Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
So you can pre order the Google Pixel Tablet.

Starts at $499 and comes with a speaker dock with wireless charging. Quad speakers on the tablet. Google Tensor G2, 8gb ddr5 ram and ufs 3.1 storage starting at 128gb. 11" LCD screen only 60hz refresh rate. 27watt hour battery.

Seems like a nice tablet. However I kinda wish they would have included a pen and 120 hz refresh rate like Samsung for the price.

So what do you think? Would anyone be in the market for one. What do you think of the price?

The tablet can also double as a sort of nest device and home speaker.

You get 5 years of updates.

It has file share features like Samsung devices that share easily with other Google devices. So if you have a Pixel phone this will share easily with each other.

I have a Pixel 7 Pro and I am interested in this but with the Tensor G2, lack of included pen, and lack of 120hz refresh rate I just don't know. I am sure as a Tablet it will perform well. In fact the G2 should have better thermal performance in a larger format and a larger battery may also help.

Compared to a Samsung Galaxy tab S8 it is pretty much the same. Except the retail price is $300 less. It is also priced very close to the iPad air. But the air has M1 chip. For the cost I think it is a good option but I wish they would have priced the tab at $399 and had the speaker as a $100 option. I don't think it can compete well with the iPad air and the tab S8. If it were $399 then it would be competitive but for $499 I would rather get a gently used tab S8 or a new iPad air on sale?

At $399 I think these would fly out the door but at $499 it is a little high, although still competitive.

For me I am strongly tempted but I am more tempted by the upcoming Pixel 8 series phones. I have a Samsung Galaxy tab S8 and it is a great tablet. The Snapdragon 8 gen 1 is still a slightly better chip than the Tensor G2 but I think Google negates that advantage with better optimization. Also I wonder if Google will update the tablet on the same frequency as the phone? One of the things I don't like about Samsung tablets is the slower update cycle.

I could sell my S8 for almost the same price as the Pixel Tablet so I wouldn't lose money but Samsung offers decent trade in deals on their devices and a new tab s9 with a much better Snapdragon 8 gen 2 is going to be released soon according to rumors. I would probably have to spend a little more to get it but it also comes with the spen.

What to do? If Google would have put a Tensor G3 I would not have any qualms and would buy it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer and AJB1971

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I purchased a Pixel 6a a few months ago and was so impressed with the user experience that I considered getting a Pixel Tablet. In the end, I got a used iPad Pro, but I’m still interested to see what it’s like.

My thoughts on the Pixel Tablet are -

The price in the UK is £599 - for comparison the iPad 10th gen. starts at £499 and the 5th gen. Air starts at £669. I’d have preferred it to have been lower, around £499.

Google has been aggressive in pursuing market share in the smartphone space and I expect them to do the same with tablets. I think we will see some good discounts/incentives in a few months which will address this concern, but I would have liked to have seen them do it from the outset. The danger in not doing this is what we saw with the Pixel 6a which received fair reviews at its launch price but would have received much better ones had it been priced lower. Pricing is crucial.

I would’ve probably bought a version without the dock if it was available for less money. Having said that, after seeing it in action, I think I’ve changed my mind.

Base storage of 128GB is much better than the 64GB Apple offers for the above-mentioned models.

It’s a shame it doesn’t come with a 90hz or 120hz screen.

App optimisation was the main reason I got an iPad, but it’s good to hear that Google has spent time optimising first-party apps - it was first announced nearly a year ago so they’ve had plenty of time. There’s still a question mark over third-party Android tablet apps.

The five years of updates are just security updates. I assume it's still going to be three years for OS updates and think Google should be increasing that by now -
‘Pixel security updates for at least five years from when the device first became available on Google Store in the US. Updates may also include Feature Drops and other software updates.’

I see it supports USI 2.0 stylus pens, which appears to be a new protocol. Maybe Google will launch their own stylus -
https://chromeunboxed.com/penoval-unveils-its-usi-2-0-stylus-for-chromebooks/

I’m hopeful that Google has learnt from their past mistakes in the tablet market, but it will take some time. Apple are getting complacent and competition is needed.

By the way, MKBHD mentioned a Google exclusive coming up.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I purchased a Pixel 6a a few months ago and was so impressed with the user experience that I considered getting a Pixel Tablet. In the end, I got a used iPad Pro, but I’m still interested to see what it’s like.

