Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
transfer data from iphone during set up, and there's an option to transfer chats to whatsapp in whatsapp. If your backups are encrypted then it may not work. you need to transfer it during setup though, otherwise you will need to factory reset again. I found it pretty easy tbh

Cheers for that

All sorted with zero issues. Weird as when I tried to move everything across to the short lived S23U, it was having none of it and failed a number of times.

The Pixel 7 Pro did it in minutes!

Forgot how good the phones are TBH. It's great to be back with Android...

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
So my Samsung Galaxy got the July update but crickets on Pixel? What gives? I thought one of the advantages of buying a Pixel was getting updates before anyone else? When Samsung ofall OEM's is faster at delivering updatse updates it is a little annoying. Not that I am complaining about Samsung at all.

I have been using my Pixel 7 Pro as my main phone now for the past week or two and comparing it to my S23 ultra I am really hoping we get a win with the Tensor G3.

I think the things that bother me most about the phone boil down to two problems on an otherwise pretty stellar experience. But those two things affect everything else which is a problem.

The battery life and thermal performance of the phone is an issue. I can get through a full day but I am pretty much at 25% at the end of the day. This is fine. It is not bad and I am a heavy user but it is not great either and that is with adaptive battery and screen brightness. If I went with my normal 75-85% of screen brightness I would be even lower. With a 5000mah battery it just seems a little poor.

The thermal performance is another issue. I live in Nevada and it gets over 100 for most of the summer and early fall. In the peak of the summer we are at 116-120 degrees. So the phone at a cool temperature gets warm easy but in the heat it gets almost hot. Heat can degrade battery life and performance and throttle the cpu for poor performance. I have not experienced these issues yet but it is concerning.

If Google had just put some vapor chamber cooling to this device it might have solved much of the issue. I still don't hate the Tensor as I have experienced much worse mobile cpu's in the past. Even under heavy load the performance is acceptable.

All that being said the phone is with everything else just a joy to use. It seems extremely stable and I don't get any odd errors or hiccup's. My S23 is amazingly fast and battery life and thermals are great but every so often I experience odd behavior that annoys me. Nothing that really get's in the way but the Pixel just seems to work without any glitches so far.

We are nearing the Pixel 8 series and I am wondering how many people who have a Pixel 7, 7 Pro or 7a are going to upgrade or are at least thinking about it? What would prevent you from upgrading and what might push you to do so?

Reactions: danb1979

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
So my Samsung Galaxy got the July update but crickets on Pixel? What gives? I thought one of the advantages of buying a Pixel was getting updates before anyone else? When Samsung ofall OEM's is faster at delivering updatse updates it is a little annoying. Not that I am complaining about Samsung at all.

I have been using my Pixel 7 Pro as my main phone now for the past week or two and comparing it to my S23 ultra I am really hoping we get a win with the Tensor G3.

I think the things that bother me most about the phone boil down to two problems on an otherwise pretty stellar experience. But those two things affect everything else which is a problem.

The battery life and thermal performance of the phone is an issue. I can get through a full day but I am pretty much at 25% at the end of the day. This is fine. It is not bad and I am a heavy user but it is not great either and that is with adaptive battery and screen brightness. If I went with my normal 75-85% of screen brightness I would be even lower. With a 5000mah battery it just seems a little poor.

The thermal performance is another issue. I live in Nevada and it gets over 100 for most of the summer and early fall. In the peak of the summer we are at 116-120 degrees. So the phone at a cool temperature gets warm easy but in the heat it gets almost hot. Heat can degrade battery life and performance and throttle the cpu for poor performance. I have not experienced these issues yet but it is concerning.

If Google had just put some vapor chamber cooling to this device it might have solved much of the issue. I still don't hate the Tensor as I have experienced much worse mobile cpu's in the past. Even under heavy load the performance is acceptable.

All that being said the phone is with everything else just a joy to use. It seems extremely stable and I don't get any odd errors or hiccup's. My S23 is amazingly fast and battery life and thermals are great but every so often I experience odd behavior that annoys me. Nothing that really get's in the way but the Pixel just seems to work without any glitches so far.

