Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
You mean it is not common to have a Reverse Polish Notation calculator :)

View attachment 1977185

I have an HP48 GX somewhere in the house too.

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 12.28.17 PM.png

Reactions: richmlow and gank41

Beefbowl

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2021
I’ve been a big fan of this thread for inspiration, even if occasionally it inspires me with really neat-looking monitors not sold in my country. :) I finally have a desk with an adequate amount of coziness to share!

IMG_0119.jpeg

This is my fourth Mac mini since 2006 and there's also a Surface Pro in there. And don't worry, I never actually light the candle. It's just there to be pretty.

Looking at things from this angle, I really need to hide the ethernet cables. And maybe put a white sleeve around the power cables. My excuse here is going to be that I don't see them when I'm sitting down.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I’ve been a big fan of this thread for inspiration, even if occasionally it inspires me with really neat-looking monitors not sold in my country. :) I finally have a desk with an adequate amount of coziness to share!

View attachment 2031196

This is my fourth Mac mini since 2006 and there's also a Surface Pro in there. And don't worry, I never actually light the candle. It's just there to be pretty.

Looking at things from this angle, I really need to hide the ethernet cables. And maybe put a white sleeve around the power cables. My excuse here is going to be that I don't see them when I'm sitting down.
top of that xbox looks a bit dusty. I guess that's why I see filters being sold for it on amazon.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
looks like you use Growly Notes... :)

I've used it since around 2008 and I stored my engineering notes on it until 2020. I continue to store a lot on it: taxes, medical stuff, records, even receipts. I use iCloud Notes for stuff that I need faster access to on the iPad, iPhone and Macs but the heavy-duty stuff is on Growly Notes. It doesn't get a lot of attention but I think that it's a great program.

Reactions: loby

Beefbowl

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2021
top of that xbox looks a bit dusty. I guess that's why I see filters being sold for it on amazon.

I have a solution for that! I have a white dbrand skin that I have been putting off applying. With that in place I shouldn't be able to see the dust much at all.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Here’s my setup! Mac Mini is of the 2018 i7 vintage. Monitor is a Dell UP2715K, which I have a hard time justifying replacing for a Studio Display of the same size, as much as I want to. Would buy a Pro Display XDR in a heartbeat if it had speakers (and a webcam). (And I realize I’d have to get a new Mini.)

The Mini is hidden behind the monitor on a generic stand purchased from Amazon. The cables go under the desk to a ventilated cabinet space that has a dock, UPS, and things of that nature (can post pictures if interested, but it is ugly).

Mouse is a Logitech Anywhere, which I much prefer to the Magic Mouse.

This is a WFH setup… the desk phone talks to my Mac. So I can dial out using my Mac, and for incoming calls I get a notification on the screen — and if it’s a client, relevant information (some AppleScripting between Phone Amego and my FileMaker database… Voip service is through Phone.com).

Webcam is a Logitech. Gets the job done. Off center because I sit off center. I essentially divide the monitor space into 9’s, with the left 4/9’s being my main “screen” (that I’m centered in front of), the right 4/9’s being the secondary “screen,” and the far right 1/9 being primarily unused. I’ve tried a 50/50 setup, but don’t like it.

Finally, scanner is a non-TWAIN Fujitsu business model, which I use via fScanX. Don’t use it as much these days, but it’s handy.

(Pencil and pencil sharpener because I’m Old School.)

Attachments

• 79B4F5D6-7C88-42C9-9F2A-DEF09D31ED38.jpeg
    79B4F5D6-7C88-42C9-9F2A-DEF09D31ED38.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 326
  • 8F3DBB0E-BFDE-470D-BB79-81185D076737.jpeg
    8F3DBB0E-BFDE-470D-BB79-81185D076737.jpeg
    508.7 KB · Views: 331
  • 3E0FEDBE-BA29-425A-B6B6-F2998BEA4286.jpeg
    3E0FEDBE-BA29-425A-B6B6-F2998BEA4286.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 322

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
@MikeDr206 nice setup. What is the remote for? :)

I use a home automation system called HomeSeer, and the remote is used to control two things: a desk fan you can't see in the pictures, and to cycle power to the monitor off and on.

A known issue with the UP2715K is that sometimes the Mac won't recognize it when waking the display up. You can't just turn the monitor on and off, but literally have to power cycle it. This was my lazy way of doing that.

Reactions: circatee

AdrianCobon

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hello,

I am running an M1 Mac mini with two 27-inch 4k monitors. On one side I have an M1 iPad Air and on the right an M1 MacBook Air, both sharing connections with keyboard and mice.

I am a freelance writer and editor, so having plenty of screen real estate available is essential. The iPad has my email up. The two main monitors showcase whatever I am working on. The Air? Well, I have it up for video conferencing with clients and accessing a Windows 10 box with RPD so I can use professional-grade dictation software whenever my hands start cramping up.

