Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Tone down the lights? If Nothing 2 is any indication.. he’s not going to do that. I’m of the belief if you don’t care for the lights.. then the Nothing 2 won’t appeal to you at all. And that’s okay, but I think it’s the main draw!
It's not that I don't like them. I had a RedMagic with programmable rgb LEDs and a fan on the phone.

It is just that I expect more from Nothing. It is great to grab attention and it can do a few handy things with the lights but over time in real world use it will be just a gimmick. It looks cool but that is more it's function than actually doing anything.

I would have rather him spent more of the small budget on better components than lights but I am not a hater. It is a well done design. Looks like it should have been in the remake of Tron the movie.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Pixel 8 will be 6.3" down from the 6.4" from this year. It is pretty close to 6.5"?

Nothing phone is a non starter for me too. I wish Carl good luck.

If he really concentrates on software as it looks like he is already doing, tones down the lights and delivers better specs at a competitive price and commits to 4 or more years of software updates then it is possible that I might just get nothing at some point.

Still won't be wide enough for my personal preferences

That's why I'd always go for the Pro version; more real estate on the screen

Reactions: jamezr

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
So as I knew would happen; I've got my iPhone 14PM on its way back to me. The fella I sold it to asked if he'd be ok to return it in a few weeks if he couldn't get on with it; and he is and it'll be back with me later this afternoon 😂

TBH I'm happy to go back to it; as much as I like the P7P; I got too used to the iPhone and miss the Apple Music/Remote functionality with my M2 Mac Mini, whilst I'm in another room etc but also miss the screen and iOS in all honesty...

I've sold the P7P; got exactly what I paid for it, so that's good...

Still have my Pixel 4XL and Samsung A53 5G, so still well in with Android ;)

The phone that interests me the most now is the iPhone 15... I've gone cold on the Pixel Fold unfortunately

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
does anyone remember what the Pixel 7 / Pro launch offers were in the UK? Was there a trade in offer? And/or free buds or watch?

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
In the UK we got a free watch. Kept mine for a bit but the size and battery life (or lack of) resulted in me selling it.

Thanks

Just trying to see if it’s worth waiting for the Pixel 8 Pro or just play it safe and get a second hand iphone 14 pro max

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
Have you looked on Amazon UK to see if the iPhone 14PM is on 5 month payments? Well worth buying it new IMO and that way...

I have a serious distrust of 2nd hand phones personally

I have also started to build up distrust of second hand phones after my iPad Pro cellular version was blocked after 6 months

Luckily CEX took the iPad back and have a full refund

However, there’s this eBay seller who is basically a Tesco Mobile outlet and sell 14 day returns from Tesco mobile

I got my 11 pro max and an iPhone 14 (for someone else) via this seller and no issues. Fully boxed, original box and cable , virtually 7 days old and much cheaper than new so I do trust this seller

However , I’ll wait to see what the 15 pro max will be and I guess price point will be stupidly expensive

Do apple tend to do zero percent interest rate payment plans on launch ?

Reactions: danb1979

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I have also started to build up distrust of second hand phones after my iPad Pro cellular version was blocked after 6 months

Luckily CEX took the iPad back and have a full refund

However, there’s this eBay seller who is basically a Tesco Mobile outlet and sell 14 day returns from Tesco mobile

I got my 11 pro max and an iPhone 14 (for someone else) via this seller and no issues. Fully boxed, original box and cable , virtually 7 days old and much cheaper than new so I do trust this seller

However , I’ll wait to see what the 15 pro max will be and I guess price point will be stupidly expensive

Do apple tend to do zero percent interest rate payment plans on launch ?

No idea re interest rates TBH; if I don't want to cough up the lump there & then I'll consider Klarna pay over 3, PayPal pay over 3 or the pay in 5 instalments on Amazon

None of them are based on credit scores and don't affect credit scores...

Mines just getting its health back after running my own Ltd Company for 14 years (basically a low credit score as I took minimum wage and never had anything on credit bar my mobile SIM only contract etc)

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I would also wait for the Pixel 8 Pro ... It's a nice savings but I would like to be testing the new chip and the small improvements...

