Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I have both AirPods and PBP and use the PBP for mostly gym/running activities because of how secure it is..

Not sure if anyone has issues talking to people while using the PBP. For example, making payments while speaking to the cashier.. the PBP has a tighter seal and it's harder to hear as compared to AirPods, which is why I only use the PBP in environments where I don't need to talk to people..

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I just purchased a pair and apple +. With the luck I've had with earbuds it's a no brainer. 2 years is longer than any of my wireless jaybirds headphones lasted and my AirPods are starting to have sporadic problems with the L earbud sounding quieter than the right in less than 1 year (purchased them before warranty was offered.). Crossing fingers!

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
I picked up the PowerBeats Pro yesterday from Best Buy for $169.00 refurbished as the box stated that they were covered by Best Buy.

I purchased AppleCare + from Apple because the 3 months from Best Buy was not enough for me and I now have 24 months for $29.00.

Reactions: dotzero123

beluga25

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2019
Sorry ZebraDude, not trying to troll you, but as a new user I CANNOT find where u create a post here on this page anywhere. Can someone please point this out to me??

beluga25

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2019
Sorry ZebraDude, not trying to troll you, but as a new user I CANNOT find where u create a post here on this page anywhere. Can someone please point this out to me??

Actually, if anyone is reading this, what I'm trying to find out besides how to create a new thread is with my new PBP, no matter which of their tips and any others I try from my collection, I cannot make them quit non-stop volume changing with every even 1mm movement of my head, swallowing, or anything else involving movement or pressure change in my ears. Something is going on with the seal but as to what, I am dumbfounded. I have tons of TW and wired IEMs (I want to use these for running, Senn Momentums TW are my favorite for sound) and regular headphones and have never had this happen. Any ideas? Thank you.

beluga25

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2019
okay, so was continuing to sort through my tips. had also ordered a pack of extra Beats tips for any future losing the originals or wearing out, etc. this plethora, coupled with the Comply and other foams I had in the mix made me miss the smallest single piece Beats silicons. when i tried them they seemed to do the trick. no more changes as i move. now to try listening for a while.

Reactions: dotzero123

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
I have been on MacRumors for a long time BUT I mostly hang out in the Watch area as that is what fascinates me most.

I did have to hold for 30 minutes as the nice AppleCare rep was looking through her instructions on whether I could have AppleCare Plus on refurbished (I believe a customer return as I do not think BB can open up the PBP to truly refurbish them)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 8.27.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 8.27.41 AM.png
    89 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
So I found out the B is just a flimsy sticker glued on. I was pushing the right button to reverse to previous track and found something that was sticking out thinking maybe debris or something. Too it out of my ear and saw the b sticking out on top and some glue. Pushed it back and seems to be fine but considering I only have them since the end of August for the blue pair I am pretty disappointed with the build quality considering they are $249.99 MSRP and paid that

• Sad
Reactions: jbachandouris

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
My biggest issue with them is charging is extremely flaky and the buds have to precisely placed or they won’t charge in the case. This is my second pair and had the same issue with both. It’d be nice if there was an led on the charging case to show each one was connected to charge.

abooch1

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
I have both AirPods and PBP and use the PBP for mostly gym/running activities because of how secure it is..

Not sure if anyone has issues talking to people while using the PBP. For example, making payments while speaking to the cashier.. the PBP has a tighter seal and it's harder to hear as compared to AirPods, which is why I only use the PBP in environments where I don't need to talk to people..

Are you from California?

pgharavi

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2004
Wish the Comply sport buds were included. They fit my right ear (of all things) much better than the included buds.

Just an FYI if anyone is unable to get a solid seal in one (or both) ears.

Reactions: Javabird

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
Love the Powerbeats Pro but after a couple of months I just started noticing that, occasionally , audio will stop from the right one. I can usually start it up again by clicking on the volume button.

Think I have to contact support.

Reactions: EdMan

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I recently got the PBP for $200 Canadian and I'm really happy with them. The design of the Beats are cool in a different kind of high tech way. The curve around the ear makes it more aesthetically pleasing than smaller, oddly shaped competing products.

I've found the Powerbeats are snug even when the hook doesn't fully conform to your ear. I actually like to make them looser so they're easier to put on. This way also reduces pressure on the ears.

That said...

