Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Are any 3rd party parts available yet? Because really don't need that 8TB drive. and the cable and cage should not be very hard to make for companies like OWC

In Mac Pro 5,1 era is there any similar Alternative?
When about those 3rd party parts come out after the Mac Pro 5,1 release?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Not helpful. The Pegasus J2i is an internal cage for two 3½" drives for the NcMP. Problem, it comes pre equipped with one 8 GB HDD. It is not a PCIe solution. I'm looking for a bare cage also.

The 5,1 cMP did not need such a device because it had the SATA drive trays,

Lou

Reactions: jwestpro

Casey P

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2020
There doesn't appear to be any alternatives, yet. I put in the J2i and it is well designed and the cables are well thought out. Relative to the cost of the Mac Pro or the hard drives that I put into the J2i, it doesn't seem like a huge expenditure, but it really should have been included in the Mac Pro. Of course, then people would complain that Apple was wasting their money by giving them a device that would only work with antiquated HDD.

Reactions: kittiyut

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
are you saying
There doesn't appear to be any alternatives, yet. I put in the J2i and it is well designed and the cables are well thought out. Relative to the cost of the Mac Pro or the hard drives that I put into the J2i, it doesn't seem like a huge expenditure, but it really should have been included in the Mac Pro. Of course, then people would complain that Apple was wasting their money by giving them a device that would only work with antiquated HDD.
are you saying all spinning HDD's are antiquated, or the specific HDD that comes with the pegasus is antiquated compared to other spinning HDD's?

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
I really like my Promise Pegasus J2i. The $360 (I get a discount) I spent for it was well worth it. I needed internal storage space, I did not already have an 8TB HDD on my shelf, I added a Seagate Exos 16TB HDD in the 2nd slot in the J2i, so have some 24TB of internal storage which was my goal. These two HDD will deliver around 250 MB/s read/write when they are first used (I've tested this).... probable will slow down as they fill up.

The J2i is very well designed and installs in a jiffy without any issues.

If people don't want to spend their money on the likes of the J2i and have external storage space readily available then that is a good choice for them. If you want to have internal storage and avoid the mess of cables and power bricks then the J2i can today provide some 32 TB and of the course there's the other Promise unit that has 4x 8TB for RAID consideration if so desired.

For me, I wanted no external cables to connect to storage. If a person has access to a File Server for storage that uses 10G then it's simple to run a 10G wire to the file server or the local 10G network switch in the office to avoid unnecessary cables. With this in mind the only cables needed would be, the 10G wire, the power cord and the cords for one or more display units.

Again, the J2i is a very convenient device and its cost is quite small compared to the MP7,1's total investment.

Last edited:

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
I really like my Promise Pegasus J2i. The $360 (I get a discount) I spent for it was well worth it. I needed internal storage space, I did not already have an 8TB HDD on my shelf, I added a Seagate Exos 16TB HDD in the 2nd slot in the J2i, so have some 24TB of internal storage which was my goal. These two HDD will deliver around 250 MB/s read/write when they are first used (I've tested this).... probable will slow down as they fill up.

The J2i is very well designed and installs in a jiffy without any issues.

If people don't want to spend their money on the likes of the J2i and have external storage space readily available then that is a good choice for them. If you want to have internal storage and avoid the mess of cables and power bricks then the J2i can today provide some 32 TB and of the course there's the other Promise unit that has 4x 8TB for RAID consideration if so desired.

For me, I wanted no external cables to connect to storage. If a person has access to a File Server for storage that uses 10G then it's simple to run a 10G wire to the file server or the local 10G network switch in the office to avoid unnecessary cables. With this in mind the only cables needed would be, the 10G wire, the power cord and the cords for one or more display units.

Again, the J2i is a very convenient device and its cost is quite small compared to the MP7,1's total investment.
what are you using as backup?

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I got one. I'm annoyed I had to get a stupid 8TB drive when the current large capacity drives are 16TB. It's just a stupid throw away. The bracket is ok at best. I think it's overly bulky, and not particularly great for ventilation/cooling.

My hope is folks 3d scan this, and improve it, and we can 3D print way better brackets. The space we have in there could easily hold 4-5 u.2 drives for example. That could be a LOT of very modern NVMe u.2 SSD storage space eg see here for example:

Slash-2CPU

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Someone here already posted a 3D file for making a cage. Around $100 to have a .com place print it and ship it to you.

Reactions: prefuse07

Casey P

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2020
are you saying

are you saying all spinning HDD's are antiquated, or the specific HDD that comes with the pegasus is antiquated compared to other spinning HDD's?

