Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Good riddance to 2020 and all it brought... here's to a new start and a great new year!

2021-01.jpg

Last edited:

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
macOS Big Sur took a bunch of huge farts, so I spent my night rolling it back. Did a recovery all the way back to Mavericks.

View attachment 1704792

Mavericks was the ultimate refinement of Mac OS X. I was just thinking about it earlier today actually. I thought of how much I missed the old interface. Everything was just perfect. Yosemite and Big Sur will never really be able to compare to it. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer Skeuomorphism over flat design any day.

imDanish

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2014
Denmark
Mavericks was the ultimate refinement of Mac OS X. I was just thinking about it earlier today actually. I thought of how much I missed the old interface. Everything was just perfect. Yosemite and Big Sur will never really be able to compare to it. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer Skeuomorphism over flat design any day.
Oh, how I miss iTunes! :rolleyes: Never really learned to like the new Music-app.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

I love the OS X Snow Leopard and Leopard background and they work extremely well with dark mode. If most of the web wasn't still light-mode stark white I'd use this combo more often, but I had having a dark environment and then doing any web work.

Mavericks remains my favorite OS X release to date. It focused on refinement for things like CPU usage and RAM utilization, fixed longstanding bugs like the multi-monitor full screen spaces issue, and (in my opinion) struck a near perfect balance between excessive skeuomorphism (Mountain Lion) and a generic OS. I know some people love Big Sur (including me somewhat), but I don't recall ever hearing about usability issues before macOS took it's iOS 7 redesign after Mavericks.

Oh, how I miss iTunes! :rolleyes: Never really learned to like the new Music-app.

On a Mac, I've never understood the hate for iTunes. Yes it did a lot, but I only ever used the Music, TV, and Movie mode and had no issues. On an SSD it opened in one bounce and was less buggy in the 9 years I used it before the Music.app than the Catalina/Big Sur Music app has been in the last year.

Reactions: Royksöpp

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
I too, miss iTunes. For me the peak of iTunes was when they added movies and video podcasts. The app was great then. I did everything it needed to quickly and looked great. Shame those days didn't last. Apple ended up bogging it down like it was developed by Adobe.

If I could stay on Mavericks I would, but alas, technology moves forward. Plus none of the applications I use on the daily work with it.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
My desktop currently - basically a mashup and mockup of a work in progress of making Big Sur something let's say .... else?

Working theme btw. For Retina Macs because I don't have anything else. Btw. If you're ready for a little testing then don't hesitate to write me a letter. Or a comment.
I have some things with the dark mode in particular on Big Sur that doesn't work quite as I expected it - meaning Graphite takes, but not Blue(Aqua) If Accessibility is turned on then dark mode for Blue appearance works. So there's that. A headscratcher.

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 06.56.35.jpg

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Here is my freshly "upgraded" Late 2007 15" MacBook Pro. I just swapped the upgraded keyboard and the multitouch trackpad from a dead Late 2008 17" I had lying around. The trackpad makes everything so much nicer to use.
I actually prefer this over my 13" 2013 Retina MacBook Pro!

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 18.47.12.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.