We are nearing the Pixel 8 series and I am wondering how many people who have a Pixel 7, 7 Pro or 7a are going to upgrade or are at least thinking about it? What would prevent you from upgrading and what might push you to do so?
OS updates before anyone else....and that does happen.
I don't sweat the security updates, I'll get them. Never fails, just may not be the first week of the month. Sometimes it's the last week of the month.

As for the Pixel 8, I'm thinking about it because I'm not enamored with my 7. I don't usually get the next one, I skip one or two. It's a good device but my 4a did some things better so maybe I'll wait a little to get the 8 this time.....though I do want to get a good trade in with my 7. If no good trade ins, I'll just keep it.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
OS updates before anyone else....and that does happen.
I don't sweat the security updates, I'll get them. Never fails, just may not be the first week of the month. Sometimes it's the last week of the month.
I sweat all updates. That is just me. OS updates you are right but it is not by as much a margin as it used to be. But that is a fair point and good distinction.

I do like getting the next version of Android first!

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Still no update in July for my unlocked Pixel 7?

Starting to get a little frustrated. It just feels like I have turned into Pavlov the dog and press the update button and watch it say no update available. I try a few more times and nothing.

It just seems so odd. When I got this phone I would get updates pretty fast?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Still no update in July for my unlocked Pixel 7?

Starting to get a little frustrated. It just feels like I have turned into Pavlov the dog and press the update button and watch it say no update available. I try a few more times and nothing.

It just seems so odd. When I got this phone I would get updates pretty fast?
I got mine a few days ago. It's nice getting updates but I cringe having to download and install it. This one was only 21 MB and it downloads quick enough but takes like 2 hours to install.
On this phone.all my updates are damn slow to complete.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I see. Any device has any hardware failure, that is it. I am done with that brand!

I guess I don't need a cellphone. 😂 Lol.

Every OEM of any electronic device has a failure rate. That is why we have warranties that last longer than a few months.

Considering that the Pixel 8 Pro has the potential to be the best Pixel phone to date and should still cost several hundred less than the competition maybe it would be the best choice to fight inflation.

There should be sales on the Pixel 7 Pro after the 8 comes out and if that makes it affordable for you it will still be a great phone. The iPhone 14 Pro Max might go on sale after the 15 comes out so that might be another option to consider?

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I was very happy with my 7a however I managed to get a brand new pixel 7 in snow for £350 locally! Not really much difference between the two other than colour and I prefer the glass back when being used without a case. But overall I still have zero regrets switching over from iPhone to Pixel.

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
I see. Any device has any hardware failure, that is it. I am done with that brand!

I guess I don't need a cellphone. 😂 Lol.

Every OEM of any electronic device has a failure rate. That is why we have warranties that last longer than a few months.

Considering that the Pixel 8 Pro has the potential to be the best Pixel phone to date and should still cost several hundred less than the competition maybe it would be the best choice to fight inflation.

There should be sales on the Pixel 7 Pro after the 8 comes out and if that makes it affordable for you it will still be a great phone. The iPhone 14 Pro Max might go on sale after the 15 comes out so that might be another option to consider?
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Apple usually discontinue the Pro Max range when the new models are announced and just discount the normal model, in this case the iPhone 14

So yes you may be able to get the 14 Pro Max when the 15 is announced but it won't be brand new and likely refurbished or off eBay

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Apple usually discontinue the Pro Max range when the new models are announced and just discount the normal model, in this case the iPhone 14

So yes you may be able to get the 14 Pro Max when the 15 is announced but it won't be brand new and likely refurbished or off eBay

Apple may not directly via them; but the likes of Amazon etc will...

I picked up a 13 Pro Max when the 14 PM was about to be released for just over £1k, that was for the 256GB version, brand new etc

So deals are there to be had

Reactions: unclejamaal

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
Apple may not directly via them; but the likes of Amazon etc will...

