Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
Tbf, I don't think you are the target market for what Google imagine this device for. Its targeted for those who are interested in a Google Nest Hub device first and foremost. If you are not interested in a Google Nest Hub... then, most likely you would label this whole 2-1 useless.
I agree with your sentiment that this device is for people that want the hub features foremost, but I think that strategy is flawed. I would imagine most everyone that wants a hub device already owns a Nest Hub or Amazon Echo. And for the same reasons the Apple HomePod and Google Home Max failed (way too expensive) I think this will fail also. People don’t want expensive home devices.

People use these devices to set timers in the kitchen and play music. I can’t figure out why they decided a $500 home device was what was missing in the already saturated market. Hope to be wrong because I always root for Google.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I agree with your sentiment that this device is for people that want the hub features foremost, but I think that strategy is flawed. I would imagine most everyone that wants a hub device already owns a Nest Hub or Amazon Echo. And for the same reasons the Apple HomePod and Google Home Max failed (way too expensive) I think this will fail also. People don’t want expensive home devices.
Umm... I think its priced correctly. Because its a 2-1... users can use it as a Google Nest Hub and a tablet. Google strategy is that most users keep their tablet in the home. So, why not combine the tablet and Nest Hub into one.

And I own a Nest Hub, but I'll be willing to buy this as a replacement when the time comes. Primarily for the bigger screen and better software features.

People use these devices to set timers in the kitchen and play music. I can’t figure out why they decided a $500 home device was what was missing in the already saturated market. Hope to be wrong because I always root for Google.
I don't use my Nest Hub for only timers and playing music... sometimes videos can be played through it. That's why the better screen appeal to me, but I bought the Nest Hub on a discount and I'll do the same for the Pixel Tablet.

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
And I own a Nest Hub, but I'll be willing to buy this as a replacement when the time comes. Primarily for the bigger screen and better software features.
That’s an important point though. People will see this as a possible replacement device if/when their current device no longer works or meets their needs. Will Google, who is quick to kill any and everything, be patient enough to stick with this model if sales are low?

I know I’m being contrarian but it’s honestly because I want the device to do well. All my concerns stated, I still will probably get one if there is a good Black Friday deal or something lol

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I personally don't think the combination of smart home hub and tablet is a winning combination.

Maybe it would work well for people who live on their own, but in a family house I think it would be annoying that someone might be using the device as a tablet when I want to use home hub functionality. In a shared household I think the smart home hub needs to be a dedicated device.

Reactions: Technerd108

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Well, I was initially impressed with the stand. Hopefully, Samsung and Apple come up with something similar? However, the tablet is too bland compared to my TabS7+ and iPad Air/mini 6 to interest me. Maybe in the next generation?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I personally don't think the combination of smart home hub and tablet is a winning combination.

Maybe it would work well for people who live on their own, but in a family house I think it would be annoying that someone might be using the device as a tablet when I want to use home hub functionality. In a shared household I think the smart home hub needs to be a dedicated device.
This is a pretty big point.

It is just an odd decision to have 2 in 1 product that no one actually asked for. It is kind of like a lazy electronic engineer and marketing team got together and said we already have hubs, why not make a tablet a hub? They are almost the same product and we can pitch the tablet as a hub too.

Again I am not criticizing people who have hubs or like the added functionality of the device but it just seems like an odd coupling since one product is meant to be used in a fixed location and a tablet is meant to be on the go device. If my kid is using the tablet what do I do with my hub?

I really wish that Google would have tried to compete in the budget space and hi end space but if I were to pick one, a high end Pixel tablet with an OLED screen would have been a big hit. If Google would have undercut on price they could have cornered the market for a little while at least.

Reactions: ozaz

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Despite my puzzled face with this tablet I really hope it sells. I really hope Google continues to produce tablets. We all know they kill anything at any time that they don't consider a success.

We need a Pixel tablet because it pushes innovation in the Android tablet space and competition.

