Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beanboy89

macrumors regular
May 5, 2016
Pennsylvania
Panther desktop on my iMac G4!

U9EIxdx.png

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
Safari…
(FACEPALM IMAGE)
ahahahahhahahahah come on, it's not the stock Safari! it's Leopard Webkit! You're lucky to have a G5, because on G4s Tenfourfox is too slow, compared to LWK. Try LWK on a G4 and then try TFF. You'll end up using LWK most of times, as it's a lot faster and receives a lot of updates, so you can browse almost all modern sites. I do love Firefox, it's my main browser even on Android! I do love TFF too, but I'll only use it when I have to browse some very heavy sites, which it seems to manage better than LWK.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
ahahahahhahahahah come on, it's not the stock Safari! it's Leopard Webkit! You're lucky to have a G5, because on G4s Tenfourfox is too slow, compared to LWK. Try LWK on a G4 and then try TFF. You'll end up using LWK most of times, as it's a lot faster and receives a lot of updates, so you can browse almost all modern sites. I do love Firefox, it's my main browser even on Android! I do love TFF too, but I'll only use it when I have to browse some very heavy sites, which it seems to manage better than LWK.
Just yanking your chain. :D

But I must disagree with T4Fx on a G4. Everything I have done tweak-wise was to make a 1Ghz PowerBook G4 with a failed cache perform using T4Fx and I've had a FAR longer time with G4s (PowerBook and PowerMac) than I did with the G5s I have now.

I will NEVER argue SPEED. No matter what I do, T4Fx will never beat Safari/LWK in speed. But as I have mentioned in the past, I am willing to sacrafice some speed for customization. In being able to customize the browser, Safari/LWB don't even come close.

PS. When using Webkit my preference is Demeter, Sunrise and Stainless in that order. :D

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
Just yanking your chain. :D

But I must disagree with T4Fx on a G4. Everything I have done tweak-wise was to make a 1Ghz PowerBook G4 with a failed cache perform using T4Fx and I've had a FAR longer time with G4s (PowerBook and PowerMac) than I did with the G5s I have now.

I will NEVER argue SPEED. No matter what I do, T4Fx will never beat Safari/LWK in speed. But as I have mentioned in the past, I am willing to sacrafice some speed for customization. In being able to customize the browser, Safari/LWB don't even come close.

PS. When using Webkit my preference is Demeter, Sunrise and Stainless in that order. :D
I use your tweaks too, and they made my TFF much more usable on my G4! But even if it's more usable, it is not comparable to LWK. Maybe on a G5 TFF would be my only browser. Another thing LWK does well is youtube. There's no other browser in which you can watch html5 youtube so smoothly. I can watch 360p youtube with no lags at all. If only I could get the updated webkit on Demeter, I would certainly use it! Fastest browser ever tried on PPC Macs :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I use your tweaks too, and they made my TFF much more usable on my G4! But even if it's more usable, it is not comparable to LWK. Maybe on a G5 TFF would be my only browser. Another thing LWK does well is youtube. There's no other browser in which you can watch html5 youtube so smoothly. I can watch 360p youtube with no lags at all. If only I could get the updated webkit on Demeter, I would certainly use it! Fastest browser ever tried on PPC Macs :)
We are comparing Apples to oranges. :D

You are basing your comparison on speed because speed is your criteria. I've already surrendered the field when it comes to speed. But while I acknowledge that Webkit is faster, my criteria is customization. And in that regard, again, Webkit cannot compete.

For the record, I DO use webkit, particularly Demeter. Webkit, Safari, et. all are the MUCH better choice for video, Youtube in my case. That's one area that T4Fx is just dog slow at.

Reactions: pochopsp

QSDP-User

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2015
California, USA
OK, I'm using this thread as an excuse to post a couple of Tomb Raider Reboot (2013) game-play screenies as the desktop pic ;P

Can't play this game on PPC (Using MacPro1,1 BootCamp in my case),
but here's screenies/desktop pics on PPC:

Sawtooth 400 - Bad guy was blown away by exploding fuel barrel & landed this way on the platform guardrail. Baddies are very limber in death. This game-play was utilizing the PC Yamatai Patch cheat so I could get a full-health, full-ammo Lara to super-jump over and engaged the firefight in a fun (but cheating) way.
Btw, I have beat this game numerous times without cheats.
Sawtooth_Yamatai01.jpg

Quicksilver 1 Ghz Dual Processors - Lara falling off a wind-blown busted bridgeway and is about to begin an intense firefight with the armored samurai "Storm Guards" on their turf.
Btw, the QSDP has Tiger because I took out the Leopard-SATA-PCI card (flashed) setup.
It started acting a bit funky.
QSDP_Lara_Falling.png

Game is fun as hell & I have many of the 99 save-slots fulled with beginning firefight levels.

Reactions: v0lume4

QSDP-User

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2015
California, USA
I've been asked to repost this by @QSDP-User
What it looks like when you're viewing all six screens at once.
View attachment 701236

Hmm, the Honey Mooners weren't in the desktops. I remember coffee cups being poured into,
as if a monitor with cup-pic was below another. The monitor on top showed it pouring coffee into the monitor below.
Ahh, I think this was when you had your monitors arranged differently?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

QSDP-User

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2015
California, USA
Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My bad, The Honeymooner - Audrey Meadows WAS in it.
I guess I just remember the upper monitor pouring rich dark coffee into the monitor below.
...and the horizontal band running through the monitors' desktop pics.
Excellent!
https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/2015-03-07-12-24-56-jpg.533500/
I have a PSD file for that. I went and made guides for each monitor's resolution (so I know where each monitor begins and ends).

All I have to do is place pictures within the template and do whatever it is I am going to do inside and then use the Export function to export each monitor section as a slice. That gives me just the six pertinent images.

Match each to it's correct monitor and since they are at resolution all I have to worry about setting wise is that it's 'Centered'.

PS. Glad you found that. It's far enough back to have been removed off Dropbox. I'd have been looking and looking and never found the original. Now I have a clue where it's at though.

Reactions: QSDP-User

QSDP-User

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2015
California, USA
For @QSDP-User
Ugh! The downside to this is that brightly colored backgrounds on all six displays have my desk lit up like Times Square!

Very nice! This setup seems like a more unified theme that the mind's eye can first take in all at once.
Your earlier setup I find myself exploring each display though there was also a common theme.
...which isn't a bad thing, kinda like reading the pages of an interesting book.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Very nice! This setup seems like a more unified theme that the mind's eye can first take in all at once.
Your earlier setup I find myself exploring each display though there was also a common theme.
...which isn't a bad thing, kinda like reading the pages of an interesting book.
I actually need to readjust my template now. With an improve graphics card my main display is now larger!

QSDP-User

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2015
California, USA
Ugh! The downside to this is that brightly colored backgrounds on all six displays have my desk lit up like Times Square!

When full-sized, I just notice in the upper INSIGNIA monitor ...all the little scrolling(?) text.
It looks like readout from a Linux boot-up...or from the terminal or console....interesting....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.