I'm saying that people who don't need large amounts of storage inside are going to be using flash storage instead of a spinning drive and would be tearing the J2i out of the Mac Pro in order to make room for some other device.

Reactions: Korican100

Virtuoso

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Seattle
I just got the new Sonnet Fusion RAID card today - it takes 2 SATA SSDs and can do RAID0/1/Span & JBOD. No need for a cage or cables - the drives mount onto the PCIe card. I stuck in 2x 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, set it to RAID0 and it's benchmarking at 943MB/s write and 1029MB/s read.

It's a cost effective way of using some drives that I had in a Blackmagic Multidock and getting the most out of them - I might get a second one!

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
what are you using as backup?
So here's my current setup...

Internal Storage (My total internal storage amounts to 30TB at this time)

1. Apple's boot 1TB SSD - This holds the macOS and user home folders.
  2. Sonnet PCIe x16 card holding a 2TB and 3x 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus blades. The 2TB is split into 2x 1TB, and one of these 1TB pieces is formatted as APFS and holds a CCC clone of the Apple's internal 1TB boot SSD. This leaves 4x 1TB that I use Disk Utility to RAID-0 providing 4TB of high-speed data transfer that I've measured to be 7.5 to 8.5 GBytes/sec.
  3. Promise Pegasus 2Ji with 1x 8TB and 1x 16TB HDDs.
    1. I use the 8TB HDD for "User Data" that is shared between two people; my son and me. I setup two folders on this 8TB HDD and protect them with permissions so that my son and me have security/protection from each other. This 8TB is HFS+ formatted.
    2. I use the 16TB HDD as follows; I partition it to be 1x 8TB, 1x 4TB and 1x 4TB.
      1. The 8TB is a backup for the 8TB "User Data" mentioned above.
      2. One of the 4TB partitions is used for backing up the Sonnet/Samsung 4TB RAID-0.
      3. The remaining 4TB partition is used for Time Machine backups for the internal Apple 1TB boot SSD. I do not have Time Machine configured to automatically backup every 1 hour. Instead I execute Time Machine backups periodically when required. When Time Machine backs up it will create a snapshot file on the internal Apple 1TB SSD and this can from experience consume too much space for my liking, although Apple claims the snapshots will be thinned out if free space falls below some threshold that I think is 10% free space remaining.
  4. I use CrashPlan/Code42 to selectively backup important data to the Code42's offsite servers. This runs either manually or runs quietly in the background.
  5. I have several Promise Pegasus R4, R6 and R8 (some TB1, some TB2 and one TB3). These are used for archiving Project data and allows the MP7,1's internal storage to be thinned at times after a Project finishes.
Backups are important as most people will agree. Periodically during idle times (who has idle time these days ?) I will test restores from these backups to ensure they work.

If I find I need more internal storage I can opt for the larger Promise Pegasus unit that holds 4x HDDs. If using 16TB HDD this would allow for another 64TB of internal storage).

I hope that helps you understand my data backup strategy I have. :)

Last edited:

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012

2. Sonnet PCIe x16 card holding a 2TB and 3x 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus blades. The 2TB is split into 2x 1TB, and one of these 1TB pieces is formatted as APFS and holds a CCC clone of the Apple's internal 1TB boot SSD. This leaves 4x 1TB that I use Disk Utility to RAID-0 providing 4TB of high-speed data transfer that I've measured to be 7.5 to 8.5 GBytes/sec.
    1. I use the 8TB HDD for "User Data" that is shared between two people; my son and me. I setup two folders on this 8TB HDD and protect them with permissions so that my son and me have security/protection from each other. This 8TB is HFS+ formatted.
    2. I use the 16TB HDD as follows; I partition it to be 1x 8TB, 1x 4TB and 1x 4TB.
      2. One of the 4TB partitions is used for backing up the Sonnet/Samsung 4TB RAID-0.
      3. The remaining 4TB partition is used for Time Machine backups for the internal Apple 1TB boot SSD. I do not have Time Machine configured to automatically backup every 1 hour. Instead I execute Time Machine backups periodically when required. When Time Machine backs up it will create a snapshot file on the internal Apple 1TB SSD and this conform experience consume too much space for my liking, although Apple claims the snapshots will be thinned out if free space falls below some threshold.
  4. I use CrashPlan/Code42 to selectively backup important data to the Code42's offsite servers. This runs either manually or runs quietly in the background.
  5. I have several Promise Pegasus R4, R6 and R8 (some TB1, some TB2 and one TB3). These are used for archiving Project data and allows the MP7,1's internal storage to be thinned at times after a Project finishes.
Backups are important as most people will agree. Periodically during idle times (who has idle time these days ?) I will test restores from these backups to ensure they work.

