Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
What do you know .. .. this morning there are three more refurbed powerbooks that happen to be the most recent version of all three sizes, 1 in the 12 inch, 1.25 in teh 15, and 1.33 in the 17. In case whats his name cant make it to the site in time to believe me today, here it is:

PowerBook G4 867MHz/256MB/40GB/SuperDrive/E/12"TFT - Refurbished Add $1,399.00
PowerBook G4 1GHz/256MB/40GB/SuperDrive/E/12"TFT Add $1,549.00
PowerBook G4 1GHz/256MB/60GB/Combo/GigE/15"TFT - Refurbished Add $1,699.00
PowerBook G4 1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/AP Extreme Card/GigE/15"TFT - Refurbished Add $2,099.00
PowerBook G4 1GHz/512MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AP Extreme Card/GigE/56K/17"TFT - Refurbished Add $2,199.00

PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/AP Extreme Card/GigE/17"TFT Add $2,499.00

This would be the second day in a row they have had the present versions of all three as soon as the morning starts.

Also as a side note, I would like to point out that on the present day model of the 17 and 12 inch models, it doesnt even say "refurbished" next to the price, like it does on all the rest. It says refurbished next to each individual item EXCEPT the present version of the 12 in ch and 17

The header for the PB section says "Units subject to stringent refurbishment process prior to sale. " Well, why would they restate this on every model they "resell", yet not on the 12 or 17 inch of the most recent versions?

Maybe they aren't listed as refurbished for a reason. . . .

Keep hope alive, this is starting to look somewhat promising to me.

hikikomori9000

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2004
The header for the PB section says "Units subject to stringent refurbishment process prior to sale. " Well, why would they restate this on every model they "resell", yet not on the 12 or 17 inch of the most recent versions?

It's an oversight. Clicking on the arrow to the left of the product takes you to a details screen where it's clear that the current generation discounted models are refurbs.

Speaking as someone who had been watching refurb availability throughout November and December, and who couldn't wait any longer and jumped in and placed an order for one of the $2099 refurb 1.25 15"s a week before MacWorld, current refurb availability doesn't seem any different than it has been for the past several months.

My refurb shipped the day before the keynote at MacWorld. It was my first Apple. I was sweating bullets with all the rumors. Right now, I'm sure I did the right thing. I got the laptop a few days after the keynote, and I couldn't be happier with what I bought, when I bought it, and for how much.

No dead pixels. No white spots. No blemishes on the case. Panther CDs were in the box. It's been working like a charm since the moment I bought it. True joy.

Bilvox

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Boston
No dead pixels. No white spots. No blemishes on the case. Panther CDs were in the box. It's been working like a charm since the moment I bought it. True joy.

so... buying a refurb isnt risky? or is it? Is it worth saving a few bucks or knowing where th computer has been from day one?

I am definatly going to buy the 15" powerbook... the only hold out right now is I am waiting until my company does the bonus allotment etc so I can go ahead a purchase it.
I am also hoping that me waiting until i have conformation about any pay increase/bonus will mean that by early March maybe the newies will have a price drop of those detailed improvements macosrumors details and I will have the moola.

all this waiting is nerve racking and I have been reading this thread for a while now... but at least tis entertaining and educational.
cheers
-bilvox

hikikomori9000

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2004
so... buying a refurb isnt risky? or is it? Is it worth saving a few bucks or knowing where th computer has been from day one?

Given that Apple gives their refurbs the same factory warranty that the new machines have, the risk of a severe problem seems to be minimized. To me, the warranty and the Apple-factory repackaging says that the refurbished machines are looked over and are going to be operationally as good as new -- and the savings of $500 far, far outweighed the risk of having a machine with minor blemishes. (On the other hand, I really wouldn't consider an eBay or an "open-box" machine that didn't carry a factory warranty.)

But I'm a little bit curious, too. My experience may not be the norm. I've seen very little in the forums about the quality of Apple's current refurbished gear, and I was actually expecting something far more, well, refurbished than the pristine unit that was in the box. Has anyone else here purchased an Apple factory refurb? What was it like?

Marc the Mac

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2002
United Kingdom
Are these signs of Updated PB and PM soon?

I notice that Macwarehouse stock has been like this all this week now.

Attachments

• macwarehouse.gif
    macwarehouse.gif
    15 KB · Views: 1,991

BagelTycoon

macrumors member
Originally posted by hikikomori9000
...I'm a little bit curious, too. My experience may not be the norm. I've seen very little in the forums about the quality of Apple's current refurbished gear, and I was actually expecting something far more, well, refurbished than the pristine unit that was in the box. Has anyone else here purchased an Apple factory refurb? What was it like?

I bought a refurbed Airport Extreme within a few weeks after they first showed up on Apple's refurbed site, and couldn't be happier.

Same warranty , $40 less (at the time), not a blemish, speedy delivery, and it worked like a charm.

