Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedevilshug

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2023
2d341f7422e1c1639510657160ccf92f.jpg

M1 Mini, Siri Remote, Keyboard, Mouse

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
_MG_9927.jpg

From left to right: 2003 iMac G4 running Panther (it's upgradable but I want OS9 to play Myst); 2011 Intel MacBook Pro running High Sierra. Upgraded with a new 1TB hard drive, maxed the RAM, and gave it a new battery; 2020 MacBook Air M1 still running Ventura because I'm waiting on the Sonoma bugs to be squashed; 2021 iPhone 13 Max; iPad 9th generation.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
View attachment 2284159
From left to right: 2003 iMac G4 running Panther (it's upgradable but I want OS9 to play Myst); 2011 Intel MacBook Pro running High Sierra. Upgraded with a new 1TB hard drive, maxed the RAM, and gave it a new battery; 2020 MacBook Air M1 still running Ventura because I'm waiting on the Sonoma bugs to be squashed; 2021 iPhone 13 Max; iPad 9th generation.
Nice collection! Gotta love the vintage Macs! Especially the Intel MacBooks! I have a 13" and a 15" 2012 MacBook still going strong. I had both of them running High Sierra however I had to upgrade one of them to Catalina a few weeks ago because a specific piece of software would not run on HS.

Reactions: C0ncreteBl0nde

Matt Leaf

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2012
IMG_4221.jpeg

super happy with this. my workhorse is now an itx machine, fully compatible with the Studio Display, with the M2 13” a quick change of the TB cable anytime I want to switch systems. I always like having a clean table out from the wall like this too, so anytime I can get behind to the ports or io as needed

but this gen to me this is the perfect balance for todays world. i tried the Mac Studio but ended up doing my first real build in a long time, so much happier

but it’s so cool you can live in this cross pollinated world so easily these days with an Apple display, this setup is an Intel Bootcamp replacement for me basically

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
View attachment 2290569

super happy with this. my workhorse is now an itx machine, fully compatible with the Studio Display, with the M2 13” a quick change of the TB cable anytime I want to switch systems. I always like having a clean table out from the wall like this too, so anytime I can get behind to the ports or io as needed

but this gen to me this is the perfect balance for todays world. i tried the Mac Studio but ended up doing my first real build in a long time, so much happier

but it’s so cool you can live in this cross pollinated world so easily these days with an Apple display, this setup is an Intel Bootcamp replacement for me basically
Love the setup. And real or fake plants?

Mac_MD-PhD

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2020
Beaut
View attachment 2290569

Beautiful set up!

Do you mind sharing the specs for the ITX? I am interested in doing something similar.

Matt Leaf

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2012
Beaut

Beautiful set up!

Do you mind sharing the specs for the ITX? I am interested in doing something similar.
Certainly! primarily the system is built around the Unify ITX motherboard. It has DisplayPort inputs, so you output out of your GPU into the mobo, and then can go TB cable from there. The GPU is ProArt 4070ti, quite cool and sleek. Case is a Fractal Terra. CPU is 12600k, seems to suit my purposes for now and the cooler which is the ghost edition L12 from Noctua. This board can use 13th Gen so that’s cool down the line. Hope that helps!

I do feel like maybe this setup doesn’t give me the best out of the 4070ti, there’s possibly some form of bottleneck from the way the video is routed, likewise the studio display being only 60hz. But I seem to hit a solid 60fps if gaming - higher frame rates definitely are a temptation (as is framegen) to get a different monitor, but the Studio Display suits my purposes well for now.

The Unify though really is the key for this build and compatibility with the ASD, and once I spotted the fractal terra it sold me on pulling the trigger for all the other parts.

Reactions: Mac_MD-PhD

macindork

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
It's been a long while since I last posted but was in here looking for setup ideas and thought I would contribute:

My First Mac (a Mid-2005) iBook:
2005_setup.jpg

In Late 2005 I bought an iMac G5 (and my iBook was replaced under warranty with a base MacBook):
2006_setup.jpg

By 2011 I had graduated to a 27" iMac and a MacBook Air:
2011_setup.jpg

I had a few devices in between (including an iPad Pro and an M1 MacBook Air) but by 2022 this was my setup (M1 Pro MacBook Pro and a 20" Apple Cinema Display):
2022_setup.jpeg

Which brings me to my setup today (an M2 Mac mini, 27" LED Cinema Display, and M1 Pro MacBook Pro):
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 11.44.30 AM.png

Also; classic Power Mac G4 MDD with Apple 17" Studio Display (for Marchintosh 2023):
2023_marchintosh.jpeg

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
View attachment 2290569

Does the Studio Display only have one input port?

Last edited:

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
In Late 2005 I bought an iMac G5 (and my iBook was replaced under warranty with a base MacBook):

View attachment 2303492

Man, I loved this era. There was something about these old polycarbonate designs that I just enjoyed.

I usually sell my old devices, but have kept this exact trio - an iMac G5 20" iSight, the last iteration of this very MacBook and an iPod 5G in black. All are now boxed up in their original packaging. Not sure what I will ever use them for - but just can't sell them.

Reactions: MarkC426

macindork

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Man, I loved this era. There was something about these old polycarbonate designs that I just enjoyed.

I usually sell my old devices, but have kept this exact trio - an iMac G5 20" iSight, the last iteration of this very MacBook and an iPod 5G in black. All are now boxed up in their original packaging. Not sure what I will ever use them for - but just can't sell them.
I would've loved a 20" iMac G5 back in the day. Even with the MacBook and iBook I took the G5 everywhere with me. I ended up selling it in 2009 for $50 after the display started developing lines but it was otherwise a great machine.

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Work computer is a M2 MBP and personal machine is a M2 MBA.
I went with the 28" MonoPrice monitor, USB-C charging at 65w and display extension for $220 shipped with plenty of cables too. It came with a 6ft HDMI, 6ft USB, and 6 ft USB-C. I'm using a shorter (18") Belkin USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) cable with a 90 degree adapter.

Super nice soft/matte screen and plenty of adjustability too.

2TNakJl.jpg

Last edited:

netdudeuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
My new Mac Pro 8.1 came in and really excited to see what the M2 Ultra chip can do! I pretty much maxed it out minus the 8TB option SSD (Went with 4TB instead.)

Before any of you ask or wonder; no I’m not going to keep the 7.1 in my desk setup, I was mainly just transferring everything over and thought it was worth a “shot”. 😅

Hi

I know that it's a bit late in the day but, nice setup. Is that two 200x60cm desks on top of the drawers ? What's the panel underneath at the back ? Another table top cut down ?

Thanks

Reactions: Mezelluf

mstipic

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
Very nice! What kind of stand do you have the MBA on? Whole set up looks very clean...
Thanks, it's a black fixed-height Konsol laptop stand from Amazon.de:

Reactions: macindork and mvdrl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.