Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I wish the Pixel 3 would go back to the design element of the first Pixel where it was thicker in the top than the bottom.

Google hasn't been sound design wise. At least they're not Motorola giving you false hopes lol. That whole Z5 to Moto Power nonsense was ridiculous.
[doublepost=1528328415][/doublepost]How does Foxconn sound as the manufacturer for the product? They make the iPhone, so maybe Google is taking one step forward to being serious about phone manufacturing?

I am excited about getting my Pixel soon. OLED screen, 4gb RAM, one of the best cameras, a good processor at a low end price? Throw in the support until 2019 and it gives me plenty of time to get mileage out of it.

The Pixel 3 will be even sweeter.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Google hasn't been sound design wise. At least they're not Motorola giving you false hopes lol. That whole Z5 to Moto Power nonsense was ridiculous.
[doublepost=1528328415][/doublepost]How does Foxconn sound as the manufacturer for the product? They make the iPhone, so maybe Google is taking one step forward to being serious about phone manufacturing?

I am excited about getting my Pixel soon. OLED screen, 4gb RAM, one of the best cameras, a good processor at a low end price? Throw in the support until 2019 and it gives me plenty of time to get mileage out of it.

The Pixel 3 will be even sweeter.

Foxconn are good manufacturers and this can only spell good things for availability and quality.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Foxconn are good manufacturers and this can only spell good things for availability and quality.

I hope it works out well for QC too. I decided against getting a Pixel 2 today since I could've had one for $320. Warranty only helps if I wanted to use it for 12-18 months. However, it's not worth it to me since I paid $180 for my Pixel and will go towards the 3 since that's the one to get. October cannot come soon enough.

Will be interesting to see what the budget model Pixel looks like next year too.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Google Leak Reveals Massive New Pixel 3

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...-best-camera-smartphone-upgrade-release-date/

Shared from my Google feed

I really hope they do away with the squeeze feature, or at least allow for native remapping

I love the Pixel 3 concept design considering Google’s design language. It’s not an iPhone X or GS9, but it will do.

I am interested to see how the Pixel 3 and iPhone 2018 models duke it out this fall. Either way, you’re going to see a series of high quality phones with tremendous support.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Google Leak Reveals Massive New Pixel 3

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...-best-camera-smartphone-upgrade-release-date/

Shared from my Google feed

I really hope they do away with the squeeze feature, or at least allow for native remapping
Wow the smaller P3 looks great and at 5.3 I might consider that one over the P3 XL with the notch.
Its no secret...i'm not a fan of the notch.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fgordonkelly%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F05%2F2.jpg

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Wow the smaller P3 looks great and at 5.3 I might consider that one over the P3 XL with the notch.
Its no secret...i'm not a fan of the notch.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fgordonkelly%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F05%2F2.jpg

I’d be all over that! That’s exactly what I want the P3 to be. I’m kinda over phablets. The iPhone X is about all I care for size-wise. This probably has very similar dimensions.

Reactions: jamezr

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Looks like a whole new bootloader from those menu options.

first-pixel-3-xl-pictures-1-980x764.jpg

Not buying the RAM because it’s hard to tell someone to pay $849 for only 4gb in 2018 on the Android side. Maybe early prototype?

I’ll be fine with 4gb on the Pixel 3 since I’ll be trading in my Pixel OG towards the P3. I don’t want to pay more than $250-$300 out of pocket if T-Mobile subsidizes the price by 50%.

Last year, people traded in their Pixel for like $400 and T-Mobile paid $325 towards the P2. I expect $350 from T-Mobile for a $700 P3 with a $200 trade in with the P1 since Google might try to incentivize people onto the new device. $150 out of pocket before taxes seems like a great deal to me.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Smaller P3 will be an instant Day 1 purchase for me if the render is accurate. Regardless of cost. It's perfect at 5.3" and no stupid notch.

The Android notches are out of control. Apple's has a purpose but I still hate it. Whoever thinks the (Android) notch is a good design needs to be fired from his / her respective company. It's pathetic and that's putting it mildly. I am very curious what the sales figures will be like for all of these abominations.

Reactions: koigirl and jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The deep notch and bottom bezel are hideous. And the back is as bland as can be.

The leaks are looking more and more real.

Reactions: Oohara

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Not buying the RAM because it’s hard to tell someone to pay $849 for only 4gb in 2018 on the Android side. Maybe early prototype?

For the sake of keeping the price sensible, 4GB RAM is fine. The iPhone 8 only has 2GB and iPhone 10 4GB. The S8 Plus has 6GB with little material difference in everyday usage.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Hope Google shock us. But it doesn't look good....

Massive Notch/Chin. So disappointing that Google think majority of people prefer stereo speakers over big screen, especially when the wired/Bluetooth earphone market's booming...

Such an out of touch move imo.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US

Massive Notch/Chin. So disappointing that Google think majority of people prefer stereo speakers over big screen, especially when the wired/Bluetooth earphone market's booming...

I'm sorry but it seems like every single pixel launch someone says it's unimpressive and then when it does launch they are first in line to buy one. Kinda like how the iPhone has been.

