Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Same boat as 90% of you on this board. No prob at Apple Store, but activation wouldn't go through. Called probably four times between Apple and AT&T over last 14 hours...nothing.

I called one last time today, got the most helpful person in the world at AT&T. She figured out that the problem was my verizon account information *had a dash* in the middle of the number, and it cannot accept dashes (why iTunes didn't tell me this i don't know). Anyway, she fixed it, activated my iphone right over the phone while i was talking to her, and now i can make outgoing calls AND receive incoming calls. My iPhone went to brick to FULLY working (ported from Verizon) in 40 minutes with my phone call.

I also got an email from AT&T saying congratulations that my number was ported.

Call up AT&T and ask if all the info you entered into iTunes looks correct...they'll probably find something that's clogging it all up.

jacinto45

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Which of the errors did you have in iTunes? Was it the "Your activation requires additional time to complete" or one of the others people have reported?

rainmanbk

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
I am positive my number didn't have a dash in it. Are there other things that could be wrong?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
The number i called was: 1-877-800-3701

There's probably other stuff that can be wrong with the account, i would call and make sure it's not something silly like that. They can fix problems like this that iTunes doesn't catch quite easily over the phone.

Jsimon9633

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
The number i called was: 1-877-800-3701

There's probably other stuff that can be wrong with the account, i would call and make sure it's not something silly like that. They can fix problems like this that iTunes doesn't catch quite easily over the phone.

so then what option did you press 1 2 or 3?

wstohner

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
NY
crap i put that dash in my number too, but now when i call they hang up on me with a message saying that they are experiencing technical difficulties... no &*#& sherlock.

jacinto45

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
I just tried calling. I chose option 3, entered by order number, and was told by a recording that my activation had been received and would be processed "shortly."

I was given the option to press 0 to speak to a customer service representative. I did, and was told that they were experiencing technical difficulties and would have to try again later.

Anyone have better luck with this?

skillz1318

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
calling them back to have them remove the dash...

my account number is like 123234123412-00001

i didn't think to remove the dash when registering through itunes....grrrrr

rcyoung

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Where have all the character based, data entry "old time" programmers gone!

With all the "graphical" interface features used these days, recent programmers seem to have forgotten the basic rules of checking "typed" user input. All else being said, there is no excuse for an application to take an invalid character if it was written and tested to proper specifications.

Software QA messed up on this one.....and it is such a simple check!

wstohner

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
NY
calling them back to have them remove the dash...

my account number is like 123234123412-00001

i didn't think to remove the dash when registering through itunes....grrrrr

that's exactly what my account number looks like "-00001"... on hold now. it sounds like you can get them to activate the phone for you. now the question of the day: be extremely nice or disgruntled? how do i get them to do it over the phone.

skillz1318

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
im not sure...im just gonna ask for them to remove the dash from my verizon account number i guess...and hope that fixes everything

Jeffrey903

macrumors member
May 27, 2006
Should I tell them to include the "-00001" at all? Like should my account number be:

451246421 or 45124642100001

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.