If I find I need more internal storage I can opt for the larger Promise Pegasus unit that holds 4x HDDs. If using 16TB HDD this would allow for another 64TB of internal storage).

I have a 4tb OWC accessior. And also the Pegasus with two 8tb HDDs. I love the idea of partitioning the large drives to back up the smaller ones. Thank you for sharing!

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Got the J2i today, and put IronWolf Pro 16TB + 14TB for daily work files backup
then put the stock Toshiba 8TB in my Drobo 5C for the other backup task.

MPP3.jpg

btw, are these cables are proprietary from apple? otherwise, I think it is easy to 3D print the cage and screws and buy cables

Reactions: weezin

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I'm saying that people who don't need large amounts of storage inside are going to be using flash storage instead of a spinning drive and would be tearing the J2i out of the Mac Pro in order to make room for some other device.

Translation: Apple's policy means anybody who wants to make "some other device" will have to create their own equivalent of the J2i frame and proprietary power connector (assuming Apple haven't managed to torture a patent out of it) rather than (say) designing it to fit in the sort of standard 3.5" bay with SATA or PCIe power that every other PCIe tower computer in the universe manages to provide as standard.

All people are asking is for the mounting bracket and power cable to be included - or even sold on their own for a reasonable price (...but then Apple thinks $400 is a reasonable price for a set of Ikea wheels) without being forced to buy 8TB of spinning rust.

Still, Apple seem to have the cash to include machined aluminium PCIe slot covers, what looks like about $100 worth of over-engineered packaging and a fantastically over-engineered sculptured dust intake.

tozzo

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
One of my old 8TB external Seagate drives was dismounting due to a loose connection (don't ask) so I wanted to rip out the housing and place it in my Pro. For some reason missed the Pegasus when it came out in December... It did the trick and it was mad easy to install. I was curious if it is ok to take off the black tape on the cables...? They can't really go in that slot made for them if wrapped up. No one seems to use that little slot I have noticed in the pics online, so I must not be the only one who does not want to jam it in there...

The good thing about this unit is that you can add SSD later if you want with an adapter. I do like the idea of the PCI card with the two SSDs... I missed that too, and got a single ssd pci holder from OWC.

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Got the J2i today, and put IronWolf Pro 16TB + 14TB for daily work files backup
then put the stock Toshiba 8TB in my Drobo 5C for the other backup task.

View attachment 892977

btw, are these cables are proprietary from apple? otherwise, I think it is easy to 3D print the cage and screws and buy cables

One of the cables are proprietary. The one closest to the rear.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Go to the 5:00 min mark:

Lou

That poor computer has suffered more than any Mac Pro 2019 thus far :p

Does make me wonder if you could put some soft lights in the PCIe bays and shine it through the front though. Would probably look more subtle than what he had going on.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^My Aorus RX5700XT has RGB lighting. If I peer through the grill I can see the lights.

Lou

buss69

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2020
London

3. The remaining 4TB partition is used for Time Machine backups for the internal Apple 1TB boot SSD. I do not have Time Machine configured to automatically backup every 1 hour. Instead I execute Time Machine backups periodically when required. When Time Machine backs up it will create a snapshot file on the internal Apple 1TB SSD and this can from experience consume too much space for my liking, although Apple claims the snapshots will be thinned out if free space falls below some threshold that I think is 10% free space remaining.

Thank you, found this very useful and inspired me to join the forum, cheers.
[automerge]1588322264[/automerge]
Someone here already posted a 3D file for making a cage. Around $100 to have a .com place print it and ship it to you.
Hi, do you happen to know what this link is called, I'm interested in having a cage printed, cheers.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
It's kind of surprising they don't sell a disk-less version. For someone using a heap of other PCIe slots, being able to put a couple of 2-4TB SATA SSD's in that space could be quite beneficial.

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
Are any 3rd party parts available yet? Because really don't need that 8TB drive. and the cable and cage should not be very hard to make for companies like OWC

In Mac Pro 5,1 era is there any similar Alternative?
When about those 3rd party parts come out after the Mac Pro 5,1 release?

Hi, do you happen to know what this link is called, I'm interested in having a cage printed, cheers.

DIY solution available. I suggest to read entire post from beginning.

Template

It also sad, why anything related with 7,1 it would expensive like crazy? Power cables, drive cages (not mentioned wheels) which is basically accessories must cost a fortune, even for fraction of market.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.