My thoughts on the Pixel Tablet are -

The price in the UK is £599 - for comparison the iPad 10th gen. starts at £499 and the 5th gen. Air starts at £669. I’d have preferred it to have been lower, around £499.

Google has been aggressive in pursuing market share in the smartphone space and I expect them to do the same with tablets. I think we will see some good discounts/incentives in a few months which will address this concern, but I would have liked to have seen them do it from the outset. The danger in not doing this is what we saw with the Pixel 6a which received fair reviews at its launch price but would have received much better ones had it been priced lower. Pricing is crucial.

I would’ve probably bought a version without the dock if it was available for less money. Having said that, after seeing it in action, I think I’ve changed my mind.

Base storage of 128GB is much better than the 64GB Apple offers for the above-mentioned models.

It’s a shame it doesn’t come with a 90hz or 120hz screen.

App optimisation was the main reason I got an iPad, but it’s good to hear that Google has spent time optimising first-party apps - it was first announced nearly a year ago so they’ve had plenty of time. There’s still a question mark over third-party Android tablet apps.

The five years of updates are just security updates. I assume it's still going to be three years for OS updates and think Google should be increasing that by now -
‘Pixel security updates for at least five years from when the device first became available on Google Store in the US. Updates may also include Feature Drops and other software updates.’

I see it supports USI 2.0 stylus pens, which appears to be a new protocol. Maybe Google will launch their own stylus -
https://chromeunboxed.com/penoval-unveils-its-usi-2-0-stylus-for-chromebooks/

I’m hopeful that Google has learnt from their past mistakes in the tablet market, but it will take some time. Apple are getting complacent and competition is needed.

By the way, MKBHD mentioned a Google exclusive coming up.

I agree with everything you said and feel the same way. The pricing is critical and it is too high out of the gate and there are no incentives for pre order.

The lack of higher refresh rate screen is a pretty big deal. It seems like Google is pitching this as more of a tablet/nest hybrid which I don't think is a very good idea.

I agree they should have made the dock optional.

A new iPad air might be released this year or early next year and it will most likely have an M2 chip. Even the current air with same 60hz screen and M1 chip is vastly more powerful than the Tensor G2. Samsung also aggressively discounts their tablets and I suspect that soon you will find sales on the tab S8 close to the $499 mark with a new tab s9 coming out soon with Snapdragon 8 gen 2. The tab S8 has that 120hz display and great battery life and Google is claiming 12 hours with their tablet which is probably closer to 6 hours of SOT unless gaming which might be closer to 3.

So I think as you suggested in your post that Google may have shot themselves in the foot on price.

Google doesn't have a good enough track record of sticking with products to give people confidence in buying a gen one product either since they just discontinue stuff out of the blue or if it doesn't sell well for them.

I think in the Android space most users would love a decent alternative to Samsung. Personally I think Google should have released two tablets. One more for the budget conscious and one super premium to compete with tab S8 and iPad Pro. They should have released the cheaper one first, and released their pro version along the Pixel 8 with the new tensor G3 chip, 120hz OLED screen, included pen, no speaker, premium aluminum chassis. Price the cheaper device at $349-$399 with optional speaker for $100 and the Pro at $599 starting with 256gb ufs 4.0 storage and 12gb ram. Both devices would fly off the shelf but the current release is kind of a head scratcher. It doesn't really fit in the budget category or premium category and is priced too high.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
When looking for a used iPad, it was noticeable how many people said they were selling because they no longer used the device. This is something I’ve experienced myself in recent years. I think that’s why Google chose to combine a tablet with a Nest device, effectively giving it a dual purpose, and there is a market for it.

In their initial announcement of the device, they mentioned that most tablets tend to not leave the home, and that is how I use my tablet. However, I believe it's a mistake to not cater to those people who do want to carry the device around with them. Looking at the accessories available at launch, there’s no case that offers a screen cover or the option of a keyboard. It’s as if Google has focused on one way people use tablets but omitted other ways.

There has been mention of a Pixel Tablet Pro in some data logs, but I believe this was supposed to be a reference to Google’s decision to use the Tensor G2 processor whereas the original development model was supposed to use the G1.

I can see there being a Pro model with a better, high-refresh screen, and a faster processor. Maybe that will be aimed at those who want to take the device around with them and use it more for productivity purposes rather than content consumption. That could include a stylus and accessories such as keyboard cases, etc. Hopefully, that’s what MKBHD was referring to.

