Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I do hope the front facing stereo speakers are better this time around. Just because the Pixel 2 had front facing dual speakers didn't necessarily mean they were good. They were loud, but they weren't that good.

I find my S9+ dual speakers sound better than my Pixel 2 dual speakers. The S9+ accomplishes this without needing bezels.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I do hope the front facing stereo speakers are better this time around. Just because the Pixel 2 had front facing dual speakers didn't necessarily mean they were good. They were loud, but they weren't that good.

I find my S9+ dual speakers sound better than my Pixel 2 dual speakers. The S9+ accomplishes this without needing bezels.
or a notch....

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Same leaker from yesterday says the Pixel 3XL panel will be LG OLED.

So me thinks Pixel 3XL will be loosely based on the LG G7 and the Pixel 3 will be loosely based off the HTC U12.

Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Rather take the HTC U12 style Pixel 3.

Same here.

I don't care that there's space in the "ears" for status icons and the clock. It doesn't grant me that much more screen space. Certainly not enough of a difference to warrant bad design. I rather have a more symmetrical looking device.

Reactions: MarkX

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I’m digging the Pixel 3 design. The 3XL is no bueno to me.

I need two things in order to comfortably leave the Apple ecosystem behind.
  1. A proper iMessage equivalent on Android. It’s well-documented just how inane Google’s strategy around messaging has been. Just give us an end-to-end encrypted messaging platform that can fall back to SMS/RCS when necessary. How hard is this?!?
  2. A good watch companion with a feature set similar to that of the Apple Watch. The rumor of a Pixel Watch has me excited.
For me, the size of the iPhone X is perfect. I no longer desire larger devices such as the P2XL, OP6, S9+, etc. The Pixel 3 looks like it’s probably around the same size as the Pixel 2 & iPhone X, but with a larger screen than on the Pixel 2. That’s a win in my book.
[doublepost=1527696741][/doublepost]Hell, I’d pay Apple a subscription fee to use iMessage on an Android device if the option existed.

Reactions: tbayrgs

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I’m digging the Pixel 3 design. The 3XL is no bueno to me.

I need two things in order to comfortably leave the Apple ecosystem behind.
  1. A proper iMessage equivalent on Android. It’s well-documented just how inane Google’s strategy around messaging has been. Just give us an end-to-end encrypted messaging platform that can fall back to SMS/RCS when necessary. How hard is this?!?
  2. A good watch companion with a feature set similar to that of the Apple Watch. The rumor of a Pixel Watch has me excited.
For me, the size of the iPhone X is perfect. I no longer desire larger devices such as the P2XL, OP6, S9+, etc. The Pixel 3 looks like it’s probably around the same size as the Pixel 2 & iPhone X, but with a larger screen than on the Pixel 2. That’s a win in my book.
[doublepost=1527696741][/doublepost]Hell, I’d pay Apple a subscription fee to use iMessage on an Android device if the option existed.

These are two biggies for me as well. Here in the US, nothing is as ubiquitous as iMessage for iPhone users and SMS for Android. I can’t live with SMS alone and while RCS alone theoretically improves the user experience, the lack of end-to-end encryption is a no go for me personally.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
upload_2018-5-30_20-40-34.jpeg
upload_2018-5-30_20-41-4.png

I mean. Gimme that Pixel 3 immediately.

Reactions: raqball

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
And even more renders...

hot-pixel-3-renders-980x613.jpg

google-pixel-3-xl-renders-980x613.jpg

A few more here: https://twitter.com/PhoneDesigner

The back side is pure imagination, but the front... that is a pretty good representation of the previous day's leak. If these prove to be accurate, the Pixel 3 is looking pretty solid. It'll come down to how much Google decides to differentiate the two models. I really hope they don't cheap out on the smaller model.

As for the XL model, there really is no reason to include a notch. I don't think it'll house special cameras for face unlock that the regular Pixel 3 model wouldn't have and the ears gain you so little screen real estate. Plus, as @tbayrgs has pointed out earlier, why notch for the bigger but not the smaller? Why bother for only one model? What is the decision making process here?