Why pay retail? :)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Third party sellers dumping powerbooks could just mean they expect and update but are non the wiser than we are... shame really...:(

dryvlee

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2004
Singapore
White spot on 17in LCD

My new 17in Powerbook arrived today after a lag of 3-4 weeks after I placed my order. There was a white patch at the lower left corner of the LCD screen. I rejected the Powerbook and asked the dealer to arrange for another unit.

I heard clicking sound (about 3 clicks) coming from the Superdrive whenever I press the button to boot-up the Powerbook. Does any of you 15 or 17in Powerbk-with-Superdrive owners experience this??

Thanks!

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
Again, the site has all versions of the most recent models selling in their refurbished area:

Refurbished PowerBooks
Units subject to stringent refurbishment process prior to sale.
PowerBook G4 867MHz/256MB/40GB/Combo/E/12"TFT - Refurbished Add $1,199.00
PowerBook G4 867MHz/256MB/40GB/SuperDrive/E/12"TFT - Refurbished Add $1,399.00
PowerBook G4 1GHz/256MB/40GB/Combo/E/12"TFT Add $1,349.00
PowerBook G4 867MHz/256MB/40GB/Combo/GigE/56K/15"TFT - Refurbished Add $1,499.00
PowerBook G4 1GHz/256MB/40GB/SuperDrive/E/12"TFT Add $1,549.00
PowerBook G4 1GHz/256MB/60GB/Combo/GigE/15"TFT - Refurbished Add $1,699.00
PowerBook G4 1GHz/512MB/60GB/SuperDrive/GigE/56K/AirPort Card/15"TFT - Refurbished Add $1,899.00
PowerBook G4 1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/AP Extreme Card/GigE/15"TFT - Refurbished Add $2,099.00
PowerBook G4 1GHz/512MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AP Extreme Card/GigE/56K/17"TFT - Refurbished Add $2,199.00
PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/AP Extreme Card/GigE/17"TFT Add $2,499.00

Perhaps they are actually getting 17 inch returns everyday, but i think its strange that this has happened with such consistency of late, and especially in stark contrast with the way NONE of the new models were on the refurb page before this past week and a half.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
PB REJECTED: White spot on 17in LCD

Originally posted by dryvlee
My new 17in Powerbook arrived today after a lag of 3-4 weeks ...
There was a white patch at the lower left corner of the LCD screen.
I rejected the Powerbook and asked the dealer to arrange for another unit.

I heard clicking sound (about 3 clicks) coming from the Superdrive whenever I press the button to boot-up the Powerbook.
Does any of you 15 or 17in Powerbk-with-Superdrive owners experience this??
Sorry to hear that your new PowerBook arrived defective, Doc. :(

The clicking sound you heard coming from the SuperDrive may either be simply from turning the drive ON automatically upon booting up, or may have to do with the drive's program to physically "look for a disk at Start Up" command, which shouldn't happen without a disk actually being present-as far as hearing anything. If a disk is present, your Mac will then start up the laser drive to determine the kind of disk (CD or DVD) and then read it to find out if it is an OS X installation disc, which may then have priority over the Hard Drive as the Start Up Disk. Otherwise, if it is data or software (not an OS X disk), then the system will start the music, photo images, or whatever according to your Preferences, and open an appropriate iApp or just the content window itself.

Since you rejected the unit because of the screen defect, the laser drive problem will be addressed by Apple techs when they run a full hardware check upon receiving a "return". Sounds like your PB may have been a "lemon" with more than a few things wrong with it (screen, laser drive, something else?). It's likely that its replacement when delivered to you will make you much happier. ;)

Currently, there do appear to be a few indirect indications (as cited in this thread over the last few days) that Apple may be preparing for a new PowerBook release by closing out the old line and thereby causing a shortages at stores, combined with a
rush of refurbished current-model PB Macs to resale online, or
this may all be a coincidence. :confused:

If these signs do fortell an impending release, the defect giving you a good excuse to reject a long awaited PowerBook may be a "wind fall". Wouldn't it be nice to receive an upgrade to the level of any new release, even if it is only a speed-bump?
Regardless, your patience should be well rewarded.
The MacGoddess smiles upon you. :D

BagelTycoon

macrumors member
Originally posted by a17inchFuture
Again, the site has all versions of the most recent models selling in their refurbished area ... Perhaps they are actually getting 17 inch returns everyday, but i think its strange that this has happened with such consistency of late, and especially in stark contrast with the way NONE of the new models were on the refurb page before this past week and a half.

Totally not true.

Apple has been unloading all of these refurbed PBooks since roughly Nov. '03. Though the entire PBook line may not be in refurbed stock on the same day, this is not the first time it is.

Perhaps the biggest change is that now you only see refurbed product that's in stock. Previously, the entire product line would be shown, but in-stock items would have to have that clickable red 'Add' button next to the price.

dryvlee

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2004
Singapore
Thank you MacRand. Don't think I will get a speedbump Powerbook but will let you know when I see the replacement.

