Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I agree completely. Companies doing this whole Pro and non Pro thing is bull **** IMO.
I understand trying to tier their devices and make them accessible to more people, but apple finally got it right when they did the Pro's in 2 sizes. I guess no one else gets sales like Apple to warrant it, though.

Having said that, Apple still pull similar BS. Wasn't there something to do with the video recording that needed the 256gb model? Lol. For something no one would probably even use.

In an ideal world the Pixel 7 would just be one model, two sizes. Like the good old days. And the 6a is the entry base model.
Least apple are releasing same specs for 6.1 and the bigger pro max. Wish other companies did the same

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I agree completely. Companies doing this whole Pro and non Pro thing is bull **** IMO.
I understand trying to tier their devices and make them accessible to more people, but apple finally got it right when they did the Pro's in 2 sizes. I guess no one else gets sales like Apple to warrant it, though.

Having said that, Apple still pull similar BS. Wasn't there something to do with the video recording that needed the 256gb model? Lol. For something no one would probably even use.

In an ideal world the Pixel 7 would just be one model, two sizes. Like the good old days. And the 6a is the entry base model.
Although, I agree with you. But it's all about companies meeting price targets. That's the reason for the Pro and non-Pro models. We can hate it all we want... but that's the game we are in.

And Pixels don't have the luxury to follow Apple's device lineups. There was some article that was picked up from a reddit thread discussing picking up Pixel 6 Pro for a crazy discount ($270) through Target clearances.

Reactions: 5105973

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Although, I agree with you. But it's all about companies meeting price targets. That's the reason for the Pro and non-Pro models. We can hate it all we want... but that's the game we are in.

And Pixels don't have the luxury to follow Apple's device lineups. There was some article that was picked up from a reddit thread discussing picking up Pixel 6 Pro for a crazy discount ($270) through Target clearances.
Yeah you're basically just repeating what I posted. 😂. I know why it happens and why Google and other companies do it, doesn't mean I like it 😜.

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
LOL. No way I am giving anymore money to Google for hardware. They are a joke. My friends Pixel 6 Pro still has as many issues as it did when it first arrived a year ago. A13 has done little to address the issues. Fingerprint scanner has to be one of the worse of any phone EVER made. Battery is horrible. Software is buggy. Connection issues still happen. Phone still randomly shuts off. Screen goes blank and you have to use the power button to get it to come out of sleep. I know every maker has some issues here and there but Google leads the pack.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
LOL. No way I am giving anymore money to Google for hardware. They are a joke. My friends Pixel 6 Pro still has as many issues as it did when it first arrived a year ago. A13 has done little to address the issues. Fingerprint scanner has to be one of the worse of any phone EVER made. Battery is horrible. Software is buggy. Connection issues still happen. Phone still randomly shuts off. Screen goes blank and you have to use the power button to get it to come out of sleep. I know every maker has some issues here and there but Google leads the pack.
Opinions are fine, but you are basing this on your friends phone, not even your own use? I love the Pixel line.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Still using my 6 Pro close to a year now, and still really like this phone. Except the mediocre battery life, avd some network connection issues. And yes the fps blows but I stopped using it the the second day I got the phone, so it's a non issue for me. They should put the fps back on the rear.

And for the 7 Pro stuff in an even bigger battery, like 5,500mAh or 6,000mAh

But overall the 7 Pro seems like a good phone, but no way an upgrade from the 6 Pro whatsoever. The 6 Pro to 7 Pro seems like the minimalist and least changes year to year ever for a phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: War833

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Opinions are fine, but you are basing this on your friends phone, not even your own use? I love the Pixel line.
Agree, I have a 4a, still use it daily and it's been a good phone. Fingerprint scanner is lightning fast.
I look forward to the Pixel 7 when it comes out.... Or hec I may even get a 6a. Depends on price at the time.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Still using my 6 Pro close to a year now, and still really like this phone. Except the mediocre battery life, avd some network connection issues. And yes the fps blows but I stopped using it the the second day I got the phone, so it's a non issue for me. They should put the fps back on the rear.

