Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Excellent. Delighted to hear that.

My P5s aren't fully closed, but when using either my iPod Touch (which I bought last year to replace the classic which died), or my Astell & Kern SP1000, on long - sometimes transcontinental - flights, they work more than perfectly well.

Just as kind of a general FYI: the open or closed design designation is independent of being on-ear or over-ear (even if the latter provides a little more isolation). In other words, the P5s while on-ear, are still considered a closed-back design (since the drivers are isolated/insulated from sound entering from the exposed side of the earcup). Conversely, my HD6XXs are over-ear, but open back, so even so my ears are completely isolated in the earcup, they're completely exposed to external sounds through the open outer section (you can literally look all the way through the earcup!)

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just as kind of a general FYI: the open or closed design designation is independent of being on-ear or over-ear (even if the latter provides a little more isolation). In other words, the P5s while on-ear, are still considered a closed-back design (since the drivers are isolated/insulated from sound entering from the exposed side of the earcup). Conversely, my HD6XXs are over-ear, but open back, so even so my ears are completely isolated in the earcup, they're completely exposed to external sounds through the open outer section (you can literally look all the way through the earcup!)

Ah, thank you. This was something (a difference, a distinction) I hadn't understood.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I think I have a couple (or three :D) of tubes in storage (attic), not sure what models, compatibility (whether they need an adapter), but I might go spelunking after the amp comes in and I have some time with the stock tube - assuming they are in the attic and I'm not eaten by the attic monster. I think the nearly unanimous consensus is a tube swap is big improvement, even something like an Electro-Harmonix 6922 for ~$13 :)

Well, it came in (woo!), but I apparently won't be using it immediately (doh!). It shipped with the Euro/UK spec 230v power supply power supply (vs. the as ordered, US 115v ...). A quick email and response, got me the right one on the way, their dime of course, just a bummer I didn't get to try it today. I +love+ the small chassis Schiit products, just so nicely designed and space saving on a desk - the [small model] tube amp is impressive because the external power supply is actually a two stage, which normally requires a ton of internal components, but since it's external, the "wall wart" is huge, but the amp itself is, well, it's just so darn cute :D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Well, it came in (woo!), but I apparently won't be using it immediately (doh!). It shipped with the Euro/UK spec 230v power supply power supply (vs. the as ordered, US 115v ...). A quick email and response, got me the right one on the way, their dime of course, just a bummer I didn't get to try it today. I +love+ the small chassis Schiit products, just so nicely designed and space saving on a desk - the [small model] tube amp is impressive because the external power supply is actually a two stage, which normally requires a ton of internal components, but since it's external, the "wall wart" is huge, but the amp itself is, well, it's just so darn cute :D
Good deal! Glad to hear their customer support was able to take care of you. That's always the most important thing to me in a company: the customer support. You have have a great product, but if the support is terrible when you need it, then the product isn't as great as I thought it was.

The Schiit stuff is quite nice, isn't it? Small, compact and aesthetically pleasing.

On a different note, the older Apple 30-pin to USB cable I ordered arrived today and now my iPod (5th gen) is properly connecting to my Mac and iTunes so I can get that 1 song from it that I really love.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
PS received at 10:30a, got back from the gym, bolted to the mailbox around 11a, yes! US power supply! Plugged it in, oh yeah, a power light and the beautiful orange tube glow - been letting it warm up, will check it out momentarily :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
OK, it's pretty amazing (Schiit Vali 2), even with the stock tube not really broken in very well, so much power for the 300Ω Senn HD6XX (running it on the high gain setting), headphones have the "coin mod" and aftermarket earpads. Construction is just stellar, the switches are super tactile, the volume pot is firm, solid, the finish is perfect.

So I haven't connected it to my CD player, which has an awesome Burr Brown DAC, currently just running it off my MBP (2015 model), analog out (3.5mm>RCA). So using the MBP's DAC, and listening to music from iTunes, 256 kbps/44.1 kHz - and factoring in the mediocre tube supplied, the performance is amazing, decent soundstage, big thick bass, highs are bright (almost too much!), mids got a little more recessed (vs. the direct connect to the MBP or Teac). Tomorrow I'll try the Teac P650, and eventually I'll add a Schiit Modi 3 DAC, at least for the MBP.

IMG_4436_1200.jpg

Good deal! Glad to hear their customer support was able to take care of you. That's always the most important thing to me in a company: the customer support. You have have a great product, but if the support is terrible when you need it, then the product isn't as great as I thought it was.

