Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delta-9

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
PA
My new 12" 867 powerbook

Here is a hint if you want to get a good deal on a powerbook.

The price I got was better than what I could've received from Apple on a refurbished model. This powerbook was an open box return and was marked down to slighty over $1100 (combo drive).

What I did, was make some phone calls to Micro Centers around the country. Often times they have open box returns that are not advertised on their website. I found one and had it shipped out from the retail Micro Center store.

The powerbook I have here does have a 1yr warranty, however it is from the original purchase date. So I end up getting a 10 month warranty instead of 12. I also didn't get the most recent OS versions, however that didn't matter to me. In the end I got the powerbook shipped over night with an airport extreme card for less than $1300, about a $90 savings over buying it from Apple.

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
Well after I ordered my new 15" Powerbook 2 weeks ago and then after supposedly shipping last week it got mysteriously moved to Feb 2nd because of a "manufacturing delay", I just hope this rumour comes true.

Or alternatively, my Powerbook could just arrive already.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Re: My new 12" 867 powerbook

Originally posted by Delta-9

The price I got was better than what I could've received from Apple on a refurbished model. This powerbook was an open box return and was marked down to slighty over $1100 (combo drive).

What I did, was make some phone calls to Micro Centers around the country. Often times they have open box returns that are not advertised on their website. I found one and had it shipped out from the retail Micro Center store.

The powerbook I have here does have a 1yr warranty, however it is from the original purchase date. So I end up getting a 10 month warranty instead of 12. I also didn't get the most recent OS versions, however that didn't matter to me. In the end I got the powerbook shipped over night with an airport extreme card for less than $1300, about a $90 savings over buying it from Apple.

I'm too lazy to go through all that work to save $90 on a powerbook. Now if it would save me $91 then I would jump on the idea. :)

br0wnbuffer

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2004
Idle speculation...

I'm pretty sure that the 12" PB Combo model will be dropped. It really offered only speed as the differentiator between it and the 12" iBook (slight bumps in HD/RAM), and it costs $500 more, so it probably wasn't selling well the last few months. If Apple isn't throwing new designs into the mix, they'll keep the same bus and memory speeds, along with the built-in RAM, which are handicaps for the 12" board. So even though the speculation isn't that the 12" models will be affected, I think they will, because it makes the most sense to make moves along that line.

The 15" Combo will probably be kept because a budget 15" model is needed. If it got a speed bump along with the high-end 15", it might be difficult to differentiate the two models.

The 17" would benefit from getting both a speed bump and price drop.

I don't think a PB G5 will happen until WWDC this year at the earliest. If Apple announced Xserve G5 and the iPod, both of which won't ship for another two months, I can't see Apple releasing a PB G5 any sooner because of the need to fill Xserve orders and because of the testing required on PB G5 concepts. The heat problem on the 970FX is probably overblown, but the heat given by the high-speed controller chip and the faster bus is definitely a concern. Notice how most PC notebook manufacturers have gone with fairly thick plastic cases for their P4-based models, not just the "desktop replacement" types? This is no accident. I just hope that people aren't too disappointed when they see that a PB G5 isn't as elegantly designed as the G4 was.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Re: Idle speculation...

Originally posted by br0wnbuffer
I'm pretty sure that the 12" PB Combo model will be dropped.

* snip *

The 15" Combo will probably be kept because a budget 15" model is needed.

I suspect they'd do the same thing they do with the G5 Power Mac currently and have SuperDrive standard with the option to BTO a Combo drive on all models.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
First off I love my 15PB that i got just after xmas, no complaints here. But i remember hearing a rumor of a 15.4 inch Powerbook. What are the chances that those could be in the works. Now lets take that a step further and say that Apple could release a 12.2 inch Powerbook.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Anyone that wants G5 powerbooks needs to see what happened to all the people that wanted G5 macs. They waited since the Powermac was stuck at 500mhz. Many rumors came and went about how the powermacs were going to go past the 1ghz barrier. The G4 went to 1.25 and 1.44 with over-clocking. I think powerbook users will have to wait for quite some time until IBM makes a new chip just for laptops that runs nice and cool and can be sold to apple in large quantities. Once they have it, it will be another half year until G5 Powerbooks hit the streets.

Just because Apple came out with the G5 eventually that doesn't mean they are going to start coming out with great updates to the powerbook line in a timely manner. They never have and they probably never will under Steve Jobs. I think major overhauls in the Powerbook line every 2-3 years is going to have to be good enough. Just keep the price right and the OS fast and people will have less to complain about.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Did you include the cost of all those phone calls in your $$$ figures?

How much is having a shorter warranty costing you?

Do you know why the Powerbook was returned?

In your savings $$$$, did you remember to factor in the cost of an OS upgrade if it didn't come with the latest OS?

I think this purchase falls under "pennywise and pound foolish".

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Originally posted by reyesmac
Anyone that wants G5 powerbooks needs to see what happened to all the people that wanted G5 macs. They waited since the Powermac was stuck at 500mhz. Many rumors came and went about how the powermacs were going to go past the 1ghz barrier. The G4 went to 1.25 and 1.44 with over-clocking. I think powerbook users will have to wait for quite some time until IBM makes a new chip just for laptops that runs nice and cool and can be sold to apple in large quantities. Once they have it, it will be another half year until G5 Powerbooks hit the streets.