And for the 7 Pro stuff in an even bigger battery, like 5,500mAh or 6,000mAh

But overall the 7 Pro seems like a good phone, but no way an upgrade from the 6 Pro whatsoever. The 6 Pro to 7 Pro seems like the minimalist and least changes year to year ever for a phone.
Yeah I quit using the FPS on my Pixel 6. I just don't see the wide gap in features of the Pixel 7/Pro to justify an upgrade. I may however buy my first iPhone. I'm leaning on getting the iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah same, that's why I just read these threads with a very jealous look. Not because of the lady, but just because I know myself too well. Haha
Im not one to have many phones but i get the temptation. But fo me i can only use one and dont like to carry round multiples. As for OS, im just an Android guy.

My Tablet is old (Samsung Tab S2) and very slow and i need a new one badly. But im also not one to rush i as i can wait for deals. Well she saw that the 9th Gen iPad was only $299 and she said she was going to get me one but i told her i didnt want an iPad.

She was kinda surprised as she has an iPad.....but im the one who mentioned it (price). And she asked,.... then why did you mention them? I said well yours is a 5th Gen so i mentioned it for you. I dont want one.

She didnt get it. She never upgrades unless i get it for her.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I guess I got a rare unicorn and my 6 Pro is still a pleasure to use and the fingerprint sensor works like a charm for me. Now I can’t speak to voice call issues because my dad was the only person who insisted on talking to me on my Android line on my Android phones. With him gone, that aspect of my Pixel doesn’t really get used anymore. My sim that is in my IPhone is the one I take voice calls on because it’s the phone that’s always with me, because my Apple Watch is connected to that number and that Watch is what really keeps me loyal to iPhones. Well there are other reasons but that’s a big one.

On the Android side of things I just get more utility overall from my S23 Ultra. I wish they weren’t so close in size so then the Pixel would have more of a unique niche to fill in my lineup. Like little tiny beloved Snowball did. (Pixel 2 for those reading here who didn’t meet Snowball)

Stormy the grey Pixel 6 Pro is going to stick around another year. Or possibly permanently. My Pixel 3XL is still around. I don’t upgrade these Pixels annually and they do seem to stick around somehow.

I’ll probably be back for Pixel 8 if they get back to making the display flat and the chassis less bulky around the camera and can make a fully featured smaller version. Lol that is a lot of “ifs”. But that’s what I’d be looking for in a Pixel.

I’d buy it outright because I know I won’t get in trade what the 6 Pro phone overall is worth as a spare or to pass along or donate.

I’m going to enjoy the 7’s debut though!

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I'm also in the camp that hangs onto their phones. I thought about trading my Pixel 4a for the Pixel 6a but i'm not a fan of the camera visor bump and I already have a Pixel 6. Besides i've read reviews where the P6a has a slightly worse screen than the 4a, plus I like the small size phone.

My P4a 5G would be a worthy candidate to trade but I foolishly bought all three Goggle fabric cases and that's about $120 in cases. 😩

I don't see anything in the Pixel 7 that my Pixel 6 doesn't already do. Did I mention i'm not a fan of the camera visor? 😜

This is the first year that I am seriously considering an iPhone and may get either the 14 Max or 14 Pro Max. If the pastel purple is one of the colors then it will definitely be the Pro Max.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig Bitties

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So today someone came to collect a ball machine (tennis) from me that I sold via FB marketplace.
He was paying me via bank transfer so pulled his phone out to pay.
I noticed he was using a Pixel. Unusual! It was in a generic plain black case but when I looked at the camera bar, it didn't look like any of the current Pixels.

I started thinking, omg, he has a 7?!!! It must be! It had the same 'cut outs' that the 7 has which are different to the current 6's.
So me being me, my mind is like "he must work for Google!!".
I said to him - ah, are you a pixel user?!
He said yeah just a 6 Pro. I don't love it though im more of an iPhone guy. I said oh, it looks different to mine? He slipped it out of his case and I seen he actually had a tempered glass protector over his camera bar, making the cut outs look different to the 6 😂😂.

