Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
2012 MBP
My Desk 3-19-2013.jpg

2012 Mac Mini with OG iPad and 4th Gen iPad Touch
My Desk 5-6-2012a.JPG

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
This is my basis Mac mini setup (it's under the laptop on the desk). The top screen is being fed by an iPad, but share the same mouse and keyboard as the mini. I have a lot of audio stuff off to the right, but it's not pictured.

The desk is a 42x30 uplift desk (looks smaller in pic thanks to wide angle). Door behind monitor is a closet.

53060009741_c75f6a64aa_o.jpg

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
is that Venetian plastering or a vinyl?
It's actually slabs of quartz. The desk surface is that quartz, as is the back of the nook both above and below the desk surface. We used quartz for the kitchen counters and backsplash, so we continued it in the kitchen nook.

The pattern is Calacatta Gold, more or less like this:

calacattagoldpic.jpg

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
are those USB-C outlets between the 110’s?
Good catch.

Left is the volume control knob for the kitchen's in-ceiling speakers (with amplifier housed in the cabinet above).
Middle is electrical with 2 x USB-C.
Right is 2 x CAT6.

For the USB-C, I didn't get the high wattage power delivery model because people were complaining about compatibility issues with certain Apple products, and I was a little worried about the heat generated. It's an Eaton Class 2 5V 5A model, so up to 25 Watts, but it doesn't specify what that means. I'm guessing that means 12 or 15 Watts max per port. I believe these things cannot output 25 Watts from one port without power delivery.

Anyhow for the time being, it's just charging iPads and iPhones and very occasionally maybe a 12" MacBook (see below), so it should be OK. If I ever have the need for more power, I'll just swap a PD model in once the technology matures a bit more.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 10.15.52 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 10.09.55 PM.png

Last edited:

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
TX
@EugW I like all of that nook & was surprised after buying a 2021 built semi-custom home last Sept that it didn’t have USB in the 110s @ a min. About to green light a whole home NG gennie install and need to get a quote on installing some USB-C outlets.

Reactions: EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
@EugW I like all of that nook & was surprised after buying a 2021 built semi-custom home last Sept that it didn’t have USB in the 110s @ a min. About to green light a whole home NG gennie install and need to get a quote on installing some USB-C outlets.
I looked up NG Gennie and got a link to some Chinese woman's instagram. :p It took me a while to figure this out, but do you mean natural gas generator? Or something else?

USB-C outlets are considerably more expensive than regular outlets, so from my understanding they typically are not included, at least around here (Toronto). So for my kitchen reno, I specifically asked for a few to be put in, in that nook and under the counter of the kitchen island where the seating is located. However, since the kitchen island is grey, I ordered grey ones... 3 months ago, but they're still backordered. Regular and GFCI Eaton outlets in grey were easy to get, but dual USB-C in grey is a real big pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: NOTNlCE and Agile55

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
TX
My bad, yes NG gennie = nat. gas generator & will check w/ my elect. contractor for 2 USB-C/110 outlets for the kitchen (perhaps master bedroom) as he was already installing a motion flood near the gennie.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
My bad, yes NG gennie = nat. gas generator & will check w/ my elect. contractor for 2 USB-C/110 outlets for the kitchen (perhaps master bedroom) as he was already installing a motion flood near the gennie.
According to what I read online, my Eaton 2 x USB-C 5A 5V 25 W outlet will charge 5V 3A for the first port, and 5V 2A for the second port, for a total of 15 + 10 Watts = 25 Watts.

However, there is a Leviton 2 x USB-C 6A 30 Watt outlet with Power Delivery that can support 30 W with just one port (including with a MacBook Air), or 15 Watts each for two ports.

There is also a Leviton 2 x USB-C 6A 60 Watt outlet available. This is supposed to support 60 Watts over a single port, but this is the one where I read about compatibility issues (including with several Apple products). Apparently there is incomplete PD support, with negotiation problems at 9V, forcing a drop down to 5V.

When I asked the electricians for the USB-C outlets, I was suggesting the Leviton 30 Watt, but they spec'd the Eaton 25 Watt instead, since my electrical install is all Eaton and they generally prefer Eaton. I ok'd that since I figured the Eaton would be similar in functionality as the Leviton, but that isn't the case. The fundamental difference is the Eaton 25 W is strictly 5 V and maxes out 3 A (15 W) for the first port and 2 A (10 W) for the second port, whereas the Leviton 30 W can function with different voltages using the Power Delivery spec, up to 30 W in a single port.

You may want to consider that when making your choice of USB-C outlets.

Reactions: Agile55

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
Well the old lady will be 10 years old this month. MBA 2014 bought new in Singapore for my wife. Passed down through our first daughter then to our second daughter. Finally it got to me three years ago.

