Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Forgive my lack of VR knowledge, but it seems counterintuitive to me that the focal length on a headset like this would be fixed. Maybe 1-2 meters for large floating virtual work displays, but what about the "movie theater" scenarios where a giant screen appears to be quite a bit further away. Won't your eyes focus be adjusting to that simulated distance? What am I missing here?

It definitely feels different to me when my eyes are focused a few feet away vs across the room vs in a movie theater. Doesn't VR/AR trick our eyes into those further focal points? I'd think that was part of the effect/illusion.

I tried to explain this in an earlier post, but when you are using VR, it is no different than looking at a monitor or a picture on your phone. You are effectively looking at a monitor that is just in front your eyes, and so the focal length is fixed. The reason that the focal length is 1-2 meters rather than just a couple of cm is because there are some optical elements in from of the screens that effectively change the focal distance to be further away.

The two different screens present images designed to appear 3D and trick your mind into thinking that objects are closer or further away than what you are actually focusing on. Luckily, your brain uses the stereo images from your two eyes to judge distance (rather than the distance that your eyes are focusing on) which allows the 3D trick to work.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Interestingly... if you try and buy this and say you need glasses for close-up viewing, it says you need prescription lenses. But if the focal length is 1-2 metres away, I thought this wouldn't be the case?

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
What's even more interesting is that if you try to order the prescription lenses after you've placed the order for your AVP without lenses, Apple state that you may need a different light seal.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
What's even more interesting is that if you try to order the prescription lenses after you've placed the order for your AVP without lenses, Apple state that you may need a different light seal.
And the corrected light seal costs $199

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I haven’t seen this mentioned here, but Apple specifically requires an unexpired prescription for outfitting lenses. I just discovered my prescription is one month expired and I won’t get to have it retested till later in the month. Anyone else in this predicament?
Me too - haven't had my eyes checked as my very light correction hasn't changed in 10 years...

Will try it out without the insert and "see".

If I need it, I can always order the Zeiss light seal later.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Happy pre-order day everyone!

I’m honestly pretty disappointed right now. Just to see what the options were for the computer part of the Vision Pro, I went through the flow, including indicating that I would need the prescription inserts, but there was never a place within it to check if my prescription was supported.

So, I did some digging, and on the Zeiss Group website, they have a page for the Vision Pro inserts, along with a tool to check if your script is supported, about halfway down the page.

Unfortunately, when I entered my prescription information into this tool, I was met with a message I'd been fearing for a while:

We are really sorry, but your prescription values go beyond the available range. Unfortunately, we are currently unable to produce ZEISS Optical Inserts for you.

I can't say I wasn't expecting it, but I was really, really hopeful. Perhaps it'll turn out to be one of those things where the use of the word "currently" means it may change in the future. I'm not holding my breath.

Slightly more comical take on this: I guess the AR/VR headset industry has decided that I don't need to be distant/isolated any more than I already am with dissociation and amnesia.

azcoyote

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Has anyone received shipment info for their Zeiss inserts? Someone on Reddit posted that he received an update saying his Zeiss prescription inserts won't arrive until Feb 8th. That sucks that you might receive your Vision Pro on the 2nd but have to wait several more days until the Zeiss inserts arrive before actually being able to put it on and use it. I'm still waiting for Zeiss to verify my prescription, so I haven't received a shipment estimate.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Has anyone received shipment info for their Zeiss inserts? Someone on Reddit posted that he received an update saying his Zeiss prescription inserts won't arrive until Feb 8th. That sucks that you might receive your Vision Pro on the 2nd but have to wait several more days until the Zeiss inserts arrive before actually being able to put it on and use it. I'm still waiting for Zeiss to verify my prescription, so I haven't received a shipment estimate.
Shipping times will get more accurate as launch day approaches.

Someone on this forum said his inserts are arriving before his AVP.....

I ordered mine without because of a very light correction and try it out without.

If I need to order, I can place an accessories order later....

ourguile

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2024
New York
Shipping times will get more accurate as launch day approaches.

Someone on this forum said his inserts are arriving before his AVP.....

I ordered mine without because of a very light correction and try it out without.

If I need to order, I can place an accessories order later....

I also have a very small prescription (small minus power for distance) and use contacts daily. Ideally I would want to use the Vision Pro without contacts but it seems like I would need two light seals. One with contacts and one with the Zeiss lens attachments. I’m wondering how large the size difference is with/without the lenses.

Reactions: 4sallypat

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Hm. I do have far away glasses and “close up” glasses but they aren’t for reading, they’re more for computers, like 2-4 feet away. But the pre-order says close up means computer and reading. My close ones are also very light prescriptions. Wonder if I need to bother.

If I do order near and far does that mean Zeiss sends me bifocals? Not sure how great that would be in VR…

My prescriptions are also 3 years old so I guess I shouldn’t order the AVP now anyway since I’ll need a trip to the eye doctor before I can finalize it.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Yeah I had my prescription uploaded by 7:04am. Shows delivery February 2nd

Attachments

• IMG_1355.jpeg
    IMG_1355.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 39

blue2noise

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
This makes no sense.

