Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
As a longtime Apple fan and user of some version of an iPad Pro as my primary daily computing device for the better part of at least 5-6 years, I can’t believe I’m going to be the one to defend a Google tablet.

I think Google did nearly exactly what they should. Android tablets are, let’s be honest, a failed category to this point. There’s no way they were going to attract a measurable number of customers (and they still may not) for anything beyond a lower priced, general use tablet. A ‘Pro’ tablet would’ve been an immediate failure. Google’s done the high end before (Chromebook Pixel, Pixelbook, Pixel Slate) and while they were solid pieces of hardware, there’s a reason why there is no longer a version for sale. Only ‘successful’ Google tablet was the Nexus 7 and it was a budget model.

They need to hope to pull customer’s away from the base model iPads, iPads most of those customers are using for daily consumption of media, games, web browsing, checking email. None of those customers care about a stylus or attaching it to a keyboard. And to be fair, you don’t need a robust, expansive Android tablet app ecosystem beyond what already exists to succeed here as the usual suspects (Netflix, YouTube, Gmail, Chrome) are just fine right now.

On paper, this is generally on par or even better than the corresponding entry level iPads (9th or 10th gen), at a better price with a useful base accessory. This meant to be used exactly as Google is marketing it—for the family to use around the house.

This tablet isn’t for most of the members posting in this thread/forum—it’s for our less techie family and friends. This is a great option for a household with kids, a far less expensive solution than having to get multiple iPads since Apple doesn’t let you set up multiple user profiles on a single device.

I’m not getting one because it’s not for me. If this was ten years ago when my kids were 9, 8, and 5 years old, yeah, I very well might have.

While I agree with your premise the Pixel Tablet is really not priced at a budget price.

Sure when comparing to the base iPad it is nicer that is not a very high bar. Specially when you can get an iPad air 5th gen for $499 on sale.

Google of they wanted to reach the "Nexus" or budget market should have priced between $349-$399. Then I would agree it is a better value but priced the same as the air even with double the storage the air is a much better tablet.

So my point is Google didn't hit the high end and didn't hit the budget market which is going to hurt them. Also, generally speaking not a lot of budget buyers have a lot of smart home devices.

I think it would have been better to offer a cheaper stand alone tablet and a more expensive Pro version later in the year. They would have hit both markets and been able to determine based on sales which is more popular and focus more on whichever market that was.

The way they have done things I just don't think will be a success.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
While I agree with your premise the Pixel Tablet is really not priced at a budget price.

Sure when comparing to the base iPad it is nicer that is not a very high bar. Specially when you can get an iPad air 5th gen for $499 on sale.

Google of they wanted to reach the "Nexus" or budget market should have priced between $349-$399. Then I would agree it is a better value but priced the same as the air even with double the storage the air is a much better tablet.

So my point is Google didn't hit the high end and didn't hit the budget market which is going to hurt them. Also, generally speaking not a lot of budget buyers have a lot of smart home devices.

I think it would have been better to offer a cheaper stand alone tablet and a more expensive Pro version later in the year. They would have hit both markets and been able to determine based on sales which is more popular and focus more on whichever market that was.

Yeah, you’re right on cost—would’ve been more impactful at $399 as a set and then maybe $299 as a stand alone tablet.

Reactions: Technerd108

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010

I typed out the exact same message but you posted before I did.

I want a tablet that I can take on the go (for work, travel, to the coffee shop, etc.). As a Pixel 7 Pro and Pixelbook Go user I really wanted the Pixel tablet to be that final device. However, at $500 I don't understand what Google is doing here. If you want a good entry-level tablet then you get the $329 iPad. If you want a higher end productivity device you can get an older generation iPad air for nearly the same cost as the Pixel Tablet.

Google needed to take a big swing in order to just steal a tiny portion of the market. It feels like they took a small swing and still whiffed.

Reactions: Technerd108

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I can see the logic-$129 for the dock itself so $370 for what the tablet can do isn’t so bad. I’ve wanted Apple to make a dock similar for an eternity.

My 2018 iPad Pro is way over the top for my tablet consumption these days so a dock in the kitchen for example for me just to dump the tablet on while I’m in there is the dream.

But over here in the UK it’s an extra £100 and that for me is an unacceptable increase so I’ll wait it out for its eventual sale.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I can see the logic-$129 for the dock itself so $370 for what the tablet can do isn’t so bad. I’ve wanted Apple to make a dock similar for an eternity.

