Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
If it's true you have to go to an Apple Store to buy one and get "fitted", I hope that includes an eye test of some sort to see what you need. it's an expensive investment if you won't be able to see properly.
I'm thinking I almost have to do an in person demo before I decide if it's for me or not.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I think this is really confusing as well.

I generally only need readers. And, I usually buy cheap $20 progressive readers on Amazon.

In the US, you don't need a prescription for these types of glasses. Is Apple requiring a prescription for progressive readers?

Some have stated that the focal distance is 2 meters. Here's a picture of my laptop 2 meters from me:

tempImagebqgHmD.jpg

Are you saying that nothing will appear closer than that? What if I want a screen for writing close up, like I use my laptop. I don't understand how this all works, and I'm frustrated that it's not been made explicitly clear.

So, basic progressive readers will still need a prescription?

nsteinmetz

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2019
There seems to be confusion about the vengence distance for binocular vision and the power of a reader needed to focus on the viewing screen that will be an inch or so from the front of the eye. This is particularly critical for those who have had cataract surgery with lens implants that are tuned for distance and unable to accommodate. I use 3.75 readers to focus on a page about ten inches in front of my eyes but have been unable to find any information on what strength I will need for Vision Pro.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006

I generally only need readers. And, I usually buy cheap $20 progressive readers on Amazon.

In the US, you don't need a prescription for these types of glasses. Is Apple requiring a prescription for progressive readers?

Some have stated that the focal distance is 2 meters. Here's a picture of my laptop 2 meters from me:

View attachment 2335760

Are you saying that nothing will appear closer than that? What if I want a screen for writing close up, like I use my laptop. I don't understand how this all works, and I'm frustrated that it's not been made explicitly clear.

If windows are closer to you (virtually) to your eyes it will need the same ciliary muscle strength to shape your eye for that 2 meter distance since it is faking it - that is my understanding at least

hexagenia

macrumors demi-god
Jan 12, 2007
New Hampshire
I haven’t seen this mentioned here, but Apple specifically requires an unexpired prescription for outfitting lenses. I just discovered my prescription is one month expired and I won’t get to have it retested till later in the month. Anyone else in this predicament?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I haven’t seen this mentioned here, but Apple specifically requires an unexpired prescription for outfitting lenses. I just discovered my prescription is one month expired and I won’t get to have it retested till later in the month. Anyone else in this predicament?
This actually doesn't surprise me. I couldn't believe it when Costco wouldn't let me make a backup set of glasses because my prescription had recently expired. I had no idea that was a thing then.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
I don't understand exactly how it works but your eyes focus on a further away point but the objects will still look very close when brought up to your face. In other headsets you can hold things so close to your eyes that it seems as if they should be touching you.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
I wonder if you could manually load in your prescription into the Health app and change the expiration date.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
There seems to be confusion about the vengence distance for binocular vision and the power of a reader needed to focus on the viewing screen that will be an inch or so from the front of the eye. This is particularly critical for those who have had cataract surgery with lens implants that are tuned for distance and unable to accommodate. I use 3.75 readers to focus on a page about ten inches in front of my eyes but have been unable to find any information on what strength I will need for Vision Pro.
You must have had some residual hyperopia after your cat sx because otherwise +3.75 is too much power for 10"

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
My prescription is outdated - around 2 years, but I still like my glasses and haven't felt the need to go back for an exam. To play it safe, I will just order some new contacts (cheaper with my vision insurance) than paying $149 for some lenses that may be outdated once I get a new prescription this Spring/Summer.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Is this something that HAS to happen when ordering the AVP or can it be done later just for inserts? I'm considering ordering the device on launch, but my prescription is way out of date and I figured I could just get lens inserts later...

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Is this something that HAS to happen when ordering the AVP or can it be done later just for inserts? I'm considering ordering the device on launch, but my prescription is way out of date and I figured I could just get lens inserts later...
I can't believe for one moment that you won't be able to order the inserts at a later date. Clearly it will be possible to order them at a later time, because it is stated that the inserts are ordered "after check-out". Are they really going to say "you can order them an hour later, but not a week, not a month"?

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
The kicker is...if you order the lenses, will they be shipped with or without the actual Vision Pro? My guess is that if it is within, then if you order the inserts at the same time that your VP will not be delivered on Feb 2.

EdFrank

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Michigan.
Does anyone know if pupillary distance needs to be listed on the Vision Prescription for us to be able to buy the AVP? My Vision Prescription does not have pupillary distance information on it.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Does anyone know if pupillary distance needs to be listed on the Vision Prescription for us to be able to buy the AVP? My Vision Prescription does not have pupillary distance information on it.

For best possible vision, a PD should be provided. However, it’s not part of a prescription and is usually not placed on your script. It’s part of the fitting process.

Reactions: userjohn

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012

View attachment 2335760

This can be a little confusing, but there are two important things to understand. (note, I'm not an expert, but this is my understanding of how corrective lenses work with VR headsets).