I have been an Apple fan since 2009, when I got my first MacBook Pro just to use iWork '09 during college. (The old full screen mode it offered was by and far the best experience for lecture note-taking available at that time.)

What are you guys using? Image of my setup is included.
IMG_0056.jpg

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Nothing flash here, but serves my purposes for now.

DSCF2433.JPG

M1 Mac Mini: 8GB RAM & 1TB SSD to replace an early 2009 Mac Mini (5 GB RAM & original 120 GB HDD)

I like that it runs the latest MacOS, so works well with all websites, and up to date versions of various apps. It is faster to open apps and documents, but once open many do not seem significantly quicker in use, except for Safari, which is much faster.

I don't like that it has a bigger footprint than the earlier form. Also, the M1 is noisier than the 2009 model was (until recently, which prompted the decision to replace it).

Migrating to the M1 Mini from the Time Machine HDD I used with the old Mini using Migration Assistant generally went OK, except for missing some of my Photos library, pictures and other data. I have an external SSD with most of what is missing on it, so will have to work out how to get that sorted.

Installed the latest version of Office for Mac (bought outright, not subscribed)..... I prefer use Pages, but doing a bit of proofreading and editing documents for others it is better to be able to open and work on them with Word.

The 24" 1080P HP monitor is ok for my use for now. I have done quite a bit of photography in the past, but not so much of late. If I start to do more in future a 4K Dell or similar will likely be on the shopping list.

Using a Satechi monitor stand/hub (with USB C connection), which I got when I was going to buy the M1 iMac. A change in circumstances made the Mini a better fit for my needs again, but I reckon the monitor stand works well for me. In due course I might mount the Mini under my desk, which would probably eliminate the noise..... in which case the monitor stand/hub would be ideal.

I also have a four port USB 3 hub tucked away for permanent connections, such as the Time Machine HDD, webcam and UPS monitor.

The Logitech Stream webcam is overkill for my needs, I got on special for little more than lesser models. I do like that it pans as well as tilting, so is more flexible in use.

I like the Bose Companion speakers. They do sound a little more mellow with the new Mini, with a little less grunt. I need to turn the volume up a little more than with the old Mini. Dunno why, but ok for where I am at for now, but if I move into a larger space I might consider getting more powerful speakers.

And yes, that's an old school flip-phone under the monitor, where it normally stays, even when I am out and about. I have never had a smartphone, and likely never will. When I leave my desk I am off line, which is the way I prefer it.

No nice wooden desk..... The cheap plastic topped folding table was a quick and convenient acquisition for the apartment I expected to be in for just a year or so. Now two years on, I guess I will be here another year or so.... Looking longingly at some nice desks at second hand shops, and will likely spring for one sooner or later.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Current M1 mini 16/512 setup is with 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2718Q (27 inch 4k), 1x Dell Ultrasharp U2720Q (27 inch 4k), 1x Dell Ultrasharp U2515H (25 inch QHD). Two monitors are running off of a Plugable 2x4k @ 60 Hertz DisplayLink adapter. I removed my 2014 iMac 27 5k from the desk and am running everything off the mini and I'm rather amazed that everything runs really well and there is no swap. macOS is compressing RAM though. It's basically ticking up slowly. I was using up about 18 GB of RAM on the iMac for office stuff which I'm running on the mini now. One thing that I won't be able to run is my Windows VM (for the weather app).

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Current M1 mini 16/512 setup is with 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2718Q (27 inch 4k), 1x Dell Ultrasharp U2720Q (27 inch 4k), 1x Dell Ultrasharp U2515H (25 inch QHD). Two monitors are running off of a Plugable 2x4k @ 60 Hertz DisplayLink adapter. I removed my 2014 iMac 27 5k from the desk and am running everything off the mini and I'm rather amazed that everything runs really well and there is no swap. macOS is compressing RAM though. It's basically ticking up slowly. I was using up about 18 GB of RAM on the iMac for office stuff which I'm running on the mini now. One thing that I won't be able to run is my Windows VM (for the weather app).
Picture or it's not interesting!

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
A repurposed iPad under the monitor third from left?

It's not repurposed. It's an iPad mini 5 which is my main tablet. I use it as a clock when not otherwise in use as a tablet. There is a large open space in front of my setup and I do timed exercises in that space, either yoga poses or bodyweight strength exercises. There's a barbell/dumbbell set off to the left and a Keiser m3i spin bike further to the left. I take the iPad and put it on the spin bike when I'm using it.

The phone on the right is a 7+ and it displays the weather widget which is helpful for going out for a run. My iPhone 13 is flat on the table though I have a MagSafe stand on the way so that I can use the screen during the day on my desk.

Reactions: tharper
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.