Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modusoul

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2021
Sooo I have been on the s23 ultra since mid July ( shortly after Amazon prime day) and I love it. I didn't think I would compared to my pixel 7 pro but it's been a pleasant surprise. I hate the pictures though. And UI feels heavy.

Other than that, it's feels like a flagship phone. Battery is insane! Like 13 pro max insane.

The screen man! It's absolutely gorgeous.

Animations are good. Not pixel or iPhone good but not noticing the notorious jitter that gets mentioned so often.

My original plan was to get the pixel fold but the Amazon prime deal for the s23 ultra was too hard to pass up.

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Quite a bit has happened since I last posted here.

Pixel 7 was lost (actually more accurately stolen) which resulted in me reverting back to my Pixel 3 for most of the summer.

I finally replaced it with a 7a which I friggen love and am curious if I just stay on A releases now going forward for my Android devices?

Some time on Android 12 really made me appreciate the advances of current Android after switching back.

With this being potentially "The year" Apple (((FINALLY))) adopts USB-C, I am wondering if I even bother updating devices on the Android side since my 7a is still so new and really well liked?

Sooo I have been on the s23 ultra since mid July ( shortly after Amazon prime day) and I love it. I didn't think I would compared to my pixel 7 pro but it's been a pleasant surprise. I hate the pictures though. And UI feels heavy.

Other than that, it's feels like a flagship phone. Battery is insane! Like 13 pro max insane.

The screen man! It's absolutely gorgeous.

Animations are good. Not pixel or iPhone good but not noticing the notorious jitter that gets mentioned so often.

My original plan was to get the pixel fold but the Amazon prime deal for the s23 ultra was too hard to pass up.
Underlined area is what kept me from getting one. Had mega incentive to buy, but decided on the 7a and couldn't be happier.

Also kinda over HUGE phones to the point that if Apple only offers Periscope on the Max versions, I will pass on that upgrade too this year.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The 7a is a fantastic phone, running the Pixel UI, and $499.

If I were you I wouldn't upgrade again until like the Pixel 9a

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Now I want to try Pixel Beta. 😆.....

Oh well. Looks like a pretty cool feature that has been missing in these phones for a while. Edge lighting was an attempt by Samsung to do something similar year's ago. Before that phones used to have little LEDs in the bezel that would light up for a notification and were even color coded.

Personally I wish they would bring back the LEDs but with the bezels so slim there is no place to put them.
Meh...ive had phones with LED notifications, you could change the color for certain apps and i ended up not paying any attention to it. First off, i couldnt remember which color i had for which so it ended up just i saw it flashing and then loking to see what it was for so i ended up turning it off.

I see this no different. If this s a feature in the Pixel 8, ill have it turned off as well. I see my notifications on my lockscreen.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
already got two guys at work to switch to the 7a. Just makes the most sense for this price point.
I would get one today but not available in my country. An electronics chain is currently offering the 6a at 350 Euros. I am hesitant due to what I have read concerning over heating, battery, not so great display etc.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Pixel 7a in my opinion is the best "a" version with complete features offered to date. I heard it's so good and complete with necessary features that they aren't considering future "a" versions as it so easily competes with the regular 7. Once 120hz becomes a standard feature, I'm not really sure what they will differentiate with aside from cameras and storage size. Maybe Satellite SOS features? Things that won't really change the basic use of the phone.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I miss my Pixel 7 Pro so much. I dislike using my iPhone.

kylie-jenner-shade.gif

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Pixel 8 announcement is on Oct. 4th, less than one month out. And typically goes on sale that same day and ships in a week or two after.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
[https://www]

EssentialsMore

Design & PlanDevelopGoogle Play

EnglishAndroid Studio

Sign in

PLATFORM

OverviewReleasesTechnologyMachine Learning

All Android releases

ANDROID 14

Home

About the program

Program overview and timeline

Feedback and issue tracker

Release notes

Get started

Behavior changes for apps

New features

Reference updates

MORE

Dashboards

Android Developers

Essentials

Releases

Was this helpful?

