Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinitenothing

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by UofI MacConvert
How much of a price drop did they have at the bookstore and where do yo u go to school?
Just $100 (but that makes the lowest Power book just 1299 after education discount). I'm guessing they are clearing the shelves of the old computers before the new ones come in and no one wants the old ones.

I'm not sure what day it took effect but the power books are the current models.

Infinitenothing

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by EK03
can high school students get discounts?
I think you might be able to get some discount but I'm not sure. Ask whomever buys computers at your HS. You must be a UCSD student or a professor to get it at that price (at least from our computer store). Others are similarly discounted

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW
Well, I just ordered a 17" PB today, and i was assured it would ship today, but it never did. It'd be nice to see a bump, but not gettin my hopes up.

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
didnt see that :)

I'll check it out.
Probably won't work with educational/developer discount.
\
thanks for the heads up

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
educational discounts are pretty much universal. you have to check with your school (college) or buy directly from apple.

high school students CAN get educational discounts. just look online @ apple.com

d00d

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Massachusetts
NO DISCOUNT FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS

It's amazing that all these students in high school that are seeking the educational discount aren't into reading.

From the Apple Education Online Store:
Who's Eligible?
- Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
- School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members
- PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
- Qualified homeschools
- Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool

Note no mention of students. Sorry to be harsh, but michaelrjohnson's quick and incorrect response to the questions emphasizing that a high school student can is so totally bogus that it warrants a harsh response.

skinEman23

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2004
True, technically high school students do not get discounts. However, if you are accepted to "an institution of higher education" then you do get the discount. So, if you are a senior and have been accepted somewhere, you can get the discount.

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
would have been more excited if the price drop occured in U.S stores as well...

Can you give an estimate how big is the discount?

Marc the Mac

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2002
United Kingdom
Originally posted by Bilba
would have been more excited if the price drop occured in U.S stores as well...

Can you give an estimate how big is the discount?

The discount is not that much really - I'd imagine that it is just to draw a little more attention to increase sales. But it could be an encouraging sign nontheless especially if we see similar drops elsewhere.

smartypantsguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2004
New York City
The discount is not that much really - I'd imagine that it is just to draw a little more attention to increase sales.
Ditto. I've gone through the "eductaional discount' process, and the resultant "discount" left something to be desired.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Originally posted by Marc the Mac
Just received an email from cwonline.co.uk shouting about price drops on G5's and powerbooks etc.

Maybe updates are getting closer?

How significant are the drops - and do they reflect a shift in exchange rate?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.