The Schiit stuff is quite nice, isn't it? Small, compact and aesthetically pleasing.

On a different note, the older Apple 30-pin to USB cable I ordered arrived today and now my iPod (5th gen) is properly connecting to my Mac and iTunes so I can get that 1 song from it that I really love.

Yeah, most companies do an OK job if you're not having any issues, but that's the big differentiator, when something does "break" (or whatever the issue might be), how does the company respond - I feel like this was pretty stellar (especially for a B-stock product).

Quite a few folks say the Topping D30 and A30 is pretty close (in terms of SQ) to the Modi 2 / Magni 3, about the same price, but the support for the Topping products is kind of non-existent, Chinese built (which can be awesome), but non-domestic support channels, which means, if you do have a problem, it's a crap shoot.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yeah, most companies do an OK job if you're not having any issues, but that's the big differentiator, when something does "break" (or whatever the issue might be), how does the company respond - I feel like this was pretty stellar (especially for a B-stock product).
I was looking at buying myself a very nice DAP this past week and the Astell & Kern AK70 MKII was on my radar for features and price point. But after reading several reviews, that model seems to have issues with the headphone port half failing and only delivering mono sound to one ear. The people who contacted A&K for support said it was an exceptionally dismal experience. The ones who had contact, after much effort, also had to pay a bench fee before they'd look at it. That's really crappy of them considering that their products are very expensive, into the thousands of dollars range too.

I kept on looking after deciding to pass on the A&K brand and after reading more reviews I landed on the Pioneer XDP-300R (B). It seems to be one of the better DAPs in its price range. It boasts dual DAC's and an amp that can drive many high impedance headphones, which is good because I will be using the DT880's with it. Apparently there is a US version of this DAP and an international version. Some reviews I read on that suggest the US version is a bit clunky or not as well refined with its OS (Android) and that the international version is great and rock solid. I ordered the international version. It shipped directly from Japan and is now currently in customs in Chicago waiting to be cleared. I also ordered a 200GB SD card to go with it for extra storage since the DAP itself only comes with 32GB of storage. It is expandable with the SD card to hold a maximum of 432GB (32 GB internal + 2 200GB SD cards).

It is also lauded as the best DAP for DSD with Tidal. I canceled Apple Music and re-subscribed to Tidal for this. Plus Tidal can be used in Apple CarPlay and it worked nicely the past few days as I had a conference to attend some distance away.

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 6.54.35 AM.png

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I was looking at buying myself a very nice DAP this past week and the Astell & Kern AK70 MKII was on my radar for features and price point. But after reading several reviews, that model seems to have issues with the headphone port half failing and only delivering mono sound to one ear. The people who contacted A&K for support said it was an exceptionally dismal experience. The ones who had contact, after much effort, also had to pay a bench fee before they'd look at it. That's really crappy of them considering that their products are very expensive, into the thousands of dollars range too.

I kept on looking after deciding to pass on the A&K brand and after reading more reviews I landed on the Pioneer XDP-300R (B). It seems to be one of the better DAPs in its price range. It boasts dual DAC's and an amp that can drive many high impedance headphones, which is good because I will be using the DT880's with it. Apparently there is a US version of this DAP and an international version. Some reviews I read on that suggest the US version is a bit clunky or not as well refined with its OS (Android) and that the international version is great and rock solid. I ordered the international version. It shipped directly from Japan and is now currently in customs in Chicago waiting to be cleared. I also ordered a 200GB SD card to go with it for extra storage since the DAP itself only comes with 32GB of storage. It is expandable with the SD card to hold a maximum of 432GB (32 GB internal + 2 200GB SD cards).

It is also lauded as the best DAP for DSD with Tidal. I canceled Apple Music and re-subscribed to Tidal for this. Plus Tidal can be used in Apple CarPlay and it worked nicely the past few days as I had a conference to attend some distance away.

View attachment 798657

Wow, that has some killer specs, pretty amazing package of DAC + amp + player/storage.

Funny enough, I busted out my 5.5 iPod (80GB), just to check it out, sounds pretty great (the 5.5s had really excellent SQ), I might drop RockBlox on it again and use it with FLAC files!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wow, that has some killer specs, pretty amazing package of DAC + amp + player/storage.

