Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
For me I kinda prefer the colours of the s23+ but the focus is lacking on fur etc, even when he's sleeping

Yep... same issue.
Okay let's try this... With your phone connected to your Mac click off developer options the phone will then ask you to restart.. once you restart go to the build as per usual and enable developer options... When you get into developer options hit revoke USB debugging authorizations and hopefully you should see your phone and files

Reactions: Tig Bitties

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Okay let's try this... With your phone connected to your Mac click off developer options the phone will then ask you to restart.. once you restart go to the build as per usual and enable developer options... When you get into developer options hit revoke USB debugging authorizations and hopefully you should see your phone and files
I Still get

Could not connect to device

Try reconnecting or restarting your device.

I can import photos through the photos app, so my macbook can talk to my pixel..

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I Still get

I can import photos through the photos app, so my macbook can talk to my pixel..

Hmmm ...and obviously restarting the phone and Mac while connected same thing ?

Weird .. I was thinking maybe trying a different cable

Last edited:

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I've tried many cables and restarting both to no effect.

I'll have another crack when I'm back home
Good luck with it.. also thinking maybe uninstalling the app on the Mac and reinstalling it again... I've had that issue previously and the uncheck developer hack worked for me ...phone would connect to adb commands but not for files transfer ...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I Still get

What are you connecting it to? Is it a Mac or PC. Have you tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling.
I remember having this issue once on a Mac and it was the drivers.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I did love the S23U; best phone I've ever had. I was able to sell it literally for the price I bought it, so I went ahead and sold it. Carrying a second gigantic phone around with me was getting to be tiresome, TBH.

The Pixel 8 is definitely tempting, but you can't beat getting a brand new 7 for just $430.
I got a brand new 7 Pro for $399. And a free year of service with no contract.
I was going to go for a cheaper phone, as I mostly just use my iPad for portable computing, but it was too good of a deal, and it will be nice to have a decent camera when I don’t have my DSLR with me.

I’d like a phone about an inch shorter so it could fit in my pockets more easily. The curved screen edges can be a bit annoying, mostly because of glare/reflections when using a dark theme, and color distortion when using a light theme.

I don’t like that it takes two swipes to bring up (down?) the brightness control and one or two swipes more to close it. On iOS/iPadOS, it only takes one swipe to open and a tap or swipe to close.

I’ve heard that some people have had trouble with the fingerprint reader, but it works fine for me, and I like it on the front so I can unlock the phone when it’s lying on its back.

Reactions: 5105973

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Macbook pro m1 2020. I've tried removing Android file transfer and reinstalling. Smart switch worked for my galaxy (since uninstalled)

Just realised when uninstalling I probably didn't go into library and delete stuff there. Will try again tomorrow
What are you connecting it to? Is it a Mac or PC. Have you tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling.
I remember having this issue once on a Mac and it was the drivers.

Reactions: jamezr

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
I got a brand new 7 Pro for $399.
Pricing is pretty good on these, I got one for $499 from a retailer's sale. The camera is the best I've ever had but I am not happy with it for the same reasons, I dislike the curved display even though the quality and brightness are very good (the iPhone Pro uses a newer and better LTPO panel but obviously the iPhone's twice as expensive.). Not having the dot projector hardware for face unlock is very annoying. The fingerprint reader is behind in terms of convenience and speed and I wear motorcycle gloves that make it impossible to unlock then.

The Pixel 8 Pro seems to be fixing at least some of the annoyances (flat display!) but will likely see a price increase too. At that point I might as well get something like an iPhone 13 Mini or Pro on clearance sale for the same price. An older iPhone Pro likely has better hardware and especially build quality over a latest gen Pixel.

I appreciate that ifixit carries replacement parts for my Pixels and makes that more sustainable than an iPhone that's ready for the trash if anything happens to it out of warranty. But the sad reality is that for the same money I'd rather take my chances with the better iPhone hardware and the good reputation that they last a while. (A reputation that Pixels haven't had in recent years...)

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Pricing is pretty good on these, I got one for $499 from a retailer's sale. The camera is the best I've ever had but I am not happy with it for the same reasons, I dislike the curved display even though the quality and brightness are very good (the iPhone Pro uses a newer and better LTPO panel but obviously the iPhone's twice as expensive.). Not having the dot projector hardware for face unlock is very annoying. The fingerprint reader is behind in terms of convenience and speed and I wear motorcycle gloves that make it impossible to unlock then.

The Pixel 8 Pro seems to be fixing at least some of the annoyances (flat display!) but will likely see a price increase too. At that point I might as well get something like an iPhone 13 Mini or Pro on clearance sale for the same price. An older iPhone Pro likely has better hardware and especially build quality over a latest gen Pixel.