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
when do Google tend to release the new Pixel range? I may be tempted to wait, and hopefully my grievances with the Pixel 7 Pro might have been fixed by then :)

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
I enjoy my pixel 7 for photos (which is why I got it). I traded in my old Pixel 5 on google.com and they gave me a Pixel 7 for $200).

But over the past year I've owned it, after some system update, the transcription feature (which I use ALL the time) has been slow to initialize. It used to be instant as I have it do this locally on my device. Now it is sometimes instant, other times it takes up to 25 seconds. More frequently than I care to admit, it never initializes and I have to try 3 or 4 times.

I've also had weird bugs in the messenger apps I use. The keyboard not coming up, photos not attaching, apps not "releasing" the camera to be used, sometimes convos bubble up and I can't use features in the "bubbled" conversation.

But I still like it. I got a mag safe case from Mous and I love magsafe now. What seemed gimmicky at first has been great. Magsafe mount for my old ass car. Magsafe charger by the bed so I know it attached right when I go to sleep. Magsafe is GREAT.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I purchased myself a Pixel 7 (256GB) for $430. The price was a steal, so I went ahead and bought it. I'm surprised by how much I love the smaller size. I always get the largest phones, but this small size is actually nice. I've missed stock Android so much.

Also, I sold both my Nothing Phone and my S23U. I'm kinda tired of purchasing and selling phones and dealing with different OS's. I'm just going to stick with the 7 and my iPhone for the next few years.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I purchased myself a Pixel 7 (256GB) for $430. The price was a steal, so I went ahead and bought it. I'm surprised by how much I love the smaller size. I always get the largest phones, but this small size is actually nice. I've missed stock Android so much.

Also, I sold both my Nothing Phone and my S23U. I'm kinda tired of purchasing and selling phones and dealing with different OS's. I'm just going to stick with the 7 and my iPhone for the next few years.

Wow you dumped the S23 Ultra, thought you loved that phone?

I'm also a large phone guy, but will admit they've all gotten so ridiculous large lately, they're hard to use. A "smaller" 6.3" sized phone is considered tiny now LOL. The flat display on the Pixel 7 is nice.

I think the Pixel 8 is going down to a 6.1 inch size, but will have 120hz refresh rate.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Wow you dumped the S23 Ultra, thought you loved that phone?

I'm also a large phone guy, but will admit they've all gotten so ridiculous large lately, they're hard to use. A "smaller" 6.3" sized phone is considered tiny now LOL. The flat display on the Pixel 7 is nice.

I think the Pixel 8 is going down to a 6.1 inch size, but will have 120hz refresh rate.
I did love the S23U; best phone I've ever had. I was able to sell it literally for the price I bought it, so I went ahead and sold it. Carrying a second gigantic phone around with me was getting to be tiresome, TBH.

The Pixel 8 is definitely tempting, but you can't beat getting a brand new 7 for just $430.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

Can't go wrong with a Pixel 7 and a good iPhone. Pretty great combination of you ask me.

I love my Pixel 7 Pro. I went full into Android with my 7 Pro and the s23 ultra. Right now for me I am giving iPhone a break. We will see what happens with the next couple iPhones. I may get a 16 but for now I am planning to stay on Android.

If I were going to have two phones and one was an iPhone and the other an Android as much as I really love Pixel UI I would probably have stuck with Samsung ultra.

But hey that is the thing. You do what you like until you change your mind. You may love x y z phone today and hate it tomorrow. We are human beings and we like to think we are very logical but sometimes we just do things because we want a change.

I am really looking forward to the Pixel 8 Pro. But I don't think there will be a huge difference between the Pixel 7 and 8 besides the chip and that is anyone's guess at this point. So if you can save a good amount on a great phone then I would do it.

One suggestion I will make and a lot of people may argue with what I am about to say but with Google hardware there can be added risk of device hardware failure. I would buy the monthly added warranty for a few dollars a month for at least a few months to see if there are any issues. Then you can decide to keep it or not? Just nice to have priority treatment when you have a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.