Personally I think the design looks good. The two tone might actually be useful since it will hide fingerprints better the a gloss black finish. Personally I am more interested in the Pixel 3 and not XL. I have been begging for a major manufacturer to make a SMALLER 18:9 phone instead of increasing screen size to 6+ inches. If the Pixel 3 is truly 5.3 inches then overall size should be comparable to a 4.7" iPhone if not a little smaller. Perfect!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Massive notch yes but massive chin? I wouldn’t call that massive. Looking at a Pixel 2 or any iPhone other than a X will show you a big chin.

And count me as one of those customers who would give up a few mm of screen for a quality front firing bottom speaker.

All that being said, the 3 XL design shown here is pretty damn ugly. I don’t understand the logic of having dual front cameras but only a single rear lens. :confused: I’m about at the point where I’m finished giving Google the benefit of the doubt in regards to hardware. Yes, they’re not primarily a hardware company but they’ve been selling phones under the Google brand for over 8 years and this will be their 10th generation of phones. Every year we see some major flaws or compromises and it looks like 2018 is going to be no different. I think I’m about done with any more personal investment in their hardware. Their apparent lack of focus in this arena has just become infuriating, at least for me.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I'm sorry but it seems like every single pixel launch someone says it's unimpressive and then when it does launch they are first in line to buy one. Kinda like how the iPhone has been.

Personally I think the design looks good. The two tone might actually be useful since it will hide fingerprints better the a gloss black finish. Personally I am more interested in the Pixel 3 and not XL. I have been begging for a major manufacturer to make a SMALLER 18:9 phone instead of increasing screen size to 6+ inches. If the Pixel 3 is truly 5.3 inches then overall size should be comparable to a 4.7" iPhone if not a little smaller. Perfect!
I'll be honest, I was never going to buy it, but i'm more hoping Google would push the boundaries a bit in terms of design & force others to up their game.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I don’t understand the logic of having dual front cameras

Hopefully the face unlock will activate automatically when the phone is raised towards the face rather than having to wake up the phone first. This is why I prefer finger print unlock.

It's a one move action: Put a finger on the reader and the phone unlocks, no button press or swiping action required.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
I'll be honest, I was never going to buy it, but i'm more hoping Google would push the boundaries a bit in terms of design & force others to up their game.

The pixel has never been about that though? It's been about the best of what Android can offer in terms of software. The hardware has never been revolutionary.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The pixel has never been about that though? It's been about the best of what Android can offer in terms of software. The hardware has never been revolutionary.
Bingo......I don't think it ever will be either. Their hardware is just to showcase their software.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Bingo......I don't think it ever will be either. Their hardware is just to showcase their software.

The Nexus program, yes, but I disagree regarding the Pixel line. Google has pushed their Pixel line front and center to consumers and priced it accordingly. I saw more commercials or advertisements for the initial Pixel phones than I ever saw for the entirety of the Nexus line over 7 generations. Google wants the Pixel to be a genuine iPhone/Galaxy competitor, are at least is halfheartedly trying to position it that way.

And I don't want revolutionary, just competent, focused hardware. There have been compromises every year and if these rumors are genuine, looks like it will continue. Especially if it once again continues to be a Verizon exclusive in the US.

Google, make us believe you actually give a ****, for once.
[doublepost=1528470505][/doublepost]
Hopefully the face unlock will activate automatically when the phone is raised towards the face rather than having to wake up the phone first. This is why I prefer finger print unlock.

It's a one move action: Put a finger on the reader and the phone unlocks, no button press or swiping action required.

I'm sorry, I haven't read everything published so far so I might have missed something. Are these dual front cameras being positions as the Pixel's counterpart to FaceID? I'd heard that is was for better 'portrait' selfies. And if so, I don't think an extra lens would bring the extra data necessary to make facial unlocking more secure, would it? (depth and facial mapping, etc)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The excuse that Google is a software company and therefore gets a pass on their hardware issues is not a position I would take. Google is selling hardware and in some cases, expensive hardware (Google Home Max, Pixel 2 XL, Chromebook, Pixel Buds...). They should be held to no different standard regardless if their origins or forte is software. They obviously want and have a hardware component to their business model, and that seems to be where the disappointments are.

The Pixel 3 looks like what the Pixel 2 should have been. That alone is frustrating.

And the Pixel 3 XL just doesn't seem to really grasp the idea of good design. Speakers or not, the off-balance bottom chin is hard to ignore. And it has to be said again, front-firing speakers doesn't always mean good speakers. I find the dual speaker set ups on the S9+ and the iPhone X to have better speakers than the FFS of the Pixel 2. And I mean this both in quality and loudness. The Pixel 2 FFS are only loud, not good. The set up that the S9+ and iPhone X have allows for a much cleaner front design, especially in the S9+. If you have a notch, you shouldn't have a chin. At the very least, it should be a very tiny chin, ala the OnePlus 6.

And the back... while it's nice that Google is keeping the two-tone color design even whilst going all glass for what I hope is wireless charging, I'm not sure why they felt they needed to angle/slope the design when it changes tone. What's up with those weird slopping arches? It's such an odd detail. It sort of gives the upper portion "fangs."

I really hope the final design is a little more polished and clean, but the leaks are looking pretty legit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.