I appreciate that ifixit carries replacement parts for my Pixels and makes that more sustainable than an iPhone that's ready for the trash if anything happens to it out of warranty. But the sad reality is that for the same money I'd rather take my chances with the better iPhone hardware and the good reputation that they last a while. (A reputation that Pixels haven't had in recent years...)
If price is your motivation I don't see how Apple iPhone does better than Pixel. Pixel 8 is yet to officially launch but pricing should be similar to last year at least within $100 probably up.

Still Apple pricing is going up too. I mean if we are talking Apples to Apples here. An iPhone 13 is technically a year older that Pixel 7 Pro. iPhone 13 will be two years old when 15 comes out. P7P will be a year old b when Pixel 8 Pro comes out. iPhone 15 pricing on the Pros is supposed to be up $200 across the board for the Pro models with modest to no change on iPhone 15. But only the Pro models will get the good stuff like a17, periscope lense, etc.

So let's say instead of $899 the Pixel 8 Pro is $949 or $999 it will still be $100 cheaper than iPhone Pro and several hundred less than Pro Max. Hopefully Google is smart and doesn't raise the price which will give then a much better competitive edge.

In any case I don't see how anyone could argue that the Pixel 7 Pro was the flagship value king. It offered more for less than any other major flagship. Of course Google has cut several corners and made several compromises to get there but overall I think they have made the right choice. As Tensor gets better and better much like Apples a chips at the very start it took a while before a chips were really good. So I think over time people will continue to see the benefits from Google making their own chip instead of using an off the shelf Snapdragon chip.

Compare the Pixel 7 Pro to Samsung s23 ultra and you will see that besides the obvious design differences and UI differences the phones aren't that different. They are both fluid and fast. They both have a great big super crisp screen, they both have decent speakers, they both have big batteries, they both have premium build and design, they both have above average camera system. Sure the s23u is better on almost every metric I just listed but the difference is not super huge. Some may argue the price difference means that for a lot less money the Pixel is giving you 80-90% of the s ultra series type phone for several hundred less from Google not some off brand OEM.

From an infinite standpoint I believe Apple has gotten better on home repairs but still has a ways to go. If you have ever seen the insides of an iPhone it is actually very beautiful compared to a lot of other OEM. It is like the same design that goes on the outside of the phone goes inside. I give Apple that.

Seems like electronic hardware these days no matter the cost is kind of a crap shoot, granted some way more than others.

Reactions: 5105973

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
If price is your motivation I don't see how Apple iPhone does better than Pixel.
The older iPhone 13 Pro from 2021 actually has a newer gen LTPO display panel (that can adjust the frequency from 1Hz to 120Hz) than the Pixel 7 Pro from 2022 which still uses a first gen LTPO panel. Performance on the older iPhone is also much better than the Tensor SoC.

At best I am expecting the Pixel 8 Pro to be on par with the iPhone 13 Pro. And the 13 Pro can be had for around $850 or so now, the Pixel 8 Pro pricing will trend downwards to somewhere around $850 in 2024.

An iPhone 13 is technically a year older that Pixel 7 Pro.
And still it's got the better hardware. Even if the Pixel 8 Pro has better hardware, then there is the iPhone 14 Pro for $999 or slightly less over the next couple of months.

I am not taking the regular Pixel 7/8 into consideration since the regular Pixel 6 and 7 had terrible displays (they were quietly downgraded after the initial reviews so the reviews do not accurately reflect the display quality).

So let's say instead of $899 the Pixel 8 Pro is $949 or $999 it will still be $100 cheaper than iPhone Pro
The iPhone 14 Pro is still $999 and aside from the bad Lightning port will at least be on par with the Pixel 8 Pro's hardware. And the iPhone hardware and build quality is excellent, if the 8 Pro is similar to the 7 Pro and 6 Pro then it will have worse hardware than the iPhone. The temperature sensor will be the one thing that the iPhones don't have, but I doubt it's going to be a very essential sensor to have.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
The older iPhone 13 Pro from 2021 actually has a newer gen LTPO display panel (that can adjust the frequency from 1Hz to 120Hz) than the Pixel 7 Pro from 2022 which still uses a first gen LTPO panel. Performance on the older iPhone is also much better than the Tensor SoC.

At best I am expecting the Pixel 8 Pro to be on par with the iPhone 13 Pro. And the 13 Pro can be had for around $850 or so now, the Pixel 8 Pro pricing will trend downwards to somewhere around $850 in 2024.

