Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chiromac81

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2018
Ontario Canada
I know I posted back on page 2, but I ran across this older picture that shows off the room we use as a home office (we both work from home), and the approach I took to keeping everything at table top or below (except for the monitors) so as to maximize the windows and view outside. Since it was taken, the left monitor was replaced by a 43" monitor and the stand removed. In this pic, there's a second mini that's hidden behind the chair.

There's a networked Color Laser printer/scanner/copier to the right of my desk (wife's desk is peeking into view next to it) and server in the corner. There's almost a foot of space between the back side of everything and the walls so I can get behind the desks and run all the wires, etc out of sight and keep visual clutter in check.

lrXI72D.jpg

The glare in that room on the screen would drive me crazy

Reactions: jagooch

SpacemanSpiffed

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2013
Pacific NW
The glare in that room on the screen would drive me crazy

True that. Luckily, I'm in Seattle. That was one of the 3 days a year it's not overcast and gloomy. :)

Actually, it's only early morning and a small window* in the summer afternoons when the sun is directly on the screens or glass desk and when it does, I go do something else lest I be blinded. That pic is probably from 9am in the summer.

* asterisk because due to steep terrain, once the afternoon sun drops below 45 degrees or so, it's actually in shade.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
I run it at it's full 3840x2160 res mostly.

Hiya,

I have been asking around for a few weeks now, reference the eGPU stuff. For instance on the Affinity Photo forum the consensus seems to be that with software upgrades AP1.7 due shortly my thought of jumping from old MacPro (late2013) to Mac mini +eGPU would be a costly waste. My finances are V Tight.

With that in mind you have obviously justified the expense so may I ask how you expect to see an improvement and it what particular part of your work flow you expect it to appear?

Regards

Reactions: DeepIn2U

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
Nice setup, what's the photo software you're using there?
I'm thinking about replacing my 2010 iMac with a mini and external display...

That software is ON1 Photo Raw 2019 version. It's a good all around editor.
[doublepost=1546460958][/doublepost]
Hiya,

I have been asking around for a few weeks now, reference the eGPU stuff. For instance on the Affinity Photo forum the consensus seems to be that with software upgrades AP1.7 due shortly my thought of jumping from old MacPro (late2013) to Mac mini +eGPU would be a costly waste. My finances are V Tight.

With that in mind you have obviously justified the expense so may I ask how you expect to see an improvement and it what particular part of your work flow you expect it to appear?

Regards

I chose to go with a mini and eventually the eGPU to replace an aging iMac. I wasn't interested in going with an all in one machine again. I've only had the eGPU for a few days - but there is noticeable improvement with brushes, clone stamp, adjustments and other processes that can utilize the eGPU. So, justified it is :)

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Hiya,

Regards
Doh, I just bought Affinity photo and design yesterday :/. Oh well, it fits my needs as it isn't as powerful as photoshop, but it is tons cheaper and has the basics I need (like straighten, select/copy/paste to new, etc). I scroll through thousands of photos and it can get bogged down with thumbnails. That said, I only have 8gb ram and this is probably pushing it. I'll be upgrading to 32 this month/next month so it will be interesting to see if it helps with the scrolling/thumbnail issue without having to go egpu. I will say it is totally usable for me even the way it is now.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Thanks. I have the Schiit Vidar amp too. KEF Q350 and SVS SB-1000 sub for my speakers. This the best setup I've had to date. I noticed some other audiophiles posting their setups here too. Nice to see.

Too bad Schiit doesn't offer a space gray option. ;)

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Selecting and editing code is self torture with trackpad.

Mouse is more precise. Even Shift + arrows is better than trackpad for me, and I am not even that much of a keyboard ninja.
I feel like the only person who hates Apples mice and trackpad. The Magic Mouse is incredibly difficult to use vs a traditional left and right click mouse. Don't even mention the trackpad. I had it with my previous iMac and it just didn't feel right for 99% of things I did. I just bought a 'high-end' mouse (for Logitech at least) and it's amazing. No regrets. I will never use an Apple gesture mouse.

Reactions: Synchro3

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I feel like the only person who hates Apples mice and trackpad. The Magic Mouse is incredibly difficult to use vs a traditional left and right click mouse. Don't even mention the trackpad. I had it with my previous iMac and it just didn't feel right for 99% of things I did. I just bought a 'high-end' mouse (for Logitech at least) and it's amazing. No regrets. I will never use an Apple gesture mouse.

I am here to pat you on the back and say: “It’s OK, I hate the Magic Mouse, too.”

I hate the Apple Keyboard, too. I cannot live without mechanical keyboard, you will take my clicky keys from my cold dead hands.

Trackpad is OK, I guess, but I am not crazy for it, as I don’t need it.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I don't like my husband's Magic Mouse. I had the first Magic Trackpad and it was truly awful. But the Magic Trackpad 2 is completely different and very nice, especially if you have limited room - I have a keyboard tray that is not overly huge.

SpacemanSpiffed

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2013
Pacific NW

You're not the only one. I can't use a trackpad despite years of occasional exposure. If I didn't have a wireless traditional 2 Button (+Wheel) mouse, I'd be in big trouble.

Reactions: StellarVixen

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I am here to pat you on the back and say: “It’s OK, I hate the Magic Mouse, too.”

I hate the Apple Keyboard, too. I cannot live without mechanical keyboard, you will take my clicky keys from my cold dead hands.

I don't like my husband's Magic Mouse. I had the first Magic Trackpad and it was truly awful. But the Magic Trackpad 2 is completely different and very nice, especially if you have limited room - I have a keyboard tray that is not overly huge.

You're not the only one. I can't use a trackpad despite years of occasional exposure. If I didn't have a wireless traditional 2 Button (+Wheel) mouse, I'd be in big trouble.

Good to know it's not just me! A reasonably nice traditional mouse (with several customisable buttons ideally) and a gen 1 magic (I think) keyboard from my old 2011 iMac are perfect for me. Wouldn't change a thing. Plus, the new Magic 2 keyboard is £100 here in the UK. £100!!!!

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014

These were my Apple keyboards in 2006. I still use them now.

Foto.jpg

Almogos

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Such a great thread! one of my favorites. So much inspiration!

Here's my setup:

Mac mini (Mid 2011)
  • 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
  • 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB
  • 1TB 7200RPM WD Black + 128GB SSD OWC
  • Magic Mouse
  • Feenix Autore Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Blue Switches
  • 3TB WD My Book + 1 TB My Passport For Mac
  • Asus External DVD Drive
  • Just a regular 24" LED display

AirPort Extreme

iPad Mini 2

MacBook Pro 13" 2016
  • 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i5
  • 16GB RAM
Apple Watch 1st Gen

Bose QC 35 II

Picture taken using my iPhone 7 ;)

IMG_3638.jpg

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Such a great thread! one of my favorites. So much inspiration!

Here's my setup:

Mac mini (Mid 2011)
  • 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
  • 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB
  • 1TB 7200RPM WD Black + 128GB SSD OWC
  • Magic Mouse
  • Feenix Autore Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Blue Switches
  • 3TB WD My Book + 1 TB My Passport For Mac
  • Asus External DVD Drive
  • Just a regular 24" LED display

AirPort Extreme

iPad Mini 2

MacBook Pro 13" 2016
  • 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i5
  • 16GB RAM
Apple Watch 1st Gen

Bose QC 35 II

Picture taken using my iPhone 7 ;)

View attachment 813925
+1 for Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Reactions: opeter and Almogos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.