Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I'm so happy with with my Mac Mini setup.
Important things for me are; Audio. I have a past in studio business as engineer and producer, so I like to have quality audio. And my second passion in life is photography so good displays are important.

I live alone, so my living room is taylored for my needs. I have three places at different distances from My 50" TV, 32" calibrated display and studio speakers. I can sit close to the 32" when I want perfect colors for photo editing, I can sit across the room and browse and control the mac on the 50" TV, or I can stand in the middle of the room at my mixer controllers, in the audio "sweet spot".

These three positions each have a set of bluetooth keyboard/mouse so I can easily reach one of them quickly and without sitting down. And I can see the TV from anywhere in the room. I can even pick up calls from my iphone on the mac, and talk to the caller thru my earpods while hearing the caller on my main speakers, like when standing in the open kitchen part of the room.

At the center of all this is My Mac Mini, and it handles everything so smoothly, it's just fantastic. I've been using macs since the late eighties (SE/30), and this is the most powerful and solidly working mac/OS I've ever had. 512GB internal (3000MB/s), 2TB NVMe Thunderbolt enclosure (1300MB/s), 2TB SATA usb enclosure (350MB/s) and a couple of docks completes it.

Also, I really recommend anyone interested in good audio to get a separate USB DAC. A couple of hundred dollars for a so-called 'hifi headphones DAC', and you won't beleive what you've been missing. I'm using a Topping D50. Quite a lot better than most of the most common standard home-studio interfaces, and I've tried a few.

Last edited:

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
My Mac Mini Server 2012 i7 2.3GHz 16GB RAM + HD dock and 2x4T disks (one for data, another for CCC-backups). The server boots from an external NvMe-drive which is backuped to internal 1T drive. Another internal 1T drive still unused. Its running Mojave and has mine and wifes common 2T partition and 1T personal partitions for each. Its connected through ethernet to our home network. This is headless setup without screen, mouse or kbd. I will be replacing one of its internal hd's with a SSD this week so I can free the NvMe -drive to more demanding job. I had a 2014 Mini doing this file server job but when I found an inexpensive 2012 i replaced it.

We have another Mac Mini Server i7 2.3GHz (16GB RAM, 2x250GB SSD + external 1T NvMe) running as our media server and its connected to our AV-receiver which outputs to our TV and projector. I'll post a pic of this one later. Too dark now to take a pic.

Also my wife is running a Mac Mini Server 2012 i7 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM + SSD +2x1TB drives as her home computer. So, you could say I am a some sort of a fan of 2012 i7 -servers. 😂 She used to run the above mentioned 2014 Mini i5 originally but complained it being slow in her work, so I bought her the Server and she has been happy with it.

Tech specs comparison of these 4 machines mentioned here.

Here is the headless file server. First pic when I was configuring it and transferring files, second one shows the setup working:
Serverityömaa.jpg
Mac Mini serveri.jpg

Last edited:

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I am trying to figure out what to do with an M1 Mini. Bought it for my son but he doesn’t use it. So it’s hooked up to my living room tv along with an Apple TV. I can’t figure out what to use it for more than a file server. Seems like a complete waste just sitting there. I already have a MBAir and don’t need a desktop setup.

I am thinking of mounting it under the counter and using a monitor on the bar top but need a solid way to mount a monitor so the cats can’t knock it over.

Anyone do something like this and have something to recommend?

I need it to be a very small footprint because the bar top is only wide enough for the monitor, Magic Keyboard and mouse. The back of the monitor will be facing out into a room so I want it to look nice.

Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I am trying to figure out what to do with an M1 Mini. Bought it for my son but he doesn’t use it. So it’s hooked up to my living room tv along with an Apple TV. I can’t figure out what to use it for more than a file server. Seems like a complete waste just sitting there. I already have a MBAir and don’t need a desktop setup.

I am thinking of mounting it under the counter and using a monitor on the bar top but need a solid way to mount a monitor so the cats can’t knock it over.

Anyone do something like this and have something to recommend?
I use mine as a file server and as our house’s DVR. I use an app called Channels, and use the mini as the “server” for the house. It’s enabled us to just use a couple tv’s and drop the Cable Boxes. Works well!

I’ve been wanting something like a MagicBridge, but maybe with a cushion type underthing. Like this, but on a pillow?

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I use mine as a file server and as our house’s DVR. I use an app called Channels, and use the mini as the “server” for the house. It’s enabled us to just use a couple tv’s and drop the Cable Boxes. Works well!

I’ve been wanting something like a MagicBridge, but maybe with a cushion type underthing. Like this, but on a pillow?

