Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Since I've had the Pioneer DAP I've had better opportunities to use the Beyerdynamic DT880's that I purchased from @D.T. not too long ago (thank you!). I've used the 880's with the Schiit stack several times too for extended periods as well.

I love these 880's and Beyerdynamic. (I love the Sennheiser 650's as well)

The 880's I can literally wear all day long and not grow weary from them. The ear cups fit around the ears very well and the pads are soft and very comfortable and do not fatigue the ears at all. The semi-open backs seem to allow plenty of room air to flow through preventing ear sweat which is a very good thing to me. The headband, also an important component of a quality headphone is great.It sits on top and hold the headphones in place yet it does not fatigue or hurt the top of my head in the least bit.

I've done some occasional reading on audiophile lingo and am finally understanding what 'soundstage' is. With that knowledge in mind, earlier today I was listening to Daft Punk's album Random Access Memories, and specifically the track 'Giorgio by Moreoder'. Throughout the song I could hear exceptionally well the different area's of the stage, if you will, of where the music and the sounds were coming from. That's really cool to finally know and understand the term and then realize it while listening to hi-res audio. I've heard that 'soundstage' effect before in other songs and on other equipment, but just barely due to the lower quality tracks and equipment. But with the hi-res equipment and lossless tracks, it's far more evident and very pleasing.

Just a few minutes ago I put on Tool's album Ænima and the song 'Eulogy' started to blow me away briefly in the beginning. As the music started to come in and slowly build up in volume I could hear faint background elements that after decades of listening to the song, I've never before heard. Just amazing.

The little Pioneer DAP can drive these 880's nicely, but it's near its limit as I have the gain on high and the volume around 130-135 most of the time.

All in all, the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium, Special Edition's are fantastic and I just love them. They're a true pleasure to wear and listen to.

71o3fk9SkNL._SX425_.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Since I've had the Pioneer DAP I've had better opportunities to use the Beyerdynamic DT880's that I purchased from @D.T. not too long ago (thank you!). I've used the 880's with the Schiit stack several times too for extended periods as well.

The 880's I can literally wear all day long and not grow weary from them. The ear cups fit around the ears very well and the pads are soft and very comfortable and do not fatigue the ears at all. The semi-open backs seem to allow plenty of room air to flow through preventing ear sweat which is a very good thing to me. The headband, also an important component of a quality headphone is great.It sits on top and hold the headphones in place yet it does not fatigue or hurt the top of my head in the least bit.

I've done some occasional reading on audiophile lingo and am finally understanding what 'soundstage' is. With that knowledge in mind, earlier today I was listening to Daft Punk's album Random Access Memories, and specifically the track 'Giorgio by Moreoder'. Throughout the song I could hear exceptionally well the different area's of the stage, if you will, of where the music and the sounds were coming from. That's really cool to finally know and understand the term and then realize it while listening to hi-res audio. I've heard that 'soundstage' effect before in other songs and on other equipment, but just barely due to the lower quality tracks and equipment. But with the hi-res equipment and lossless tracks, it's far more evident and very pleasing.

Just a few minutes ago I put on Tool's album Ænima and the song 'Eulogy' started to blow me away briefly in the beginning. As the music started to come in and slowly build up in volume I could hear faint background elements that after decades of listening to the song, I've never before heard. Just amazing.

The little Pioneer DAP can drive these 880's nicely, but it's near its limit as I have the gain on high and the volume around 130-135 most of the time.

All in all, the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium, Special Edition's are fantastic and I just love them. They're a true pleasure to wear and listen to.

View attachment 800961

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this account of the Beyerdynamic 880s. Thank you for posting and sharing it.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Salt City Ute

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Salt Lake City, Utah

View attachment 800961

If you have the opportunity early Nine Inch Nails has a fantastic soundstage. I’m trying to remember which song specifically but it’s on the Downward Spural album.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Funkatronic

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Pune, India
These lovely, beautiful sounding AirPods

C82A9FAE-8F46-4110-887D-0AC8050C018D.jpeg

.... which I use on the go. Before I trigger everyone in this thread though, here’s my regular listening setup.
(Windows PC) foobar > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > AKG K712 Pros

6A99127B-8F14-473C-9DA0-99A3CAA8562C.jpeg

Reactions: DeepIn2U

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
These are my new open-back headphones; Audeze LCD-2 Classic. I am powering them with the ifi Micro iDSD Black Label DAC/Amp.

I am coming from a Bowers & Wilkins P7 (wired) and I must say these new headphones are a completely new listening experience to me. I am completely baffled, mesmerized and blown away by the sound. I don't know if it's because they are Planar Magnetic as they are my first Planar headphones. All I can say is WOW.

I know the above is pretty shallow. I'll write a review once I've listened to the new pair for a while.

(sorry for the photo quality)

IMG_0158.jpg

lilbukka

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Chicago
I use Audeze Sine w/lightning dac/amp. B&O beoplay H9, Teac amp/dac they all sound really good. Getting some new cans soon. Probably more audeze or Focal.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Has anyone had experience with the Powerbeats Pro or the Sennheiser Momentum wireless ear buds?

I have the Bose SoundSports but find them a little heavy in my ears so am considering trying the PB’s or Senn’s.

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220

The choice of professional musicians for decades. You see them in concert footage, musical and tv recording footage, everywhere. They're known for their flat response as a studio monitor, it even says that on the band. I. own three pair. One I bought in 1991 and they still work perfectly. They sound better than many phone at $300, but these are a whopping $78.00. I also have a pair of MDR 7510's which I'm loving. The 50mm drivers blow! These headphone don't have big bass, they have "real bass," so many people won't care for them but those who love flat response do.

Reactions: rhythmac

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Has anyone had experience with the Powerbeats Pro or the Sennheiser Momentum wireless ear buds?

I have the Bose SoundSports but find them a little heavy in my ears so am considering trying the PB’s or Senn’s.

Picked up the Sennheiser’ and the Powerbeats Pro today. I have to say that the Senn’s offer far superior sound. Both are comfortable to wear and the PB’s have better controls but so far it is they that I shall be returning.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2005
The choice of professional musicians for decades. You see them in concert footage, musical and tv recording footage, everywhere. They're known for their flat response as a studio monitor, it even says that on the band. I. own three pair. One I bought in 1991 and they still work perfectly. They sound better than many phone at $300, but these are a whopping $78.00. I also have a pair of MDR 7510's which I'm loving. The 50mm drivers blow! These headphone don't have big bass, they have "real bass," so many people won't care for them but those who love flat response do.

These are my TV/movie headphones. I've kept a pair of 7506 (and their cousin, the V6) on hand for decades.

Reactions: Kevbasscat

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Do you still have - and still use - the B&W P9s? If so, how do you find them?

Yes, I still have and still use my P9’s. They are still the best headphones I’ve ever used. The reason for buying “ear buds” are when out and about. I’ve started to listen to audio books and podcasts and in ear phones are better, I think for this, especially when out of doors. I have the Apple AirPods but the darn things don’t sit in my ears as good as they should.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, I still have and still use my P9’s. They are still the best headphones I’ve ever used. The reason for buying “ear buds” are when out and about. I’ve started to listen to audio books and podcasts and in ear phones are better, I think for this, especially when out of doors. I have the Apple AirPods but the darn things don’t sit in my ears as good as they should.

Ah, I see.

Delighted to learn that the P9s are as good as ever, and that you are still enjoying them.

Not a fan of the Apple earbuds myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.