Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
Originally posted by Beck446
I don't know about you all - I might be in the minority - but at this point, I really care more about the bells and whistles than the processor update. Apple could pretty easily standardize Airport Extreme, backlit keyboard, even memory and faster HD's wouldn't be difficult.

How about an update that doesn't even touch the processors?
I'm taking the holistic approach and I agree the bells and whistles are important. My current TiBook is sufficient and getting less so. I'm starting to get really annoyed with my airport reception or rather the lack of, I'm due to get a bluetooth phone this week, I've got some really great footage (read "clips of my little boy") I would like to slap on a dvd.

All of these things I could improve right now with a new 15. Speed isn't a big issue for me, the speed improvements in 10.3 help plus I installed a 7200 drive. I think the screens are probably due for a refresh.

But the resale on G4 laptops is going to take a dive when the G5 PB is released. Plus I'm inclined to think they aren't too far away, I think it's safe to assume Apple have had samples of the new processors for a while. I don't believe the heat issues are insurmountable or necessarily a big issue. The 90nm G5 is reported to use around 12W at 1.4GHz but the chips also have PowerTune technology as reported in November on MacRumors that may further alleviate the heat issue.

I guess I'm just going to wait and see.

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
Thats exactly what I have been saying all along. It dosent take much to make us all happy with a new powerbook (or at least most of us).

faster hard drive, 1 dimm of 512, minor speed bump, better graphic card and a faster superdrive would be more than enough.

At least this way we will know that we are safe for the the next few months (from a long due update).

dryvlee

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2004
Singapore
Powerbook coming...

With or without an update in hardware, my 17 in Powerbook is coming......since I ordered about a month ago. This is very unusual!

BagelTycoon

macrumors member
Originally posted by fred_garvin
"Why wait?"

Again, look from Apple's business perspective. Once a rev is released all inventory of the old model plummets in value. They like to clear out the channel of the old product as best they can in advance.

IMO, for folks keyed up on a new PBook today, not tomorrow, it only makes sense to go the refurbed route, save some $$$, and get it all tricked out with gobs of cheap RAM

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Originally posted by pigwin32
SNIP

But the resale on G4 laptops is going to take a dive when the G5 PB is released. Plus I'm inclined to think they aren't too far away, I think it's safe to assume Apple have had samples of the new processors for a while. I don't believe the heat issues are insurmountable or necessarily a big issue. The 90nm G5 is reported to use around 12W at 1.4GHz but the chips also have PowerTune technology as reported in November on MacRumors that may further alleviate the heat issue.

I guess I'm just going to wait and see.

Yep...:(

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
Re: 7200 drive

Originally posted by aryeh
Just wondering which 7200 drive you installed in your 15" powerbook? And who did you get to install it? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.
The Hitachi 60GB (actually 55.89GB, what's that about), awesome drive, installed it myself because my TiBook is outside warranty anyway. If your PB is still under warranty get a certified Apple repair shop to install it. More details at xlr8yourmac.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Reading those instructions, I'd be inclined to leave mine exactly as it is. Currently, I'd have to downgrade my 80GB to 60 at the cost of a 180GB FireWire drive. Not to mention 12" possible heat issues.

Maybe in 3 or 4 years, I could slip in a fast terrabyte drive! :D

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
Again, more models of the PB are on sale in the refurbished area of the Apple site. The present-day version of the 17 inch is present, something that was true a couple of days ago for the first time (before being sold promptly), and now for the second time a PB with the same specifications as the full priced one is being sold for a discounted price..

Hopefully, this means they getting rid of their inventory in preperation for their new release! In addition, teh persent 12 inch model is on sale too.

Maybe they are plannign on updating the 12 and 17 inch models more heavily, as the 15 inch was the highly touted upgrade in the last revision.

Say a little prayer for PB's . . . .

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
Originally posted by a17inchFuture
Again, more models of the PB are on sale in the refurbished area of the Apple site. The present-day version of the 17 inch is present, something that was true a couple of days ago for the first time (before being sold promptly), and now for the second time a PB with the same specifications as the full priced one is being sold for a discounted price..

Hopefully, this means they getting rid of their inventory in preperation for their new release! In addition, teh persent 12 inch model is on sale too.

Maybe they are plannign on updating the 12 and 17 inch models more heavily, as the 15 inch was the highly touted upgrade in the last revision.

Say a little prayer for PB's . . . .

I like your optimism, but it would suggest that is simply means that they have some 12" and 17" returns.

edit:
I just check the Apple refurbished page and the only 17" PB I saw was the 1 GHz, not the current model (1.33 GHz).

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I guess they go that quickly, because it was there this morning

Yes, they go very quickly. Both 15" models were on there yesterday for a few hours.

Hickman

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: Re: 7200 drive

Originally posted by pigwin32
The Hitachi 60GB (actually 55.89GB, what's that about)...

That's the difference between GigaBytes and GibaBytes.

1 GigaByte = 1000000000 Bytes

1 GibaByte = 1073741824 Bytes

GigaBytes are base ten, whereas GibaBytes are base 2.

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
Originally posted by Brian Hickman
Yes, they go very quickly. Both 15" models were on there yesterday for a few hours.

Hickman

That is my point. They are just piecemeal returns that trickle in and sell out quickly. It is in no way Apple getting rid of inventory before an update.
Which is what was originally said.

kwtneo

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2003
so help me out now...

i'm thinking of getting the 15" PB soon. should i go ahead or should i wait for the updates?

