Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Re: days in cycle...

Originally posted by Bilvox
so I just happened to check this, and seems like we have reached a benched mark,

from the buyers guide for the powerbook...
"Days Since Update: 163 (Average = 163) "

Let's see what next week brings... or at least the next 3 weeks haha.

damn patience!
-bilvox

http://www.bilvox.com/

And so March rolls on, as the hopeful watch with the eagerness of Christmas that Apple will deliver soon. All I can say, is it better NOT actually be Christmas 2004 until G5PBs arrive!

dryvlee

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2004
Singapore
Ordered my 17in 1.33GHz Powerbook on 16 Jan 04, Got it on 13 Feb 04, had white patch so rejected it, replacement received on 16 Feb 04, still has a fainter white patch, send to Apple service centre on 25 Feb 04, got it back on 26 Feb 04, screen is OK now, no dead pixels yet...

Anyway iLife 04 came with the Powerbook on 13 Feb 04.

If the new Powerbook gets annouced next week with a drop in price of the current range, I get my rebate (price protection of 60 days!)

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Re: Re: days in cycle...

Originally posted by aswitcher
And so March rolls on, as the hopeful watch with the eagerness of Christmas that Apple will deliver soon. All I can say, is it better NOT actually be Christmas 2004 until G5PBs arrive!
I wouldn't get your hopes up! We will have an update way before Christmas but it is very likely going to be G4. The next rev after that which will likely be G5 will probably happen around October-December time, maybe even MWSF '05.

We have only just hit the average update interval for PowerBooks and, remember, that is skewed by the < 2 month gap between Superdrive TiBook and new 12/17" PBs in Nov 2002 and Jan 2003 resepctively. So, we could still be waiting another moneth or two or three.

FatSweatyChimp: no PowerBooks will likely be discontinued. If that were the case, you'd get a price drop that was comparable to the nearest model.

Regarding when each of the PowerBooks goes G5, I say that I would bet 99% sure that they will all go G5 at the same time. It would be stupid for the 12 to stay G4 while the 15 or even just 17" went G5. I doubt there will be any noticable form factor change, but it would fragment the line way too much IMO and be a marketing nightmare.

dryvlee

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2004
Singapore
I agree. Usually when a new powerbook model is announced, the older model will get a price cut or even sometimes before announcement. Usually the older model still exist in the distributor chain although Apple has 'discontinued' the production (EOL). For example, when I ordered my 17in Powerbook 1.33, the older 17in Powerbook 1GHz is still available but the price has dropped significantly.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Will Apple continue G4 PB once G5s are released?

Originally posted by dryvlee
... when a new powerbook model is announced, the older model will get a price cut or even sometimes before announcement.
Usually the older model still exist in the distributor chain although Apple has 'discontinued' the production (EOL). For example,
when I ordered my 17in Powerbook 1.33, the older 17in Powerbook 1GHz is still available but the
price has dropped significantly.
Will Apple continue a line of G4 PBs once G5 PBs are released?

YES. I think a line of G4 PowerBooks will continue to sell well.

Although I agree that once there is a bump in G4 speeds, the old line of G4 PBs will disappear, I do believe there is a distinct possibility that
G4 PowerBooks as a separate Line
will continue independently (especially the 15", probably the 12", but not the 17") after the G5s are introduced for several reasons --
• G4 PowerMac 1.25GHz sales and availability have continued even in the face of competiton from G5 PowerMacs. FACT: not everyone wants a G5 PowerPC! There is a market for a G4 PPC especially a Dual (which in many ways gives a single CPU G5 a run for its money!!! I'm not ready to abandon my Dual 1GHz PPC for a 1st generation G5 quite yet; maybe 2nd G)
• not everyone will be enthusiastic about being an early adopter of G5 PowerBooks, too many experienced, cautious, MacAddicts out there...
• G4 PB at a lower than current price would be very attractive to those who want more than an iBook but don't want to pay for a G5 PB; just as
• G3 iBooks at a lower than current G4 iBook prices are very attractive to those who want a laptop but don't want to pay G4 iBook, or G4 / G5 PowerBook prices.
• Dropping the price of the G4 line significantly would be possible because manufacturing setup costs have already been recovered, production at current plant locations is on a groove, quality control problems have already been ironed out, and profit would still be there without any worry about cutting into G5 sales as long as demand exceeds supply
• Apple has to know that G5 demand will completely outstrip Supply so continuation of PB G4 models will fill a void created by VERY HIGH PRICES initially set on G5 PowerBooks for what the market place will allow until supply catches up.
• Reduced G4 PB prices would likewise have a domino affect on G4 iBook prices, making iBooks even more attractive to new laptop buyers, and more competitive with PC laptop prices as perceived by consummers. If this doen't happen for iBooks, what is the reason for their existence as entry level laptops? Apple has long needed a really low priced laptop to attract PC switchers and Mac loyalists into the laptop market. G3 iBook prices are indicitive of what can happen - tons of people are buying under $1000 G3 iBooks that would not otherwise be willing or able to. Once G3 iBooks stop filling that price niche, what will fill the void?

