Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
c802ad9c0f88ef3c6e71c5e2300c04eb.jpg

New setup in the new house

I would love this display as an iMac.

Last edited by a moderator:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I would love this display as an iMac.
Those old Cinema displays were sure nice, I'd love to see a 30 incher used as an iMac display. Don't know why Apple decided to discontinue them, before you could get a Mac mini and have the whole setup be Apple equipment, or Apple augments to your other setups.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Really dug out the past pictures to compare with the present - not a lot has changed really, though there are the relatively recent additions of the Philips Hue Playbar and LG Ultrafine monitor.

On my (Ikea Linnmon/Adils) desk currently: Blackmagic eGPU, generic laptop stand, 2016 13" MacBook Pro, LG Ultrafine 5K, Ikea Forsa lamp with Hue bulb, Hue Playbar, Sonos Play:5, generic Qi charger, Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad 2, Magic Mouse, Classicbot Classic! I use a reupholstered Giroflex G64 chair which is a lot more comfortable for longer work sessions than anything I've used in the past.

I guess it feels like not a lot has changed over the years, but only the Magic Mouse (I've used the same Magic Mouse since 2009) and corkboard remain.

Looks pretty sweet! I love how you kept upgrading your chair lol.

Reactions: cambookpro

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Those old Cinema displays were sure nice, I'd love to see a 30 incher used as an iMac display. Don't know why Apple decided to discontinue them, before you could get a Mac mini and have the whole setup be Apple equipment, or Apple augments to your other setups.

Man I would love to get my hands on a set of those Aluminum 30” cinema displays. My set of 23” acrylic ADC is the closest I get at the moment but that generation of aluminum cinema displays are so nice.

One at a time I guess. 😀

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Man I would love to get my hands on a set of those Aluminum 30” cinema displays. My set of 23” acrylic ADC is the closest I get at the moment but that generation of aluminum cinema displays are so nice.

One at a time I guess. ?
My main problem is storing them. I've already got so much stuff, and that 30" is really a beast. I would have to move some other stuff into my shed, which I don't like to do.

My dream would be to hook up two at the same time fore 60" of screen.

Reactions: 1042686

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
A few new pics from my setup. Mainly use the Mac mini tucked under the MacBook Pro

View attachment 882880

View attachment 882881

View attachment 882882

This setup looks SO cozy.
[automerge]1577010945[/automerge]
I recommend learning on a full size keyboard with weighted action. It’s ultimately easier IME to learn on a full-size 88 keyboard and then to smaller keyboards than the other way round. Full size keyboards also aid in the development of your hand muscles, memory & dexterity.

With that being said, play on what you can afford that is a full size 88 keys (7 octaves up/down) keyboard. Definitely worth having a kb attached to your Mac. They are lots of fun with apps like GarageBand or its big brother Logic ?

I'd recommend he start on a synth action keyboard, because I don't think he will have the finger strength and muscle know how to get a good and even velocity.

Last edited:

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018

Could you please point me in the direction of that laptop stand?
[automerge]1577011936[/automerge]
Multiple posts.
I like to keep my setup small and ergonomic. Everything I need is easily within reach on an IKEA Idåsen table top.

Today I took delivery of the Herman Miller Cosm Chair, love it! Ergonomically and aesthetically this chair is just amazing. Major improvement for my workflow! I can now easily work 12 hours in a row and feel like I've only just sat down in it.

View attachment 879774

I've never seen a monitor controller by Behringer. I use the Samson C control and their headphone amp. Going to buy multiples because it is such a great controller, but is discontinued. Does the Behringer play the A and B at the same time?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
[automerge]1577010945[/automerge]

I'd recommend he start on a synth action keyboard, because I don't think he will have the finger strength and muscle know how to get a good and even velocity.

I think this is true especially if the student is young or has unusually small hands or is weak. Adults hands have developed muscle tone so what is being developed is muscle strength, memory & dexterity both of which are best accomplished IMO with a full size weighted key board.

Of course weighted keyboards are on the pricier side, so at the end of the day play On what fullsize keyboard you can afford which more often than not are cheaper molded plastic synth keys.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Could you please point me in the direction of that laptop stand?
[automerge]1577011936[/automerge]

I've never seen a monitor controller by Behringer. I use the Samson C control and their headphone amp. Going to buy multiples because it is such a great controller, but is discontinued. Does the Behringer play the A and B at the same time?

I think it is this one (bought it a while ago on Amazon):https://www.amazon.co.uk/BoYata-Mul...?keywords=laptop+stand&qid=1577097093&sr=8-20

I used to have a Rain mStand, but this one can just go a lot higher which is much better when using an external display.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Thanks, the setup is built more around my hobbies than getting work done, which is possible, but not my main goal. The chair is similar to a lounge chair, but with wheels and height adjustment like a typical office chair. Very happy with the setup. The only thing I might add next year is an eGPU for the mini.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
haha.. it's an almost exact copy of the SPL 2Control.. only a lot cheaper. Yep,.. it can play A and B at same time if you wish to. I mostly use it to switch from A to B and I always have my headphones connected. What's great is that it functions as a plug and play USB sound card too. It even has 2 stereo phantom powered inputs. So it does a lot for little money and the AD converters sound flawless. :)

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
My main problem is storing them. I've already got so much stuff, and that 30" is really a beast. I would have to move some other stuff into my shed, which I don't like to do.

My dream would be to hook up two at the same time fore 60" of screen.

And they're extremely heavy..

I like my 30" and I like my 4k the near perfect 5,1 with that a little less perfect 30" just makes me happy. I'm sure I'll eventually just put the display on a shelf but for now I'll pay the extra power

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.