Just because Apple came out with the G5 eventually that doesn't mean they are going to start coming out with great updates to the powerbook line in a timely manner. They never have and they probably never will under Steve Jobs. I think major overhauls in the Powerbook line every 2-3 years is going to have to be good enough. Just keep the price right and the OS fast and people will have less to complain about.

While you may be right, I don't think we'll have to wait too much longer (I'd say by the end of the year we'll have one, if not then maybe at 2005's MWSF. I would hope I don't have to wait that long though.

dryvlee

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2004
Singapore
Re: Re: My new 12" 867 powerbook

Originally posted by Bear
Did you include the cost of all those phone calls in your $$$ figures?

How much is having a shorter warranty costing you?

Do you know why the Powerbook was returned?

In your savings $$$$, did you remember to factor in the cost of an OS upgrade if it didn't come with the latest OS?

I think this purchase falls under "pennywise and pound foolish".

Although I agree with you on this, only because our time is precious. For someone else, they may have all the time in the world to kill and hence will not see our logic.

imnotatfault

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
The 15" Powerbook I had ordered on the 15th is on back order. Possibly low on supplies to bring in the new updates?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Re: Re: My new 12" 867 powerbook

Originally posted by dryvlee
Although I agree with you on this, only because our time is precious. For someone else, they may have all the time in the world to kill and hence will not see our logic.
Time and the cost of taking the time to track it down is something I hadn't included in my list.

I tried to include items that have or would have a real $$$ cost to everyone. Most notcably, $129 for an OS upgrade is more than the $90 the person saved with all the phone call costs and the time they used finding the returned unit.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by imnotatfault
The 15" Powerbook I had ordered on the 15th is on back order. Possibly low on supplies to bring in the new updates?
It would be of more use to know the expected delivery date as well as the order date. Just telling us it is on backorder doesn't tell us much.

Also, including any extra options you ordered would help. Sometimes a part (80GB 5400rpm disk for instance) gets backordered and causes delays.

In this case a lot of people are seeing delays on their orders, but without knowing if there is a part backorder, it's hard to tell the actual reason for the delay.

dryvlee

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2004
Singapore
Re: Re: Re: Re: My new 12" 867 powerbook

Time and the cost of taking the time to track it down is something I hadn't included in my list.

I tried to include items that have or would have a real $$$ cost to everyone. Most notcably, $129 for an OS upgrade is more than the $90 the person saved with all the phone call costs and the time they used finding the returned unit.

Exactly, my point. Those with prices are just that while the time spent and opportunity lost may be priceless.

imnotatfault

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
It would be of more use to know the expected delivery date as well as the order date. Just telling us it is on backorder doesn't tell us much.

Also, including any extra options you ordered would help. Sometimes a part (80GB 5400rpm disk for instance) gets backordered and causes delays.

In this case a lot of people are seeing delays on their orders, but without knowing if there is a part backorder, it's hard to tell the actual reason for the delay.

est. shipping is 01/30
ordered the 5400rpm hard drive and a single 512 mb ram stick.

well, it seems like there's no new announcements today, as some had suggested.

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004

I also just bought a M-C Open-Box 12". I just walked into the local M-C and asked if they had open box. I got a 12" 887 with an extended 2 year warranty and 512MB RAM for $1,330 out the door... tax included. I also paid $100 for a AP Extreme card, so that brings the grand total to about $1,450 with tax for the P-Book, RAM, AP Extreme, 2yr warranty, and tax.

They sold me the P-Book for $1,045 provided I buy a 1 year warranty extension for an extra $100. I think this was a fair savings over the Apple Refurb Web Site. Now, of course, I fully expect Apple to do something to the P-Book line to make me wish I'd waited...

:(

luggnutt

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by tsk
12" PB $1599 (edu $1399)
15" PB $1699 (edu $1499)
17" PB $2699 (edu $2399)

So $100 more for the 15"? It seems to me if they drop the prices on the 15" $300 they've gotta drop the 12" price and also the iBook pricing.

Remember that the form factor costs, too. Do any PC laptops squeeze down to 12"? I've always thought the 12" could cost more because you are paying for the smaller size.

With laptops, you pay more to get a bigger screen and more to get a smaller body. perhaps here the second overrides the first.

Of course, that is all assuming some performance upgrades to the 12".....

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Re: This rumor is just hope

Originally posted by varmit
It is just hope that this rumor is giving us. I was hoping for something yesturday but I guess Apple didn't think the actual birthday was good enough to give updates, they want to wait as long as possible and do it during the super bowl, which was also its birthday. I just didn't like how Apple did nothing yesturday.

I'm having trouble comprehending why they chose to do nothing on such an important and widely publicized day. I definitely feel let down.

ectocooler

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
I ordered a 15" on the 16th and its been delayed to....YOU GUESSED IT....

