Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Maybe it’s from the photo. IRL everything seems fine.
But, out of curiosity, how I can calibrate the monitor? It’s the Dell S2722QC.
Because you dont work in a darkroom and probably not working on stuff, that depends on heavy color accuracy it doesn't really mater. The standard/default factory calibration will be fine for most tasks.

Reactions: vded

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i had to paint the bedroom in Dec '22 and moved all my active  things here:
The Mac mini shown did not power on yesterday and is ready for the next step.

Attachments

• IMG_1100.jpeg
    IMG_1100.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 254

Mardiel8128

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2023
View attachment 2122974

View attachment 2122975

M1 Mac mini 16 GB / 1 TB - Purchased used CA$1099 / US$820

Apple 30" Cinema HD Display - This will be replaced soon, as it has some burn-in.
Club 3D CAC-1510 USB-C to dual-link DVI adapter

Plugable Thunderbolt/USB4 5-in-1 hub (which provides 3 Thunderbolt/USB4 and 1 USB-A ports)

Samsung T7 Shield 2 TB SSD
Toshiba 2 TB hard drive (for Time Machine)

NHT SuperZero 2.1 speakers
2-channel small stereo amp

2017 iPad Pro 10.5"
What is a time machine?
Your Plugable Thunderbolt/USB4 wich brand is?

Mardiel8128

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2023
Ive never showed my Mini setup before. Its a 2014 Mini. A mid-level one I bought new at the time specifically for use in my garage. New house now, but still set up in the garage. Hooked up to 2 20" cinema displays that I got as E-waste from an old job. Speakers are an original set of sound sticks, with USB input.

Second pic just to show that it is, indeed, in my messy garage.

View attachment 2161906 View attachment 2161907
excuseme why use a wired keyborad and not a wireless?

watakoola

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Australia
I often see people touting the benefits of wireless keyboards. With a Mac mini, does it make any difference using wired or wireless? Curious...

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
I often see people touting the benefits of wireless keyboards. With a Mac mini, does it make any difference using wired or wireless? Curious...
With wired you will avoid the lag when rebooting and waiting for Bluetooth keyboards and mice/trackpads to be available for use. Also a wired connection is a more reliable connection and no recharging of batteries. Personally, I prefer wireless.

Reactions: opeter

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
With wired you will avoid the lag when rebooting and waiting for Bluetooth keyboards and mice/trackpads to be available for use. Also a wired connection is a more reliable connection and no recharging of batteries. Personally, I prefer wireless.
what lag? am not experiencing any lag with my mouse or keyboard connecting.

it's simple: some people prefer less wires, others prefer not having to charge anything. whatever works for you, works for you.

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
I only need to plug my Apple Wireless Keyboard in to charge (overnight) maybe once every 5-6 weeks.

Sometimes it’s necessary to be plugged in when booting up initially to get to Bootcamp or Options. But TBH, I think that actually (magically?) work wirelessly now, too?

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
what lag? am not experiencing any lag with my mouse or keyboard connecting.

it's simple: some people prefer less wires, others prefer not having to charge anything. whatever works for you, works for you.
When I reboot I have to sit there and wait about 5 seconds for my Bluetooth devices to wake up

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I hate the clutter of wires... but since everything in my home office is "fixed", location-wise, so a wired keyboard isn't that big of a deal to me... but my mouse must be wireless - no other option for me.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I was stating that the wired devices would not have that delay in context to the difference between wired and wireless on the Mac mini.
got it... now. seemed you were complaining about waiting 5 seconds for bluetooth devices to connect.

anyway, for me, less wires (ie less clutter) just feels better. but we have options, and that's great too 👍

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
got it... now. seemed you were complaining about waiting 5 seconds for bluetooth devices to connect.

anyway, for me, less wires (ie less clutter) just feels better. but we have options, and that's great too 👍
I agree - I stay wireless and only wired when charging. I now have a cleaner desk setup too with my M2 Pro Mac mini hidden out of the way using a Satechi mount attached to the wall behind my desk. Now it looks like an iMac setup again - LOL

Reactions: fisherking

fishingfromakay

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
I have Logitech Mouse, Keyboard. I like them both. I like having less wires with the keyboard and I dont notice any performance difference and the battery last a long time. I like a wireless mouse because I may use it on either the left or right side of the keyboard and doing this with a wire is a pain for me. Good luck with your decision.

watakoola

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Australia
I have Logitech Mouse, Keyboard. I like them both. I like having less wires with the keyboard and I dont notice any performance difference and the battery last a long time. I like a wireless mouse because I may use it on either the left or right side of the keyboard and doing this with a wire is a pain for me. Good luck with your decision.
Lots of comments pro and con. Interesting.

Seeing as I succumbed to idle curiosity to ask, I suppose I should throw out my opinion as to why I ‘prefer’ wired.

I use a (now very) old mechanical DAS keyboard and have always used wired keyboards as I usually sit at a desk. I see no benefits (for me) going wireless as the cable just goes under my display shelf and ‘disappears’.

As always, people should use what suits them and not try to throw their preferences as the ‘only way’ to do things.

Reactions: bandits1

colinsky

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2009
Keyboard and mouse preferences are idiosyncratic. I love the wireless Apple Magic Keyboard, but no wireless mouse has ever worked out for me. Too laggy when I'm working in Photoshop. A wired mouse on the right-hand side of the keyboard, and a wireless Apple trackpad on the left side side.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Keyboard and mouse preferences are idiosyncratic. I love the wireless Apple Magic Keyboard, but no wireless mouse has ever worked out for me. Too laggy when I'm working in Photoshop. A wired mouse on the right-hand side of the keyboard, and a wireless Apple trackpad on the left side side.
i have never experienced anything remotely 'laggy' with the magic mouse 2 and logic or final cut. where i go, the cursor goes. have you ever tried to adjust tracking speed? just curious...

Reactions: AZhappyjack

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I already had a wireless keyboard when I picked up the Mini. Lack of real consensus (online and by Genius' at Apple Store) as to whether MacOS / Mini would 'see' the keyboard at initial boot, for inputting information. So my purchase contingent on being able to do initial setup at Apple Store and with them supplying monitor and wired keyboard and mouse. Which they did. Once setup, it easily recognized the wireless keyboard (which I brought along - Logitech K380) and USB wireless mouse.

But given the uncertainty - and if some 'issue' requires that I do a fresh boot someday - I picked up a cheap Value Village wired keyboard and stuffed it in the closet for Just In Case.

But I like the wireless from a cosmetic - as well as operational - POV. Also leaves one more port on Mini (or a hub) available.

Reactions: fisherking

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Just got an M2 Mac mini (16/512), docked with a Qwiizlab UH25 Pro hub (2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe and a 2TB Samsung 870 SSD). The mini is replacing a Hackintosh (i7-9700, 32GB RAM, Radeon 5700XT) and so far I'm pretty impressed.

The mini is marginally faster in some tasks (11% faster when batch processing with MP4Tools, video pass-through but audio encoding a 6-channel stream to 2-channel AAC) but the thing that impresses me is that it uses about 70% less power while doing so, and is totally silent. My Hackintosh has a bunch of Noctua Chromax fans - I chose them because they're really quiet - but even still, it's much louder than the mini. Anyway, with the cost of electricity going through the roof, the mini's efficiency is very welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.