Since I am upgrading from the first generation TiBk, I don't mind the old 1.33GHz 17in Powerbk as long as it is not a lemon. I had to upgrade as the hinge of my TiBk broke due to a careless fall.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
G5 PowerBook soon?

Originally posted by dryvlee
Thank you MacRand. Don't think I will get a speedbump Powerbook but will let you know when I see the replacement.
IBM Announces New Chip Making Method
Friday February 13, 2004 08:31 AM EST
Posted by arn

IBM officially announced that it is producing the PowerPC 970FX today based on "a new method of manufacturing to make microprocessors that consume less power".

The new manufacturing process for the new chips includes silicon-on-insulator, strained silicon and copper wiring based on a 90nm chip making process. The resulting chip "which can process vast amounts of computer memory compared with a standard 32-bit chip, can either run at faster speeds or use less power".

According to Richard Doherty, research director at Envisioneering, "It's logical that Apple would select the flexibility of this chip for a next-generation notebook computer."

G5 PowerBook soon?
Low power consumption & heat with a little less speed in a G5? :p

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
I am trying to get the opinion of this forum's members. Do you think that Apple will wait for the G5 before updating the current line?

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
There are two possibilities as far as i am concerned: they could either update to G5 soon, as they probably knew about these chips long ago, or they could have see their original date of fall 2004 as good enough, and long enough for them to perfect a great design for the new Pb's that assures maximum output and ingenuity.

I hope it is NOT the latter, as I would love to be surprised by G5 powerbooks much earlier. I would easily buy a G5 even if it was first generation, because I woudl most certainly buy an applecare protection plan. As far as I am concerned, if I have that, then any problems resulting from first gen. issues would be neglegable/fixable pretty easily.

Plus, I'd have a G5 powerbook, hell yeah!

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
OZ Switcher

Originally posted by aswitcher
Exactly what I am waiting for to damn well switch after 7 months of Applefying myself.
So, you don't have a lick of Apple software yet? Never had a Mac before?

Keep me in mind when your Mac arrives. Then you and I and a couple other MacBlokes will connect via iChatAV and get you up to speed.

You do have a high-speed broadband (cable, microwave, etc.) connection available and you're getting an iSight or already own a DV camcorder with a FireWire connection, right? A koala phone connection won't do, mate. Not at all.

MacRand :cool:

P.S. You are going to love this DVD Backup software and site:
http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/DVDbackup.html

Attachments

• dvdbackup-logo.jpg
    dvdbackup-logo.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,303

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Re: OZ Switcher

Originally posted by MacRAND
So, you don't have a lick of Apple software yet? Never had a Mac before?

Keep me in mind when your Mac arrives. Then you and I and a couple other MacBlokes will connect via iChatAV and get you up to speed.

You do have a high-speed broadband (cable, microwave, etc.) connection available and you're getting an iSight or already own a DV camcorder with a FireWire connection, right? A koala phone connection won't do, mate. Not at all.

MacRand :cool:

P.S. You are going to love this DVD Backup software and site:
http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/DVDbackup.html

No, I have never has a Mac before. I did a comp sci degree in the 80s and no macs in sight. Now make has come to Unix I am interested, plus the new chips etc have made the Mac a seriously interesting computer over the last year or so. G5 is the main attraction but I want a PB not a tower for the usefulness that portability brings...so I wait some more...

Have ADSL - modem got fragged in a december lightining storm so I am on dialup until I get my mac...

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Traditionally the vast majority of refurbs sold are nothing more than open box returns. Because they are returned they have to undergo strigent testing and thus become "refurbs". With all the returns due to screen, latch and other problems with the early AL books I'm sure Apple was flooded with machines that actually had to be repaired and then put out for resell. So, I wouldn't read much into the number of refurbs availbable in terms of it meaning a new line is coming out. What I would read into it is that if you are in the market for a PB and want to save some big bucks I would buy one. I"ve bought two in the past and both were just like new.

theISHkid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Moore, OK
student developer

Hey i'm not 100% sure about this... so if i'm wrong and someone else knows please don't get all anal about it.

I've been checking the apple store just about every morning since MSFW on the developer page because i'm signed up for a student developer and because I'm waiting for the next powerbook revision... Well like i said i might be wrong but I think the 15" and the 17" have come down in price since over the weekend... or at lease since the last week. It's one of those things that just looks a little different to me. Does anyone else know if this is accurate? Does anyone else check the student developer site?

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
you got me all excited for nothing :)

Developer prices are exactly the same (at least for the 15" model).
Base model is 1,599$, and highend model is 2,079$.

I know since I am monitoring these prices on a daily basis. I am actually waiting for a pricedrop or new model before placing an order for one.

Keep hoping, keep looking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.