Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
I added an Expedit bookshelf. I mainly wanted to create a separate headphone environment in my living room and get some storage for some of my records.

The red cubes on the top shelf are also IKEA. They are more see through than I thought they would be, so I am going to line the front with paper or material to hide the stuff that I have in them.

Very cool I have that LP "only the lonely"

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I had no idea Ikea had so much stuff. Our store here in Colorado is opening later this month but I probably won't get to the store until fall/winter.

Block off several hours the first time you go....the stores are massive. And yeah....they carry a ton of stuff.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Very cool I have that LP "only the lonely"
Then you have great taste!;)

Nice Marantz receiver—loved the look and sound from those—ours doesn't have the wood cabinet/case (only the simulated wood metal), but the front looks identical!
The case around it is not the original case. I had my dad make a wood case for me. Here is a better look at it:

large.jpg

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I had no idea Ikea had so much stuff. Our store here in Colorado is opening later this month but I probably won't get to the store until fall/winter.

I moved to Orlando from Loveland, CO 2 years ago. They have an Ikea store down here. Several of my friends from CO are very excited about the one opening there. And yes, they carry a LOT of stuff!

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010

I have a friend who just moved out to Golden and she's pretty excited to stock up her new apartment with Ikea things…we've joked that it's a bit like Inception - "a labyrinth that you don't know the layout of" and that time seems to go by rather slowly in the store, but outside you can easily waste a few hours. Still, not sure the format of the one out there (2-story or more), but always take a day to go through the first time...and check out the restaurant...pretty good cheap food...sometimes they even credit your meal when you go to purchase items...

Nilscollection

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
The Netherlands
Thanks! I really like it, too.

I used Google SketchUp, mainly because it's gallery includes almost every piece of furniture in my room - the iMac, the printer, all sorts of IKEA furniture...

Corbet

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2005
Does anyone know if it's possible to sand down lacquer on a GALANT and stain it yourself? I'm a little tired of having a black desk and I was thinking about sanding it down and staining it.

Is this even possible with a particleboard-based item?

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Does anyone know if it's possible to sand down lacquer on a GALANT and stain it yourself? I'm a little tired of having a black desk and I was thinking about sanding it down and staining it.

It is certainly possible: the veneer is pretty thin, though, so it would be best if possible to use a cabinet scraper to get the bulk of it off, then apply varnish stripper (sparingly, or you will risk lifting the veneer) and finish with fine sandpaper (120 grade or higher).

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
If It's Solid Wood

Then yes, it's possible, but if it's a veneer ( which I suspect) then don't even try....You will just end up lifting the thin veneer from the desk and end up with a wrecked desk.

Corbet

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2005
It is certainly possible: the veneer is pretty thin, though, so it would be best if possible to use a cabinet scraper to get the bulk of it off, then apply varnish stripper (sparingly, or you will risk lifting the veneer) and finish with fine sandpaper (120 grade or higher).

Hmmm, I'll have to think about it before I decide to risk it.

I really just wish Ikea sold the Galant table tops without the frames. Their site indicates that you have to buy them together. Does anyone know if there's any way to just get the table top?

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan

I really just wish Ikea sold the Galant table tops without the frames. Their site indicates that you have to buy them together. Does anyone know if there's any way to just get the table top?
I have bought the tops by themselves in the past. When you are linking them up you can choose alternative leg configurations anyway, so it's not a fixed kit.

Last edited:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

I have bought the tops by themselves in the past. When you are linlikng them up you can choose alternative leg configurations anyway, so it's not a fixed kit.

Ikea sell the table tops without the frame in the UK...

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/pdf/buying_guides/BA5/GALANT.pdf

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010

The Web site sucks in comparison to visiting the stores — not all the inventory is on there, things that could be shipped (small/cheap items) can't be, while I can buy the heaviest of furniture, and everything needs to be bought together.

As mentioned, the legs and tops of most desks are sold separately, as are the cushions and frames for most chairs. Great for replacement!

obey908

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
San Francisco
Lack tv benches
2a0134f6.jpg

Forget the name of this
bb22b53f.jpg

Malm bed frame. Soon to be replaced. Making a frame to match headboard.
dc0e4830.jpg

Lights in headboard are from ikea too

----------

top left painting whats that called? ive been looking for it forever.

----------

i like the bed setup. thats what i plan on getting but in the states theres ways around buying the mattress from ikea (i dont like them). anyways, studio apartment?

3 monkeys by Dave Kinsey

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I decided to get an Expedit for the office, too.

A pic of the room

6147744792_5c49605045_b.jpg

A pic of the shelves in their typical setup. I plan to change out the albums every few weeks

6157291987_4ec25479fd_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

waitsui

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
I decided to get an Expedit for the office, too.

A pic of the room

A pic of the shelves in their typical setup. I plan to change out the albums every few weeks

How much screen real estate do you have in that rig? I'm drooling...
Btw, love the Dave Brubeck and K702. They just sound and look amazing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.