I picked up a 13 Pro Max when the 14 PM was about to be released for just over £1k, that was for the 256GB version, brand new etc

So deals are there to be had

Gives me hope then :)

Tried a p7 pro
Didn't get on with it
Currently have s23 ultra
In two minds and will probably sell on
And go back to my old 11 Pro Max until I can find a good deal on an iPhone 14 Pro Max - good deals are usually to be had off this eBay seller i found which just sell 14 day returns from Tesco Mobile

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Gives me hope then :)

Tried a p7 pro
Didn't get on with it
Currently have s23 ultra
In two minds and will probably sell on
And go back to my old 11 Pro Max until I can find a good deal on an iPhone 14 Pro Max - good deals are usually to be had off this eBay seller i found which just sell 14 day returns from Tesco Mobile

I've just moved from a 14PM back to the P7P and haven't had any issues at all; I'm at home with Android as I am Apple

Only really moved on my 14PM as I'd sold my AWU, wasn't using it, and didn't really need an iPhone and because I'm seriously tempetd with the Pixel Fold, it made sense

But I've even gone cool on that idea now; the P7P is a superb phone and spending nearly £1800 on the Fold currently, doesn't make sense and I'm wary of buyers remorse as you'll never get anywhere near that amount back if it's to be sold on!

The iPhone 15 PM (or whatever it's to be called) will more than likely be of more interested to me later on this year; so will see what's what then etc... Possibly the same with the Pixel 8 Pro

But for now, the P7P is staying; it's a very impressive phone IMO and some great deals can be had currently

Last edited:

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
I've just moved from a 14PM back to the P7P and haven't had any issues at all; I'm at hoke with Android as I am Apple

Only really moved on my 14PM as I'd sold my AWU, wasn't using it, and didn't really need an iPhone and because I'm seriously tempetd with the Pixel Fold, it made sense

But I've even gone cool on that idea now; the P7P is a superb phone and spending nearly £1800 on the Fold currently, doesn't make sense and I'm wary of buyers remorse as you'll never get anywhere near that amount back if it's to be sold on!

The iPhone 15 PM (or whatever it's to be called) will more than likely be of more interested to me later on this year; so will see what's what then etc... Possibly the same with the Pixel 8 Pro

But for now, the P7P is staying; it's a very impressive phone IMO and some great deals can be had currently

yes I got the P7P on the curry's trade in offer earlier in the year. I assume you're in the UK :) Sold it without making any loss as I just couldnt get on with some things, including how sensitive the screen is when scrolling down - just seems to select text even at the slightest tough which gets annoying if scrolling web pages.

Google Pay / NFC sensor was way too sensitive for my liking, and just 'pays' the second youre taking it out of your pocket.

Otherwise great phone. Best Android software.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
yes I got the P7P on the curry's trade in offer earlier in the year. I assume you're in the UK :) Sold it without making any loss as I just couldnt get on with some things, including how sensitive the screen is when scrolling down - just seems to select text even at the slightest tough which gets annoying if scrolling web pages.

Google Pay / NFC sensor was way too sensitive for my liking, and just 'pays' the second youre taking it out of your pocket.

Otherwise great phone. Best Android software.

Hmmm; never had those issues at all. I've a Whitestone Dome screen protector fitted; but that causes no issues and scrolling is absolutely fine, even with my fat hands! 😂

Google Pay is fine as well; I've one of my CCs as the default card and then if I need to select a different card; just go into Google Wallet. It's not as slick as Apple Pay; but works fine nonetheless

And agree; Vanilla Android is spot on; I cannot Stand the Samsung bloat and not keen on other android phones, OnePlus phones leave me cold and the Nothing Phone just looks like a bastard-child of iPhone and Android, not to mention the stupid lights etc 🤨

Making it more realistic; my BMW F31 is out of its extended warranty come Jan 2024; I'll be refreshing the suspension then (unless something drastic happens and I get it sorted via bMW warranty)... The price of the Google Fold is more than a set of decent KW V2/Street Comfort coilovers and even a set of Bird's properly spec'd suspension!