The promotional videos also show a virtual movie screen far off in the distance. In the mixed reality scenarios (which includes the one you describe), you are seeing everything the cameras see externally.

Just because a screen is virtually positioned a certain distance from the viewer does not mean the eye would need to focus at that distance in order to resolve it. Apple have not invented a true depth display - everything you see on the Vision Pro screens is projected at a fixed virtual distance from your eyes - regardless of whether it's a virtual monitor on a desk; the view out the window; or a virtual movie theatre on the Moon; and you simply need to be able to have that distance in focus.
I have multiple VR headsets with prescription lenses that snap in. It uses the distance prescription even though the lenses are right against your eyes. They work wonderfully.

Reactions: Chuckeee

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Just wanted to add that for those who wear readers with a simple magnification you buy at a store (i.e. no prescription), you can order those Zeiss lenses during the checkout process ($99). No prescription required in that case.

codeunrwolfpack

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2009
Mine was declined. They said my prescription didn't have my date of birth on it, and that the prescriber wasn't an ophthalmologist. If they spent more than 2 seconds looking at it, they could have found out that the prescriber is an ophthalmologist. I am not sure why they need my date of birth on there - my ophthalmologist doesn't put that on the prescription. So frustrating.

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
My wife's was declined bc of no signature (signature is at the bottom right...) and no DOB. Nowhere in the FAQ does it say DOB is required. She messaged them to point out the signature and give her DOB. We will see if that works... Mine is still pending review, but we use the same doctor...

Reactions: userjohn

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Do we know how they handle it when you have two prescriptions, one for distance and one for closer? Does Zeiss send you two pairs of inserts or do they send bifocals? Or do they somehow merge both prescriptions into a single lens that works for you?

I do have two prescriptions but my "near" prescription is so light that I'd rather not bother with it if Zeiss's solution is bifocals.

EDIT- Well this is odd. From Apple's Support page-

"Intermediate distance, task distance, or computer distance should not be part of that prescription"

Um... the preorder questions literally ask for "computer range". Am I missing something or are they still not totally clear on this?

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Do we know how they handle it when you have two prescriptions, one for distance and one for closer? Does Zeiss send you two pairs of inserts or do they send bifocals? Or do they somehow merge both prescriptions into a single lens that works for you?

I do have two prescriptions but my "near" prescription is so light that I'd rather not bother with it if Zeiss's solution is bifocals.

EDIT- Well this is odd. From Apple's Support page-

"Intermediate distance, task distance, or computer distance should not be part of that prescription"

Um... the preorder questions literally ask for "computer range". Am I missing something or are they still not totally clear on this?
I believe that the focal length is fixed (as it is with most VR headsets), so you should only need to get a single prescription. Someone earlier in this post said the focal distance is 2m (which is similar to Meta / Sony VR headsets), so look at something 2m away and see how well you can see it. If you can see it well without your glasses, then you shouldn't need inserts for the headset. If you can't see well, then you need inserts that allow you to see well at 2m. I'm surprised that Apple doesn't describe this better as it is counter-intuitive.

mnc042

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
New England, USA
I just had my prescription rejected by Zeiss even though it fits into the range they say (up to +/-11) and I'm at 4/9 OD/OS.

The only thing I can figure is that they mis-read the prescription which has Prism listed but blank -- I don't need prism.

I wonder if re-ordering will work the second time? There seems to be no way to ask them what they didn't like about the order. :-(

ccbadger

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
I just had my prescription rejected by Zeiss even though it fits into the range they say (up to +/-11) and I'm at 4/9 OD/OS.

The only thing I can figure is that they mis-read the prescription which has Prism listed but blank -- I don't need prism.

I wonder if re-ordering will work the second time? There seems to be no way to ask them what they didn't like about the order. :-(
Mine the same. So I reordered it hope it will go through. I have -9.0/-1.5/170. However, still missing my DOB on the prescription. Don’t know if this will go through.

mguzman

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
I just had mine rejected because Zeiss said there was no doctor’s signature. When I looked at the prescription I do see a signature. I reloaded the prescription with an arrow pointing to the signature, and also submitted an issue report on the Zeiss website. No customer support phone number I can find, just email with 2 business day response time.

I bought Zinni Optical lens for my Quest 3 with the same prescription with no problems. Zenni has email, chat and phone support. So far not impressed with Zeiss. Thankfully my vision is adequate enough to use the Quest without inserts so can probably use the Vision Pro without in worst case. The lenses help but are not absolutely necessary for me.

Hope Zeiss gets their stuff together, or more responsive vendors eventually start providing VP lenses.

WayneD

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2022
Reading or distance prescription? I had the same question. The short answer is Apple wants a comprehensive prescriptions with what's "known as the full manifest refraction". This is form the Apple Support web page. See the detail on this page:

paxos

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Anyone else got an error message popup when uploading the prescription?

My order still has the status of "ZEISS Prescription Review" - but no updates so far. No idea if the upload actually worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.