My 2018 iPad Pro is way over the top for my tablet consumption these days so a dock in the kitchen for example for me just to dump the tablet on while I’m in there is the dream.

But over here in the UK it’s an extra £100 and that for me is an unacceptable increase so I’ll wait it out for its eventual sale.
Yeah £599 too much really for what you get

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I am waiting for this November or whenever they put the tablet on sale. If they offer it for around $399 then I may bite the bullet. I am really not sure though. I have a Galaxy S8 11" and it is a solid device. I would sell it to pay for the Google tablet but I don't really see any advantage to doing so.

There are a couple things that I am debating. Would updates be faster? Will the Pixel tablet get feature drops like the phone?

Samsung will support the same amount of OS upgrades and I think one year less of security updates since the s8 came out last year. But the frequency of updates on the tablet kind of sucks. It is quarterly which it really shouldn't be on a high end Android tablet.

I have a Pixel phone and may get a 2nd gen Pixel watch (maybe). So it would be nice for everything to integrate together.

However the support for Windows really isn't there. I am not buying a Chromebook because they are over priced and limited in functionality. I get better value with Windows laptops. Samsung integration with Windows is really good.

Other than the novelty of having a Pixel UI which I really do like, possible feature drops and better update support (maybe) there really isn't a good argument to get it. If Samsung releases an S9 I can probably trade in my s8 and pay about the same as the Pixel tablet and the S9 is rumored to have an OLED screen this year and Snapdragon for Galaxy 8 gen 2.

I really wish Google would have offered a higher end device with the upcoming Tensor G3.

The Samsung Galaxy S8 also has a great display regardless if it is tft LCD and great speakers. I have heard the speakers on the Pixel tablet itself are just okay.

And finally I have no use at all for Google nest functionality and using the dock would be completely opposite of how I use my tablet.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Didn't think I'd ever be interested in an Amazon tablet, but I'm finding myself more interested in seeing the reviews for the the Amazon Fire Max 11 than the Pixel Tablet...

With starting prices of $229 its by far the cheapest Android-based device with Fingerprint sensor and long software support. Also has optional keyboard and stylus available. Seems an interesting option for anyone who wants a tablet for mainly consumption needs + occasional light productivity. Plus no ludicrous markup for European customers (at least based on UK pricing where the starting price before tax (£208) is only about $30 more than the US).

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Didn't think I'd ever be interested in an Amazon tablet, but I'm finding myself more interested in seeing the reviews for the the Amazon Fire Max 11 than the Pixel Tablet...

With starting prices of $229 its by far the cheapest Android-based device with Fingerprint sensor and long software support. Also has optional keyboard and stylus available. Seems an interesting option for anyone who wants a tablet for mainly consumption needs + occasional light productivity. Plus no ludicrous markup for European customers (at least based on UK pricing where the starting price before tax (£208) is only about $30 more than the US).

Well upon closer inspection without ads it is $244. With the bundle and no ads it is $344.

It has a MediaTek processor with two a78 cores and 6 a55 cores and who knows what process, 12nm, 8nm? Anyone's guess. I don't see how many speakers, two or four who knows. No Play store support instead Amazon app store. Plus only 4gb ram again who knows what type, and only 64gb storage which isn't terrible but not great either.

If all you are going to do is stream, buy stuff and play non demanding games it is pretty nice. For kids it would be great.

I think the Pixel Tablet is much better and if the Pixel Tablet goes on sale it would make it an even better deal. Plus you get double the storage, double the ram and the Tensor G2 is a lot better than whatever this MediaTek processor is. I think the Pixel tablet is worth the extra cost. Of course in Europe if I lived there I would not want to pay the MSRP and would wait for discounts.

I think Amazon hit a good price point though. It is also supported with updates for a minimum of 4 years.

All in all for an inexpensive Tablet you could do a lot worse but you also have Samsung Galaxy tab s6 lite that goes on sale around $250 and has 5 years total updates, and isn't locked to Amazon app store. It also has a better processor and a much nicer build but a smaller screen. And it has a stylus included.

It is good to see Amazon produce a nicer tablet but I don't see myself ever buying one.

Personally I would either get the Pixel tablet or a Samsung tablet.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Why doesn’t the dock act as a normal google home speaker when the tablet is disconnected? That seems like such an obvious thing to do. Instead, it’s just this out of place thing that sits there and does nothing will the tablet isn’t docked.

