Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Here is an article with actual hands on with the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 pro

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm looking forward to the 7's.
Trying to decide whether to go for the regular or the Pro, but I really dislike not having a telephoto lens. I literally never use ultra wide, and hate that the market has shifted to lumping you with a main and ultra wide when 5 years ago they were all pushing for zoom lenses.

I think for that reason, I will likely end up with the Pro. I love my 6 Pro, but it's a touch too wide for my liking and with a case on it becomes even more of a unit. Then you've got the struggles with getting a screen protector for a curved display yada yada.
I dunno. Maybe I will end up plumping for a reg 7 and keep my Xperia in rotation too. Whatever one I choose, my 6 Pro will be traded against it anyway.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I would like to say I am anticipating the pixel 7 but I am really disappointed by the Pixel 6.

The general experience over a year has been one of instability, buggy monthly releases requiring more fixes and a fingerprint scanner that is simply unusable 98% of the time.

All of these things could be mitigated software wise (facial recognition to make up for the fingerprint scanner for example) but Google's stock software has been more buggy than I care to experience again.

So whilst I am interested in the Pixel 7/Pro, I am not anticipating it...

That being said Google have offered killer bonus goodies (like €400 rrp headphones) over last couple of releases which could persuade me regardless of my growing apprehension ...

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Reactions: Tig Bitties

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
sadly a year late to the party doesn’t undo a year of torment and frustration. For me with the pixel 6 it’s too little too late. They could have taken the opportunity to resolve this with Android 13 but didn’t. Sadly I am losing faith in Google delivering needed android features to their own android device….

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I would like to say I am anticipating the pixel 7 but I am really disappointed by the Pixel 6.

The general experience over a year has been one of instability, buggy monthly releases requiring more fixes and a fingerprint scanner that is simply unusable 98% of the time.

All of these things could be mitigated software wise (facial recognition to make up for the fingerprint scanner for example) but Google's stock software has been more buggy than I care to experience again.

So whilst I am interested in the Pixel 7/Pro, I am not anticipating it...

That being said Google have offered killer bonus goodies (like €400 rrp headphones) over last couple of releases which could persuade me regardless of my growing apprehension ...

Pfffft pull the other one! You'll be there on order day... Just like all the other naysayers! 😜.

I do agree though, it hasn't been a smooth experience since launch. I feel like I was lucky, as fingerprint scanner aside I had little issues.

Other than a repair for the black pixels in the top corner a few months ago on my Pro and dodgy FPS it's been good.
Having said that, the only phones I've ever had to send for repair are Pixels. My Pixel 3 and my 6 Pro. 😑

• Haha
Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
i will be tempted by pixel 7 pro even though wife has banned me from having two phones Lol

i just hope google has no issues on launch as even though this was fixed for many people the buggy reputation is still there as we head to the 7 series

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Pfffft pull the other one! You'll be there on order day... Just like all the other naysayers! 😜.

I do agree though, it hasn't been a smooth experience since launch. I feel like I was lucky, as fingerprint scanner aside I had little issues.

Other than a repair for the black pixels in the top corner a few months ago on my Pro and dodgy FPS it's been good.
Having said that, the only phones I've ever had to send for repair are Pixels. My Pixel 3 and my 6 Pro. 😑

LOL 😂 let me relish in the pretence for at least 5 minutes :D

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Me when anyone says they are holding out about any phone ab8.jpg

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
i will be tempted by pixel 7 pro even though wife has banned me from having two phones Lol

i just hope google has no issues on launch as even though this was fixed for many people the buggy reputation is still there as we head to the 7 series
Oh damn! You fully Android now then?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ahhhh.. no wonder what happened to that Fold 3 Lol. But I believe you did mention it was used technically as a tablet.
technically fold 3 is still around, I gave it to my dad who needed a phone and he really wanted one due to his eye sight he wanted a bigger screen but couldn't afford it so I gave it to him and got myself a mini to replace it.

really enjoyed the fold though but mini does work better for my ecosystem

Reactions: Ludatyk

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah same, that's why I just read these threads with a very jealous look. Not because of the lady, but just because I know myself too well. Haha
I've been impressed myself that I was not tempted by fold 4 or flip 4.

I know that iPhone season is around the corner. pixel in October will also be interesting. using multiple phones I do find hard I must admit. I always tend to stick to my iPhone

Reactions: 5105973

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
For me with the pixel 6 it’s too little too late. They could have taken the opportunity to resolve this with Android 13 but didn’t. Sadly I am losing faith in Google delivering needed android features to their own android device….
It takes time to implement this stuff. Look at Apple's FaceID and it took nearly 2 years for Apple to open your face with a mask on or unlocking it via the Apple watch. Apple also delays stuff and so slow at this as well.
Samsung isn't any better their UI is not as smooth as Pixel or other android OEMs.