Going back to pricing, from my perspective, Android tablets have to offer significantly better value for money than iPads. The main reason for that is because Apple offers longer support, but there are other factors such as the better app ecosystem. Having said that, more balanced specs are also a consideration - the base 5th generation Air having an M1 SoC and only 64GB of storage is an anomaly.

I do think that Google moving back into the tablet market is going to be good for Android tablets in general. A lack of tablet-optimised apps was one of my main concerns when looking for a new device and this should help address that, but it will take time.

Like you, I have concerns about Google’s commitment based on what has happened in the past. I hope they view this as the first step of many.

I would wait to see what happens but I’m becoming more convinced that we will see a Pixel Tablet Pro.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
As far as tablets go I have an ipad Mini 5 I don't use as often as I should and a Amazon Firesomething. I watch movies on it when pwm bothers me too much on my phones. I like the Amazon tablet and that's it.

I used to use tablets all the time. I kind of got away from it.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Well, I'm considering it. Already, I have the Samsung tab s7 plus and the Apple ipad air 4. Both are excellent tablets. Obviously, I don't need another tablet but the dock intrigues me. We'll see...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well, I'm considering it. Already, I have the Samsung tab s7 plus and the Apple ipad air 4. Both are excellent tablets. Obviously, I don't need another tablet but the dock intrigues me. We'll see...
Yeah I didn’t see the dock when I made my post. (I never saw the presentation). I got an email from Google to check it out. The dock makes a difference for sure. At least to me.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I love the direction they are going in with this. The dock is cool and I could see myself having docks around the house to place the tablet on. However. I have a Nest in my kitchen and I got a free Nest Hub Max once a few years back which I set up... Then never used.

So for me, it would be a pointless buy. I also don't love Android tablets, but hoping with Google entering the market things may start to improve from an app perspective.

I think they nailed the price.

Reactions: tbayrgs and 5105973

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I love the direction they are going in with this. The dock is cool and I could see myself having docks around the house to place the tablet on. However. I have a Nest in my kitchen and I got a free Nest Hub Max once a few years back which I set up... Then never used.

So for me, it would be a pointless buy. I also don't love Android tablets, but hoping with Google entering the market things may start to improve from an app perspective.

I think they nailed the price.

Maybe I am honestly missing something? What apps on Android tablets that you have on iPad don't work for you?

I have an iPad and a Samsung tab s8 and every single app on both that are third party are practically identical. There are no apps I have found beyond Procreate that are on iPad that aren't on Android?

App scaling is an issue on a very small percentage of oddball apps but almost every major app is pretty much identical?

I have heard this supposed issue with Android tablets that I just haven't experienced myself. Maybe the Android apps may not be as polished but again they mostly look the same to me in everyday use?

I still think the price is too high and the dock should have been optional. But as a hybrid device I can see how it would be a huge benefit to a lot of people. I just don't have anything modern enough in my home to be networked.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Kind of thinking about this one. Can get this and upgrade the phone (possibly twice) for the cost of the pixel fold. Maybe the tablet for my pixel fix and update my main line (3a... 😳) To a Sammy for something different. Still pondering options. Probably won't pre-order however.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I think the pricing in the US is pretty decent. $499 for an Android tablet with 128GB storage, 5 years security updates, fingerprint reader, and stylus support is reasonable. I believe the only other current gen Android tablet with this combination of features is Galaxy Tab S8, which has a significantly higher starting price. I would prefer there to be an option to purchase without the dock, but even with that said, this is certainly a device I would be strongly considering if I was US-based and hadn't bought a Tab S8 a few months ago.

They are however gouging European customers for some reason. Even after removing VAT from European list prices, the Pixel tablet is around $110-$125 more expensive in Europe than the US. I think this gap is too big to attribute to hedging against future currency movements, or to any differences between US and Europe in import fees. It's really frustrating and they don't put this big a markup on phones sold in Europe so not sure why they are doing it for this tablet.

So I won't be getting one but I do really hope it sells well so that more Android device makers are encouraged to release tablets in the $350-$500 price bracket with the combination of fingerprint sensor, stylus support, and decent duration of software/security updates.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I have an iPad and a Samsung tab s8 and every single app on both that are third party are practically identical. There are no apps I have found beyond Procreate that are on iPad that aren't on Android?

App scaling is an issue on a very small percentage of oddball apps but almost every major app is pretty much identical?

I have heard this supposed issue with Android tablets that I just haven't experienced myself. Maybe the Android apps may not be as polished but again they mostly look the same to me in everyday use?