The same thing happened with the Pixel 2 models... Clearly they can achieve front facing dual speakers with smaller bezels, ala the Pixel 2 XL, so why does the Pixel 2 model need to have gigantic bezels? The Pixel 3 looks like what the Pixel 2 should have been -- a smaller Pixel 2 XL.

Also, the top speaker of the 3XL model is smaller due to the notch, while the Pixel 3 appears to be larger.

There's so much to pick apart here. It's just weird, senseless, and, dare I say, stupid design decisions by Google.

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
And even more renders...

hot-pixel-3-renders-980x613.jpg

google-pixel-3-xl-renders-980x613.jpg

A few more here: https://twitter.com/PhoneDesigner

The back side is pure imagination, but the front... that is a pretty good representation of the previous day's leak. If these prove to be accurate, the Pixel 3 is looking pretty solid. It'll come down to how much Google decides to differentiate the two models. I really hope they don't cheap out on the smaller model.

Oh lord. Yes yes yes.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If Google does decide to differentiate the two sizes for the Pixel 3 beyond just screen and battery size, they at least had better not skimp on the camera. The Pixel phones have always been about the camera experience. There better not be dual cameras on the XL and a single camera on the regular model, for example.

Of course, I rather not see any of these differences, but you could get away with 4GB/6GB, you could get away with exclusive color options, you could get away with even the screen experience (like if they're from different sourced panels as long as they're both good), but to skimp out on the camera experience between the two models... that would be truly lousy.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The notch will come to Samsung phones eventually and you know it.
I seriously doubt that..... But i know a lot of Apple fan boys would love that. It would justify Apple's notch for them...even though Apple has said it will be gone soon.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I seriously doubt that..... But i know a lot of Apple fan boys would love that. It would justify Apple's notch for them...even though Apple has said it will be gone soon.

I don’t see why Apple needs to justify their notch to anyone.

And where did Apple say it was going to be gone soon?

Reactions: raqball

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don’t see why Apple needs to justify their notch to anyone.

And where did Apple say it was going to be gone soon?

Who said Apple had to justify it?
I don't see why I should provide a link to something you can Google for yourself......

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I do think that I'd pick up an XL 3 but maybe a bit after announcement so maybe I can snag a panda version this time.

I think I'd go with a notch over a carrier locked and crapware bloated device that when you do get an update, it's got more bloat :(

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
From Bloomberg via The Verge:

Verizon exclusive carrier again. I'm sure there will be unlocked models from Google.

Single camera on the back. Two cameras on the front though.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2018/5/30/17410608/google-pixel-3-xl-notch

I believe those leaks from yesterday now. I'm already disappointed.

From a marketing standpoint, not having dual cameras will be seen as being behind the competition. It's not going to help Google push sales.

Also, there are videos that show the Pixel 2's portrait mode doesn't always do well at differentiating between foreground and background. I've noticed this to be true with my Pixel 2 as well.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
From Bloomberg via The Verge:

Verizon exclusive carrier again. I'm sure there will be unlocked models from Google.

Single camera on the back. Two cameras on the front though.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2018/5/30/17410608/google-pixel-3-xl-notch

I believe those leaks from yesterday now. I'm already disappointed.

From a marketing standpoint, not having dual cameras will be seen as being behind the competition. It's not going to help Google push sales.

Also, there are videos that show the Pixel 2's portrait mode doesn't always do well at differentiating between foreground and background. I've noticed this to be true with my Pixel 2 as well.
I am disappointed as well. I don't why Google would want to emulated a notch when they don't have to. Notches are ugly design restraints that will go away in 2019.

The Verizon exclusive is dumb...C'mon Google you're better than this......

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I am disappointed as well. I don't why Google would want to emulated a notch when they don't have to. Notches are ugly design restraints that will go away in 2019.

The Verizon exclusive is dumb...C'mon Google you're better than this......

agreed. I wish it would be sold via T-Mobile so I can just use JOD to get it :)

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The regular 3 has my name written all over it. Perfect size. Most likely a bigger screen in the same sized shell as the Pixel 2. I'll have very little interest in the 3 XL unless they give it a better camera and/or better features.

Yeah me too as long as it looks like the renders do.. I might wait a bit this time to order though and that white looks sweet!

Reactions: noobinator
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.