Funny enough, I busted out my 5.5 iPod (80GB), just to check it out, sounds pretty great (the 5.5s had really excellent SQ), I might drop RockBlox on it again and use it with FLAC files!
I also ordered, just this morning, the FiiO F9 PRO IEM's. I wanted something a little more discrete and low-profile compared to the DT-880's if I decide to take the XDP-300 on the road with me. I might not want to lug the large headphones around. Plus the F9's can plug into the balanced outputs of the DAP so I wanted to be able to experience that as well.

The iPod (5.5) is a pretty good device for what it is. I certainly like mine.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

View attachment 798657

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience with the A&K crowd; their customer service is not the best, agreed.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ah, okay. I see.

Still, less than impressive.

Anyway, I am glad that you are (or sound) happy with what you have ordered.
Yeah, I know you really like your A&K and it was the first place I looked for a DAP based on your testimony of it. But one of my things is, both personally and professionally, if you (a company) make a great product but cannot properly support it, I'm not likely to buy it.

I just kept coming up on negative reviews of A&K's customer support and decided to give them a pass. I certainly hope your DAP never gives you any trouble and that you get years of use out of it.

I do hope I end up happy with what I ordered. Pioneer is a big name in audio and has been for years. I used to have a bunch of Pioneer component stereo equipment in the 90's. I wish I knew what I did with all of it because it is nowhere to be found these days.

Regardless, I didn't come across any negative reviews of the Pioneer DAP I ordered, except for the US version of it for which I ordered the international version which supposedly is the better one.

Time will tell for sure.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yeah, I know you really like your A&K and it was the first place I looked for a DAP based on your testimony of it. But one of my things is, both personally and professionally, if you (a company) make a great product but cannot properly support it, I'm not likely to buy it.

I just kept coming up on negative reviews of A&K's customer support and decided to give them a pass. I certainly hope your DAP never gives you any trouble and that you get years of use out of it.

I do hope I end up happy with what I ordered. Pioneer is a big name in audio and has been for years. I used to have a bunch of Pioneer component stereo equipment in the 90's. I wish I knew what I did with all of it because it is nowhere to be found these days.

Regardless, I didn't come across any negative reviews of the Pioneer DAP I ordered, except for the US version of it for which I ordered the international version which supposedly is the better one.

Time will tell for sure.

If I had not been given one (the A&K 120) to try out for a week, I am not sure that I would ever have become quite so smitten with the product.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Speaking of [higher end] DAPs, a new drop just started on the Opus #3:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/opus-3-digital-audio-player

Review (spoiler: it's stellar) :

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/the-bit-opus-3.22369/reviews
[doublepost=1540825690][/doublepost]So I'm switching between my MBP and CD player as sources to my Vali 2 headphone amp, and even messing around my iPod as a source too (FLAC/ALAC).

I originally considered the matching Schiit audio switch, 2-1, I'm sure it's outstanding, but it just seemed a little overblown, $50+, then I looked at the Nobusound switch, but have read of a few issues, some "noise" issues, it like the Schiit SYS has it's own volume control, which is sort of redundant.

All I __really__ wanted was a way to [very] occasionally switch sources.

I didn't want to constantly unplug/plug/unplug the cables at the amp, or the CDP, or even at the MBP for that matter (you know, wearing out/stressing connectors). I already had plenty of cables, including a a super nice Anker 3.5mm>>3.5mm cable I used for a previous amp that had a 3.5 input, and around that same time I picked up a Cable Creation 3.5>>RCA, 10', so it easily goes from the CDP to my desk.

So I'm thinking, OK, I've got 3.5>3.5 from the BMP, RCA>>3.5 from the CD player, so I've got these two sources ending at my desk, in a Male 3.5 ... easy enough! I ordered a Cable Creation 3.5mm Female >> RCA, very short (0.75ft), so now I can switch by just swapping the inputs at the cable, it's barely more effort than flipping an input selector (and it supports, well, unlimited sources :D). A solution for $4.99 :cool:

IMG_4447_1200.jpg

IMG_4448_1200.jpg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

[doublepost=1540825690][/doublepost]So I'm switching between my MBP and CD player as sources to my Vali 2 headphone amp, and even messing around my iPod as a source too (FLAC/ALAC).

I originally considered the matching Schiit audio switch, 2-1, I'm sure it's outstanding, but it just seemed a little overblown, $50+, then I looked at the Nobusound switch, but have read of a few issues, some "noise" issues, it like the Schiit SYS has it's own volume control, which is sort of redundant.

