Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UofI MacConvert

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2004
Illinois
Another Hopeful

Well that makes 3 of us waiting for developer price drops. I have been waiting since I decided to go mac in Feb. Does anyone think that only the 12 and 17 will get updates since the 15" was updated later than the other ones? That is what my local dealer was speculating.
I signed up for the developer package so I wouldnt be tempted to get a PC anymore. Now if apple would just hurry up with those updates.
Just another hopeful mac convert.

theISHkid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Moore, OK
What could this mean???

Not to get anyones hopes up but searching around the net at 4 in the morning cst... I went to the Apple web site and went into their support forums and this is what I found at the top of the page...

Tomorrow morning, 18-Feb-2004, there is a planned service interruption beginning approximately 9:00 am Central Standard Time. Posting will be disabled during this time and web service may be entirely unavailable. This maintenance is expected to take at least several hours.
Thank you,
Apple Discussions Staff

So I think this might just be for the support forums of apples site, but from what I heard from other people is that apple generally updates their site starting at 9:00 am. Now this one seems to mainly say that posting will be disabled but also says that the whole web service may be unavailable... So could we see something new to the store later on today? Does this mean anything at all? I guess I won't get too many responses and I'll have my answer by the time I wake up, but what do you all think?

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
I sure hope so. It would be great if hey updated tomorrow, but from what we have head, typically new products are released on tuesdays, so its a little uncharacteristic.

Also, with the ipod mini actually coming out on friday, I am sure they wouldn't release something to overshadow that.

While I hope you are right, and that new items await us, I must say I doubt it will be tomorrow.

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
I want to buy a 15" PowerBook. I dont *need* it right now, so if the updates are coming soon for sure I guess I could wait. When do you guys think they will be updated? Do you have anything to back it up?

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Can you wait...?

Originally posted by Huezo
I want to buy a 15" PowerBook. I dont *need* it right now, so if the updates are coming soon for sure I guess I could wait. When do you guys think they will be updated? Do you have anything to back it up?
Good. :)
Wait. :rolleyes:
Soon. :confused:
No, not really. :p

:eek: Profile, Huezo. Profile. :cool:

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by Huezo

I really wouldn't recommend it now, not unless you need it. It may be a few days or a couple of months until the update is released, but it is coming.

Beck446

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
Yeah this is really killing me. I've got lots of financial reasons why it would make sense for me to buy now. I just can't bring myself to buy one of these current models. Arg!

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I'm ditto for about half the last dozen posts...

I figure February is truley iTuned and iPoded out, so maybe March for my first Mac...

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
Originally posted by Beck446
Yeah this is really killing me. I've got lots of financial reasons why it would make sense for me to buy now. I just can't bring myself to buy one of these current models. Arg!

The only financial thing where you could NOT save your money for a short while longer would be an apple offer, so my guess is that you are talking about apple eduaction program. I am sure they will update soemtime before the summer, and if you are in school, you should be able to wait that long.

If I am wrong, good luck with whatever.

EDIT: Also, as a side note, if you wait, you will only have to wait until the new ones are announced, too, to purchase it. So if Apple decides release the G5 powerbooks in August, they could be announced as early as june. Which would be when you (theoretically a college student) could still get it for cheaper

DieselClown

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2004
NYC
I'm waiting patiently for this to happen. I almost bought a 12 inch powerbook in Jan but heard about this rumor. I recently sold my brand new toshiba laptop 2 weeks out of the box taking an 800 dollar loss but I'm glad I stumbled upon this page before I bought the PB. I just hope now that we receive some more solid information on the dates the updates arrive. I'll be using the PB primarily for writing/editing and would eventually like to get into desktop publishing. I'm beating myself up for not even considering an apple before I dumped my money on the toshiba.

I started out with a 66 mghz apple back in the days. Can't wait to rejoin the apple community.

ciao

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
I would read anything into Apple's forums being down. I'm a frequent poster over there and they are always down for maintenance; must be using Dell servers :p

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
plus, that warning indicator for when it was going to be down has already passed. The morning of the 18th was 12 hours before you even posted that fact!

