Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
A few questions for Pixel owners if you don't mind, last time I had a Pixel it was the 3 so things might have changed...

1. Is there the option for a sidebar/edge panel (like with Xiaomi/Samsung respectively) to allow easy access to apps to open in split screen or as a floating window

2. Can you adjust app volume idenpendently. E.g. adjust volume of podcast while playing a game.

3. When using gesture navigation, is there still no option to remove that bar at the bottom that sometimes has an ugly background in some apps

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
A few questions for Pixel owners if you don't mind, last time I had a Pixel it was the 3 so things might have changed...

1. Is there the option for a sidebar/edge panel (like with Xiaomi/Samsung respectively) to allow easy access to apps to open in split screen or as a floating window

2. Can you adjust app volume idenpendently. E.g. adjust volume of podcast while playing a game.

3. When using gesture navigation, is there still no option to remove that bar at the bottom that sometimes has an ugly background in some apps

1. No there is no option for a sidebar/edge panel in Android 14 not any floating windows. It's just split-screen.

2. Not that I can tell.I don't play games on my phone but I just tested it. The media volume slider covers whatever game or podcast you're playing simultaneously. You'd have to adjust game volume from the game itself.

3. Nope. Still there, still can't be removed.

Reactions: h.gilbert

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
If the app has individual volume controls then yes. That is actually a bit different from iOS where the individual controls will sometimes get overwritten/ignored in my experience. I notice that in apps like Youtube where the volume slider will just do nothing at all sometimes, and sometimes it works. It's a problem when I am playing a game while watching something in PiP mode and iOS forces both to stay at the same volume.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
1. No there is no option for a sidebar/edge panel in Android 14 not any floating windows. It's just split-screen.

2. Not that I can tell.I don't play games on my phone but I just tested it. The media volume slider covers whatever game or podcast you're playing simultaneously. You'd have to adjust game volume from the game itself.

3. Nope. Still there, still can't be removed.

With no. 3, the gesture bar, are there still lots of apps where there is suddenly a white or black background behind the gesture bar? I assume apps that have that problem just weren't developed properly. I remember it really annoyed me with the Pixel 3 as quite a few apps had this problem.

If the app has individual volume controls then yes. That is actually a bit different from iOS where the individual controls will sometimes get overwritten/ignored in my experience. I notice that in apps like Youtube where the volume slider will just do nothing at all sometimes, and sometimes it works. It's a problem when I am playing a game while watching something in PiP mode and iOS forces both to stay at the same volume.

I meant a system setting that controls each app's volume, for example with MIUI you press either volume up or down and then press another icon to adjust the volume of each app that is currently playing audio, e.g...

Screenshot_2023-09-29-22-06-30-391_com.infinityvector.assolutoracing.jpg

Left: Master volume, Middle: volume of a game, Right: Volume of Google Podcasts

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Has anyone with the Pixel 7/7a not received android 14?

I have a 7a work phone and it's still not received the 14 update yet!

What's the hold up?

Not sure, but I gave up and manually installed to my 7a a couple weeks ago. I think they got a lower priority score for the upgrade push .

Was annoying using the 7a when the 8 Pro had 14

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I upgraded to the Pixel 7a from the 6a and noticed that the battery life wasn't as good. I'm a light user who tweaks the settings to maximise battery life where appropriate, so I wasn't too concerned as it was still sufficient for my needs.

Recently, I came across the following video, and after following the directions—power off the device and leave it for 10 minutes—the battery life on my 7a is now as good as on my 6a. I estimate it's improved by about a third. It's worth checking if you've got a 7a.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pixel_phones/comments/17301x1

Reactions: Technerd108

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Who needs a relic scanner these days? I just tried the Google Stack app and it perfectly scans any document. What really surprised me is that it cleans up the background to make everything disappear like Magic Eraser for the Pixel phone camera app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.