We use Hulu, Netflix and such so I wouldn’t need Channels, but the Magicbridge looks like a good option. I would have to get an HDMI switch since my tv doesn’t have a fourth HDMI.

Reactions: gank41

Beefbowl

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2021
One (admittedly small) quality of life feature I’d like to see on the mini is the ability to power it over one of the TB/USB-C ports. It would make setups where you hang one off the back of a monitor just that much cleaner.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
One (admittedly small) quality of life feature I’d like to see on the mini is the ability to power it over one of the TB/USB-C ports. It would make setups where you hang one off the back of a monitor just that much cleaner.
I feel that if they made this happen, though, they'd just use one of the existing ports like on the MBP & MBA. Then we'd just be losing a port.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
IMG_7388.jpeg

IMG_7389.jpeg

M1 Mac mini 16 GB / 1 TB - Purchased used CA$1099 / US$820

Apple 30" Cinema HD Display - This will be replaced soon, as it has some burn-in.
Club 3D CAC-1510 USB-C to dual-link DVI adapter

Plugable Thunderbolt/USB4 5-in-1 hub (which provides 3 Thunderbolt/USB4 and 1 USB-A ports)

Samsung T7 Shield 2 TB SSD
Toshiba 2 TB hard drive (for Time Machine)

NHT SuperZero 2.1 speakers
2-channel small stereo amp

2017 iPad Pro 10.5"

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Its been a bit since anyone has posted in this thread. There have got to be a new round of Mini setups with the M2 arriving on the scene.

Here is my art studio/business setup. Base M2 Mini is my video editing machine. Here is runs OBS and is capturing a VHS through a semi elaborate chain of devices.
S-VHS Deck -> DVDO VP30 with ADP102 Deinterlace card ->1080p 60hz -> Razer Ripsaw X for video and Behringer UCA202 for analog audio -> M2 Mini.
Captures are saved on cheap $30 used 500GB Samsung 850EVOs in an OWC dual SATA array.
Mini shares the main middle monitor with my Dell and it has its own monitor on the right so I can have OBS run tapes in the background while doing other things.

These are just a couple of neat VHSes I found at an estate sale that I haven't seen preserved anywhere.

My Dell PC (under desk) handles all the 4 scanners wired up and 3 printers. I've had bad experiences with my 2018 Mini running older scanners and printers and just went with a PC. With the ability to add PCIe USB cards it works flawlessly. My old 2018 Mini would be tripping over itself disconnecting or getting interference from the various scanners and printers through the multitude of docks and hubs required to get the USB ports I needed.
Dell shares the main monitor and the vertical left one.

With the dozens of cables required to make this all possible, I don't even bother with managing it.

20230219_185216.jpg
20230219_185226.jpg

Last edited:

Pkupman57

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
El Lay, CA
Ive never showed my Mini setup before. Its a 2014 Mini. A mid-level one I bought new at the time specifically for use in my garage. New house now, but still set up in the garage. Hooked up to 2 20" cinema displays that I got as E-waste from an old job. Speakers are an original set of sound sticks, with USB input.

Second pic just to show that it is, indeed, in my messy garage.

IMG_4102.jpeg
IMG_4083.jpeg

Last edited:

Swissfashion

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2020
Switzerland
5FDDE730-62BE-41EA-B6C7-4D38033825F3.jpeg

Current homeoffice setup. M2 Mac Mini Pro 10/16/16 1TB and Apple Studio Display. I hook up the ASD (manually) to my work Thinkpad during office hours. Both computers connected via ethernet to router. External SSD and external HD plugged into the Mac Mini, as well as a Scansnap scanner. Laser printer is connected wirelessly. reMarkable2 tablet for notes and annotating pdfs.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
View attachment 2162364
Current homeoffice setup. M2 Mac Mini Pro 10/16/16 1TB and Apple Studio Display. I hook up the ASD (manually) to my work Thinkpad during office hours. Both computers connected via ethernet to router. External SSD and external HD plugged into the Mac Mini, as well as a Scansnap scanner. Laser printer is connected wirelessly. reMarkable2 tablet for notes and annotating pdfs.
That's very nice. What are you using for the bias lighting behind your monitor?

Reactions: Swissfashion

vded

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
Cool.

You can calibrate your monitor too if you wish, looks like colors a little bit dark, but maybe that's just how the camera sees it.

Maybe it’s from the photo. IRL everything seems fine.
But, out of curiosity, how I can calibrate the monitor? It’s the Dell S2722QC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.