That's my priority currently haha ;)

Reactions: Tig Bitties

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
Hmmm; never had those issues at all. I've a Whitestone Dome screen protector fitted; but that causes no issues and scrolling is absolutely fine, even with my fat hands! 😂

Google Pay is fine as well; I've one of my CCs as the default card and then if I need to select a different card; just go into Google Wallet. It's not as slick as Apple Pay; but works fine nonetheless

And agree; Vanilla Android is spot on; I cannot Stand the Samsung bloat and not keen on other android phones, OnePlus phones leave me cold and the Nothing Phone just looks like a bastard-child of iPhone and Android, not to mention the stupid lights etc 🤨

Making it more realistic; my BMW F31 is out of its extended warranty come Jan 2024; I'll be refreshing the suspension then (unless something drastic happens and I get it sorted via bMW warranty)... The price of the Google Fold is more than a set of decent KW V2/Street Comfort coilovers and even a set of Bird's properly spec'd suspension!

That's my priority currently haha ;)

I had Whitestone on it too and also have fat fingers lol

But I found a very slight scrolling touch in fact selected the text which was annoying after a while

I guess I sold it in too much of a hurry !

Oh well

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I had Whitestone on it too and also have fat fingers lol

But I found a very slight scrolling touch in fact selected the text which was annoying after a while

I guess I sold it in too much of a hurry !

Oh well

Think you did pal unfortunately. Mines been faultless...

I only went for the 128GB version; I don't store a lot of my phones at all and TBH at the price I paid (brand new, sealed); it was well worth it, more so that I'd just banked £1550 selling my 14 PM and AWU!

Knowing me I'll still end up buying the Pixel Fold, can't help myself 😂 But that's all down to if/when the iPhone 15 gets released and its specs etc...

My P7P will join my Pixel 4XL in my office drawer as phones I don't need to, or want to sell etc

Reactions: unclejamaal

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
Think you did pal unfortunately. Mines been faultless...

I only went for the 128GB version; I don't store a lot of my phones at all and TBH at the price I paid (brand new, sealed); it was well worth it, more so that I'd just banked £1550 selling my 14 PM and AWU!

Knowing me I'll still end up buying the Pixel Fold, can't help myself 😂 But that's all down to if/when the iPhone 15 gets released and its specs etc...

My P7P will join my Pixel 4XL in my office drawer as phones I don't need to, or want to sell etc

I guess you’re right but meh. I got it for a bargain back in April due to great trade in and discount. I sold it for a slight profit

Went back to my 11pro max. Then last month got a s23 ultra 512gb on a horrendously good deal through Samsung and got free buds too - stood me to around £400 after all trade in and cash back combined

Still in two minds whether to keep the s23U but I do like the hardware better than the pixel. If I sell the s23U a new 14 or 15 pro max will stand me to well above £1000 , which I can’t quite justify, so May end up keeping the s23 U

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I guess you’re right but meh. I got it for a bargain back in April due to great trade in and discount. I sold it for a slight profit

Went back to my 11pro max. Then last month got a s23 ultra 512gb on a horrendously good deal through Samsung and got free buds too - stood me to around £400 after all trade in and cash back combined

Still in two minds whether to keep the s23U but I do like the hardware better than the pixel. If I sell the s23U a new 14 or 15 pro max will stand me to well above £1000 , which I can’t quite justify, so May end up keeping the s23 U

Yeah; see the S23U I didn't get on with at all. Even in a case I didn't like it in the hand and Samsung; just meh for me too... I loved the Note series; the Note 20 Ultra was the last, best Samsung IMO

Now; I'm not keen on them at all. Tried the Z Fold 3 for a week, hated that stupid front screen. Far too small for my shovel like hands...

That's what I love about the iPhones; the flat, wide screen. Reminiscent of the good ole' days of Google and the Nexus 6 & 6P ;)

But the Pixel 7 Pro is a great phone for me personally; A good size and a screen that's not stupidly curved like the Samsungs

I think that's why the Pixel Fold appeals to me a lot, that wide, front screen...

But then the iPhone 15, if it follows suit, should be spot on too...

