Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
All that I can read where the speculated "PowerBook Duo" appears is "Form Bad Dxx"

Although, the real giveaway is the white background. It's uneven as if a paintbrush were used to fill in the gray spots (albeit very poorly)

Though.... I wouldn't be surprised if we saw one (I want one :D )

marcsiry

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
The image experts are out

'd have to agree; the real tip-off is the space between "Power" and "Book"... (i.e. it reads "Power Book" not "PowerBook" as it should). Great piece of wishful thinking, though...
Uhh, look closer (or, even better, open it in Photoshop and blow it up 6000%, like I did). The "r" blur touches the "B" blur, while the "k" and the "D" are seperated by whitespace.
check_text.jpg

Although, the real giveaway is the white background. It's uneven as if a paintbrush were used to fill in the gray spots (albeit very poorly)
That's the hallmark of JPEG artifacts. An image this small, compressed that agressively, is going to have ratty spots all over.

This reminds me of when the eBay Red Motherboard came out- people found green spots in the JPEG artifacts and immediately started yelling, "Fake!" Even worse, they jumped all over those gorgeous Cube pics, explaining how the lighting was "wrong."

In a situation like this, you can't reliably look to image artifacts as proof of a hoax. Better to attack it on the basis of its viability as a product.

As for me- I'd buy it- to clean up image artifacts while I'm sitting on the subway :)

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Hmmmmm... The photos look nice and it would be an amazing product, but Apple Legal still didn't take off the pictures from the net... Don't know if I'll believe in this... Only time will tell...

aussiesteve

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Brisbane
I think that is the clue that says it’s real. If it said PowerBook then it would have to be a lot bigger.
But think about it, it is a Power Book! Duo. You can read and write!;)
I don’t know about the logo though. Does it say i.

DJ_TRicks

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
USA Baltimore
you do know that apple has been working on a slim down OSX

You know it has been known that apple has been working on a slimmed down version of OSX with all the same graphical interfaces and the new incorperation of the old newton technology makes me wonder what are they gearing up for
i have heard rumors of the g4s being put to a possible alpha hardware stage in apple from a meta developer freind of mine
as a side to the new power macs to come out next year

maybe .... maybe .....
just maybe

MR Lurker

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2002
Adelaide, Australia
Why is the screen blank?

I thought it was interesting, and may be significant, that the screen in the "paperback" mode is blank.

If the picture is a fake, then the authors have forgotten that Apple usually illustrate their products with Aqua running.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
WAAAAA??

that was a sony, dude.

is it a fake? i think i would say, i hope not.

look, apple surely did not create the inkwell technology for third party software makers. or hardwaremakers.

(that was my opinion)

so, i think apple would sooner or later use this technology for its own hardware.

thinking that apple lost some money, they have to innovate again (although this hardware design is not new, acer has this product, i think)... and gain new switchers and make the other users happy.

kperry8

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2002
Re: It's a Fake!

Originally posted by clubsport
Click here to view the Sony Vaio PCG U3

Striking resemblance, wouldn't you say? In fact, it is exactly the same computer as the "PowerBook Duo"...

An obvious fake.

Nope, sorry. Look at it opened up and compare:
http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/PCG-U3/Images/wallpaper_pop_04.jpg

The spacing between then thing's edge and the monitor is completely different. I think this would have requried some pretty spiffy Photoshop work to fake the image from this product.

However, I'm not really saying that I believe this yet... I have no proof against it, nor for it. As you all know, we've seen some pretty good fakes in the past.

Only time will tell I suppose :p

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
I dont believe that that will be an apple product.

Unlike the new powermac pics that some guy released and got flamed for, this has no background, no aqua interface, is very blurry, a icon that looks nothing like apple's apple icon, and most importantly, it really doesnt look like a product apple would design.

"to every truth there is a lie and to every lie there is truth"
I think apple is making a PDA/tablet/cell phone type thing, but this is in my eyes definatly not it.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
In case you're interested, the prior (silver) sony can be found for sale here with a bunch of pictures:

http://www.dynamism.com/u1/main.shtml

I agree that it would have taken quite a bit of work to turn the sony into the picture in question. That said, people have spent plenty of time on much less interesting hoaxes.

I'd buy one.

TM

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Originally posted by dukestreet
The best indication of authenticity is the notification from Apple on the removal of the image. Lets see if that happens. Until then, I'm going to be doubtful.

Heh. If I were in Apple Legal I'd request it be pulled regardless, which they can justify doing on the basis that false claims about future Apple product directions can harm their business both now (people hold off buying to wait for the nonexistent product) and in the future (because the nonexistent product will never appear). But the other reason is that if they ONLY request sites pull the true items, then it does become confirmation, which isn't good.

Then of course, there's the third reason: it's fun to tweak the rumor site geeks, and all it takes is a boilerplate email. :)

pudrik

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Milton, FL
Had me going...

Good catch clubsport.

I admit, this had me going. I wouldn't be surprised to see an apple subnotebook coming out soon - seemed obvious after putting Inkwell in the OS. But this isn't it. The left pic is obviously the Sony, and the right is the same with a black shaded-edge box draw on top.

And of course, if the image was stolen, why would the name be blurred? That's only done by someone trying to tease us.

I'm sure they have a tablet or subnotebook in the works, but this isn't it. sigh...

clubsport

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2002
Guys, it is the Vaio. I've used one, and it looks identical to the one in the PowerBook pic. The pic on the right just has a black box drawn over the top as a screen.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
If it is real, it's an e-book reader / notepad.

Apple's language always means something.

It's a great missing component to the digital lifestyle devices for the academia. It's small, it folds open like a book so it doesn't become unwieldy. It's perfect for students to take notes, and a great way to reduce the amount of books and notebooks you have to carry around. I bet it sends email and has internet access (via Airport), and has a CD burner in it as well.

Text input is done via Inkwell, just like one would take notes in class.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
anyone else remember the agreement between Sony and Apple to share "all relevent technologies"?

could have something to do with this...

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Too bad it's $1700.
damn.gif

But that's partly to install English software, import taxes, etc.
Other than that, if they made it a touch screen and if it flipped around, you've got yourself a little mini-tablet.

Hell, I'd buy it if I had the ca$h. That Sony looks f*cking great!
It's not entirely unfeasable that they're considering something like this, I think there is a market for it, like students who just need a small computer to take notes with, the keyboard looks big enough to type on.
They could even use the Sony iself with Marklar installed.
ppphhht.gif

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: Now if only Apple Would Make This!

Originally posted by lbbinc
This new Sony would be the coolest sub notebook I've ever seen! Now, if Apple made it, it would be a huge hit, especially bundled with iMovie!

http://www.dynamism.com/gt3/index.shtml

Are you kidding? This is the wackist laptop I have ever seen...and I like most of the sony stuff... this is one of those products that does a few different things, but none of them well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.