Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Hey! This is a "PICTURES" forum!

My old set died after years of use, so got a new pair and added some third party earpieces.
senn_headphones.jpg
senn_earpads.jpg

Amigaman

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Greenville, MI
Picked up a pair of Audioquest Nightowls a few weeks back. Not bad at all. You just have to get used to the forward mids. Oh, and I picked up a bespoke cable for the Nightowls. :)

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Hey! This is a "PICTURES" forum!

Very true, we've been a little chit-chatty without pictures, but I still thought it made sense to talk here vs. starting a whole, non-photo headphone thread (I almost did at one point). Kind of like the beer vs. beer photos threads, I wind up having to post both places o_O

Picked up a pair of Audioquest Nightowls a few weeks back. Not bad at all. You just have to get used to the forward mids. Oh, and I picked up a bespoke cable for the Nightowls. :)

I've never personally tried these (though I've listened to quite a few different makes/models). Yeah, most people expecting a V shaped sound would probably flip out over a more mid-forward sound :D

Side note: like the new avatar, I'm on old school Amiga owner, had a 1000, 2000 (that later got a Toaster and an 030 upgrade), even a 500 for some gaming at one point :)

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Amigaman

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Greenville, MI
These just showed up at my doorstep. My understanding is that Sennheiser shoved the HD 700 drivers into an HD 650 frame, tweaked them a little, and then called it the HD 660 S. Out of the box these cans sound spectacular. The highs are crisp and clear, the mids are smooth, and the bass is very much present and controlled. I've tried the 600s and 650s in the past and (to my ears) the 660s sound better overall.

upload_2018-8-2_15-18-50.png

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
These just showed up at my doorstep. My understanding is that Sennheiser shoved the HD 700 drivers into an HD 650 frame, tweaked them a little, and then called it the HD 660 S. Out of the box these cans sound spectacular. The highs are crisp and clear, the mids are smooth, and the bass is very much present and controlled. I've tried the 600s and 650s in the past and (to my ears) the 660s sound better overall.

View attachment 774114

Nice! Yeah, the talk was these are really more a 7xx vs. a 6xx sonically, but they used the 6 series iconic numbering as kind of a marketing spin. What kind of source setup?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Amigaman

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Greenville, MI
What kind of source setup?

CDs ripped to FLAC and played via BitPerfect and an Apogee Groove AMP/DAC. For streaming I still use Apple Music. I've yet to try out the lossless TIDAL service.
[doublepost=1533240496][/doublepost]
Side note: like the new avatar, I'm on old school Amiga owner, had a 1000, 2000 (that later got a Toaster and an 030 upgrade), even a 500 for some gaming at one point :)

I started with an Amiga 500 then eventually bought a 1000 and a 1200. I have fond memories of the Amiga from the late 80's and early 90s. :)

Reactions: D.T.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada

View attachment 774114

I'm very tempted to buy these but the high price has me holding back. I currently have the Sennheiser/Massdrop 58X and on the way is the 6XX. The 660S is $679 Canadian so quite a bit more expensive than either of the Massdrop offerings.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm very tempted to buy these but the high price has me holding back. I currently have the Sennheiser/Massdrop 58X and on the way is the 6XX. The 660S is $679 Canadian so quite a bit more expensive than either of the Massdrop offerings.

Which drop on you in for the HD6xx? I have some shipping (a month early) on Aug 10th :)

Amigaman

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Greenville, MI

I actually got my 660S new on eBay for $320. Sometimes you can find an awesome deal. :)

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I actually got my 660S new on eBay for $320. Sometimes you can find an awesome deal. :)

Hmm that's an okay deal. $320 US would still be $415 Canadian which is pretty high for me. I can't see myself spending that much on headphones unless there was a big increase in sound quality and comfort compared to what I have now. That being the 58X and soon to be 6XX.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

View attachment 774114

They look wonderful, and, from what you have written, the sound is amazing as well. Well wear, and do enjoy them.