I would love to buy a loaded 15" PB G4 for $1999 instead of $2599, especially if G5 PowerBook 15" are $2999 or higher.

Anyone who thinks that Steve Jobs & Co. is going to introduce G5 PowerBooks at the current G4 price structure with the kind of demand that's so obviously out there, then they must believe that Apple Computer, Inc. is really part of the Salvation Army and is itself a Non-Profit organization. :p

R&D costs for development of an efficient cooling system and case for a new One Inch G5 PowerBook has got to be ugly! and Steve has to keep Apple stockholders happy, so quick recovery of those costs is going to happen. :(

Save your nickels, Boys & Girls, because we are going to need every penny we can scrape up to participate in the next generation of Macs. Financial realities of the outside world may be cold and cruel, but at least there IS a...

Attachments

• macworld_logotext.gif
    macworld_logotext.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,532

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Re: Will Apple continue G4 PB once G5s are released?

Originally posted by MacRAND
Will Apple continue a line of G4 PBs once G5 PBs are released?

YES. I think a line of G4 PowerBooks will continue to sell well.

Although I agree that once there is a bump in G4 speeds, the old line of G4 PBs will disappear, I do believe there is a distinct possibility that
SNIP
• Apple has to know that G5 demand will completely outstrip Supply so continuation of PB G4 models will fill a void created by VERY HIGH PRICES initially set on G5 PowerBooks for what the market place will allow until supply catches up.
SNIP
Save your nickels, Boys & Girls, because we are going to need every penny we can scrape up to participate in the next generation of Macs. Financial realities of the outside world may be cold and cruel, but at least there IS a...

I would be curious to know who else thinks the G5PB will be priced signficantly about the G4s. I know there are R&D costs to recuperate but volume of sales should allow that to be recovered overtime rather than making it unit much more expensive?

Also there has been signficant problems with screen quality for the last 6-8 months, and I think many also question the Rev A bugs, and so will take a wait and see view. Initial sales may slow quickly as many buyers hold off waiting for first reports...

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I wouldn't be surprised to see a small price increase in G5 PowerBooks, if they are signifcantly faster and have more features. It depends on if Apple plops a low speed G5 in there and makes it an extension of the G4, or whether it goes all out with bells and whistles and 2+ GHz and major form factor (major form factor change unlikely IMHO).

I'd be surprised that many people would hold off due to rev A possible problems. People with problems are the minority that you always hear about so it always gives the impression that every unit has a major problem. And us MacRumors people are the minority of buyers out there anyway - there are a lot of Mac buyers who will not have heard about 'white spot' problems and all the rest of it. Just my 2p.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
I wouldn't be surprised to see a small price increase in G5 PowerBooks, if they are signifcantly faster and have more features. It depends on if Apple plops a low speed G5 in there and makes it an extension of the G4, or whether it goes all out with bells and whistles and 2+ GHz and major form factor (major form factor change unlikely IMHO).

SNIP.

Alos the G5 chips are meant to be cheaper - although cooling issues may blow that out (pun intended).

My thinking is that a G5PB should have improvements like graphics card, better screen, bigger harddisk etc because we have moved on in time and these things are now cheaper, so I would be disappointed to see a significant price hike. I think Apple should keep the price lower to keep the market penetration of their laptops/notebooks improving.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I'm going on previous Apple history. For example, the base iBook went up in price (even though the 800 12" iBook G4 is significantly better than iBook 800 G3 CD-ROM it replaced) although the rest of the line dropped in price.

