Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
I removed the PRAM battery in my PDQ a few days ago and I've notice some strange issues. Sometimes it won't recognize the PCMCIA card I put in, even freezing up and forcing me to restart. Another weird thing I've noticed is that when I select "restart from the "Special" menu or press the restart key combination, the PDQ shuts down instead of restarting.

Does the PDQ require a PRAM battery to be stable or is this an OS 8 issue? Or maybe something else entirely?

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 17, 2017
I removed the PRAM battery in my PDQ a few days ago and I've notice some strange issues. Sometimes it won't recognize the PCMCIA card I put in, even freezing up and forcing me to restart. Another weird thing I've noticed is that when I select "restart from the "Special" menu or press the restart key combination, the PDQ shuts down instead of restarting.

Does the PDQ require a PRAM battery to be stable or is this an OS 8 issue? Or maybe something else entirely?

It does sound like a power management issue which could have been affected by the PRAM battery removal. I would try the PMU reset key combo shift+fn+ctrl+power

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
It does sound like a power management issue which could have been affected by the PRAM battery removal. I would try the PMU reset key combo shift+fn+ctrl+power

I’ve tried that key combination a couple of times, but it didn’t seem to make a difference. I reinstalled 8.5.1 again today using Apple Software Restore on the PowerBook G3 recovery disc. I already formatted the drive in drive setup, but I selected the erase option in ASR just to be safe. I also updated to 8.6 just now (I was using 8.5.1 and 8.1 before) because I heard it’s more stable. So far it’s been good with reading PCMCIA cards again. I also found out with regards to restarting that I had to wait about a couple minutes after the Mac shut off for it to start up again. This issue seems to have gone away and restarting is back to normal.

EDIT: restarting is only normal if I have already done one restart since booting from a cold boot.

Last edited:
Reactions: AphoticD

randomdamage

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Hi all. Reviving a fairly old thread here... Anyways, just wanted to post that I successfully swapped in a G4 CPU on my original 266MHz CPU card. With the services of dosdude1, I am now running an XPC7400 (specifically XPC7400RX450SK) at 400MHz. The original L2 cache is running at 160Mhz (2.5 CPU clock divider) Woohoo! Things seem pretty stable, though noticeably warmer than with the stock G3.
Very cool.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    178.8 KB · Views: 122

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Hi all. Reviving a fairly old thread here... Anyways, just wanted to post that I successfully swapped in a G4 CPU on my original 266MHz CPU card. With the services of dosdude1, I am now running an XPC7400 (specifically XPC7400RX450SK) at 400MHz. The original L2 cache is running at 160Mhz (2.5 CPU clock divider) Woohoo! Things seem pretty stable, though noticeably warmer than with the stock G3.
Very cool.
That makes my drool... I've yet to check for a service that could do that swap here where I live . Sending the thing to dosdude1 to the US and back would be prohibitive.
Please, from what source did you get that XPC7400 ? From a PBG4 board ?

Last edited:
Reactions: AphoticD

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Very cool.
very awesome to see that sort of swap be done and it working well :)

I had theorised it would work so its cool to see it does in practice :)

a G4 7400 will run hotter then the stock 266Mhz G3 750, so that is normal and do keep it in mind that it does run hotter so if you can id look at improving cooling/heat sinking if possible :)

(I assume @dosdude1 has correctly adjusted the vCore to suit the 7400)

now we just need someone to stick a G4 into a Kanga or a PowerBook 2400c or 1400c G3 CPU upgrade card...

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
That makes my drool... I've yet to check for a service that could do that swap here where I live . Sending the thing to dosdude1 to the US and back would be prohibitive.
Please, from what source did you get that XPC7400 ? From a PBG4 board ?
Still think a Pismo is worth more than the PDQ PowerBook G3.. though my G4 upgrade card is from Wegener Media.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 17, 2017
Very cool.
Excellent work! Next challenge: Leopard PDQ :cool:

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Excellent work! Next challenge: Leopard PDQ :cool:
This has been tried by me on my Pismo with Xpositfacto. Airport doesn’t work, eject icon doesn’t work to eject the disc.. also I may add the 8MB video chip made the experience very unbearable - I imagine on the PDQ Wallstreet it would be worse. Leopard just won’t work well with our PowerBook G3’s, though mine is a Pismo G4. Add all that without QE.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
now we just need someone to stick a G4 into a Kanga or a PowerBook 2400c or 1400c G3 CPU upgrade card...
I have two 1400 PBs with a G3 upgrade and the G3s don't bring much benefit. Not sure what the point of shoehorning a G4 would be since 64MB max RAM and Nubus rather than PCI.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
In my opinion, the Wallstreet is the sexiest, most delicious laptop ever produced. Only the blessed have had the opportunity to type in its unbelievably-delicious keyboard. It feels undescribably great.