Will have to see what happens in the next few months :)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Yeah; see the S23U I didn't get on with at all. Even in a case I didn't like it in the hand and Samsung; just meh for me too... I loved the Note series; the Note 20 Ultra was the last, best Samsung IMO

Now; I'm not keen on them at all. Tried the Z Fold 3 for a week, hated that stupid front screen. Far too small for my shovel like hands...

That's what I love about the iPhones; the flat, wide screen. Reminiscent of the good ole' days of Google and the Nexus 6 & 6P ;)

But the Pixel 7 Pro is a great phone for me personally; A good size and a screen that's not stupidly curved like the Samsungs

I think that's why the Pixel Fold appeals to me a lot, that wide, front screen...

But then the iPhone 15, if it follows suit, should be spot on too...

Will have to see what happens in the next few months :)

Nothing Phone 2 has a FLAT screen, and almsot mimics the shape and design of a current iPhone. Nothing Phone 2 looks like an iPhone Pro Max running stock Android.

I have been on a Pixel 7 Pro since launch, and I love stock Android, but the hardware in the P7P seems a bit underwhelming, with mediocre battery life, a poor modem, and a screen that doesn't get as bright as the competition, and still not a fan of the curved screen. Would love a truly FLAT screened Pixel. Is the Pixel 8 Pro guaranteed to have a flat display just like current iPhone's or is it one of those 2.5 edge slight curved screens that look almost flat, but isn't?

I have toyed with the idea of getting the S23 Ultra, but haven't owned a Samsung phone since the S8 days and that was lag fest phone, I know newer Samsung phones are supposed to be night and day leaps forward better now, but I'm still shy of Samsung's UI and duplicate apps and bloatware, etc...

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
Nothing Phone 2 has a FLAT screen, and almsot mimics the shape and design of a current iPhone. Nothing Phone 2 looks like an iPhone Pro Max running stock Android.

I have been on a Pixel 7 Pro since launch, and I love stock Android, but the hardware in the P7P seems a bit underwhelming, with mediocre battery life, a poor modem, and a screen that doesn't get as bright as the competition, and still not a fan of the curved screen. Would love a truly FLAT screened Pixel. Is the Pixel 8 Pro guaranteed to have a flat display just like current iPhone's or is it one of those 2.5 edge slight curved screens that look almost flat, but isn't?

I have toyed with the idea of getting the S23 Ultra, but haven't owned a Samsung phone since the S8 days and that was lag fest phone, I know newer Samsung phones are supposed to be night and day leaps forward better now, but I'm still shy of Samsung's UI and duplicate apps and bloatware, etc...

Tiggy,
As I and others said over on the s23 thread, there’s no lag on the s23U whatsoever, and trust me I’m really picky over these things 😂 one of the small nitpicks I had about the P7Pro was that the scroll speed , although smooth and not laggy, wasn’t as fast as on Samsungs 😂

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK

Yeah; I've already slated the Nothing Phone 😂 It's not and never will be for me...

No ideas re the Pixel 8; but that would be superb!

For me, a Nexus 6 style phone, 6.5" tall and wide, running Vanilla Android would be perfect...

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Yeah; I've already slated the Nothing Phone 😂 It's not and never will be for me...

No ideas re the Pixel 8; but that would be superb!

For me, a Nexus 6 style phone, 6.5" tall and wide, running Vanilla Android would be perfect...
Pixel 8 will be 6.3" down from the 6.4" from this year. It is pretty close to 6.5"?

Nothing phone is a non starter for me too. I wish Carl good luck.

If he really concentrates on software as it looks like he is already doing, tones down the lights and delivers better specs at a competitive price and commits to 4 or more years of software updates then it is possible that I might just get nothing at some point.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If he really concentrates on software as it looks like he is already doing, tones down the lights and delivers better specs at a competitive price and commits to 4 or more years of software updates then it is possible that I might just get nothing at some point.
Tone down the lights? If Nothing 2 is any indication.. he’s not going to do that. I’m of the belief if you don’t care for the lights.. then the Nothing 2 won’t appeal to you at all. And that’s okay, but I think it’s the main draw!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.