And still it's got the better hardware. Even if the Pixel 8 Pro has better hardware, then there is the iPhone 14 Pro for $999 or slightly less over the next couple of months.

I am not taking the regular Pixel 7/8 into consideration since the regular Pixel 6 and 7 had terrible displays (they were quietly downgraded after the initial reviews so the reviews do not accurately reflect the display quality).

The iPhone 14 Pro is still $999 and aside from the bad Lightning port will at least be on par with the Pixel 8 Pro's hardware. And the iPhone hardware and build quality is excellent, if the 8 Pro is similar to the 7 Pro and 6 Pro then it will have worse hardware than the iPhone. The temperature sensor will be the one thing that the iPhones don't have, but I doubt it's going to be a very essential sensor to have.
Look I am not here to tell you what you like or what you value most.

You seem to be set on a certain dollar amount.

Personally from reading your post it seems you prefer Apple even if just slightly. So if I were you I would certainly buy the iPhone 15 Pro Max. Maybe with certain carrier promotions you can get the iPhone 15 instead of the 13.

On the iPhone 13 Pro Max it does not have the latest LTPO screen. I had one. It can go down but not to 1hz more like 10 or something like that.

Personally I think the iPhone 13 Pro Max was Apples last great phone. It still has a sim tray. It has 5 g. It has 120hz Oled. It is a great phone. I am not going back to it now but hope Apple will release another phone like the iPhone 13PM!

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Personally from reading your post it seems you prefer Apple even if just slightly. So if I were you I would certainly buy the iPhone 15 Pro Max.
My main phone is actually a Pixel 4 still, I prefer Android over iOS though the iPhone's hardware and build quality just can't be beat. In any case, my point is simply that if Google continues the cheaper hardware trend with the 8 Pro but raises the price as well, then an older iPhone will offer just as much if not more for the same price.

On the iPhone 13 Pro Max it does not have the latest LTPO screen. I had one. It can go down but not to 1hz more like 10 or something like that.
You are right, the 14 Pro series has the 1Hz panel. The 13 Pro can go down to 10Hz. The Pixel 7 Pro seems to do either 60Hz or 48Hz but not 10Hz. It could of course be a software limitation with Android but the result is the same that this panel does not perform as well. It's not brighter than the older iPhone's panel either despite being released a year later.

Personally I think the iPhone 13 Pro Max was Apples last great phone. It still has a sim tray. It has 5 g. It has 120hz Oled. It is a great phone. I am not going back to it now but hope Apple will release another phone like the iPhone 13PM!
I like the 13 Pro series the best due to the older notch, I don't like the new notch design. The SIM card tray will die out regardless, I switched my main line over to eSIM this year finally and it was as easy as checking a box online and within the hour I received a code to scan on the phone and that was that. When switching phones it's now possible to transfer the eSIM without customer support simply by removing it from the old phone first and then scanning the same code on the new phone. I don't see what value the physical cards provide. Especially for switching plans quickly when travelling through multiple countries abroad I found eSIMs to be super convenient.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
My main phone is actually a Pixel 4 still, I prefer Android over iOS though the iPhone's hardware and build quality just can't be beat. In any case, my point is simply that if Google continues the cheaper hardware trend with the 8 Pro but raises the price as well, then an older iPhone will offer just as much if not more for the same price.

You are right, the 14 Pro series has the 1Hz panel. The 13 Pro can go down to 10Hz. The Pixel 7 Pro seems to do either 60Hz or 48Hz but not 10Hz. It could of course be a software limitation with Android but the result is the same that this panel does not perform as well. It's not brighter than the older iPhone's panel either despite being released a year later.

I like the 13 Pro series the best due to the older notch, I don't like the new notch design. The SIM card tray will die out regardless, I switched my main line over to eSIM this year finally and it was as easy as checking a box online and within the hour I received a code to scan on the phone and that was that. When switching phones it's now possible to transfer the eSIM without customer support simply by removing it from the old phone first and then scanning the same code on the new phone. I don't see what value the physical cards provide. Especially for switching plans quickly when travelling through multiple countries abroad I found eSIMs to be super convenient.
I am very sure the Google Pixel 7 Pro LTPO panel can drop down to 10hz just not below like the newer panels which go down to 1hz. The iPhone 13 Pro Max uses a similar refresh rate OLED display.

E sim is a polarizing issue. Some people could care less. Personally I just like the ease of switching a physical sim from one phone to another. I like having the sim an easily user replaceable part instead of hardwired to the phone. I have had sims go bad over time. So any phone that still uses a physical sim is a bonus to me although I know the inevitable is no sim trays in all phones eventually.