I like my iPad air but I would really like a good Pixel tablet alternative. A Tablet is generally a tertiary device and as such it is kept for a long time. Having the very fastest hardware is nice but not always needed. Having things like long battery life, excellent screen and great speakers are more important.

Google could really lead the space and deliver a very compelling device but I think the problem is Google doesn't want to step on Chrome OS. If they develop a professional level tablet and make Android run really well with a keyboard and dex like interface then what would separate it from Chrome OS?

Chrome OS would only have a full browser and Linux support but Android can run Android apps better, have better battery life on mobile chips so if they do too much they might doom Chromebook and they don't want that.

Seems like Google may have a problem in direction?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

I understand your point. But unlike the iPad... it has profiles where users can login under their own account. Tbh, it's perfect for a shared household.

Google could really lead the space and deliver a very compelling device but I think the problem is Google doesn't want to step on Chrome OS. If they develop a professional level tablet and make Android run really well with a keyboard and dex like interface then what would separate it from Chrome OS?
You are absolutely correct here.

There's Chrome OS and this Pixel Tablet that runs a Tablet UI interface... what's the difference between the two? I think they both are redundant. And I agree, Chrome OS should of been added to this Pixel Tablet similar to how Samsung does with their Galaxy Tabs by adding DeX.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I understand your point. But unlike the iPad... it has profiles where users can login under their own account. Tbh, it's perfect for a shared household.

You are absolutely correct here.

There's Chrome OS and this Pixel Tablet that runs a Tablet UI interface... what's the difference between the two? I think they both are redundant. And I agree, Chrome OS should of been added to this Pixel Tablet similar to how Samsung does with their Galaxy Tabs by adding DeX.
I think the problem that Chrome OS has is that it is not a full fledged OS and it doesn't really work like a good tablet. Personally I have tried Chrome OS several times and I like it but it's limitations kept me from using it as a replacement for a regular laptop or Mac while at the same time I liked the touch interface and Android app compatibility but it never worked very well.

On the other hand an Android tablet works very well with Android apps. Does 90% of what Chrome OS does but better because of arm chips.

In my uneducated opinion I think that Google should drop Chrome OS and develop Android tablets better. Add the same length of updates as ChromeOS, add Linux support and a dex like interface. Just fork Android with a true tablet optimized version like iPad OS. Develop a better partnership with Windows and simplify everything. Just my opinion.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011

I think it's great that Android tablets have the ability to act as shared devices via multi user profiles. But that's not unique to this device - I believe pretty much any Android tablet can do that.

My point is centered on the smart home hub aspect of the device. I believe it will create problems in a shared household if the smart home hub isn't a single purpose, fixed location device.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Definitely not buying one of these unless there's a 50% fire sale at some point, but I love Google's hardware and am so glad they're giving tablets a chance again. I just don't think a 2-in-1 "smart hub" device is going to sell all that well. I don't even know what the point of a dedicated smart hub is and I am a pretty heavy tech enthusiast compared to most people (outside of these forums). Can't you do all of that on your phone, smart watch, Echo/HomePod, or some other device everyone already has?

It's a weird direction to go in and sometimes I have to wonder who decides Google's marketing/product lines as they make a lot of bizarre choices that usually result in a dead product line within a year.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I don't even know what the point of a dedicated smart hub is and I am a pretty heavy tech enthusiast compared to most people (outside of these forums). Can't you do all of that on your phone, smart watch, Echo/HomePod, or some other device everyone already has?

I use an Echo Shows in two locations 1) in the Kitchen and 2) in the hallway near the front door.

Compared to what I could do with a regular Echo/smart speaker...

I like having an Echo show in the kitchen mainly for timers, recipes, and watching news bulletins. Could do all this with my phone, but would have to clean/dry hands more often to interact with the phone.

I like having an Echo show in the hallway for viewing and potentially interacting with someone who rings the smart doorbell before I open the door. Again, could use my phone but I generally don't constantly carry my phone around the house with me.

Reactions: Hastings101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.