It would be nice not to have a price increase, but, knowing Apple, they could do that. It doesn't make any difference that the G5, etc is cheaper to get, it could just mean more profit for Apple. The marketing gain that they have for saying it's a G5 will mean they think they can justify a price increase.

I agree though, it would be nice to see Apple continue its assault on the laptop market. Certainly they have some nice competitive prices out there at the moment, considering what you get with even the low end iBook.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The Apple store still has all of the Powerbooks shipping quickly - usually, they start to lag to 7-10 business days etc. when they are selling off old inventory.

krisjon

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
2 Weeks from order to receipt on my 17" PB

Granted, I ordered a custom one (just more RAM and the 5400 rpm drive), but it had to be sent from Taiwan and not stateside or Apple Store inventory. It's showing up this Thursday, finally! Not sure if this is normal, but if it's not, read what you want into it about supplies of older stock.

Bilvox

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Boston
Amazon.com price drop

I happened to check on a book I ordered on amazon.com and noticed they are featuring a 100$ price drop on "apple notebooks"
Could this be just another sign? Or more ways to get our hopes up falsely?
With the reduced price on memory upgrades ending at the end of March maybe it will be towards the end of the month before we see any sort of new or reduced powerbook models.
or... tomorrow is the first tue of march...
nahhhhhh
couldnt be
;-)

-bilvox

http://www.bilvox.com

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Bilvox said:
I happened to check on a book I ordered on amazon.com and noticed they are featuring a 100$ price drop on "apple notebooks"
Could this be just another sign? Or more ways to get our hopes up falsely?
With the reduced price on memory upgrades ending at the end of March maybe it will be towards the end of the month before we see any sort of new or reduced powerbook models.
or... tomorrow is the first tue of march...
nahhhhhh
couldnt be
;-)

-bilvox

SNIP

My local place just posted this deal - saving me like $500 AUD on any PB if I buy an 20 Gig iPod (which is my plan anyway)

http://www.macmall.com.au/mall/customer/home.php?cat=379

Not sure if I this means I should buy now rather than wait anything up to 6 months for what might be a tweaked G4 PB Rev C...

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
rog said:
I simply LOVE the new powerbooks that came out last month. They rock!
You must have been one of the lucky few. Like many others, mine was awake all last night coughing up mucus, and I think it needs a new carburetor too.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
iMeowbot said:
You must have been one of the lucky few. Like many others, mine was awake all last night coughing up mucus, and I think it needs a new carburetor too.
Actually the new ones that came out today are even better! I love Apple. Every Tuesday, a whole new reason to get excited and wait for the next one.

JonRaven

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2004
Toronto, Canada
what are you guys talking about new powerbooks this week?

Today is March 31st 2004 and I watch apple's siite everyday and nothing was released yesterday.... what are you guys talking about?

jon

JonRaven

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2004
Toronto, Canada
ohhh...

ohhh.... Ok I was just making sure I didn't miss anything is all... I guess I didn't. I have been thouroughly enjoying my new 1.25 powerbook with it's gig of ram and superdrive... which I bought at the time the new ones were rumoured to come out. I am glad I boought instead of holding out!

I am having a problem with the recent OSX10.3.3 release update though... most of my USB devices have stopped working. Blasted update.

Jon

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
I don't think that apple would announce any new products at the last day of the quarter (mar 31), or april 1 (april fools day). I would guess, at the earliest april 2nd. However, i can't recall when apple announce any news on a friday. Maybe software updates, but not hardward updates. We shall see.

So if there is no news by april 6, then i might start to get a little PO'd

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Yay!! New Powerbooks Friday according to this thread!!

Oh WAIT!!!

The thread says "FEBRUARY" 2nd ... not April 2nd. :D

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
rog said:
Actually the new ones that came out today are even better! I love Apple. Every Tuesday, a whole new reason to get excited and wait for the next one.

You really don't mind carrying around that dewar of helium for the G7 cooler? Mistook the darned thing for my thermos this morning, and wouldn't you know my tongue shattered all over the floor. It was so embarrassing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.