Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I thought I had done this before but apparently I have not!

Here we go (more specs on each in signature area):

#1: the key lime clamshell
1577187923011.png

#2: the G5 server
1577188079895.png

#3: the 17" DLSD
1577188223235.png

I have not configured the 15" DLSD in my collection yet, so it’s just these three.

[All desktop backgrounds shot by me using colour reversal film, in respective order: Kodachrome 64, Ektachrome EPJ320, and Elite Chrome.]

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
txVgNRy.png

For those who are curious, the wallpaper is a grab from the 4:3 Laserdisc of Joe Dante's Explorers. These are graphics that are purportedly displayed by the Apple IIc that controls the lead characters spacecraft. (They were actually generated by an SGI Iris 1400 workstation.) I chose the full frame version to grab the image rather than a 16:9 source because the iBook's LCD is 4:3 and so it would fill the screen more or less.

AshleyPomeroy

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
England
For those who are curious, the wallpaper is a grab from the 4:3 Laserdisc of Joe Dante's Explorers.

This is one of those semi-classic 80s films that starts off well, has a good setup, and then just fizzles out towards the end, viz Flight of the Navigator, Tron, Videodrome etc. I learn from Wikipedia that it was released the day before Live Aid, which was unfortunate timing.

This is my 17" PowerBook G4's backdrop:

sDNvDuC.jpg

It's Venice, looking west, from the top of San Giorgio Maggiore.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
@eyoungren - can you share it? It's awesome! :) and I gotta say, I'm envious of that portrait setup.
The original, downloaded from the internet. That's Lan Mandragoran and Moiraine Damodred in the lead. Moiraine, my favorite Robert Jordan character and of all the depictions of her, this one is my favorite.

wp2119690-the-wheel-of-time-wallpapers.jpg

An alternate (not sure which book title this one was). Downloaded from the same place.

wp2119779-the-wheel-of-time-wallpapers.jpg

Left display.

Dual Display Left.jpg

Right display.

Dual Display Right.jpg

I should probably just scan the book cover. You will notice the quality is not high. That's semi-okay because it's a painting, but kind of annoying.

PS. I have since discovered that these images come from a calendar that I didn't know existed. Apparently there was one released in 2001 and one in 2009 (possibly another in 2014).

In any case, the 2001 calendar is on eBay for either around $50-75 depending on vendor. Now that's PowerPC markup! :D

Last edited:

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Update from my previous post:
My OS X background on my Power Mac G4 (top on previous post) has changed, but the OS 9 background (bottom) stayed the same.
New OS X background:
yukari-tiger.png

Then I have a variety of new machines as well:
PowerBook G4:
YoumuLeo.png

iBook G3:
Mirai OS 9 Desktop.png

mirai-tiger.png

PowerBook 1400:
hina-os8.png

I also got a Mac Mini G4, but can't get a screenshot of it right now
If you want any of the backgrounds, feel free to ask :D

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.