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

Also, weren’t their rumors that Apple phone prices might actually be lower this next cycle, ie $899 for the X replacement and $699 for the new larger ‘budget’ model with a 6.1”
LCD?

This is true. Supply and demand will determine what Google will sell Pixel for. They know how to maximize profit. I don't think there is enough demand for high pricing of Pixel phones.

Actually, I don't even think there is enough demand to support iPhone X at $999. (At least at normal/high quantities.) I think the high price was designed to limit sales due to limited hardware. How often do you come across someone using an iPhone X? I don't see many people using iPhone X, but I see Galaxy S/Note, and iPhone/Plus everywhere I go.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The HTC U12 not having wireless charging worries me for the Pixel 3.

If the Pixel 3 doesn't have wireless charging, Google will be, once again, behind the times in the most ironic way -- they were one of the first to offer wireless charging in Nexus phones years ago.

Reactions: jamezr

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia

If the Pixel 3 doesn't have wireless charging, Google will be, once again, behind the times in the most ironic way -- they were one of the first to offer wireless charging in Nexus phones years ago.
Can't see that happening. You can't go two generations, sans wireless charging these days.

I'm not so sure about the latest rumoured design, possibly due to last years disappointment. Expecting bezels slightly smaller than the Galaxy S9. Although 1 year's a long time in tech & this is Google so who knows....

Reactions: epicrayban

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015

Imo wireless charging is not really necessary. I can see why some people would want it. However, with quick charging...30 mins of charging can give me roughly 40% charge and I have a 6 foot cable if I do need to use it during that 30 mins.

If wireless charging means a glass back I would rather do without it. I prefer aluminum back cover for durability. I won't knock someone for wanting wireless charging though since it can be useful.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Imo wireless charging is not really necessary. I can see why some people would want it. However, with quick charging...30 mins of charging can give me roughly 40% charge and I have a 6 foot cable if I do need to use it during that 30 mins.

If wireless charging means a glass back I would rather do without it. I prefer aluminum back cover for durability. I won't knock someone for wanting wireless charging though since it can be useful.

Sure, wireless charging isn't necessary. Neither are power windows in a car. I mean whenever you need air you can just lean over a little and roll the passenger-side window down. But after having power windows in my last few vehicles it sure is nice to have.

It's the same with my S8. My wireless charger quit working a few weeks ago and I haven't picked up another one yet. The phone does charge a lot faster hooked up to the wall, but the convenience of keeping the phone topped off while sitting at my desk was convenient. Now I find myself only charging when the battery is close to dead and now I walk around with less of a charge than before.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Sure, wireless charging isn't necessary. Neither are power windows in a car. I mean whenever you need air you can just lean over a little and roll the passenger-side window down. But after having power windows in my last few vehicles it sure is nice to have.

It's the same with my S8. My wireless charger quit working a few weeks ago and I haven't picked up another one yet. The phone does charge a lot faster hooked up to the wall, but the convenience of keeping the phone topped off while sitting at my desk was convenient. Now I find myself only charging when the battery is close to dead and now I walk around with less of a charge than before.

There are times where I go months without putting in a cable. I just never run low on batts. Ever. It's always topping off, as you say.

The only time I use a cable is if I'm traveling.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
There are times where I go months without putting in a cable. I just never run low on batts. Ever. It's always topping off, as you say.

The only time I use a cable is if I'm traveling.

this is exactly my use case lately with my S9. It's on a wireless charger at work all day and then I have a wireless charger on my night stand. It's convenient and nice but if I had to do only wired, I wouldn't loose my "ish" over it. ;)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Can Google design a nice full glass back with two tones so they keep with their Pixel design aesthetics?

Or will they go all glass, all one color?

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Can Google design a nice full glass back with two tones so they keep with their Pixel design aesthetics?

Or will they go all glass, all one color?

Yes, they can have two-tone glass design. Have you seen the OnePlus 6 in Midnight Black? Even though it's glass it has a matte-like appearance. They could have both glossy and matte glass and keep same two-tone design.

There is a Pixel 3 concept video (which is very beautiful and I'd love it if it looks anything like that) that actually reminds me of the Midnight Black glass OnePlus 6.

Reactions: epicrayban

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
this is exactly my use case lately with my S9. It's on a wireless charger at work all day and then I have a wireless charger on my night stand. It's convenient and nice but if I had to do only wired, I wouldn't loose my "ish" over it. ;)

I have a wireless charger for my nightstand and a car dock with integrated wireless charging as well that I previously used with my iPhone X. I especially liked the one for my nightstand as if I was placing it there, I wasn't in dire need of a speedy charge and it was not having to fiddle with a cable, especially if a bit drowsy.

That being said, when I switched back to my 7+ for a while, I quickly realized I didn't miss it. The charging rate is still too slow and with a new car that has CarPlay/Android Auto, phones have to be wired in the car anyways. I also prefer to use magnetic vent mounts and the metallic disks block wireless charging. I’m also not stationary enough throughout the day for my phones to benefit from the wireless chargers—if I’m plugging in I usually don’t have a ton of time to top off.

I’ve moved back to my iPhone X but the wireless chargers won’t be coming back out.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I have a wireless charger for my nightstand and a car dock with integrated wireless charging as well that I previously used with my iPhone X. I especially liked the one for my nightstand as if I was placing it there, I wasn't in dire need of a speedy charge and it was not having to fiddle with a cable, especially if a bit drowsy.

That being said, when I switched back to my 7+ for a while, I quickly realized I didn't miss it. The charging rate is still too slow and with a new car that has CarPlay/Android Auto, phones have to be wired in the car anyways. I also prefer to use magnetic vent mounts and the metallic disks block wireless charging. I’m also not stationary enough throughout the day for my phones to benefit from the wireless chargers—if I’m plugging in I usually don’t have a ton of time to top off.

I’ve moved back to my iPhone X but the wireless chargers won’t be coming back out.

agree about the car mount. Quite annoying. But I use my S9 without a case and the wireless charging coil allows me to still use my magnetic phone mount on my windshield! double bonus :) But when I use other phones without a case, I have to keep the phone in my pocket.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yes, they can have two-tone glass design. Have you seen the OnePlus 6 in Midnight Black? Even though it's glass it has a matte-like appearance. They could have both glossy and matte glass and keep same two-tone design.

There is a Pixel 3 concept video (which is very beautiful and I'd love it if it looks anything like that) that actually reminds me of the Midnight Black glass OnePlus 6.

Looks nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.