I didn't make out I thought he worked for Google and was using an unreleased Pixel 7 as he probably would have thought I was on drugs or something... 😁

He was a nice guy, though. Apart from his iPhone preference but we all have our flaws I guess. 😏😂.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
6th October is the date then. Be interesting what improvements they will make this year

I'm very interested to see what Google has in store from the Pixel 6 Pro? I'm wishing for a massive upgrade, FLAT screen, bright 2,000 nit display like the iPhone 14 Pro, huge 6,000mAh battery, more RAM, even better cameras, etc... But then I woke up, and none of that is coming.

Unfortunately everything I've read on the Pixel 7 Pro is it's a Pixel 6.25 very minimal minor update, maybe the smallest update in the history of smartphones, year to year. The Pixel 6 Pro to the 7 Pro is a sidegrade at best it seems.

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Honestly dislike the extra "flashy additions" around the camera area. Reminds me of various automakers that splash some chrome or aluminum trim on a "facelift" car model.

Curious to see full details on the device once the event happens. The biggest item I am excited to see this year is the watch. Going to likely be a skip year regarding a new Android phone.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
The one thing I am interested in is battery life per charge. In the past the Pixel's have underwhelmed because of either two things. It's been either a low capacity battery or the OS just running stuff in the background that chews away at the battery, even if the screen is off.

YouTuber, Marques who is pro Android said regarding the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro that the battery life was underwhelming. He could get around 10 hrs of screen time on his iPhone 13 PM but could only manage 3.5 hrs on the Pixel 6 Pro. What is Google running on the OS or hardware side that is chewing at the battery?

When I leave my Pixel 4a, 4a 5G, Pixel 6 on overnight, I can easily expect going from 100% to around 90-91%. That's an idle phone, screen off with battery saver ON. OTOH, I have an Honor 9X (4000 mAh) made by Huawei that I can leave on overnight and the phone might lose just 1% and that's a maybe.

So for me I am waiting for Marques' review of the Pixel 7 Pro. Supposedly the rumors are indicating it could be bigger than 5000 mAh. But the question is, why does Apple with a lesser sized battery give you on average 3x the battery life on a single charge versus Google's phones?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I've had pretty much every Nexus phone and Pixel phone and they've always been very underwhelming with battery life.

Some versions better than others, but I can't recall any one of them being fantastic for battery life.

My Pixel 6 Pro gives me mediocre battery life. It's not bad or terrible or anything but it's certainly no iPhone 13 Pro Max battery life not even close.

All the rumors I've read on the Pixel 7 Pro, is it having the exact same size battery as the 6 Pro, so no changes there.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Curious to see full details on the device once the event happens. The biggest item I am excited to see this year is the watch. Going to likely be a skip year regarding a new Android phone.
💯 This! We all know how it looks… but I‘m curious of what Google will do with their version of WearOS and how it performs. I’ve had Galaxy Watch 4 since launch and although I enjoy it, that Pixel Watch hardware looks aesthetically pleasing. I plan on picking one up as soon as it’s available to compare it with my Galaxy Watch.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

The Pixel 7 series is not expected to bring a big change in battery life when compared to its predecessor, the Pixel 6 series. If you're looking for a smartphone with great battery life, the Pixel phones are not the ones to get.

• Sad

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
💯 This! We all know how it looks… but I‘m curious of what Google will do with their version of WearOS and how it performs. I’ve had Galaxy Watch 4 since launch and although I enjoy it, that Pixel Watch hardware looks aesthetically pleasing. I plan on picking one up as soon as it’s available to compare it with my Galaxy Watch.
Yeah I am still rocking the Apple Watch series 3. I want to see what Google does before I replace my watch with an Ultra (only compelling watch on Apple now, but more expensive than I like).

If the Pixel watch is somewhat platform independent, it will be a HUGE plus for me. While I still like my series 3 Apple Watch. It is nearly 5 years old and still does what I need from it. I just don't have the fancy new sensors or abilities from later devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.