[Review of A13 and Pixel 6A]
Android 13 for me has been smooth and really good to use on my 6A. I got the phone this week and upgraded to A13 and man Pixel A13 is so smooth compared to my Samsung A52s. The UI and general scrolling is butter and Twitter is not janky on 6A. It was laggy on my A52s. Of course, I did skip the whole A12 ordeal but hey I am happy my journey started with A13.

Reactions: War833

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm wondering what trade in deals Google will do for the 7. I have low expectations as it seems to only be America they offer you $3000 for trading in a smashed 3210 that doesn't power on.

I definitely want to get the 7 as I love my 6 Pro but I hate this battery and I hate how hot it gets. Those things really need addressing IMO.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I'm wondering what trade in deals Google will do for the 7. I have low expectations as it seems to only be America they offer you $3000 for trading in a smashed 3210 that doesn't power on.

I definitely want to get the 7 as I love my 6 Pro but I hate this battery and I hate how hot it gets. Those things really need addressing IMO.
I have no idea what a 3210 is? In the US not every Pixel phone gets a nice size discount, some do others not so much. The Pixel 4a had a trade-in value in the range of $300. Whereas the Pixel 6 had a $70 trade-in value. Also, there are conditions to the trade such as the condition of the phone that's being used for a trade. The trade value will drop by a lot if the screen or phone shows signs of physical damage. You are asked up front before the trade. The same goes for US retailers such as Best Buy.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I have no idea what a 3210 is? In the US not every Pixel phone gets a nice size discount, some do others not so much. The Pixel 4a had a trade-in value in the range of $300. Whereas the Pixel 6 had a $70 trade-in value. Also, there are conditions to the trade such as the condition of the phone that's being used for a trade. The trade value will drop by a lot if the screen or phone shows signs of physical damage. You are asked up front before the trade. The same goes for US retailers such as Best Buy.
Was just joking...

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I typically upgrade my phone's every year.

Currently have the Pixel 6 Pro and I'm very satisfied and happy enough with it.

This would be the first year I don't upgrade to the 7 Pro mostly because it seems like a side grade at best. Barely any difference between the 7 Pro and 6 Pro from what I'm reading.

Same shape and design same screen display tech
Same size, battery and memory

Am I missing something or is there some other major upgrade that would make the 7 Pro a significantly better phone than 6 Pro?

All my years owning smartphones, and specifically since my Nexus-One, all the way through my Pixel 6 Pro now, the 6 Pro to the 7 Pro, seems like the most minimal, barely any difference, not an upgrade, I have ever seen in my smartphone buying years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but seriously what is the big difference between the 6 Pro and 7 Pro? The 7 Pro seems like it should be called a 6.25 Pro

Plus, I'd rather spend my money on upgrading my Gaming PC, get the new RTX-4080 and Intel 13000 series.

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Is Google still doing that cheesy dumb thing, of making the smaller Pixel 7 with lesser mediocre specs, compared to the Pro model like last year.

I like the smaller form factor and FLAT screen of the Pixel 6, but wish it had the 120hz refresh rate and more RAM and everything the Pro has. They should share the same spec's like the iPhone does with both Pro models, a regular size and a Max size, but both share the same hardware.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Is Google still doing that cheesy dumb thing, of making the smaller Pixel 7 with lesser mediocre specs, compared to the Pro model like last year.

I like the smaller form factor and FLAT screen of the Pixel 6, but wish it had the 120hz refresh rate and more RAM and everything the Pro has. They should share the same spec's like the iPhone does with both Pro models, a regular size and a Max size, but both share the same hardware.
I agree completely. Companies doing this whole Pro and non Pro thing is bull **** IMO.
I understand trying to tier their devices and make them accessible to more people, but apple finally got it right when they did the Pro's in 2 sizes. I guess no one else gets sales like Apple to warrant it, though.

Having said that, Apple still pull similar BS. Wasn't there something to do with the video recording that needed the 256gb model? Lol. For something no one would probably even use.

In an ideal world the Pixel 7 would just be one model, two sizes. Like the good old days. And the 6a is the entry base model.

B_mark_R

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
I agree completely. Companies doing this whole Pro and non Pro thing is bull **** IMO.
I understand trying to tier their devices and make them accessible to more people, but apple finally got it right when they did the Pro's in 2 sizes. I guess no one else gets sales like Apple to warrant it, though.

Having said that, Apple still pull similar BS. Wasn't there something to do with the video recording that needed the 256gb model? Lol. For something no one would probably even use.

In an ideal world the Pixel 7 would just be one model, two sizes. Like the good old days. And the 6a is the entry base model.
I'm with you. One phone, packed full of features, in two sizes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.