Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to the same source of the Feb 3rd PowerBook revision rumors, the 15" and 17" PowerBooks should also see $300 price drops on the same date as the updates.

The update date has wavered between Feb 2nd and 3rd.

Regardless, this information remains uncertain due to the absence of a history of reliable reports from this particular source. Should this prove to be true, further information will be met with more confidence.

Stoffel

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Germany
Yea! I'm so curious. Two days ago the display of my Ti400 broke. So I am on the market for a new powerbook. But not without an update before.....
Well, one week to go.

flaire

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2004
Price drops on the Powerbooks: smokin, but still difficult to justify for yesterdays processors.

cyberrob

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2004
Germany
price drops are great... but new procs (970FX) would be much better... think the only thing missing in powerbooks are new procs... and maybe someday a little 2 gig fibre channel port ;-)

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by flaire
Price drops on the Powerbooks: smokin, but still difficult to justify for yesterdays processors.

... so then why don't you go and show those Apple engineers how to make a Powerbook G5? Surely you could show them a thing or two. :rolleyes:

flaire

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2004
Originally posted by simX
... so then why don't you go and show those Apple engineers how to make a Powerbook G5? Surely you could show them a thing or two. :rolleyes:

I certainly could show them a thing or two; however it would be totally unrelated to any engineering efforts.

I understand the difficulties in upgrading (not updating) the powerbooks, but I am eternally grateful for your aptitude to (and willingness to) point out the obvious for everyone.

KLFloyd

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Gainesville, FL
Price drops and/or upgrades to only the 15 and 17" model really don't make all that much sense to me when it's obvious that the 12" PowerBook is the one that's screaming for an upgrade.

I think Apple just has to do something to further distinguish the 12" model from the current iBook line. I realize G5's are still a long way off, and even when they do come I don't think I'm going to be an early adopter this time (AppleCare is currently not available in my home state of Florida) I'd like to see a processor bump, backlit keyboard and graphics card upgrade for starters.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any information on which PowerBook model is the most popular with buyers. That would be interesting to see.

I have a 15" Titanium now but from a student's perspective the 15" was just too big to take to class on a regular basis. On the other hand, I work in Graphic Design so I NEED the extra power.

I'm starting law school (hopefully) next year and I'm fairly certain my next laptop will be the PowerBook 12" with an external display to hook up to when I'm at my desk.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
This rumor is just hope

It is just hope that this rumor is giving us. I was hoping for something yesturday but I guess Apple didn't think the actual birthday was good enough to give updates, they want to wait as long as possible and do it during the super bowl, which was also its birthday. I just didn't like how Apple did nothing yesturday.

As for the design of the powerbooks, I'm sure the new 970FX processors are being rolled out just because of the lower heat and power consumtion, ideal for a lap top.

Price drop, I would like that, because my gf would be able to get one, and then she would be able to get and isight so we can see eachother. Me in PA, she in TN. For now its Yahoo messanger and the webcam sharing. Personal note: has anyone heard any more news about ichat and aim compatability for video chats yet????

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by KLFloyd
Price drops and/or upgrades to only the 15 and 17" model really don't make all that much sense to me when it's obvious that the 12" PowerBook is the one that's screaming for an upgrade.
The rumor that this thread is about only talks about price decreases. The other rumor mentioned powerbook updates. So it is possible they may update the 12" without a price drop, or maybe with a smaller price drop. Although I wouldn't bet on the price drop for the 12"

Heck, I wouldn't bet on any rumors being true. Just wait and see what happens.

Having said that, if there is an incrememntal update to the Powerbooks next week, I'll be ordering a 15". If not I may or may not wait a bit longer. No rush, since my current TiBook does most of what I need, and what it doesn't do won't an issue for a few months.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: This rumor is just hope

Originally posted by varmit
It is just hope that this rumor is giving us. I was hoping for something yesturday but I guess Apple didn't think the actual birthday was good enough to give updates, they want to wait as long as possible and do it during the super bowl, which was also its birthday. I just didn't like how Apple did nothing yesturday.

The is the possibility of announcements tomorrow of course. What apple would be announcing has been suggested to be Powermac updates this week as well as possibly display updates.

All we can do is wait and see. And not worry about it. If I had to purchase a machine fairly soon, I might be more concerned about what might be announced in the near future.

Apple will announce things when they are ready. I doubt Apple will do announcements on the weekend, but with the Superbowl, you never know. I still doubt it since Apple is said not to have an ad in the Superbowl.

ant_s

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Derby, UK
PowerBooks are at the cheapest they've ever been, really - I got the 15" SuperDrive AlBook in December and, although it's expensive, I think it represents the best value high-end notebook on the market. You look for a similarly specced PC machine that has a similar build quality (none exist!), even if they did - would cost more than the PowerBook.