Incidentally, does System 7 boot out-of-the-box on it?

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
In my opinion, the Wallstreet is the sexiest, most delicious laptop ever produced. Only the blessed have had the opportunity to type in its unbelievably-delicious keyboard. It feels undescribably great.

I think it's my favorite. Next the Titanium (more for the look than else).
System 7 on it would be fun. Never seen that. There is a long thread on System7Today about trying to run it on a Kanga, not sure they succeded.

Reactions: Amethyst1

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

It came with 8.1, so probably would need some tweaking.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Next the Titanium (more for the look than else).

FWIW and because I can't seem to help going off-topic:

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
FWIW and because I can't seem to help going off-topic:

You know , I only recently discovered (must have been known by Mac network gurus for ages...) that installing AppleShare 6.2 Client (included here, it needs openDoc 1.2 too) gives 8.6 access to Tiger and Leo AFP files sharing, and even to my old MBP 17 " running 10.11 (Tho I don't know if it's running the Maverick AFP server stuff, can't remember if I had done the trick on that one...), From the chooser with IP address.
before that with older version, it wouldn't take passwords longer than 8 characters , so had to use MacSFTP or Timbuktu for file sharing. Not that it's bad, but it's just nice to have the Apple native thing to mount a server, and was the only thing really that bothered me with 8.6 compare to 9.

Note that find was with 8.6 on a Wallstreet, so we can say it's still on topic :p

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I have two 1400 PBs with a G3 upgrade and the G3s don't bring much benefit. Not sure what the point of shoehorning a G4 would be since 64MB max RAM and Nubus rather than PCI.

Yeah! assuming it even works, the 1400 G3 upgrade cards use a clock doubled bus setup like a 9600 604EV setup

and I have no idea how a G4 would play with that!, would still be fun to try :)

@randomdamage im very curious in OS 9 knowing these CPU upgraded OWR machines you will need some sort L2 cache enabler like you do in OS X

so im quite curious if the sonnet software works for it which you can find here http://dosdude1.com/files/macstuff/classicmacos/ce_install_v31.sit

in my experience with a 9600 and G3 beige, the sonnet OS 9 software will still work with even very non Sonnet setups like an Apple G4 ZIF in an XLR8 Slocket

so im very curious to see if it works with your DIY G4 PDQ :) and also im curious if it does, what does it display on startup under the loading bar

a Gauge Pro 1.1/Sonnet metronome and system profiler shots in OS 9 too would be very much appricated :)

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Very cool.
Awesome, glad to see it runs well. My main concern was definitely the cooling, so hopefully it stays cool enough to continue running stably. Very surprised you were able to source brand new 7400s, had no idea anyone still sold them.

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Awesome, glad to see it runs well. My main concern was definitely the cooling, so hopefully it stays cool enough to continue running stably. Very surprised you were able to source brand new 7400s, had no idea anyone still sold them.
Have question too :p
Would 900Mhz G3 750fx fit on these daughter boards (Wallstreet, Lombard or Pismo) ? Given all the dead A1007 iBooks (I have 3 in the closet), could be a source for speedier proc.

Last edited:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
DosDude, on the topic of Processor upgrades - can the Titanium PB G4's processor be upgraded further ?
The later models with the 7451 and 7455 can be upgraded to a 7457, and clocked at around 1.2 GHz.

Last edited:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Have question too :p
Would 900Mhz G3 750fx fit on these daughter boards (Wallstreet, Lombard or Pismo) ? Given all the dead A1007 iBooks (I have 3 in the closet), could be a source for speedier proc.
No, those use the PPC750CXe, which is not compatible with any other system.

Reactions: galgot

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
The later models with the 7455 can be upgraded to a 7457, and clocked at around 1.2 GHz.
Compared to 1.0ghz, is the speed difference something I will see in rendering light video editing ? Also, can you fix screens ? I have a Titanium (2 of them) - one is using a lower res screen and the other one which is the higher res screen has an issue with the graphics chip + other small issues with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.