It is battle scarred having been dropped several times but it keeps on going.

I replaced the SSD a year ago with an OEM one when the original died and three months ago fitted a replacement third party battery.

Nothing else has gone wrong with it.

I am not a power user and it still does everything I need it to do. I did take advantage of the options at the time so it's an i7 1.7Ghz processor and 8GB RAM. Not too many of those come up for sale used in the UK.

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
Work computer is a M2 MBP and personal machine is a M2 MBA.
I went with the 28" MonoPrice monitor, USB-C charging at 65w and display extension for $220 shipped with plenty of cables too. It came with a 6ft HDMI, 6ft USB, and 6 ft USB-C. I'm using a shorter (18") Belkin USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) cable with a 90 degree adapter.

Super nice soft/matte screen and plenty of adjustability too.

2TNakJl.jpg
That black painted wall section is a nice touch.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
This is my setup. I have my M1 Pro 14" MBP on the right in a 12 South Arc stand, and my 16" 2019 MBP (Core i9) in a Bridge dock on the left. In the middle is my Apple Studio Display. The pine desk is from Ikea (matching pine swivel office chair not pictured).

Attachments

• IMG_7545.jpeg
    IMG_7545.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 135

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
changed the desk around to updated with a MBP M1 (after an ordeal with the first one not working)

Attachments

• 20240306_171539.jpg
    20240306_171539.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
New portable set up that I am trying out, loving it so far. But have to get a case for the keyboard and a laptop bag made for 18" laptops if I stick with this.

Combo touch with MX Keys S and Anywhere MX2 mouse. All for less than a Magic keyboard.

Combo Touch keyboard sucks and I just couldnt get used to the cramped keys. Unless you have hands of a toddler, typing on any keyboard made for a 11" screen will never be pleasant. Plus the keys on that keyboard are a bit mushy for my liking, too shallow for key travel and didn't give enough feedback compared to the MX Keys S. The MX Keys S brought all the joy back and it's a better keyboard and typing experience than pretty much any built in laptop keyboardout there, even the Mac Airs.

I love the case portion of the Combo touch for the kickstand. I've tried to find cheaper iPad cases with built-in kickstands that are as compact and as elegant as the combo touch and there's pretty much nothing out there.

And if you want the comfort of typing on a full sized keyboard, no keyboard case will do. I've done a lot of research on wireless Bluetooth keyboards and I was willing to try any third-party brand. And from my research, the conclusion that I came to is that the MX keys S is pretty much the best wireless keyboard out there in terms of typing experience.

Just as quick to set this up as the magic keyboard of combo touch. 2 secs for the keyboard to connect once i turn it on. Mouse is instant.

End result, far better overall experience. It's not lapable and thats okay. I don't need it to be. Having lapable devices is overated and never comfortable.

Using this because I can't justify getting an ultrabook laptop just for web surfing and emails when the ipad does the job. Smaller screen but the aspect ratio makes up for it. Also the 600 nits is beneficial. I've looked and you can't find a single ultrabook today that can match the Pro 11 for 600nits. Also the aspect ratio on the ipad is killer for vertical space when doing this. Prefer 4:3 over 3:2, 16:10 and definitely 16:9. Can't find any laptops with 4:3 aspect ratio, and the only one in 3:2 is Surface (which I had for many years and sold and don't miss).

This seems to make a good secondary setup when at home when I don't need to run my 5 monitor PC setup. If Im just stopping by the house to reply to an email, I dont need 5 monitors on for it. And my other setup is in bed, cuz I have a monitor there for TV watching including a laptop there for PC use. So this iPad setup works for this use case perfectly. And easy and quick to pack up and set up.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 161512.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jazz1

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
And if you want the comfort of typing on a full sized keyboard, no keyboard case will do. I've done a lot of research on wireless Bluetooth keyboards and I was willing to try any third-party brand. And from my research, the conclusion that I came to is that the MX keys S is pretty much the best wireless keyboard out there in terms of typing experience.
Cool setup. I'd argue the best typing experience is actually a bluetooth mechanical keyboard (like a Keychron K2 Pro or something), but I appreciate these are a bit chunky to regularly carry around.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Work computer is a M2 MBP and personal machine is a M2 MBA.
I went with the 28" MonoPrice monitor, USB-C charging at 65w and display extension for $220 shipped with plenty of cables too. It came with a 6ft HDMI, 6ft USB, and 6 ft USB-C. I'm using a shorter (18") Belkin USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) cable with a 90 degree adapter.

Super nice soft/matte screen and plenty of adjustability too.

2TNakJl.jpg

Could you share a link for the monitor please? Do you find it difficult at all to go from a matte screen to a glossy screen on the laptop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.