Feb 3rd, 2004

I emailed apple asking them what their policies were in the case of:

-Refunds in a price drop
-Do they refund if the technology gets better but they dont change the price

This was their reply:

Thank you for contacting Apple.

Apple does not comment on rumors about decisions, products, programs, or promotions that Apple has not officially announced. Apple telephone representatives learn about new products and price changes when Apple makes formal public announcements, and not before.

By withholding comment, Apple hopes to protect customers from making decisions based on information that is incomplete, inaccurate, or subject to change before the formal announcement. Apple believes this is the best way to ensure that all customers are treated fairly.

To stay up to date on Apple news, visit Apple Hot News at
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews>.

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price.  To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment. For more information about Apple's price protection policy, please visit <http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#Apple Prices>.

Sincerely,
The Apple Store Team

BagelTycoon

macrumors member
Re: Apple refund policy

Originally posted by ectocooler
I emailed apple asking them what their policies were in the case of:

-Refunds in a price drop
-Do they refund if the technology gets better but they dont change the price

This was their reply:

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price.  To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment. For more information about Apple's price protection policy, please visit <http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#Apple Prices>.

Thanks. This is helpful and leads me to risk waiting until after the first few days in February before making a new PBook decision.

I was thinking about getting a refurbed 12" sooner, I'll wait to see what's new.

lind0834

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2003
Wasn't there a news bite some months ago about how IBM had made a G3 chip that was faster than the G4s?
I'd like to see those in the PB if heat issues keep the G5 out of its league. Could call them the G5m.. take a page out of Intel's book.

Whatever the course they take, Apple got lucky Motorola designed the G4 so the same chip can be put in a desktop or a laptop. As much as I hate the ol Mot, they deserve some credit. I think they'll have to get IBM to create a different chip for thier laptops.. Not just a G5 clocked lower, or a smaller G5, but something different.

https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031211140409.shtml

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
What could Apple do in future versions of *books?

• How about a higher quality on Rev A devices. Ya know. The ones some people stay away from like the plague because Apple has a rep of having plenty of bugs in them.
  • How about a system bus that is somewhat respectable? Right now the current PowerBook's system bus speed is about 1/3 that of a laptops which is obviously a bottleneck.
  • How about options for a higher res on the 17" PowerBook? Someone from our corp HQ in Chicago rolled in with his new Thankpad G last Thursday. Had to setup his system for our office so while I was doing that I update his patchs. *sighs* patches. Anyways. The resolution was 1600 x 1200. Oh MY GOD! I think I almost had a geek orgasm right there.
  • Battery life could use a major boost.
  • As I've ranted before the Pentium M blows current G4 PowerBooks out of the water so there is a lot room for improvement there as well. (Lets face it the G4 is dead in anything but the ibook lines anyways so it's a moot point.
  • How about a set of decent speakers in the not so rare occasion when someone wants to listen to some music while they work or watch a movie without the headphones. The PowerBooks speakers are marginally acceptable but the iBooks are instruments of torture. My previous Compaq, and my current Toshiba (That has a freaking sub built in.) kicks the crap out of the speakers found on any *book.
  • OK so this is a personal pref but how about design the PowerBook series so that the touchpad and the mouse section can be upgraded on the site when you config your purchase to allow *drum roll* a two button mouse. I'm sitting here with the maintenance manuals for the 17" PowerBook. I'm seeing the layout inside the thing. This IS doable.
  • Possible overkill alert: IBM notebooks have a very cool feature called a security subsystem. This is basically a set of chips that store what on Macs are called keychains, along with other things such as VPN certs, and personal information. The software IBM has directly integrates into these chips allowing these keys to be in a more secure location. In addition to that from what I've read on IBM's site these chips aid in the encryption and decryption process taking the load off of the CPU. It's a very nice feature for those interested in security. For the average user this isn't a major concern but for last say someone in the healthcare industry or insurance industry, or [insert industry here that needs a very secure environment] it's a highly useful tool.
  • This is a little out there yet but OLED screen. Other then the CPU one of the biggest battery drainers is the LCD esp on something like the 17" PowerBook. An OLED screen would be a godsend.

I could go on and on.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
What could Apple do in future versions of *books?

• How about a higher quality on Rev A devices. Ya know. The ones some people stay away from like the plague because Apple has a rep of having plenty of bugs in them.

> Yep.
  • How about a system bus that is somewhat respectable? Right now the current PowerBook's system bus speed is about 1/3 that of a laptops which is obviously a bottleneck.

> Definitely
  • How about options for a higher res on the 17" PowerBook? Someone from our corp HQ in Chicago rolled in with his new Thankpad G last Thursday. Had to setup his system for our office so while I was doing that I update his patchs. *sighs* patches. Anyways. The resolution was 1600 x 1200. Oh MY GOD! I think I almost had a geek orgasm right there.

> Would be very attractive...

SNIP

• WiFi as standard seems to me might actually be cheaper than as an option...giving it to everybody brings the costs down.

If they could also pull the keyboard on the 17" a few inches towards the middle away from the screen, I think that would be an improvment.

Jason

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
well, once agian, i am one of those people waiting for updates... except this time i cant' afford it. {sigh} oh well, someday, someday

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.