I didn't want to constantly unplug/plug/unplug the cables at the amp, or the CDP, or even at the MBP for that matter (you know, wearing out/stressing connectors). I already had plenty of cables, including a a super nice Anker 3.5mm>>3.5mm cable I used for a previous amp that had a 3.5 input, and around that same time I picked up a Cable Creation 3.5>>RCA, 10', so it easily goes from the CDP to my desk.

So I'm thinking, OK, I've got 3.5>3.5 from the BMP, RCA>>3.5 from the CD player, so I've got these two sources ending at my desk, in a Male 3.5 ... easy enough! I ordered a Cable Creation 3.5mm Female >> RCA, very short (0.75ft), so now I can switch by just swapping the inputs at the cable, it's barely more effort than flipping an input selector (and it supports, well, unlimited sources :D). A solution for $4.99 :cool:

View attachment 799214

View attachment 799215
How much is the Mass Drop price for it? I don't have an account and can't seem to bring up the page without logging in.

Very nice photo of the Vali and the new cables. Very nice photo. I do admit that the tube amps are a sexy looking piece of engineering.

As much as I would like to play with the tubes, I do like my clean setup with the Magni and the Modi and don't want to add more clutter to the desk and more cables, although your solution is a good compromise.

----
On a related note, my Pioneer DAP and the FiiO F9 PRO IEM's arrived today. I wasn't expecting the DAP to arrive until around Thanksgiving due to coming directly from Japan and based on the shipping estimates from Amazon. It was sold through Amazon from a Japanese company called J-Made.

When I opened the box there was a handwritten note thanking me for the order, and some kind of little Japanese umbrella things. The note went on to say that they upgraded my shipping to 'expedited' at no additional cost to me. That explains how I received it in about a week. That was very kind of them and I should go and leave them some positive feedback for the gesture.

I just loaded all of my ALAC files onto the 1 200GB SD card and the first album I loaded up was Massive Attack: Mezzanine. The song Angel seems to be an audiophile favorite for testing hi-res equipment. So I queued it up. I also have the new IEM's plugged in and using the balanced port as well. So far I heard a few details in 'Angel' that I've not heard before, even with the 650's or the 880's and the Schiit stack.

The DAP is hefty and feels durable to be sure. I've only had it up and running for a few minutes and so far so good.

If there is one negative thing to say about it right now, that would be that it runs on Android. It's not because I'm an Apple person, quite the contrary. I was rather hoping for just a pure (Pioneer?) OS for the music, including Tidal and just a WiFi connection. I didn't really want all the other Google stuff on it. But, it is what it is.

I'll listen to this for a while tonight and write back with more thoughts after I've used it more.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Oh sorry, I didn't realize the drops weren't visible to unregistered users, it's a list price of $599, with a Massdrop price of $449.99+ $2.75 shipping (that shipping amount kind of cracks me up, really? Not free, but only $2.75 :D)

Yes, the tube is fun, I mean, it's a hybrid tube, so it's mostly SS with a little tube-ification at the gain stage. I still plan on one of their Modi 3 DACs, but it'll sit _under_ the Vali 2, hahaha ... :p

Massive Attack: Mezzanine >> Angel is so fantastic. Interestingly, the TEAC's output kind of necessitates running on Low Gain on the amp to have decent volume control range, vs. running it on High for output on the MBP.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Oh sorry, I didn't realize the drops weren't visible to unregistered users, it's a list price of $599, with a Massdrop price of $449.99+ $2.75 shipping (that shipping amount kind of cracks me up, really? Not free, but only $2.75 :D)

Yes, the tube is fun, I mean, it's a hybrid tube, so it's mostly SS with a little tube-ification at the gain stage. I still plan on one of their Modi 3 DACs, but it'll sit _under_ the Vali 2, hahaha ... :p

Massive Attack: Mezzanine >> Angel is so fantastic. Interestingly, the TEAC's output kind of necessitates running on Low Gain on the amp to have decent volume control range, vs. running it on High for output on the MBP.
I read/skimmed over that review you linked to. Not a bad DAP at all, and the Mass Drop price is pretty darn good too. I do plan to sit down and read that review more thoroughly a bit later.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

View attachment 799214

View attachment 799215

Thanks for sharing the review of the Opus 3; I enjoyed reading it.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada

What OS is that Opus DAP running on? How well does it work with MacOS?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.