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
12" PB for desktop publishing? No, go 15"

Originally posted by DieselClown
I almost bought a 12 inch powerbook in Jan but heard about this rumor. I recently sold my brand new toshiba laptop 2 weeks out of the box taking an 800 dollar loss ... I'll be using the PB primarily for writing/editing and would eventually like to get into desktop publishing.
Dude, don't be like a clown at the circus trying to put 6 big clowns in a micro Mini Cooper! Get a Dodge Dorango 15" and put 6 big clowns in it.
Seriously, the screen on a 12" is for portable convenience like a large PDA, not for really serious writing and desktop publishing! You need some middle ground real estate to work with, not a 17" but at least the 15".
Go 15" PowerBook, max it out like the thread says, and buy when you have to if you can't out wait the next release. And, for heavens sake, don't wait for the G5 PB release unless you are prepared for a siege of months, maybe a year if they have trouble getting it right. Tech takes time and work. ;)
Welcome back to Mac :D

Attachments

• red_baron_flying_lg_clr.gif
    red_baron_flying_lg_clr.gif
    15 KB · Views: 1,483

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by DieselClown
...I just hope now that we receive some more solid information on the dates the updates arrive...

I wouldn't hold your breath for more solid dates. They're all just rumors until Apple officially announces them... :D

BowiPod

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
my two cents....

I'm writing a PhD on my 12" and don't have a problem with the screen at all.....

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: 12" PB for desktop publishing? No, go 15"

Originally posted by MacRAND
Dude, don't be like a clown at the circus trying to put 6 big clowns in a micro Mini Cooper! Get a Dodge Dorango 15" and put 6 big clowns in it.
Seriously, the screen on a 12" is for portable convenience like a large PDA, not for really serious writing and desktop publishing! You need some middle ground real estate to work with, not a 17" but at least the 15".
Go 15" PowerBook, max it out like the thread says, and buy when you have to if you can't out wait the next release. And, for heavens sake, don't wait for the G5 PB release unless you are prepared for a siege of months, maybe a year if they have trouble getting it right. Tech takes time and work. ;)
Welcome back to Mac :D

Just for the record, I have a 12" PB that I use for various types of design work, including 3D CAD design, graphic design, web design, etc. While I wouldn't mind more screen realestate, the lack isn't that significant, and I absolutely love the smaller form factor. Plus, when I'm working on something that needs more space, I plug into my external monitor. So, I'd dispute your assertion that the 12" is like an oversized PDA and not suitable to serious writing and desktop publishing.

That said, I got my 12" about a year ago. I had originally planned to get the 15", but I didn't want the Ti, given the price premium. To this day I don't regret getting the 12". I might consider the 15" again when the PB G5 comes out.

ejacob

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2003
Charlotte
New Powerbooks in 2 weeks! FOR SURE

Just got my new 15" 1.25Ghz Pbook.

This makes a new powerbook out in 2 to 3 weeks a lock. It has always been so.

BTW this machine rocks! I loved my pismo but this bad boy is fantastic.

I can't imagine a G5!

To all those who can wait: Enjoy that G5!!!

-EJ :eek:

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Re: Why new books

Originally posted by UofI MacConvert
This makes a new powerbook out in 2 to 3 weeks a lock. It has always been so.

Why does your new book mean there will be updates for sure?

Because that's life :p

Bilvox

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Boston
the wait is the hardest part

arrrgh its so crappy waiting to see what will happen in the next 2 weeks with the powerbook. Luckily I am waiting to see if I get any sort of company bonus to pay for my 15pb, so really i am waiting on that. But as the PB goes I know its near the end of a cycle... but I figure if by 2 weeks time I hear nothing I am totally going to go ahead and order it. Now if only i can wait...
-bilvox

http://www.bilvox.com

Bilvox

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Boston
days in cycle...

so I just happened to check this, and seems like we have reached a benched mark,

from the buyers guide for the powerbook...
"Days Since Update: 163 (Average = 163) "

Let's see what next week brings... or at least the next 3 weeks haha.

damn patience!
-bilvox

http://www.bilvox.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.