Release notes

bookmark_border

On this page

About Android 14 Beta 5

How to get Beta 5

General advisories

Get support

Top resolved issues

Top open issues

Other known issues

Android platform

Beta 5.3Beta 5.2Beta 5.1Beta 5

Release dateSeptember 6, 2023BuildUPB5.230623.009Emulator supportx86 (64-bit), ARM (v8-A)Security patch levelAugust 2023Google Play services23.18.18API diff

U Beta 2 → API 34

API 33 → API 34

Android 14 Beta 5.3 (September 2023)

This minor update to Android 14 Beta 5 includes the following fixes:

Fixed an issue where apps crashed in some cases after a CallStyle notification was posted.

Fixed various issues that could cause call or carrier service interruptions.

Fixed an issue where the system was using an inefficient path when placing CPU restrictions on apps running in the background.

Fixed issues with SurfaceFlinger that were causing a loss in system performance.

Fixed an issue on Pixel Fold and Pixel Tablet devices where the taskbar sometimes turned invisible while interacting with it.

Fixed an issue on Pixel Fold and Pixel Tablet devices where the animation on animated wallpapers stuttered when launching apps.

Fixed an issue on Pixel Fold devices where the interface layout was misaligned while customizing the Home screen.

Fixed an issue on Pixel Fold devices where the clock on the lock screen was flickering while animating.

Fixed various issues that were impacting system stability and performance.

All eligible devices enrolled in the Android Beta for Pixel program will be offered an over-the-air (OTA) update to Beta 5.3.

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
Sooo after almost a year with my 7 Pro, I decided to leave the Pixel boat. The only really impressive thing about this phone turned out to be the camera, other than that I am just not into Google's 'clean' Android, especially having come from a Samsung where I was able to do literally anything with the phone. To me, the Pixel just felt like the iPhone of Android in many ways. Also, Google's aesthetics throughout the UI is questionable and incoherent imho (like eg the contrast between the super clean and minimalist settings menu and the very childish weather app - I know you can download any other weather app, but just asking myself who approved of this design), in general not my cup of tea. Other than that, while it is a beautiful phone (although I disliked the curved screen in the end and the fact it was rounded so much at the corners), I noticed how awkwardly big and heavy it is, especially in the summer where I ended up carrying it in my hand for most of the time as it was pulling down any light pants whenever it was in a pocket. And carrying it in the hand was also not pleasurable considering how wide it is (and I have big palms lol). But! This is not entirely the end of the story, as I plan to keep the 7 Pro for now due to its camera - I replaced it with a Galaxy Z Flip 5 and during some longer trips, I will definitely prefer Pixel for pictures considering its photographic prowess. I take lots of pictures, so this is important to me and I am still on the fence about getting a new dslr/system camera as a separate device, so for now this will do.

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Sooo after almost a year with my 7 Pro, I decided to leave the Pixel boat. The only really impressive thing about this phone turned out to be the camera, other than that I am just not into Google's 'clean' Android, especially having come from a Samsung where I was able to do literally anything with the phone. To me, the Pixel just felt like the iPhone of Android in many ways. Also, Google's aesthetics throughout the UX is questionable and incoherent imho (like eg the contrast between the super clean and minimalist settings menu and the very childish weather app - I know you can download any other weather app, but just asking myself who approved of this design), in general not my cup of tea. Other than that, while it is a beautiful phone (although I disliked the curved screen in the end and the fact it was rounded so much at the corners), I noticed how awkwardly big and heavy it is, especially in the summer where I ended up carrying it in my hand for most of the time as it was pulling down any light pants whenever it was in a pocket. And carrying it in the hand was also not pleasurable considering how wide it is (and I have big palms lol). But! This is not entirely the end of the story, as I plan to keep the 7 Pro for now due to its camera - I replaced it with a Galaxy Z Flip 5 and during some longer trips, I will definitely prefer Pixel for pictures considering its photographic prowess. I take lots of pictures, so this is important to me and I am still on the fence about getting a new dslr/system camera as a separate device, so for now this will do.

What other Android phone interests you?

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I have connected to my previous P7P and now to my Pixel Fold...you seeing issue ?
Android file transfer says it can't connect. Photos can import photos from it... have tried usb debugging

It works with my Garmin so it might be my phone..

