Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Here is my one & only!

157d84183cb1f5d58210b5579dc7cfc7.jpg

Gorgeous picture, gorgeous headphones, and gorgeous headphone stand.

Reactions: Gutwrench and MCFS

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I love them.

It’s the Sieveking Sound Omega stand in walnut color.

They look fantastic, as do the headphones. Well wear, and do enjoy.

@Dave Meadows: What are the differences in terms of comfort of the headband between the P7s and the P9s?

The P5s are incredibly, wonderfully comfortable and I have used them on transcontinental flights a lot of the past few years.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
They look fantastic, as do the headphones. Well wear, and do enjoy.

@Dave Meadows: What are the differences in terms of comfort of the headband between the P7s and the P9s?

The P5s are incredibly, wonderfully comfortable and I have used them on transcontinental flights a lot of the past few years.

That’s a difficult question to answer and I no longer have the P7’s. From memory I’d say they’re about the same. Whilst on a recent trip to John Lewis’s I noticed they are now selling the P9’s. You should try and go and have a look. (And don’t forget your credit card!)

MacOSphere

Suspended
Mar 8, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
Nice, did you pick those up on the recent drop?

Indeed. May or June, can't remember. It was a quick turnaround time – lucky I guess.

I had previously auditioned the HD 6XX's and I liked them but found them to be too 'dark' sounding. Coming from years and years with the Sony MDR-7506's, there was too little in the way of treble for my taste.

The 58X Jubilee sounds more to my liking. I don't think it's 'neutral' but it's certainly less 'dark' and pretty well balanced across all frequencies.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Today I listened to Paul McCartney's new album, Egypt Station. Listening on CD on my Oppo 205 and my Bowers and Wilkins P9's. Sounded superb and a good album too.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Indeed. May or June, can't remember. It was a quick turnaround time – lucky I guess.

I had previously auditioned the HD 6XX's and I liked them but found them to be too 'dark' sounding. Coming from years and years with the Sony MDR-7506's, there was too little in the way of treble for my taste.

The 58X Jubilee sounds more to my liking. I don't think it's 'neutral' but it's certainly less 'dark' and pretty well balanced across all frequencies.

I've read other owners say the same, I'm a little treble sensitive, so I like the more laid back highs on the 6XX, and love the really lush mids and expansive bass. I had a pair of Beyerdynamic 880s which had *beautiful* highs, I'm talking details I hadn't heard listening with a wide range of equipment, but again, I wound up favoring the dialed back treble, mid-forward of the 6XXs.

A couple of headphone amps I'm shopping say they bright up the highs anywhere from a bit to depends-on-the-tube-selection, so maybe I'll get a touch more when I score the new gear.

Side note: how is the comfort on your ear pads? Mine is _OK_, I'm thinking about some Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads, this specific model (they make 4 different options) isn't supposed to affect the sound:

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...rid-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd600-headphones/

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Side note: how is the comfort on your ear pads? Mine is _OK_, I'm thinking about some Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads, this specific model (they make 4 different options) isn't supposed to affect the sound:

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...rid-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd600-headphones/

... and there's a drop! I'm in for the Elite Hybrid, +$20, but at $54.95 delivered that's still a good $15-25 cheaper than other sources.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-pads#overview

MacOSphere

Suspended
Mar 8, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
I've read other owners say the same, I'm a little treble sensitive, so I like the more laid back highs on the 6XX, and love the really lush mids and expansive bass. I had a pair of Beyerdynamic 880s which had *beautiful* highs, I'm talking details I hadn't heard listening with a wide range of equipment, but again, I wound up favoring the dialed back treble, mid-forward of the 6XXs.

A couple of headphone amps I'm shopping say they bright up the highs anywhere from a bit to depends-on-the-tube-selection, so maybe I'll get a touch more when I score the new gear.

Sorry for my delay in responding. I've found the ear pads on the 58X to be comfortable enough. The good thing is that everything from the 580, 58X, 600, 650, 660s and 6XX all use the same ear pad, more or less. Makes interchangeable parts easy to find as well.