Hmm that's an okay deal. $320 US would still be $415 Canadian which is pretty high for me. I can't see myself spending that much on headphones unless there was a big increase in sound quality and comfort compared to what I have now. That being the 58X and soon to be 6XX.

It depends on your needs and what you are comfortable with.

For now, I am content with the P7s, although I could well see myself reaching for the P9s in the near future.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I got mine earlier this week. Just waiting on an Aune X7S I'm buying used from someone. Right now I'm powering them and my 58X via my Micca Origen+ DAC/amp. How do you like the 6XX so far?

I've got a good amount of time on them (some "unattended" burn in as well), my thoughts so far, and comparisons to my Beyerdynamic DT880, Premium, 250ohm.

Packaging, build, etc., as expected, just terrific. Lightweight, decently comfortable, a little heavy clamping, I adjusted the metal bands a bit, feels pretty good.

Have listened to these artists so far:

Massive Attack
Pixies
Radiohead
Metallica
Tool
Yo La Tengo
Pink Floyd
Peter Gabriel
David Bowie
Beck
R.E.M.
Portishead
Tori Amos

So mostly a mix of alt/rock/prog/electronic-trip-hop, but lots of instrument, vocal variation, across these sort of related genres, all from CDs on the Teac P650.

I like them quite a bit, awesome sound stage, warm but not sloppy, nice lower end bass, a touch syrupy, but still plenty clean, fantastic mids (and a little forward), highs are warm, a little "laid back", detailed but not overly energetic. Vs. the DT880s, well, they're very different, the highs on the DT880s kind of sparkle, but depending on your taste, can be too bright, the mid-bass is fast and punchy, but the lower end bass isn't as present but has more slam, and they're definitely more V shaped, the earpads on the 880s are also a bit more comfy, I might look into aftermarket pads for the 6XXs.

In the under $500 category they're very competitive as the HD650, as the Massdrop 6xx (basically a 650) at $199 (delivered in the US), they're nearly unbeatable.

There's another drop on these currently active:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

For a new desk setup, I'm thinking about a Schiit Vali 2 (with a tube swap), and a Schiit SYS to switch sources between the CD player and my Mac - the DAC in the Teac is pretty awesome, but I may still add something like a Modi 2 Multibit for the Mac (and/or for the Teac, after I get some time with it). Then I plan on using the pre-amp out of the Vali 2 to a set of KRK RP4G3 powered speakers for when I want to skip the HPs.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I've got a good amount of time on them (some "unattended" burn in as well), my thoughts so far, and comparisons to my Beyerdynamic DT880, Premium, 250ohm.

Packaging, build, etc., as expected, just terrific. Lightweight, decently comfortable, a little heavy clamping, I adjusted the metal bands a bit, feels pretty good.

Massive Attack
Pixies
Radiohead
Metallica
Tool
Yo La Tengo
Pink Floyd
Peter Gabriel
David Bowie
Beck
R.E.M.
Portishead
Tori Amos

So mostly a mix of alt/rock/prog/electronic-trip-hop, but lots of instrument, vocal variation, across these sort of related genres, all from CDs on the Teac P650.

I like them quite a bit, awesome sound stage, warm but not sloppy, nice lower end bass, a touch syrupy, but still plenty clean, fantastic mids (and a little forward), highs are warm, a little "laid back", detailed but not overly energetic. Vs. the DT880s, well, they're very different, the highs on the DT880s kind of sparkle, but depending on your taste, can be too bright, the mid-bass is fast and punchy, but the lower end bass isn't as present but has more slam, and they're definitely more V shaped, the earpads on the 880s are also a bit more comfy, I might look into aftermarket pads for the 6XXs.

In the under $500 category they're very competitive as the HD650, as the Massdrop 6xx (basically a 650) at $199 (delivered in the US), they're nearly unbeatable.