Price drops would be welcome, however, to further enforce this fact and hopefully get even more switchers like myself. Don't expect G5s in the updated PowerBooks, it won't happen - not yet.

I'm finding it hard to wonder how Apple can improve the PowerBooks, other than the on-going processor speed, RAM, hard drive space...

Just my 2c

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by ant_s
I'm finding it hard to wonder how Apple can improve the PowerBooks, other than the on-going processor speed, RAM, hard drive space...
RAM speed could be improved in addition to the maximum ram.

Also, the superdrive speed could be increased.

And the LCD contrast could be increased.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Well, Apple did drop the price of the last generation of Power Mac G4...everyone (who was paying attention) knew the G5 was coming soon, and I guess Apple figured they needed to give people a reason to buy now rather than wait. Maybe it's the same for the PB G4...

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
Well, Apple did drop the price of the last generation of Power Mac G4...everyone (who was paying attention) knew the G5 was coming soon, and I guess Apple figured they needed to give people a reason to buy now rather than wait. Maybe it's the same for the PB G4...

I agree. I think the mac addicts are aware of the G5 powerbook and are holding onto their cash. This next upgrade will be tempting to me. I have always avoided the first version of a product. Considering the leap necessary to wedge a G5 into a powerbook, I may buy the 12 in powerbook now and wait till the second rev of the G5 powerbook.

Tempt me, Apple. Watch me give in.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Originally posted by Bear
RAM speed could be improved in addition to the maximum ram.

Also, the superdrive speed could be increased.

And the LCD contrast could be increased.
Also, bigger hard drives, higher monitor resolutions.

And what about some "wow" features--something to really set them apart from PCs. A new battery technology, maybe--something that doubles or triples battery life? Integrated iSight? A new speaker technology to give more lifelike sound? A better way for laptops to work with ipods--I'd like to just plug my ipod right into the top of the computer while it's closed and recharging, to automatically recharge and sync without the need for any cords.

`Mackdaddy

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2004
Powerbook

I bought my new powerbook 15" 4 days ago. I'm loving it. What I'm curious about tho is when Apple's gonna come out with a new powerbook.... any ideas?

jeremy2

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2003
pennsylvania, usa
I don't think the G5s are ready for the powerbooks yet. Even with the revision, they put out more than twice the power of the current g4 in the powerbooks.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Powerbook

Originally posted by `Mackdaddy
I bought my new powerbook 15" 4 days ago. I'm loving it. What I'm curious about tho is when Apple's gonna come out with a new powerbook.... any ideas?
An integrated camera is a bad idea. A lot of companies don't allow cameras on their property. This also means the cell phones with cameras can be a problem.

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
I dont care about price drops, ive been working since the summer, saved 3000 dollars, and now all I want from apple is to release a 15 inch G5 powerbook so I can buy it for my freshman year of college.

Though 300 bucks is a big drop though...

jnasato

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
paradise
I'm not looking to buy a new PowerBook, but $300 price drops would be nice.
Man, the cost of portability...

BagelTycoon

macrumors member
Price drop across the entire notebook line?

Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
Well, Apple did drop the price of the last generation of Power Mac G4...

Maybe it's the same for the PB G4...

At last year's 2003 MWSF keynote, Steve talked about how portables represented a hugely growing % of Apple sales; CFO Fred Anderson repeated the same mantra when announcing Q1 results the other week.

Since the Wintel notebook market seems to remain strong & steady, it would make sense for Apple to drop PB prices.

Still, I think it makes far more sense to drop the iBook pricepoint, rather than PBs. The new G4 iBooks prices have minimized the gap between entry evel portability & the hi-end market.

For the non-education market, Apple's small price gap between combo drive G4 iBooks & PBs packed with 40 GB & 640 RAM, Bluetooth AirPort Extreme ($1423 v. $1798) seems small (note: these specs have a PB configured at 512 RAM, since 640 ins't an option). With that difference, you'd think that iBook sales would be eaten away by folks making the jump to PBs.

The solution would seem to be: drop the entry level iBook price another $200-$250, and make AirPort Extreme a standard feature across the entire notebook line.

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally posted by Raiden
I dont care about price drops, ive been working since the summer, saved 3000 dollars, and now all I want from apple is to release a 15 inch G5 powerbook so I can buy it for my freshman year of college.

Though 300 bucks is a big drop though...

I'm in the same position as you man. I'm starting my freshmen year of college in the fall and would love for Apple to have a G5 stuck in a PowerBook by then. I'm getting it for my birthday which is in june, so maybe I can just hold off till WWDC at the latest so that I can actually get my BTO machine in time :D but if I have to, I'll get a cheap used iBook or PowerBook G3 to hold me over till they do get a G5 in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.