Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matrix1776

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2020
The Mac Pro is a huge enclosure, why not have the drives inside that, also dampening all the noise. If I'm going to plug in huge enclosures, might as well have the '13 Mac Pro form factor. Although at least it seems very high-end, and has great monitoring and RAID functionality.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ You unplug a few cable and lift off the enclosure. I have ten SSDs in mine? Really, that's the whole point of the elegant design - to not have a bunch of external crap.

Lou

buss69

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2020
London
DIY solution available. I suggest to read entire post from beginning.

Template

It also sad, why anything related with 7,1 it would expensive like crazy? Power cables, drive cages (not mentioned wheels) which is basically accessories must cost a fortune, even for fraction of market.
Thank you for taking the time to respond, that's really helpful. Cheers

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
FYI, the standalone Promise Technology SATA Cable for the Pegasus J2i (Part # CABSATAJ2I) is no longer being offered from B&H and hearing the same from several other resellers. It is still available from Adorama, but is not in stock and no indication on shipping. Indication that the cable might be cancelled from Promise.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^I actually ordered that cable from B&H on 6/13 and when I saw nothing forthcoming I cancelled it ten days later and ordered the Sonnet J3i. I know of no one who has received the Promise cable except for those who have ordered the full kit with the cage and HDD.

IMO, Promise made a strategic mistake by bundling the cage with the HDD and with the Sonnet unit are now paying the price.

I believe the Sonnet J3i is the better engineered unit.

1. It holds three drives
2. All the drives are mounted right side up
3. Sonnet's cabling scheme is superior

Lou

Reactions: jwestpro

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I agree, Promise should ship the cage empty and they will sell more.

Having owned the J2i, I actually appreciate the design and build quality they put into this expensive cage.

The drives are purposely mounted upside down from each other for a couple of thought out reasons:
1. To provide correct airflow towards the bottom of both drives. Ther mounting ensures more space for this.
2. This same orientation allows the cabling not to overlap against each other in a typical PC build. This allows for a more streamlined cabling arrangement versus a bulky arrangement and again goes back to a more streamlined airflow towards the drives.
3. Speaking of cabling - it has the exact length from end to end between connection (1) and (2) which are of slightly different length. This exact measurement may be frustrating for fat hands to put together as there is zero slack. But again, once connected - better airflow inside the case.
4. Braided cable similar in appearance to Apple's PRO cables and with zero drive disconnect issues unlike whoever supplied the cables for Sonnet.

Personally I don't need to mount three drives as this now slow connection is only used for back-up/Time Machine. Actual daily drives via NVMe PCIe cards anyway.

Which is why I don't understand why Promise supplied a HDD versus an SSD as well as offered an empty cage. They are clearly missing out on sales and are now under-appreciated for their build and design on it.

Reactions: jwestpro

Schismz

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
I agree, Promise should ship the cage empty and they will sell more.

[...]

Which is why I don't understand why Promise supplied a HDD versus an SSD as well as offered an empty cage. They are clearly missing out on sales and are now under-appreciated for their build and design on it.
Because Promise is all about price-gouging their customers as much as humanly possible.

On the flipside, they do make excellent hardware, I have a Pegasus R6 with RAID50. It's very nice. What's not so nice is having to replace a single drive and discovering their soft zinc screws in the sled, which make it nearly impossible to accomplish a simple drive swap without paying them for another sled and more screws.

In my own perception and humble observations: they can and do make quality hardware, and then somewhere along the chain their bean-counters have a group huddle to figure out how to **** over the customer as much as humanly possible, and make people dislike the company and go with a competitor whenever possible.

So, as a customer who has purchased both TB and TB3 hardware RAIDs from them, do I have anything negative to say about the actual product? No... But I dislike the company and its ethos as a whole and would buy something anywhere else given the opportunity to purchase a similar product.

Let's see... Buy a J2I and... I have to throw a Toshiba drive I don't want in the closet, or repurpose it to some other device. Or, buy Fusion Flex J3i...? Kinda a no-brainer.

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
I can’t tell if the promise comes with data cable for just one drive or 2?
It’s a combo cable. It’s a single cable with a pcie power plug and 2 sata plugs at one end that goes into Mac Pro. The other end has 2 sata plugs that go into the drive.

bax2023

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2023
Serbia
Made alternative myself :)

Its only for 2.5 drives (will use only SSDs) and I can attach 4 of them. Currently 2 SSDs are connected to Mac Pro's SATA ports and two additional ones (or maybe all 4) will be connected to dedicated SATA or SAS controller.

Here is the link for power cable which already has 4 SATA power connectors on it.

20240205_183056.jpg
20240205_183102.jpg
20240205_183128.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.