Generally speaking I also notice no difference between iPad and Android apps for the apps I use (mainstream consumption, communication, and office productivity apps).

I can only think of a handful of apps that I use where I have noticed differences.
- Reddit doesn't have support for landscape orientation.
- Twitter does work in landscape, but its simply a horizontally stretched version of portrait mode.
- BBC iPlayer (which is mainstream in the UK) lacks some useful features of the iPad version such as ability to view TV schedule in grid format.

However, this is a very small list of non-critical limitations, so it doesn't bother me.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Maybe I am honestly missing something? What apps on Android tablets that you have on iPad don't work for you?

I still think the price is too high and the dock should have been optional. But as a hybrid device I can see how it would be a huge benefit to a lot of people. I just don't have anything modern enough in my home to be networked.

It was certainly a concern for Google at last year’s I/O event -
https://www.engadget.com/google-io-2022-android-tablet-app-updates-183220126.html
https://www.wired.com/story/google-android-12l-13-tablets-google-io-2022/

They recently announced that 50 apps have been upgraded for larger screens and they’ve also been working with other app providers so progress is being made -
https://blog.google/products/android/android-app-redesign-tablet-foldable/

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
For 499 way better buy than ipad. Knowing Google the screen will be beautiful.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Honestly I can't do anything below 90 anymore. Even though I prefer 120. 60 is a deal breaker for me.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
So you can pre order the Google Pixel Tablet.

Starts at $499 and comes with a speaker dock with wireless charging. Quad speakers on the tablet. Google Tensor G2, 8gb ddr5 ram and ufs 3.1 storage starting at 128gb. 11" LCD screen only 60hz refresh rate. 27watt hour battery.

Seems like a nice tablet. However I kinda wish they would have included a pen and 120 hz refresh rate like Samsung for the price.

So what do you think? Would anyone be in the market for one. What do you think of the price?

The tablet can also double as a sort of nest device and home speaker.

You get 5 years of updates.

It has file share features like Samsung devices that share easily with other Google devices. So if you have a Pixel phone this will share easily with each other.

I have a Pixel 7 Pro and I am interested in this but with the Tensor G2, lack of included pen, and lack of 120hz refresh rate I just don't know. I am sure as a Tablet it will perform well. In fact the G2 should have better thermal performance in a larger format and a larger battery may also help.

Compared to a Samsung Galaxy tab S8 it is pretty much the same. Except the retail price is $300 less. It is also priced very close to the iPad air. But the air has M1 chip. For the cost I think it is a good option but I wish they would have priced the tab at $399 and had the speaker as a $100 option. I don't think it can compete well with the iPad air and the tab S8. If it were $399 then it would be competitive but for $499 I would rather get a gently used tab S8 or a new iPad air on sale?

At $399 I think these would fly out the door but at $499 it is a little high, although still competitive.

For me I am strongly tempted but I am more tempted by the upcoming Pixel 8 series phones. I have a Samsung Galaxy tab S8 and it is a great tablet. The Snapdragon 8 gen 1 is still a slightly better chip than the Tensor G2 but I think Google negates that advantage with better optimization. Also I wonder if Google will update the tablet on the same frequency as the phone? One of the things I don't like about Samsung tablets is the slower update cycle.

I could sell my S8 for almost the same price as the Pixel Tablet so I wouldn't lose money but Samsung offers decent trade in deals on their devices and a new tab s9 with a much better Snapdragon 8 gen 2 is going to be released soon according to rumors. I would probably have to spend a little more to get it but it also comes with the spen.

What to do? If Google would have put a Tensor G3 I would not have any qualms and would buy it in a heartbeat.
I'm not impressed with this Google Tablet. Not the hardware specs nor the price. It is nothing more than a Google Nest Hub replacement. It is clear to me that Google is NOT serious about re-re-entering the tablet space but they want to pay lip-service to their previous statement that they are.

Why? Three reasons...
  1. Speaker dock is included. There is no SKU that contains the tablet only. Google wants users to use the base.
  2. Optional case. This case has some goofy chrome ring as a kickstand with no way to protect the screen. This is designed to use in the house and NOT taken out into the wild.
  3. Lack of first party folio cases and keyboard options. Google is notorious for NOT producing accessories after a launch date. Whatever they have available at launch is all that there'll be. That might change for this, but at this moment in time, Google is not expecting people to take this thing outside the house or to use it for productivity.
Bonus: lack of support for an active stylus.