The only thing I'm wary about is the connectivity issues. Sometimes one PowerBeat will not connect (not even pressing the volume button will prompt it) so I need to put it back in the case to reset them. My 1G AirPods did something similar, but only near the end of their 3 year life. I'm wondering if I should just take the battery life hit and go with the AirPods Pro for more reliable connectivity?

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The only thing I'm wary about is the connectivity issues. Sometimes one PowerBeat will not connect (not even pressing the volume button will prompt it) so I need to put it back in the case to reset them. My 1G AirPods did something similar, but only near the end of their 3 year life. I'm wondering if I should just take the battery life hit and go with the AirPods Pro for more reliable connectivity?

Apologies if you've checked, but are you sure its connectivity issues and not just that one of the headphones isn't charged?

I had this issue with Powerbeats where I thought it was connectivity, but turned out one headphone wasn't charging properly in the case as it wasn't quite seated right - this seems to be a common issue.

Reactions: ZebraDude

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Now with airpods pro, i think the fit in ears and the audio quality will be on par
Regret to report that the experience is better on the AirPods Pro since the PowerBeats Pro's passive noise isolation does not perform well and a lot of noise still goes into the earbuds...Although the sound quality is similar (PBP has the same driver as AirPods "Amateurs" 2), there is much less noise interfering with the music and I don't need to crank up the volume so much as compared to the PBP.

pgharavi

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2004
The only thing I'm wary about is the connectivity issues. Sometimes one PowerBeat will not connect (not even pressing the volume button will prompt it) so I need to put it back in the case to reset them.
I had this issue with Powerbeats where I thought it was connectivity, but turned out one headphone wasn't charging properly in the case as it wasn't quite seated right - this seems to be a common issue.

I just had this issue a few days ago. I don't know what caused it, but I suspect it had something to do with my iPhone. I could connect only to my Apple Watch, but not my iPhone. Further, I had to turn off bluetooth on my iPhone to even have the earplugs work on my Watch.

Do you happen to be on the iOS beta? No idea if that's the cause, but it occured after I updated the dev beta to the newest build. Could just be coincidence.

Reactions: ascender

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Apologies if you've checked, but are you sure its connectivity issues and not just that one of the headphones isn't charged?.

Both Powerbeats were fully charged :(

Regret to report that the experience is better on the AirPods Pro since the PowerBeats Pro's passive noise isolation does not perform well and a lot of noise still goes into the earbuds...Although the sound quality is similar (PBP has the same driver as AirPods "Amateurs" 2), there is much less noise interfering with the music and I don't need to crank up the volume so much as compared to the PBP.

I had no idea they had the same drivers. The powerbeats sounds so much cleaner and punchier than my 1G Airpods.

Do you happen to be on the iOS beta? No idea if that's the cause, but it occured after I updated the dev beta to the newest build. Could just be coincidence.

I’m using iOS 13.2 public release.

Reactions: haruhiko

mbg56

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2019
Received my Powerbeats Pro yesterday.

I'm trying to find a true wireless headphone to use in my hobby woodworking shop to listen to music while at the same time providing isolation from things like shop vac and power tools. Currently I use ear muff style hearing protection but they are very uncomfortable especially with eye protection and a dust mask on.

I tried a newer product from IsoTunes called FREE (these were supplied with Comply isolation tips) but even in a quiet room there was no volume until about 1/2 way mark. Next to my shop vac I could barely hear the music even at max volume (the FREE limit the sound volume to 75dB so they can be OSHA approved).

So thought I'd try the PBP since they accept 3rd party tips. Only had about 45 minutes to mess with them but like others out of the box extremely disappointed with the lack of bass and generally poor sound quality. I installed the large tips and still sounded bad so I moved the headphones around a bit in my ears and like magic I found the sweet spot! I needed to reform the wire a bit but it seems to be still dialed in.

Even standing next to my shop vac with the supplied large silicon tips I could easily hear my tunes even though the volume was just above halfway up. Seems the stock tips are isolating noise nicely.

I ordered some large Comply Isolation tips so will try them out hopefully tonight. After ordering I found reviews here and response from Comply-Foam that their tips are not working well on the PBP. We'll see.

Mike

(Added: Well received the Comply Isolation tips and tried them out and they are worst than the included silicone tips. They do less isolation and the sound quality suffers - especially the base.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Javabird
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.