Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
IMG_0758.jpeg

The mini itself is hidden inside the desk.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
Awesome set-up!

What ports are your four monitors connected to? (I currently have three 27" NEC 2k monitors to migrate).

Wonder how the new Mac Mini would stand up against my current 2012 Mac Pro 6-core with things like Photoshop? Getting tired of waiting on the Modular Mac Pro - I have been waiting on it longer than a collusion investigation to wrap up!

Thanks! I'm using 3xDP@60Hz and 1xHDMI@30Hz (EDIT: 1xHDMI@60 Hz)

Whenever the modular Mac Pro comes, I'll be a buyer for that. I considered buying a 2012 Mac Pro but to me the processors, memory bus, chipsets, etc seemed undesirable compared to a brand new mini. If I had already owned a 2012 Mac Pro I would have waited, but in my case I'm coming off a Hackintosh.

Meanwhile the mini doesn't have ECC memory, you have to buy a TB3 enclosure any time you want to add a PCIe slot, its expensive, you don't get top of the line CPUs due to thermal limitations, TB3 bottlenecks the GPU in some cases, and the macOS graphics drivers still have bugs left in them (app to screen positions/bindings forgotten after restart with quad 4k on Vega, initial boot to black screen with eGPU which prevents FileVault, boot to red screen with quad 4k on Vega, wake to visible monitor mode adjusts, eGPU never really sleeps leading me to shutdown overnight instead of perpetually sleeping).

But for now, this system equals or beats the Hackintosh I had, which was nearly as expensive actually. I'm relatively happy.

EDIT: I just figured out how to enable chroma 4:4:4 on my HDMI display and now I'm using 3xDP@60Hz and 1xHDMI@60Hz. It'll be interesting to see if there is any effect whatsoever on the graphics bugs I mentioned above.

Last edited:

-M7-

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2006
This is my setup-- i7/32GB/2TB with Samsung CJ341 Thunderbolt Monitor. Have a Scarlett 2i2 and Klipsch speakers. Not shown are the Airport Time Capsule or the external drives. I also velcro'd a Belkin USB hub to my stand which is convenient. My midi keyboards slide out from under the deck

How do you turn the mini on if it's below the stand and the power button is on the back?

*helium*

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2018
Mac Mini Server (Late 2012), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Fusion Drive 2TB with UpTone Audio Mac mini DC-Conversion / Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK) and UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply and connected to an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

The Mac Mini is mainly used as media sever and roon control, core & output.

DSCF0206 copy.jpg

IMG_4730 copy.jpg

IMG_4731 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
Thank you-not yet. I just set this up today. I got the big monitor yesterday. I need to order it soon.

Reactions: F-Train

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
I really like it. It seems a lot faster than the K 380? when I switch devices. It is also nice to have the number pad. I have have been using small keyboards for quite awhile since I had my wacom tablet on the keyboard tray.

megaseppl

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
Workroom.jpg

Here's my main home desk with some of my computers. In the middle you can see my new Mac mini Kenobi with its invisible Glory Blow Hole (see Mac mini i7 temps thread). On the left is my gaming PC (and Hackintosh) Vader, then my former main Hackintosh Skywalker, on the right invisible behind one screen is my home server C3PO, in front of the screen my little good old Macbook Air Leia.

Oh, the light is purple, which means that both, Skywalker and Vader are on. If only Vader is on, the light in the room is red, if Skywalker is on, it's blue. If they are both on - it's purple.

m0nkeyb0y

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
View attachment 809727

Here's my main home desk with some of my computers. In the middle you can see my new Mac mini Kenobi with its invisible Glory Blow Hole (see Mac mini i7 temps thread). On the left is my gaming PC (and Hackintosh) Vader, then my former main Hackintosh Skywalker, on the right invisible behind one screen is my home server C3PO, in front of the screen my little good old Macbook Air Leia.

Oh, the light is purple, which means that both, Skywalker and Vader are on. If only Vader is on, the light in the room is red, if Skywalker is on, it's blue. If they are both on - it's purple.
What's the program running on your ipad mini? Looks like an external full-screen touchbar, or control system, or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.