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
I agree its probably not them trying to get rid of inventory, but they have not had 1.33 on the site since i have been checking (well over two months), with the exception of the last week when two at least have been on the site and purchased, and I thought that it was peculiar in the wake of all this possible pb update rumors, they suddenly have refurbished versons of all three of the present models, down to ghz's.

I hope it means something, perhaps they are using the never-purchased chips in returned old aluminum cases or something. Refurbished means apple could have either stripped and re-put together models or just fixed what was wrong (as companies do both when they sell items as "refurbished")and therefore, this could be a possibility. Point is they now seem to be selling refurbished 1.33 in the 17, and 1.25 in the 15, and 1 in the 12, something I had not seen before the last 1.5 weeks.

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
I agree its probably not them trying to get rid of inventory, but they have not had 1.33 on the site since i have been checking (well over two months), with the exception of the last week when two at least have been on the site and purchased, and I thought that it was peculiar in the wake of all this possible pb update rumors, they suddenly have refurbished versons of all three of the present models, down to ghz's.

I hope it means something, perhaps they are using the never-purchased chips in returned old aluminum cases or something. Refurbished means apple could have either stripped and re-put together models or just fixed what was wrong (as companies do both when they sell items as "refurbished")and therefore, this could be a possibility. Point is they now seem to be selling refurbished 1.33 in the 17, and 1.25 in the 15, and 1 in the 12, something I had not seen before the last 1.5 weeks.

See the problem is that with all the unfulfilled rumors of late, I have lost my optimism. I still suspect that it is just refurbs coming in now that the new PB's have been out for a while.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
When rumors start sounding realistic

Originally posted by pjkelnhofer
...I still suspect that it is just refurbs coming in now ...that the new PB's have been out for a while.
pjkelnhofer, if and when these two thing happen at the same time, you can rest assured that NEW PowerBook models are about to be released:
1. SALE prices on current stock are authorized by Apple-- to help Dealers move old inventory out of their warehouses.
2. SOME warehouses, here and there, are out of this PB model or that, and "back orders" are either not being taken "at this time" or are conditional upon receipt of new shipments (upgraded kind at same old price, hopefully).

CONCLUSION: Apple has been quietly notiyfing catalog companies like MacZone, MacMall, OWC, etc. and other authorized dealers, that
a. No more orders of PowerBook model xxx will be filled nor shipments made.
b. Apple's supply of certain PowerBooks is low, hard to get, or OUT.
c. Apple is authorizing specific discounts (which are not otherwise done) on existing stock (so, get rid of what you have fast); and
d. Apple confidentially indicates to Dealers that the release of certain PowerBooks is close, so get your warehouse in order, or
e. Apple quietly permits wholesale orders to be made for new product at new prices and even for product to be delivered to Dealer Warehouses and HELD on the STRICT CONDITION that the Dealer will NOT disclose their existence to anyone, and that they will NOT sell them until the "Release Date" or they receive written permission and instructions from Apple. Often, store outlets receive DO NOT OPEN until instructed Boxes of Merchandise where strange PACKING SLIPS are not matched by any INVOICE. Hey, it's a SECRET, keep your mouth shut, and DON'T TOUCH NOTHIN'.

Apple permits advance purchases only from Dealers it knows can be trusted.

If these things were not true, how do you suppose that within minutes of Apple announcing a new release, Mac catalog stores have photos of the product on line and already incorporated into Ads, new prices are listed, and orders are ready to be taken?
Then we start getting eMail ads...
Plus, the Dealers already know what printer deals are available, RAM upgrades permitted, etc., right?

That's when the rumor mills start grinding Apple grist...
:p

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
Re: When rumors start sounding realistic

Originally posted by MacRAND
pjkelnhofer, if and when these two thing happen at the same time, you can rest assured that NEW PowerBook models are about to be released:
1. SALE prices on current stock are authorized by Apple-- to help Dealers move old inventory out of their warehouses.
2. SOME warehouses, here and there, are out of this PB model or that, and "back orders" are either not being taken "at this time" or are conditional upon receipt of new shipments (upgraded kind at same old price, hopefully).

...snip...

That's when the rumor mills start grinding Apple grist...
:p [/B]

I agree with everything you wrote. My point is that those things are not happening at least I have not seen anything along the lines of what you describe happening... yet.

My original point (many posts ago) was the appearance of current models in the refurb store (especially when it is one or two units that sell out instantly) is not something that you can based imminent updates upon (at least not without grasping for straws).

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: When rumors start sounding realistic

Originally posted by MacRAND
...If these things were not true, how do you suppose that within minutes of Apple announcing a new release, Mac catalog stores have photos of the product on line and already incorporated into Ads, new prices are listed, and orders are ready to be taken?
Then we start getting eMail ads...
Plus, the Dealers already know what printer deals are available, RAM upgrades permitted, etc., right?

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had a PR package that was released via email at the same time as their product announcement. That would provide these retailers with all the photos that they'd need of the new product, plus any other information.

Just knowing Apple's level of secrecy, I find it a little hard to believe that they'd be quite that open. Besides, isn't the whole logic behind the Tuesday announcements that they can begin shipping product right after the announcement and it will reach retail stores by the weekend?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.