Last edited:

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
What other Android phone interests you?
To be perfectly honest, for me it is (was) only between Samsung and Google. Do not want to have a phone from a Chinese manufacturer, if anyone is supposed to have loads of my personal data, let it be Americans/Koreans... So Xiaomi, Oppo, OnePlus, Huawei or Motorola are off the table, but honestly I have never even felt particularly enticed by any of these brands. I have had the Flip for a week now and absolutely love the device, so have not really thought about what I will want to have next, but guess it will be between the Flip, the Galaxy S Ultra and the iPhone (if it finally gets a camera with proper zooming capabilities and they figure out image processing so it is not as ridiculous as currently).

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
To be perfectly honest, for me it is (was) only between Samsung and Google. Do not want to have a phone from a Chinese manufacturer, if anyone is supposed to have loads of my personal data, let it be Americans/Koreans... So Xiaomi, Oppo, OnePlus, Huawei or Motorola are off the table, but honestly I have never even felt particularly enticed by any of these brands. I have had the Flip for a week now and absolutely love the device, so have not really thought about what I will want to have next, but guess it will be between the Flip, the Galaxy S Ultra and the iPhone (if it finally gets a camera with proper zooming capabilities and they figure out image processing so it is not as ridiculous as currently).
I know everyone is different but I much prefer my p7p to my s23 plus even if the battery isn't close. The UI imo is much better and there's no comparison with the camera, especially with my dog

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Android file transfer says it can't connect. Photos can import photos from it... have tried usb debugging

It works with my Garmin so it might be my phone..
Did you try to revoke all authorization and reboot phone and try from scratch

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
I know everyone is different but I much prefer my p7p to my s23 plus even if the battery isn't close. The UI imo is much better and there's no comparison with the camera, especially with my dog
UI is a matter of personal taste, indeed. Regarding the camera I agree, although I do not have any comparison with the S23U as this is the direct competitor. I remember last year when I switched from the Note20U to the P7P, I was a bit surprised about the colours the camera is producing as they are toned down and funny enough the Note used to be closer to reality than the Pixel in my eyes. Plus, while Pixel's main camera is excellent, the selfie one is absolutely terrible, you can clearly see it does not have auto focus, so the more you zoom in, the more you see how blurred your face is. I am not really a person who would be taking selfies and posting them everywhere, but I was disappointed with it.

As a fun fact I can add that my best friend has the P6P while her fiancé has the S22U and he claims the Pixel's camera is noticeably better. I think Google really mastered the processing of pictures and I hope Apple will also be able to figure it out.

Reactions: robvalentine

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
UI is a matter of personal taste, indeed. Regarding the camera I agree, although I do not have any comparison with the S23U as this is the direct competitor. I remember last year when I switched from the Note20U to the P7P, I was a bit surprised about the colours the camera is producing as they are toned down and funny enough the Note used to be closer to reality than the Pixel in my eyes. Plus, while Pixel's main camera is excellent, the selfie one is absolutely terrible, you can clearly see it does not have auto focus, so the more you zoom in, the more you see how blurred your face is. I am not really a person who would be taking selfies and posting them everywhere, but I was disappointed with it.

As a fun fact I can add that my best friend has the P6P while her fiancé has the S22U and he claims the Pixel's camera is noticeably better. I think Google really mastered the processing of pictures and I hope Apple will also be able to figure it out.
For me I kinda prefer the colours of the s23+ but the focus is lacking on fur etc, even when he's sleeping
Did you try to revoke all authorization and reboot phone and try from scratch
Yep... same issue.

Last edited:

modusoul

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2021
It truly is better. The processing in Pixels is the best there is! Even with inferior hardware. I have a s23u and p7p and I can not stress enough how much better the pics are from my p7p. From color science, motion blur, hdr, and etc. Portraits in Googles camp have gone down hill though. Samsung does a great job of this nowadays.

Can Google’s processing over-cook things make a picture look terribly over-sharpen? Sure it does happen occasionally but it’s less than the amount of times my s23u misses a photo due to motion blur. And that’s just ONE problem of the camera. Never mind the over saturation and unrealistic looking pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.