With a little bit of shopping around, I could find a new Samsung Galaxy S series tablet that is better for the same price.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Everything looks pretty subpar except for the amazing 8GB or ram... I wish I didn't have to pay $800 for that.

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
I'm not impressed with this Google Tablet. Not the hardware specs nor the price. It is nothing more than a Google Nest Hub replacement. It is clear to me that Google is NOT serious about re-re-entering the tablet space but they want to pay lip-service to their previous statement that they are.

Why? Three reasons...
  1. Speaker dock is included. There is no SKU that contains the tablet only. Google wants users to use the base.
  2. Optional case. This case has some goofy chrome ring as a kickstand with no way to protect the screen. This is designed to use in the house and NOT taken out into the wild.
  3. Lack of first party folio cases and keyboard options. Google is notorious for NOT producing accessories after a launch date. Whatever they have available at launch is all that there'll be. That might change for this, but at this moment in time, Google is not expecting people to take this thing outside the house or to use it for productivity.

With a little bit of shopping around, I could find a new Samsung Galaxy S series tablet that is better for the same price.
I agree with all your points. It’s obvious Google wants this to be a hub-like device that is occasionally used as a tablet instead of a tablet that can also be used as a hub-like device.

I disagree with the overall strategy. I think you’re better off buying the $329 iPad and a $100 Nest Hub and you get a better tablet and nearly as good hub device, for less. I would have preferred a $400-450 tablet with keyboard and then offer the speaker dock for $100-130 as an accessory.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I agree with all your points. It’s obvious Google wants this to be a hub-like device that is occasionally used as a tablet instead of a tablet that can also be used as a hub-like device.

I disagree with the overall strategy. I think you’re better off buying the $329 iPad and a $100 Nest Hub and you get a better tablet and nearly as good hub device, for less. I would have preferred a $400-450 tablet with keyboard and then offer the speaker dock for $100-130 as an accessory.

Why? Three reasons...

I think you both are right.

As a tablet though I do think it is fine as a standalone but it is meant for casual use.

I think it would have been better for Google to have put a completely different strategy as you both hit on. And that is a more pro level device.

In my opinion Google should have gone all out with 120hz OLED screen, Tensor G3, 12gb ram, and a stylus included. Have the dock as an additional accessory.

They could have priced it at $699 just like Samsung S8 or undercut it at $649 or$599 and it might even be faster with more ram and newer Tensor G3 than the tab S8.

If they would have done that then it would have sold like gangbusters. You would have essentially the best 11" tablet on the market.

On the other side of it they could have produced this tablet as a standalone but also have a cheaper dock that was optional and charge $399.

As it stands now they have produced a sort of hybrid product that doesn't really excel at being a nest hub or a tablet.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
As a longtime Apple fan and user of some version of an iPad Pro as my primary daily computing device for the better part of at least 5-6 years, I can’t believe I’m going to be the one to defend a Google tablet.

I think Google did nearly exactly what they should. Android tablets are, let’s be honest, a failed category to this point. There’s no way they were going to attract a measurable number of customers (and they still may not) for anything beyond a lower priced, general use tablet. A ‘Pro’ tablet would’ve been an immediate failure. Google’s done the high end before (Chromebook Pixel, Pixelbook, Pixel Slate) and while they were solid pieces of hardware, there’s a reason why there is no longer a version for sale. Only ‘successful’ Google tablet was the Nexus 7 and it was a budget model.

They need to hope to pull customer’s away from the base model iPads, iPads most of those customers are using for daily consumption of media, games, web browsing, checking email. None of those customers care about a stylus or attaching it to a keyboard. And to be fair, you don’t need a robust, expansive Android tablet app ecosystem beyond what already exists to succeed here as the usual suspects (Netflix, YouTube, Gmail, Chrome) are just fine right now.

On paper, this is generally on par or even better than the corresponding entry level iPads (9th or 10th gen), at a better price with a useful base accessory. This meant to be used exactly as Google is marketing it—for the family to use around the house.

This tablet isn’t for most of the members posting in this thread/forum—it’s for our less techie family and friends. This is a great option for a household with kids, a far less expensive solution than having to get multiple iPads since Apple doesn’t let you set up multiple user profiles on a single device.

I’m not getting one because it’s not for me. If this was ten years ago when my kids were 9, 8, and 5 years old, yeah, I very well might have.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.