I'll look into those pads, they look comfy.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Interesting, Schiit slipped in a Modi 3 to their product line in the last month! I saw someone talking about it, figured they meant a Magni 3, nope the Modi 2 was in fact updated, new DAC circuits, and the new product pricing is pretty awesome: the Modi 2 (USB only) was $99, the Modi 2 Uber that added TOS and Coax was $149, the Multibit, $249 - the MB is still $249, but the $99 model now has all three digital interfaces! (so no $149 model).

Sorry for my delay in responding. I've found the ear pads on the 58X to be comfortable enough. The good thing is that everything from the 580, 58X, 600, 650, 660s and 6XX all use the same ear pad, more or less. Makes interchangeable parts easy to find as well.

I'll look into those pads, they look comfy.

Got mine a couple of weeks ago, they're definitely more comfy vs. the stockers, and I think they actually improve the sound a touch (there's always the possibility of wrecking the stock sound with different earpads). These are the Elite Hybrid so it's a solid sheepskin outer, with a velour face, and then fenestrated sheepskin on the inner ring - it's still warm, rich base, but still punchy, mids are still terrific and the uppers sound the same.

However, I also did the "coin mod", aka, quarter/nickel/<other_currency> mod, basically cut out a 1" circle of the inner dampening foam to expose the driver - it's said to (and somewhat supported by some actual instrument measurements) increase the highs a bit, and while I'm sure it's hard to avoid just thinking it did ... it did. :D I wasn't - for obvious reasons - really able to do a direct A/B, but I did a few references listens before the new pads, after the pads, then after the mod.

Packing was really nice on the earpads, the lid even had a little magnetic "latch" :)

IMG_4345_1200.jpg

Last edited:

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Audioquest NightOwl

jr8FHBK.jpg

I've been using Sennheiser HD 599s for a while now, and while I like them, I'd been getting a bit frustrated with the fact that they're open back and really only sound good when I'm in a silent room. The fact is I don't always have a silent room. Now I have some headphones that really block out the sound but still sound excellent. They are balanced, but I don't have a balanced cable or amp yet. That will be my next purchase :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Audioquest NightOwl

I've been using Sennheiser HD 599s for a while now, and while I like them, I'd been getting a bit frustrated with the fact that they're open back and really only sound good when I'm in a silent room. The fact is I don't always have a silent room. Now I have some headphones that really block out the sound but still sound excellent. They are balanced, but I don't have a balanced cable or amp yet. That will be my next purchase :)

Periapt makes some killer cables, $69-$89, including balanced XLR, and I think the dual 2.5mm is compatible with Audioquest[?] Maybe a Cavalli balanced amp? Tube hybrid?

Fun stuff!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Headphone people ... a couple of days ago, Schiit posted up their new B-stock list, generally stuff is 10-20% off, well, the Vali 2 hybrid tube amp is $99 vs. $149, ~34% saving, making an already incredible deal, totally insane.

Just ordered one, it kind of wasn't in my future plans, but for that price, it's hard to pass up. There was 30-something when the stock was posted, it's now down to 11, umm, well, actually now it's 10 :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Headphone people ... a couple of days ago, Schiit posted up their new B-stock list, generally stuff is 10-20% off, well, the Vali 2 hybrid tube amp is $99 vs. $149, ~34% saving, making an already incredible deal, totally insane.

Just ordered one, it kind of wasn't in my future plans, but for that price, it's hard to pass up. There was 30-something when the stock was posted, it's now down to 11, umm, well, actually now it's 10 :D

Sounds like a great buy. Let me know how you find it.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Wow, the Vali 2 B-stock was like Keyser Soze ... and like they, they're gone ...

That was really quick, I noticed other sub-$300 items aren't going as quick (though a few more lower volume items are gone this weekend). I think the substantial discount was pretty motivating :) Also, Schiit doesn't do sales, doesn't sell on Ebay, doesn't have 3rd party resellers, so any discount is kind of a big deal. Didn't get a ship notice yet, but I went with USPS Priority, so I figure it will be here before the end of next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.