Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randomdamage

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Progress! I was able to find a copy of XLR8 MACh Speed Control 3.5. Once installed, presto, Altivec is now detected under Mac OS 9! Wohoo! (I can definitely tell the difference running the Altivec Fractal Carbon app)

Attachments

• IMG_9897.JPG
    IMG_9897.JPG
    601.4 KB · Views: 149

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Progress! I was able to find a copy of XLR8 MACh Speed Control 3.5. Once installed, presto, Altivec is now detected under Mac OS 9! Wohoo! (I can definitely tell the difference running the Altivec Fractal Carbon app)
BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THAT APP IT WIPES OUT L3 CACHE

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Where did you get the OS 9 version of this ? I want it, though I will not run it because it destroys and or disables L3 CACHE.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Reviving this old thread once again...

Back in May, I replaced the lid cover on my 13" 250mhz WS, as the adhesive of the metal plate had dry-rotted and the plate fell off (had never heard of that happening or experienced that before). I lost the logo, so I went in for a replacement cover instead, and a generous Redditor sent me an entire 12" passive matrix display. The 12" cover fits on the 13" display (but NOT the 14", for future reference), so this completed that machine once again.

Fast-forward to this week- I purchased a "for parts only" 233mhz Wallstreet PDQ from eBay for $60. It arrived yesterday, and is in, what I would call, very good condition with just a few scratches here and there, and dirty, dirty dirty. As it was complete, I decided to give it a once-over to see if it could be fixed. I pulled the 2gb drive out of it and installed a 100gb drive that was once in my Mini G4 running OS 9.2.2, replaced the paltry 32mb with 256mb of RAM, and it booted right up. The keyboard wasn't fastened down, and playing with the clips, I discovered that someone had pulled them so far back that they became dislodged from their track. I opened it up, pulled off the top case, and was able to fix the right-side clip. On the left side, the top case is missing a very small piece of plastic; sort of an angular ramp; where the spring lifts up, allowing the clip to snap forwards, so I have to carefully and manually clip and unclip this side to avoid dislodging the clip again. Other than that, there were no other issues. The screen is the brightest screen I've ever seen on a WS or PDQ, and the battery holds a full charge. I have another fully-working battery from my 250mhz WS, and the PDQ reports 6:30 of battery time on full charge. Pretty cool. All in all, this is a great looking and performing machine. I have a spare 266mhz card that I'll be dropping into it, and am considering calling on the services of our friend @dosdude1 once again for a G4 upgrade.

Pictures tonight, when I get home from work.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Pictures of the machine mentioned above, as promised, a week later…

I did an install of Tiger on the machine, and replaced the ATI video drivers with the ones from Jaguar that @AphoticD supplied in an earlier post in this thread. I'm also running his Shadowless script, and keep the color depth at 16bbp. The Links2 browser runs great, even at 233mhz. I'm using the machine as another mobile Dreamcast development system, as the Fenix runtime runs at full speed.

Beauty shot (all taken at work, after hours)…

IMG_0737.jpeg

I haven't installed the 266mhz processor card or the 512mb of RAM that I have. Soon...

IMG_0739.jpeg

Two batteries. How cool is that?

IMG_0738.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

Bottom

IMG_0741.jpeg

Last edited:

pc297

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
7457 won’t work on G3’s, not pin compatible.
The 7457 is 483-pin and indeed not compatible with the 360 BGA package of the 750/7400, the 7440/7445/7447/7448 would fit (all 360 CBGA package) BUT the MPC106 bridge on the WS/Beige/B&W is unfortunately incompatible with them...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.