I get the notch. Dynamic Island is a travesty. It is a terrible way to use software to cover up an eyesore and hardware blemish.

Honestly I always thought the way Apple implemented the notch was smart. I didn't like it but as they refined it over the years you basically didn't notice it. To me the smallest notch on iPhone 13 pro Max is a much better design aesthetic compared to the pill hole punch out. But again these are personal and subjective and this is just my opinion.

To be honest the Pixel 7 Pro is really close to being a great phone. It is a really good phone limited by the Tensor G2. It is not that the G2 is slow it is that it goes from cool to hot lava way faster than it should. This heating throttles the phone eventually and chews through the battery. If the Tensor G3 can fix these flaws then the Pixel 8 will most likely be a great phone. It should also get longer software updates than previous Pixel?

So in my personal opinion that is not objective at all I would want to get a Pixel 8 Pro or iPhone 15 max or Pro Max. Sure the 15 Max won't have a lot of the extras like Pro Motion, 5x zoom or even a17 but it will have a16 which is still extremely fast and it will have USB c. Coming from an iPhone 12 with poor battery I think any device you get is going to be an improvement. On top of that the 5g modem in the iPhone 12 line was notorious for running hot and using a lot of battery.

Personally for the money you just can't go wrong with the Pixel 8 Pro. However, of iOS is important then this is a big year for Apple on the Pro models with a17, 5x zoom, USB c, titanium frame. I would pony up the extra cash and at least get a iPhone 15 Pro.

Reactions: okkibs

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
For those who have had the Pixel 7 series, I'm curious, how was the experience at launch with both the Software and Hardware. I'm heavily considering moving from Samsung to a Pixel but the QC has always scared me off.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
For those who have had the Pixel 7 series, I'm curious, how was the experience at launch with both the Software and Hardware. I'm heavily considering moving from Samsung to a Pixel but the QC has always scared me off.
At the launch of the P7P last year.....it took me 3 phones before I finally got one without issues. To their credit Google replaced them no questions asked though.

Reactions: mjschabow

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
It has honestly been about the same experience as my Samsung. Software has been stable and well implemented. I can't think of any issues I have had with the phone at all other than related to Tensor G2. Even the Samsung modem has been surprisingly good?

I think the thing is if you get a lemon, you just have to replace it and if you do it fast enough, most of the time they will replace it with a new one if you bitch and complain enough in good way of course.

I have seen many horror stories of people trying to fix a defective Pixel and having to go back for the same repair over and over again.

But if you get a good Pixel, odds are that it will be every bit as durable as any other phone.

Just buy the extra monthly insurance coverage but just buy it monthly. Then after a few months if you are good just cancel it. Then if anything bad would happen it would generally happen within the first few months so you would have priority coverage. It is $9 a month for a base Pro.

Pixel 7 Pro has honestly been a great phone rivaling the s23 ultra. It has its issues like any device but it is mostly really smooth. I am hopeful that some of the things holding it back will be improved in the Pixel 8🤞

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
For those who have had the Pixel 7 series, I'm curious, how was the experience at launch with both the Software and Hardware.
I don't know about launch since I got it later, but I have found that the stock Google experience leads to ever-changing features, temporarily worse battery life and stability. I have both the 4, 4XL, 6 Pro and 7 Pro switched over to GrapheneOS that supports all of the Google features (except for Android Auto which can be a dealbreaker) and in all the years there hasn't been a single update that caused me issues. On the other hand we also have a 4a on the regular Google system and that had an update pushed out a couple months ago where the phone started crashing, hanging and even though it was fixed later my friend who owns the 4a was not happy that Google temporarily broke the phone. That was the only time in 3 years that there was a major issue and now the phone is back to working ok.

To me GOS is the equivalent to iOS and stock Google is more overloaded with all those integrated features I don't want like it automatically listening for music so it can tell me what's playing, I don't want those unless I explicitely enable such a feature or install an app for it. The Google Assistant is also something that I am forced to have on stock Google but on GOS it's optional.

From the hardware side the 6 Pro has a bit of an issue that sometimes the screen will start flickering heavily and the device might need a reboot. Happens once every couple weeks and doesn't bother me at all as I got it for very little money and knew that this first gen Pro has some flaws.

