Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Made these on the manual lathe at school.

20150615_194317.jpg

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm not he handiest of men, but I can write one hell of a cautionary note. In hindsight, I wish I remembered to take a picture of the collection mentioned.

image.jpg

Reactions: TheDoubler55

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks man, really can be luck of the draw doing 3D with many woods, wasn't expecting much from this red oak but has turned out to be one of my favorites. Grain is nice but not overwhelming and has a nice, solid look and feel.

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Yet another, bocote + poplar.

Bocote is a highly exotic wood tough to find, poplar you can get at home depots any day of the week - Can be a challenge finding the right grain pattern, I looked at 4 stores before I found this one. Gives almost a granite like look when machined. View attachment 574650

Last edited:

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Something a bit different, this is a floating sifter I designed to help me recover targets for my metal detecting hobby. Find a signal, take a scoop, dump it in the sifter which starts to self sift with water action, speeds things up quite nicely.

Is about 22x12" and is made from 1" PVC and .25" lexan. I drilled alot of the holes via CNC but wasn't happy with the amount so drilled a bunch more by hand - Can still see spots that needs holes, but I can't go too far without risking ruining the whole thing. The rope/lanyard is too hook on to my trunks so it follows me along as I go.

Helped me find this gold & silver just the other day

View attachment 576057

Last edited:
Reactions: BoneDaddy

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Necessity truly is the mother of invention !
Of course I can't claim an actual invention with this, I got the idea on a medal detecting forum. What sets mine apart is no metal, most guys make them with wire mesh screens ,,, I thought non metallic would be nice in case I ever have a pile of gunk on it and I want to pass my coil over it to find the prize, would not be possible with a metal screen. Plus no worries about rust.
I made this as a prototype but I'm hard pressed to think of ways to improve it, works great. Someone suggested I use a surf board ankle strap instead of the cheesy nylon rope, sounded good until I checked the prices [about $30], so I'll stick with the rope unless something better comes along.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
a few of the hitting I make. I am making another a board with a matching hanging sign right now. lots of wacky things for the movie industry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.