For a new desk setup, I'm thinking about a Schiit Vali 2 (with a tube swap), and a Schiit SYS to switch sources between the CD player and my Mac - the DAC in the Teac is pretty awesome, but I may still add something like a Modi 2 Multibit for the Mac (and/or for the Teac, after I get some time with it). Then I plan on using the pre-amp out of the Vali 2 to a set of KRK RP4G3 powered speakers for when I want to skip the HPs.

Thanks for the review. I just brought home my new Aune X7S "Class A" Amp. I'm going to try using with both the DAC in my Macbook Pro and the DAC in the Micca Origen+. Using just the Micca I can notice a difference in sound between that and using my headphones straight out of my Mac headphone jack. Guess we'll see how this goes.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Massive Attack
Pixies
Radiohead
Metallica
Tool
Yo La Tengo
Pink Floyd
Peter Gabriel
David Bowie
Beck
R.E.M.
Portishead
Tori Amos

Excellent post. We like a lot of the same artists/music and HiFi gear!

I've been reading up on other HiFi gear and will probably build a nice home system in the next 6 months or so. Want to save up some money first. But here is what is on my shopping list right now. The CD player you mentioned, by Teac.
  • Teac CD-P650-B Compact Disc Player with USB and iPod Digital Interface (Black)
  • Teac AX-501-B Integrated Amplifier (Black)
  • Teac UD-503-B Dual-Monaural USB DAC with Headphone Amplifier Black
  • Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II Floorstanding Speaker
I'm still not fully settled on the Polk 70 series there and I'm still searching around. I really want to make sure I get a set of speakers that are matched well for power to the amp.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Thanks for the review. I just brought home my new Aune X7S "Class A" Amp. I'm going to try using with both the DAC in my Macbook Pro and the DAC in the Micca Origen+. Using just the Micca I can notice a difference in sound between that and using my headphones straight out of my Mac headphone jack. Guess we'll see how this goes.

From what I've read, the DAC in the Mac (I'm like Dr. Seuss ...) is supposed to be pretty good, just the output stage is underpowered for high ohm headphones (though I was surprised the 6XXs aren't too terrible directly from the headphones port).

Excellent post. We like a lot of the same artists/music and HiFi gear!

I've been reading up on other HiFi gear and will probably build a nice home system in the next 6 months or so. Want to save up some money first. But here is what is on my shopping list right now. The CD player you mentioned, by Teac.
  • Teac CD-P650-B Compact Disc Player with USB and iPod Digital Interface (Black)
  • Teac AX-501-B Integrated Amplifier (Black)
  • Teac UD-503-B Dual-Monaural USB DAC with Headphone Amplifier Black
  • Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II Floorstanding Speaker
I'm still not fully settled on the Polk 70 series there and I'm still searching around. I really want to make sure I get a set of speakers that are matched well for power to the amp.

The P650 is really outstanding, it was a tie/better/close 2nd to the other "I can't believe this CD player is under $200" product from Onko, the C7030. The problem (and I posted about this when I was shopping), was the incredible DAC the 7030 was using was no longer available, so they started using an inferior chip, but you really had no idea which one you were getting, even if you bought refurb, so instead of being bugged by that unknown, I went with the P650, awesome Burr Brown DAC, solidly built, shockingly good headphone output/amp. TASCAN is the pro division of TEAC and they have some nice players too, some rack mounts if you're into that style.

There's a couple of TEAC DACs that I see referenced on a few HiFi sites that people just rave about, sounds like a good direction. Those 70 Series are a real steal for the price, i see them on sale for just crazy prices (NewEgg has them on sale right now for $159/ea !)

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
23A572C2-0608-46EB-843B-6A81D4C6C4A1.jpeg

Jabra Elite 65t

Would have gone with airpods but they don't stay in my ear. Tried a few different fully wireless options.... These are by far the best imo.

Reactions: AngerDanger
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.