The first thing to understand is that you are looking at screens at a fixed distance from your eyes, so progressive lenses are not needed. You just need to get the right lens to match the focal length of the headset. This is kind of like looking at your computer monitor. If you are looking at a picture, it doesn't matter how far off into infinity the picture goes, your eyes are focusing on the monitor.

The second thing is that the VR headsets do some optical adjustments to move the focal distance further away from your eyes (i.e. your eyes are not focusing as they would on something just a few cm in front of them). Generally, VR headsets seem to be designed with a focal distance of between 1.3m to 2m (and others have mentioned that for the Vision Pro, the focal length is 2m). That means you should order corrective lenses that enable you to see things very clearly that are 2m away from you.

One really cool thing about this for me is that when using these in pass-through mode, I will be able to see all distances clearly without the weirdness of progressive lenses. Right now, I need different corrections for 30cm, 60cm, 1m, etc., but when looking through the Vision Pro, I will be able to read my watch and see things at a distance at the same time.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Thanks for the thread, as this is a major concern of mine.

As I’ve mentioned previously on other threads, my prescription lenses are beyond the scope of the existing options from VR lens companies. I’m cautiously optimistic that Apple will service a greater range of needs, primarily because of their partnership with Zeiss, which is a brand I seem to recall my low-vision eye doctor referencing in the past during eye exams. We shall see…
Curious to hear what the outcome on this is. I hope Apple's partnership with Zeiss accommodates your prescription!

• Love
Reactions: Dj64Mk7

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Forgive my lack of VR knowledge, but it seems counterintuitive to me that the focal length on a headset like this would be fixed. Maybe 1-2 meters for large floating virtual work displays, but what about the "movie theater" scenarios where a giant screen appears to be quite a bit further away. Won't your eyes focus be adjusting to that simulated distance? What am I missing here?

It definitely feels different to me when my eyes are focused a few feet away vs across the room vs in a movie theater. Doesn't VR/AR trick our eyes into those further focal points? I'd think that was part of the effect/illusion.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Forgive my lack of VR knowledge, but it seems counterintuitive to me that the focal length on a headset like this would be fixed. Maybe 1-2 meters for large floating virtual work displays, but what about the "movie theater" scenarios where a giant screen appears to be quite a bit further away. Won't your eyes focus be adjusting to that simulated distance? What am I missing here?

It definitely feels different to me when my eyes are focused a few feet away vs across the room vs in a movie theater. Doesn't VR/AR trick our eyes into those further focal points? I'd think that was part of the effect/illusion.
The way I understand this is, when I'm sitting in front of my TV, my vision is focused on the TV, no matter what is showing on the TV. If the TV switches from a view of distant mountains to a closeup of a newspaper page, I don't need to switch to my reading glasses in order to change focus from mountain to text. My eyes just needs to stay focused on the TV.

Reactions: Arran

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
The way I understand this is, when I'm sitting in front of my TV, my vision is focused on the TV, no matter what is showing on the TV. If the TV switches from a view of distant mountains to a closeup of a newspaper page, I don't need to switch to my reading glasses in order to change focus from mountain to text. My eyes just needs to stay focused on the TV.
That’s not exactly the same. The TV displays a 2D image, so you’re always focusing at the same distance on the TV screen. The Vision Pro is 3D, so you’ll need to focus on things at different distances.

If you're familiar with Magic Eye / autostereograms, it's a bit similar to that. You’re focusing on your screen to read this, but you need to focus behind your screen in order to see the 3D airplane hidden in the image below. Your monitor represents the displays in the headset, the airplane and the wall behind it are the focal points.

1705551840695.jpeg

This is another autostereogram that has more depth. When you stare at it to see it in 3D, notice how your eyes are focusing further back when looking at the black pawns, and focusing closer up when looking at the white pawns.

1705554702658.jpeg

Reactions: Arran

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
It will confuse your brain some, yes. It should be able to adapt, but it's possible there will be some discomfort.
My brain is kind of used to the mismatch, because I sometimes read with my contact lenses out, and sometimes when I'm wearing them, so there's a pretty big difference between the focusing power needed for the two. Anyone who wears multifocal lenses has taught their brain to adapt.

It should be more comfortable to look at a virtual object that is further away than the fixed focus plane than it is to look at something closer.

If the fixed focus distance is 2 meters, but the virtual object is infinitely far away (i.e., on the horizon) there is only a mismatch of 0.5 diopters of focus power from what your brain expects from the convergence of your eyes.

If the fixed focus distance is 2 meters, but the virtual object is 50cm away (like you're holding a phone with your hand rested on your lap), that's a mismatch of 1.5 diopters of focus power. (1/0.5 vs 1/2.0), so will probably be less comfortable.

Meta has shown a few prototypes that each use a different method to have multiple focal lengths, both passive and active systems, but almost all released devices have had a single focal plane. I believe the original Magic Leap had a passive system with two layers that gave two different focal planes, but they got rid of that feature in the 2nd version.

Reactions: userjohn

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
That’s not exactly the same. The TV displays a 2D image, so you’re always focusing at the same distance on the TV screen. The Vision Pro is 3D, so you’ll need to focus on things at different distances.

Err, no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.