No overheating or any other issues but again, that's with GOS, I am sure it's worse on the stock Google system.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I don't know about launch since I got it later, but I have found that the stock Google experience leads to ever-changing features, temporarily worse battery life and stability. I have both the 4, 4XL, 6 Pro and 7 Pro switched over to GrapheneOS that supports all of the Google features (except for Android Auto which can be a dealbreaker) and in all the years there hasn't been a single update that caused me issues. On the other hand we also have a 4a on the regular Google system and that had an update pushed out a couple months ago where the phone started crashing, hanging and even though it was fixed later my friend who owns the 4a was not happy that Google temporarily broke the phone. That was the only time in 3 years that there was a major issue and now the phone is back to working ok.

To me GOS is the equivalent to iOS and stock Google is more overloaded with all those integrated features I don't want like it automatically listening for music so it can tell me what's playing, I don't want those unless I explicitely enable such a feature or install an app for it. The Google Assistant is also something that I am forced to have on stock Google but on GOS it's optional.

From the hardware side the 6 Pro has a bit of an issue that sometimes the screen will start flickering heavily and the device might need a reboot. Happens once every couple weeks and doesn't bother me at all as I got it for very little money and knew that this first gen Pro has some flaws.

No overheating or any other issues but again, that's with GOS, I am sure it's worse on the stock Google system.
Just FYI, you can turn the Google Assistant listening feature off. It is something that you setup upon initial setup and can be later configured in the settings.

It always baffles my mind when I see people who buy a Pixel and put Graphene OS or some other "free from Google" aosp build of Android. WHY buy a Google phone of you don't like Google or feel they are a privacy risk in the first place? Why would you want to pay for the Google experience, Google computational photography, and Pixel UI just to exchange it for something more restricted?

But heh, to each there own.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Why would you want to pay for the Google experience, Google computational photography, and Pixel UI just to exchange it for something more restricted?
I paid for the Google Camera which is one of the best cameras on any smartphone and contrary to what you claim it's fully supported with GOS. It's got a UI that's just as simple and to the point as Pixel UI, which is another reason I chose that over phones with the terrible UIs that other manufacturers like Samsung force on their customers. Furthermore I paid for 5 years of update support which GOS retains as well.

I don't want a phone with a worse camera or without the 5 year updates. Why would I buy a worse phone? The only phone that I'd have liked better would have been the 14 Pro at the time, but I got the Pixel for literally half the price of a 14 Pro, so that was an easy decision.

Every couple years I check pricing and either upgrade my Pixel or my iPhone. I use both since I need an extra phone for my business. And last time the Pixel just had the better value. Next year I'll be leaning towards the 15 Pro since the Pixel 8 Pro will cost just as much but will likely have worse hardware.

Your question is similar to when I tell someone about a new iPhone and get asked why I didn't just buy a cheaper Android - then when I do get an Android someone will eventually ask why I didn't just buy an iPhone.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I paid for the Google Camera which is one of the best cameras on any smartphone and contrary to what you claim it's fully supported with GOS. It's got a UI that's just as simple and to the point as Pixel UI, which is another reason I chose that over phones with the terrible UIs that other manufacturers like Samsung force on their customers. Furthermore I paid for 5 years of update support which GOS retains as well.

I don't want a phone with a worse camera or without the 5 year updates. Why would I buy a worse phone? The only phone that I'd have liked better would have been the 14 Pro at the time, but I got the Pixel for literally half the price of a 14 Pro, so that was an easy decision.

Every couple years I check pricing and either upgrade my Pixel or my iPhone. I use both since I need an extra phone for my business. And last time the Pixel just had the better value. Next year I'll be leaning towards the 15 Pro since the Pixel 8 Pro will cost just as much but will likely have worse hardware.

Your question is similar to when I tell someone about a new iPhone and get asked why I didn't just buy a cheaper Android - then when I do get an Android someone will eventually ask why I didn't just buy an iPhone.

Relax. Seems like everyone these days is just chomping at the bits to go off.

You paid for 5 years of Pixel OS support actually. I didn't claim that the hardware is any different but the software can't be the same. Your GOS is open source? Does it it allow proprietary code? I doubt Google would just let anyone use their camera software. Pretty sure it is pretty important to them. But maybe I am wrong. So understand that I am not "claiming" anything.

I actually get why you have both types of phones. I enjoy it but at the moment I am using two android phones but in the past I alternated between iOS and Android. I enjoyed doing that for a few years.

Everyone has their thing. If you like putting on GOS on your Pixel I am certainly not judging you. It is just not for me.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
All your questions can be answered with a google search and you could give it a try yourself since you have a Pixel. The GOS website answers many questions. You asked why I'd want to run GOS and I pointed out the misunderstandings such as the camera which is identical running the same code, same Google camera app, same Google camera firmware. I am not here to convince you to use GOS or to explain how it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.