Agree with those saying Google missed the mark here. Not budget enough to compete with the base iPad and not quality enough to compete with better devices so it’s stuck in this weird middle ground.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
It has a MediaTek processor with two a78 cores and 6 a55 cores and who knows what process, 12nm, 8nm? Anyone's guess. I don't see how many speakers, two or four who knows. No Play store support instead Amazon app store. Plus only 4gb ram again who knows what type, and only 64gb storage which isn't terrible but not great either.

If all you are going to do is stream, buy stuff and play non demanding games it is pretty nice. For kids it would be great.
This is where the reviews will be interesting, but I suspect it will also be fine for light productivity - by that I mean email, word processing, note taking, annotating documents. None of that is computationally demanding. I expect it would struggle with multi-tasking but many don't need multi-tasking when doing light productivity.

I think Amazon hit a good price point though. It is also supported with updates for a minimum of 4 years.
An important detail when it comes to Amazon's support commitment is the commitment is from when Amazon stops selling a device. This is different to most other Android OEMs (including Samsung and Google) whose commitment is from when the device first goes on sale.

All in all for an inexpensive Tablet you could do a lot worse but you also have Samsung Galaxy tab s6 lite that goes on sale around $250 and has 5 years total updates, and isn't locked to Amazon app store. It also has a better processor and a much nicer build but a smaller screen. And it has a stylus included.
Tab S6 Lite is a nice option for some. But lack of fingerprint sensor is a dealbreaker for me. I hope this Amazon tablet compels Samsung and other Android OEMs to start putting fingerprint sensors on cheap/midrange tablets.

Last edited:

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
Why doesn’t the dock act as a normal google home speaker when the tablet is disconnected? That seems like such an obvious thing to do. Instead, it’s just this out of place thing that sits there and does nothing will the tablet isn’t docked.

Agree with those saying Google missed the mark here. Not budget enough to compete with the base iPad and not quality enough to compete with better devices so it’s stuck in this weird middle ground.
I totally get what you’re saying but I guess they are thinking that you’ll never use the dock like that. Like why would you need to cast to it if you can just put it on the dock to use? And then when you’ve undocked it you’re using the tablet speakers at that point.

I think I read somewhere that it could be something that gets enabled which you could then argue why don’t they just do it from the get go, but again I understand why they haven’t. Also Google be Google lol.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So just watched MKBHD’s brief review of the OnePlus Pad. Unless you must have the speaker dock arrangement or hate the color green, not sure one would choose the Pixel tablet over OnePlus’ variant. If I felt the need to have a non-Apple tablet, I’d choose the OnePlus Pad without a doubt.

Reactions: nfl46 and Ludatyk

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
One plus tablet seems impressive for the price. Seems best android tablet option outside of tab ultra

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
* Faster OS updates
* Additional year of security updates
* Fingerprint sensor
I agree with this and this would be a big reason not to get a OnePlus. Although I bet the hardware is better on the OnePlus.

I also just have a problem with OnePlus ever since the main guy who made OnePlus successful left. Now I am waiting for a nothing tablet. Lol

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
* Faster OS updates
* Additional year of security updates
* Fingerprint sensor
Ok, fair points though the FP sensor would be the only one that I think is a significant advantage.

I’d personally rather have the Smart Connector/keyboard option, aspect ratio and variable refresh rate of the OP but understand preferring the Pixel ecosystem. Truthfully, I wouldn’t get either of these tablets as spec’d.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
The reviews are out -

Last edited:

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
The reviews are out -
This is the device I always wanted yet it still falls woefully short for me, based on reviews. I am an Android and Chrome OS user but I cannot justify $500 in a world where there is a $329 iPad, that comes with a better processor, battery life, and app store.
Might be something I consider picking up if it ever falls around $350 on sale.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
This is the device I always wanted yet it still falls woefully short for me, based on reviews. I am an Android and Chrome OS user but I cannot justify $500 in a world where there is a $329 iPad, that comes with a better processor, battery life, and app store.
Might be something I consider picking up if it ever falls around $350 on sale.
Me too. Feel the same way. I remember the Nexus tablets. At the time they undercut other tablets on price but still delivered a quality product.

If Google had put in a 120hz OLED panel in this tablet at the same price and added extra ram to match the Pixel 7 Pro this would be the hottest tablet of the year.

If they would have left the dock as an add on at $99 and had a keyboard at the same price as an add on I think it would have done much better. Also the storage should have started at 256gb.

Think of an OLED screen, quad speakers, 256gn storage, 12gb ram all at $499. They would be flying off the shelf.

Of course I would have also liked to see Tensor G3 and ufs 4.0 but that is wishful thinking.

