Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohsnap

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 2.45.31 PM.png

Reactions: iAssimilated

luke83

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
Desktop pictures - I’m glad this is still a thing! I save files more than I organize them, so my current computer is a mess… but that means I still have this desktop picture from May 4, 1997. My fancy 1024x768 monitor was cutting edge.

I was a 13 year-old who spent too much time on his computer. This dtp (an acronym we used back then, not to be confused with the other old acronym for desktop publishing) is one I made by taking a screenshot of my neatly-organized desktop with a standard Mac OS background image, then I did some effects to give it the reflection + fractal effect, and I set the new image to the desktop. Of course it meant that moving or adding icons would ruin the symmetry, but it was still cool.

Mac OS 8 was officially released a couple months later, which is when the 3D-looking Apple menu logo was introduced. So this was either a skin I installed on 7.6.1 or an OS 8 beta that must have fallen off a truck.

4 may 97 dtp.jpg

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Is there a library of dynamic desktops anywhere?? Like the default Apple ones that change the image darkness etc according to your time of day?

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Desktop pictures - I’m glad this is still a thing! I save files more than I organize them, so my current computer is a mess… but that means I still have this desktop picture from May 4, 1997. My fancy 1024x768 monitor was cutting edge.

I was a 13 year-old who spent too much time on his computer. This dtp (an acronym we used back then, not to be confused with the other old acronym for desktop publishing) is one I made by taking a screenshot of my neatly-organized desktop with a standard Mac OS background image, then I did some effects to give it the reflection + fractal effect, and I set the new image to the desktop. Of course it meant that moving or adding icons would ruin the symmetry, but it was still cool.

Mac OS 8 was officially released a couple months later, which is when the 3D-looking Apple menu logo was introduced. So this was either a skin I installed on 7.6.1 or an OS 8 beta that must have fallen off a truck.

View attachment 1721441
Epic story behind the picture! I'm always happy to see other classic Mac OS screenshots in these threads, as I can't recall seeing any other than mine. I love what you did with the desktop, and I love that background! xD

luke83

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
Epic story behind the picture! I'm always happy to see other classic Mac OS screenshots in these threads, as I can't recall seeing any other than mine. I love what you did with the desktop, and I love that background! xD
Ha, glad you like it! Feel free to steal the idea. I didn’t realize there’s another thread for PowerPC desktop backgrounds - looks like I broke the rules on my first post. Let’s just pretend this one was for Flashback Friday.

I no longer have the Power Mac 8500, but I do still have a Mac Classic at my parents’ house. I should turn it on someday and check if I played any of my old SimCity games up to the futuristic year of 2021.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Ha, glad you like it! Feel free to steal the idea. I didn’t realize there’s another thread for PowerPC desktop backgrounds - looks like I broke the rules on my first post. Let’s just pretend this one was for Flashback Friday.

I no longer have the Power Mac 8500, but I do still have a Mac Classic at my parents’ house. I should turn it on someday and check if I played any of my old SimCity games up to the futuristic year of 2021.
Even if you did bend the rules a bit, it's still fun to see! :D

It would be cool to see your Mac Classic's desktop when you get it out :3

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Indeed. Thank you so much! I couldn't remember where I found that wallpaper, it had been so long ago. There is some wonderful stuff on on his site!
Yup,, I edited my comment to reflect that I was correct :D 4 different styles of that particular wallpaper

He really has made some wonderful wallpapers - I think most of us remember the Snow Leopard plush animal wallpaper :D So cute!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.