Unfortunately as it is now I am not sure if it is a tablet or a Google home device? What is it?

My Tab S8 I got for $350 and it is better in almost every way and has an s pen.

Screen on a tablet is probably the most important part and then speakers. The S8 even with a TFT screen is really good. The speakers are really good. The 120hz on a tablet is really nice.

Samsung is rumored to release the S9 with the 11" having an AMOLED screen and 8 gen 2. Just those two changes alone will get me to buy it instead of the Pixel tablet. With the S9 it should last a long time and finally have an OLED screen in a 11" form factor.

As much as I love Google software and I really do this particular device is a hard pass for me. Hopefully next year Google will at least offer 120hz display and Tensor G3 and we will see if it can compete with the rumored tab s9.

I am sure Google will put these tablets on sale during the holidays for around $399.

Also the AI features in the Pixel tablet like keyboard map are already in s8. Google is supposed to release some of the picture features on all Android devices. Other than speech to text and photo unblur there is not much that is Pixel exclusive other than the UI.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Unfortunately as it is now I am not sure if it is a tablet or a Google home device? What is it?
Obviously, its both. Users can place the dock in the kitchen or wherever they choose to act as a Google Nest Hub device and then pick it up to use it as a tablet device. It's as MKBHD stated... its a 2-1 device, Google Nest Hub and tablet.

I have a Google Nest Hub in the kitchen... whenever that decides to crap out, I'll buy the Pixel Tablet as a replacement. I doubt I'll remove it from the dock... but at least it has a better screen and software compared to the Nest Hub.

My Tab S8 I got for $350 and it is better in almost every way and has an s pen.
Yeah, you got it for $350... but it retails for $699. So, would you be willing to pay $699 for that Tab S8?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Obviously, its both. Users can place the dock in the kitchen or wherever they choose to act as a Google Nest Hub device and then pick it up to use it as a tablet device. It's as MKBHD stated... its a 2-1 device, Google Nest Hub and tablet.

I have a Google Nest Hub in the kitchen... whenever that decides to crap out, I'll buy the Pixel Tablet as a replacement. I doubt I'll remove it from the dock... but at least it has a better screen and software compared to the Nest Hub.

Yeah, you got it for $350... but it retails for $699. So, would you be willing to pay $699 for that Tab S8?
I never pay retail for Samsung. It is one of the things I love about their products. You can always get them discounted and generally very good discounts.

But to answer your question if it had an OLED screen and 8 gen 2 I would for sure. As the tab s8 stands now it is over priced.

There are a lot of people who don't have a nest anything and are not looking to ever get one or at least not for the next several years so it is a useless feature and I am sure there are a lot of people in my position. So it is sort of forcing something that has no benefits to me as a consumer. At least the s pen is useful even if I don't use it very often.

It just would have been nice if Google separated the dock and made it an add on while lowering the price of the tablet itself. It would have given those who want nest the added functionality and for those who don't would have a cheaper tablet.

Personally I would rarely use the tablet docked.

But I am just talking about myself as a tablet user and how I use a tablet. Obviously everyone is different. I am just saying I think that Google could have appealed to a larger market by not making it a two in one by default.

Reactions: jdlindsey7

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
It just would have been nice if Google separated the dock and made it an add on while lowering the price of the tablet itself. It would have given those who want nest the added functionality and for those who don't would have a cheaper tablet.

Personally I would rarely use the tablet docked.
Same. I want a tablet that I can throw in my bag daily and take to work, not a hub device.

I waited for the reviews but they all seem to confirm my personal concerns. It’s seems like this is a good hub device and average tablet, at best. I ordered a refurbished Lenovo Duet 5 (detachable Chromebook) today for $300. It can be used as a tablet, has a better screen, and can still run Android apps.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
There are a lot of people who don't have a nest anything and are not looking to ever get one or at least not for the next several years so it is a useless feature and I am sure there are a lot of people in my position. So it is sort of forcing something that has no benefits to me as a consumer. At least the s pen is useful even if I don't use it very often.
Tbf, I don't think you are the target market for what Google imagine this device for. Its targeted for those who are interested in a Google Nest Hub device first and foremost. If you are not interested in a Google Nest Hub... then, most likely you would label this whole 2-1 useless.

But I am just talking about myself as a tablet user and how I use a tablet. Obviously everyone is different. I am just saying I think that Google could have appealed to a larger market by not making it a two in one by default.
Completely understand. I was just responding to your answer as far as what is it? And I agree it would have appealed to a larger market if Google would had separated the dock from the tablet while charging less for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.